Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Fey'ri as a PC race

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Rekov Posted - 19 Feb 2014 : 10:26:31
I have been mulling over the viability of a fey'ri as a PC in a 3.5 campaign. Unfortunately, the bulk of my knowledge on this (to me) fascinating race stems from the Forgotten Realms wiki. For one, much of the knowledge here is muddled with 4E, which makes it a less reliable source for my purposes. That aside, there just isn't all that much written.

I know the Fey'ri are the hybrid children of sun elves and tanar'ri. Many were created as the result of House Dlardrageth corrupting a number of other houses, but I know that many of these were eventually destroyed.

My primary difficulty is one of a timeline. I can't seem to figure out when fey'ri were around. Where might a fey'ri have come from in the 1370s? What might a good origin be?
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
LordXenophon Posted - 01 Mar 2014 : 18:34:54
Power level is not the issue. Player characters aren't even supposed to know the Fey'ri exist until after they have been to what's left of Hellgate Keep or had dealings with the Eldreth Veluthra. They are about as hidden as a race can be. I'm not too thrilled about the idea of one stepping out into public view, where it might be noticed by other Elves.

If somebody really wants to roleplay that sort of character, I'd rather they did it as a Drow.
kysus Posted - 28 Feb 2014 : 20:32:44
LordXenophon@
quote:
I would never allow the Fey'ri in an ordinary Forgotten Realms campaign. The only times I might consider allowing them would be in a Planescape campaign or a campaign in which everyone plays a monster.

I can understand this if its dealing towards any race with level adjustments as sometimes I find through my games it can cause problems and or even bad drama with a mixed party of characters with level adjustments and others without. Other than that I see no reason not to allow Fey'ri in a Forgotten Realms game seeing as how the race was created for forgotten Realms. Also in my opinion I think of all the races with level adjustments ive seen played its probally among the least overpowered that I've had to deal with when having mixed parties.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 28 Feb 2014 : 18:55:48
quote:
Originally posted by LordXenophon

I would never allow the Fey'ri in an ordinary Forgotten Realms campaign. The only times I might consider allowing them would be in a Planescape campaign or a campaign in which everyone plays a monster.

Even though they originated in the Realms, back in 2E?

And keep in mind, fey'ri don't have to appear monstrous -- they can alter their appearance.
LordXenophon Posted - 28 Feb 2014 : 17:22:11
Kusghuul Posted - 27 Feb 2014 : 00:59:30
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Most fey'ri are those imprisoned with House Dlardrageth and freed with the destruction of Hellgate Keep. That said, there is nothing to keep there from having been fey'ri that were separate from that House and stayed free and hidden for millennia.

The 3E Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting, Races of Faerūn, and the Last Mythal trilogy are where you'll find the most info about the fey'ri.

There were only three fey'ri trapped under Hellgate Keep, namely Sarya, Ryvvik (deceased) and Xhalh according to the Hellgate Keep adventure. These were part of the original 7 escapees from their castle, which the grey elves placed under a mythal. When the Arcorari mages later lowered the mythal to check who was left, they accounted for everyone bar these 7. They then divined their whereabouts and curbstomped the remaining fey'ri, trapping the surviving three in their caves below what would become Hellgate Keep, where they remained until the Harpers blew up the venerable keep with Gatekeeper's Crystal.

However, there appears to have been some retconning. The previously mentioned [url=http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mb/20040519a]Threlya Dlardrageth[/url], seen as only three Dlardrageths are still alive. Additionally, LoD mentions Xhalh's daughter, an Ealoethi.

quote:
Originally posted by TBeholder

The point is, most are specifically Moon Elf and specifically Foocubus. Hence specific abilities.
The vaguely-generic thing comes up with quite sensible "the most common source of such a bloodline is a succubus" and then proceeds into meaninglessly generic area. And as the foocubi go, how to put this... ah! "Intimidate" is not the first skill that comes to mind. Let alone Power Attack and Smite Good. At least, in the usual sense.

