Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Recommend books with char. dev., drama, and edge.

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Lorfar Posted - 21 Apr 2014 : 01:10:04
I am trying to branch off of the legend of Drizzt, but the first books I read outside of legend of Drizzt were THE LOST LIBRARY OF CORMANTHYR, and ELMINSTER MAKING OF A MAGE. These books are well written but I don't seem to enjoy them as much as Harry Potter, Legend of the Seeker books, and Legend of Drizzt.

Could someone recommend me a few books set in the Forgotten Realms that are page turners? I got the recommendation for Elminster and Lost Library of Cormanthyr from the sticky 'Where should a new reader begin'
13   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
zenmichael Posted - 29 Apr 2014 : 16:32:54
quote:
Originally posted by Lorfar

I am interested in that series by Paul S. Kemp. So what you are saying is Sembia 2 is the first book in the series and they all connect somehow? Interesting I will research it a bit but why would the first book in the series have a 2 in it?

I'm sure you've found this out by now, but just to be clear: the book's name is Shadow's Witness. It's #2 in the Sembia series. Erevis also has a short story in #1 in the Sembia series, Halls of Stormweather.
Lord Karsus Posted - 28 Apr 2014 : 16:33:29
quote:

Does anyone know if there are any more books about Baylee Arnvold, or any of the other characters from the Lost Library of Cormanthyr? I am just kind of curious.

-There are not.
Seravin Posted - 28 Apr 2014 : 03:33:30
Finder's Stone trilogy for sure. By far my favorite Realms books are Azure Bonds and The Wyvern's Spur. Great plots and characters and set back in the Grey Box era of the Realms.
Thauranil Posted - 24 Apr 2014 : 14:19:23
Try out the Erevis Cale trilogy followed by the Twilight war trilogy by Paul Kemp.
Also Richard Lee Byres Haunted Lands trilogy is great.
If you want something a little different from the usual fantasy stuff I would suggest the Chosen of Nendawen trilogy.
Artemas Entreri Posted - 24 Apr 2014 : 03:48:03
Finder's Stone Trilogy
Prince of Lies & Crucible
The Shadow Stone
MagniThorson Posted - 24 Apr 2014 : 03:24:12
You should try the Erevis Cale trilogy or Songs and Swords series. The main characters receive great character development and have small intimate character moments along the way.

Both series have edge and their share of story tension.
Clegane Posted - 21 Apr 2014 : 15:46:01
I'll give another shout to Elaine Cunningham's Songs and Swords and would also recommend Starlight and Shadows by her as well.
Zireael Posted - 21 Apr 2014 : 10:01:02
I second Song and Swords series and would add Evermeet to the list.
jornan Posted - 21 Apr 2014 : 04:01:34
If you liked legend of Drizzt, Check out the War of the Spider Queen series as it is inter-related.

I would also read:

-Song and Swords by Elaine Cunningham
-Cale Series as previously outlined
-Richard Lee Byers Books in following order: Year of Rogue Dragons, The Haunted Lands Trilogy, The Brotherhood of the Griffon.
-Blades of the Moonsea by Richard Baker
-Finders Stone Trilogy by Kate Novak and Jeff Grubb

There are lots more that I would recommend, but that is a start.
Lorfar Posted - 21 Apr 2014 : 01:57:27
quote:
Originally posted by Crystyn

quote:

I am interested in that series by Paul S. Kemp. So what you are saying is Sembia 2 is the first book in the series and they all connect somehow? Interesting I will research it a bit but why would the first book in the series have a 2 in it?

Sembia is a series of books by different authors resolving about the city of Sembia, especially it's leading family.

I guess Erevis was so popular they asked Kemp to continue his story.

Thanks, I will definitely try and read this series.

Does anyone know if there are any more books about Baylee Arnvold, or any of the other characters from the Lost Library of Cormanthyr? I am just kind of curious.
Crystyn Posted - 21 Apr 2014 : 01:54:19
quote:

Sembia is a series of books by different authors resolving about the city of Sembia, especially it's leading family.

I guess Erevis was so popular they asked Kemp to continue his story.
Lorfar Posted - 21 Apr 2014 : 01:49:40
quote:
Originally posted by Crystyn

Harry Potter doesn't fit into the same sentence as Sword of Truth...

I'd try Evans Brimstone Angel followed by The Adversary (Sundering 3), I devoured those.

Paul S. Kemp. wrote a great series starting with Sembia 2, followed by the Erevis Cale trilogy, followed by the Twilight War Trilogy followed by The Godborn (Sundering 3)

I really liked the Avatar series, though I think most don't look favourably upon them.

The Clerics Quintet is an awesome series of R. A. Salvatore you might not have read so far. Cadderly Ivan and Pikel originate from those.

Crystyn Posted - 21 Apr 2014 : 01:34:42
Harry Potter doesn't fit into the same sentence as Sword of Truth...

I'd try Evans Brimstone Angel followed by The Adversary (Sundering 3), I devoured those.

Paul S. Kemp. wrote a great series starting with Sembia 2, followed by the Erevis Cale Trilogy, followed by the Twilight War Trilogy followed by The Godborn (Sundering 3)

I really liked the Avatar series, though I think most don't look favourably upon them.

The Cleric Quintet is an awesome series of R. A. Salvatore you might not have read so far. Cadderly Ivan and Pikel originate from those.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000