Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 RPG News & Releases
 Forgotten Realms 5E

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Kossuth Posted - 16 Apr 2014 : 15:09:19
Hi All,

I've been unable to find details online or on the forum: does anyone know when FR 5E is going to be released? So far, all I've found are references to 'Tyranny of Dragons'...

11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Delwa Posted - 17 Nov 2014 : 21:07:24
quote:
Originally posted by xaeyruudh

Nice! I like the Matrix parallel, since it allows you to keep as much as you like of your own work, perhaps only modifying little bits here and there, leaving the players constantly wondering what's real and just how much their perceptions were tampered with. If the mind flayers are capable of (or even just have a reputation for) implanting physical brain implants, or permanent psionic suggestions, the players may question reality and their own independence for the rest of the campaign. Doesn't need to be the focal point of the campaign of course, but it could make an undercurrent of tension and uncertainty, which can cause them to put more effort into investigating the world... and seeking friendships among clerics and mentalists, to constantly get their minds checked out. A little paranoia among the players can make a DM's work sooooo much fun.

I mean... so I hear. I would never do that...

Lol. Yep, it's working well. One of the PC's is on the inside of this, essentially the Illithid's gnome on the inside. The paranoia already there is great. They are generating so many plot twists for me just by bouncing ideas at each other before and during game,I just listen and take their ideas and twist them a little bit. Most of my story writing is done for me.
xaeyruudh Posted - 17 Nov 2014 : 20:59:06
Nice! I like the Matrix parallel, since it allows you to keep as much as you like of your own work, perhaps only modifying little bits here and there, leaving the players constantly wondering what's real and just how much their perceptions were tampered with. If the mind flayers are capable of (or even just have a reputation for) implanting physical brain implants, or permanent psionic suggestions, the players may question reality and their own independence for the rest of the campaign. Doesn't need to be the focal point of the campaign of course, but it could make an undercurrent of tension and uncertainty, which can cause them to put more effort into investigating the world... and seeking friendships among clerics and mentalists, to constantly get their minds checked out. A little paranoia among the players can make a DM's work sooooo much fun.

I mean... so I hear. I would never do that...
Delwa Posted - 17 Nov 2014 : 20:40:14
There was a date for current events. I'm unable to pull up my sources atm, but someone in charge of the organizers play league said Tyrrany of Dragons was set in 1487 or 89. I forget the precise date, but I'm sure it'll come up if I Google long enough. It was linked in a 5e Facebook group I follow, and I didn't bookmark it.

But as xaeyruudh points out, make the best of it. My solution for the interim is working out nicely. Most of my players don't know it yet, but they're all playing in the Matrix. When they "wake up," they'll find they've been part of some Illithid mind experiment. All their equipment and abilities will still be there, but it'll all be manifest through a passive psionic ability. That way nobody gets mad at me for taking their stuff, and I can re-tailor reality (provided they escape the Mind Flayers) to suit the new campaign setting if I like it.

U This will give you the current date.
xaeyruudh Posted - 17 Nov 2014 : 18:08:30
Given the uncertain time frame, I think we should find a way to enjoy this state of affairs. After all, we're not sure how long it will last.

So. Look at what's open. Think about your favorite parts of the Realms and what you would like to see happen there. Toss some ideas around here on the forum. Others will respond. Some will say "we'll have to wait and see" but the point is nah... we don't have to wait.

It's likely that a new campaign guide will contradict some things we come up with, but then we have a choice, and choice is good. Even in the "worst case scenario" where you start a campaign based on homebrew information, and then an official campaign setting book comes out and goes in a totally different direction, and you feel compelled to follow the canon... you can still finish your current game before switching to canon, and enjoy reading through the book in the meantime.

So the only way to lose this game is to not homebrew anything, and put your games on hold indefinitely.

I'm pretty sure, with the number of passionate people we have here, you can start a thread speculating about the future of any place in Faerun, and you'll get some responses.
Markustay Posted - 17 Nov 2014 : 17:05:05
Not only is there NO date, but they haven't even said they were going to do a new FRCG.
mouselim Posted - 17 Nov 2014 : 16:51:45
Hate to be picking up this thread after many months but is there a more concrete date for the FR campaign setting? So much has changed and happened (spellplague, sundering, volcano eruption, etc) and unless the DM wants to run the new adventures (Lost Mine of Phandelver, Hoard of the Dragon Queen/Rise of Tiamat) as without any campaign world concept, otherwise it is tantamount that there is actually some semblance knowledge on how the FR is now (with the release of 5e)
Kossuth Posted - 19 Apr 2014 : 18:28:23
True Ayrik - it's possible 'The Sundering' series' completion will lead into an announcement of some kind.
Ayrik Posted - 16 Apr 2014 : 22:53:04
Novel trilogies usually herald new D&D rulesets. Following announcements of novel release dates (such as they are) usually gives fair indication when the actual rules and setting publications will be ready for market.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 16 Apr 2014 : 19:08:40
I don't believe we even have a release date for the 5E ruleset; new rules usually predate the setting books.
Kossuth Posted - 16 Apr 2014 : 15:54:06
Ah, fair enough; I had a feeling I was missing something.

Thanks Eilserus.
Eilserus Posted - 16 Apr 2014 : 15:16:02
I don't believe we've been given a release date for a 5E FR Campaign Setting yet.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000