Wrong on both accounts. Sun elves; Sarya is half balor, Xhalh half marilith, while Ryvvik is half vrock.

quote:
Originally posted by Fellfire

Dlardragreth/fey'ri and Eldreth Veluuthra cooperation? Being elitist racists, I doubt it, but enemies make for good bedfellows. Thoughts? What about them dragon-blooded elves? Enemies to both or neither?

As mentioned previously, Eldreth Veluuthra would never knowingly cooperate with fey'ri. Emphasis here on knowingly. Fey'ri have alter self as a spell-like ability.

quote:
Originally posted by sfdragon

ummmmm... they dont worship the seldarine..... various demon lords I would imagine, though I always considered sarya as being atheist

Actually, she has an interest in Ghaunadar. Faersynd Floshin, a cleric of Ghaunadar, has made most fey'ri at least superficially venerate That Which Lurks. As previously mentioned, they also seem to venerate
Wooly Rupert Posted - 26 Feb 2014 : 04:36:36
The flitter is a small, one-man ship. It's like a one-person shuttlecraft.

The gadabout isn't really a ship; it's a plant that wraps around the wearer and give them some air. If the flitter is a shuttlecraft, the gadabout is a spacesuit with a maneuvering system.
Fellfire Posted - 26 Feb 2014 : 01:05:58
Thanks again. This will need considerably more research. Looks like fun. Still not clear on the Flitter. Something bigger than the Gadabout? A way to give the Elfbane golems wings? Hopefully Wooly chimes in here. I'm still open to speculation on the Moondark clan. What relation, if any, did the exiles have with dragons or did they simply flee to Wildspace to escape the perversion of their kin?
TBeholder Posted - 26 Feb 2014 : 00:51:44
SJ fan site (see "Ships And Their Source Products" and "To-Scale Deckplans"). And the associated forum (search function is your friend and all that).
The Starwing (Ruathimaer) is Man-o-War variant from FOR5 "Elves of Evermeet".
Dragon-blooded elves are a big wildcard anywhere, of course, especially as their nature is not immediately obvious.
Fellfire Posted - 26 Feb 2014 : 00:37:38
Thanks for the info TBeholder. After a quick search for Starfly, I found the Gadabout. Where can I find more info on Flitters, Men o War, Starwings, Armadas and Mother's? I may try to work something up using Dretchroyaster and Wooly's Elfbane golems.
TBeholder Posted - 26 Feb 2014 : 00:18:50
quote:

Does ''wild talent'' imply some psionic nature?
Wild magical talents. As per Volo's Guide to all Things Magical. In 3e, perhaps should be modeled via Sorcerer - or better, there were some bloodline related feats with spells tied in.
quote:
Do skyships equate to spelljammer?
Those that leave the planet implicitly have to be. Mainly because there's almost nowhere to go without spelljamming speed (and Selune is not a good idea).
The "living ship" part fits into Elven SJ technology, i.e. altered Starfly plants. If it can be twisted into Gadabout, any EIN ship or Starwing (water-landing Man-o-War variant from Evermeet), there's no reason why not other variations. As long as they got seeds and right spells.

And yes, it follows that since a ship still is a living plant, a spirit may inhabit it just like any other massive plant, and Hamatree spell can bind the caster's lifeforce to it (Dryad style) - who then may stick around as a non-corporeal guardian undead, why not?
Fellfire Posted - 26 Feb 2014 : 00:00:02
Any speculation as to the true nature of the Moondark descendants? Forestlord elves? Does ''wild talent'' imply some psionic nature? Do skyships equate to spelljammer?
kysus Posted - 25 Feb 2014 : 23:02:15
Bonustopher has a fey'ri character from my games. I will tell him to post info on his character when he can get the chance but if im remember correctly he is a sorc but thats all i remember at the moment. I also have created a number of npc fey'ri that i used in the war with sarya and evermeet one of which is a necromancer.
Fellfire Posted - 25 Feb 2014 : 21:38:04
I'd be interested in hearing about others fey'ri PC's. I suppose warlocks make sense and I recall someone playing a bladesinger. How about it? Anybody else playing a fey'ri?
Drustan Dwnhaedan Posted - 22 Feb 2014 : 02:52:16
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

I wouldn't make the fey'ri atheists. I could definitely see some worshipping a deity like Shevarash, except that he's from the Elven Court... so I would believe he's either a moon or green elf. I can definitely see them worshipping Fenmarel Mestarine, being outcast elves (and his CN alignment is relatively close to theirs). Since they have demonic blood in their veins, I could see some turning to demon/cult worship, but not many. They still hold to their elven heritage strongly. I could also see some turning to non-seldarine but Archfey/Unseelie/Seelie powers (such as the Queen of Air and Darkness whom we know is Auril now).

According to Races of Faerun, a few non-evil fey'ri worship either Fenmarel Mestarine or Shevarash, but the latter ignores them, as he considers them to be as abhorrent as drow. RoF also states that very few fey'ri worship demons, preferring to worship proper deities. As near as I can tell, the only deity that seems to acknowledge the fey'ri is Ghaunadaur. Isn't it ironic (and strangely appropriate) that the only two deities who accept the demonfey (Fenmarel and Ghaunadaur) are gods of outcasts?
TBeholder Posted - 21 Feb 2014 : 17:20:00
quote:

Dlardragreth/fey'ri and Eldreth Veluuthra cooperation? Being elitist racists, I doubt it, but enemies make for good bedfellows. Thoughts? What about them dragon-blooded elves? Enemies to both or neither?

'(called "the Taint" by some elves)'? Eldreth Veluuthra tend to flip out at half-elven abominations, they probably wouldn't look any more kindly at other attempts to dilute the glorious elven blood with that of lesser creatures. That they are enemies of just about everyone includiing most potential allies is half of the joke.
A cautious alliance with Vhaerunites is acceptable for them, because while "there were issues" with Drow, they're still kind of elves and currently simply aren't the greatest threat. When not herded into unholy wars by spider-loving matrons, few are eager to visit the surface at all, much less come to stay, and those who do suffer from population being barely self-sustaining, rather than breed like rabbits.

Dlardrageth wanted to be the next Vyshaan, so humans stand on their way, but they also have scores to settle with other elves. Not that getting humans and elves to fight each other won't be a good thing. Individuals may have their own views on this, of course. Case in point: Threlya Dlardrageth. Same goes for Drow, and Vhaerunites in High Forest are simply dangerous rivals.
Dragonblooded elves can be rivals in the long run and/or natural allies. Specifically the Moondark clan is absent. If they returned, perhaps - but this also depends on their relation to the old Elven realms: Surbrin isn't too far from Eaerlann and Siluvanede. And it's too close to their High Forest haunts to ignore.

With the Moondarks, it's a toss. They could consider the Daemonfey misguided, but be sympathetic to Siluvanede problems and the whole "being hunted" situation, or could be as hostile as most elves.
MrHedgehog Posted - 20 Feb 2014 : 22:38:35
Perhaps over the eons some Fey'ri might have gotten over their hatred of other elven races?

A group of fey'ri and a faction of Eldreth Veluuthra might cooperate even if the organizations/groups as a whole do not.
Foxhelm Posted - 20 Feb 2014 : 22:17:51
quote:

All elves (generally but there are always exceptions especially in the Realms or under Ed Greenwood) think the Fey'ri and House Dlardragreth are abominations for mixing their blood with demons/succubi/fiends.

That said, if the Fey'ri can keep their secret by shape-shifting and avoiding detection (especially magical detection), these could be a workable fit. They both pretty much hate anything but an elf, excluding drow. The Fey'ri could work on converting and corrupting them to their thinking. Or sun elves to use for breeding stock. The only problem is the Eldreth Veluuthra has a number of other elves, including quite the number of moon elves, and house D hates Moon Elves more the humans.

Now if they could over come that hatred... they might have a ready made military/spy force for conquest.

So conflicts for plots all around...
MrHedgehog Posted - 20 Feb 2014 : 22:14:11
Presumably although fey'ri are technically a certain bloodline there could be other vectors for fiendish elven bloodlines that could use the same game statistics.

I think the Eldreth Veluuthra would hate the fey'ri more than even humans or half-elves. Breeding with fiendish Although they are evil that not all things we label evil would necessarily cooperate.
Fellfire Posted - 20 Feb 2014 : 22:01:21
Foxhelm Posted - 20 Feb 2014 : 16:53:32
My points-

--One there is the fact while a large number, thousand/s of Half-Demon elves and Fey'ri were sealed in Evil Trashcans, the Fey'ri are default shape-changers. So you can imagine how easy any number of them could slip past the hunters. Especially as the elves forgot and/or stopped looking.

--Practicality would mean mating with Moon Elves by those who were not trapped is possible and an option. Of course, these blendings could create Moon Elf Fey'ri, but would likely be seen as abominations by Sarya.

--One of the Writers/Editor/Workers of WoTC, who worked on Fey'ri said non-sun elf Fey'ri are possible with similar mixing of demon/succubus, which is not common with elves but possible.

Result: Non-sun Elf Fey'ri are possible but range from uncommon to rare as hens teeth.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 20 Feb 2014 : 16:40:29
quote:
Originally posted by TBeholder

quote:
Originally posted by Drustan Dwnhaedan

I thought most fey'ri were descended from Sun Elves.
Well, yes.
House Dlardrageth were the first, Aelorothi, Ealoeth and other early followers were Sun elves too, of course. But then it continued for millenia as Eaerlann vs. Siluvanede, and some random followers joined later, so... there were a lot of them, over time.
Rules-wise it probably should apply to everyone else anyway, but lore-wise... I'm almost sure about seeing an explicit refernce to Moon Elven tieflings somewhere, but can't remember where.
Of course, since the House Dlardrageth and its associates are the ones who actively seek troubles, survival ratio... may vary. Which returns us to the original issue of renegade Fey'ri.

I think it's also possible that in the millennia since the fey'ri were imprisoned, others could have arisen... Maybe some of the original fey'ri managed to hide and reproduce; maybe, in the intervening years, other elves (especially gold elves) thought that House Dlardrageth had a good idea and decided to do a little creative breeding themselves.
sleyvas Posted - 20 Feb 2014 : 12:49:05
I wouldn't make the fey'ri atheists. I could definitely see some worshipping a deity like Shevarash, except that he's from the Elven Court... so I would believe he's either a moon or green elf. I can definitely see them worshipping Fenmarel Mestarine, being outcast elves (and his CN alignment is relatively close to theirs). Since they have demonic blood in their veins, I could see some turning to demon/cult worship, but not many. They still hold to their elven heritage strongly. I could also see some turning to non-seldarine but Archfey/Unseelie/Seelie powers (such as the Queen of Air and Darkness whom we know is Auril now).
kysus Posted - 20 Feb 2014 : 10:06:22
I believe the book your talking about is Lords of darkness pg 126. Its just gold elves that they are kidnapping. In the lords of darkness and cloak and dagger you get the direct impression that sarya and the other fey'ri are racist against moon elves for what earlann and sharrven did to them in the war.
Gary Dallison Posted - 20 Feb 2014 : 10:00:22
I believe one of the plot hooks/rumours in a 3rd edition book had the fey'ri kidnapping moon elves and using them as breeding stock to replenish their numbers.

Of course it may just have been a rumour but it sounds like something they would do
TBeholder Posted - 20 Feb 2014 : 09:53:40
quote:
Originally posted by Drustan Dwnhaedan

I thought most fey'ri were descended from Sun Elves.
Well, yes.
House Dlardrageth were the first, Aelorothi, Ealoeth and other early followers were Sun elves too, of course. But then it continued for millenia as Eaerlann vs. Siluvanede, and some random followers joined later, so... there were a lot of them, over time.
Rules-wise it probably should apply to everyone else anyway, but lore-wise... I'm almost sure about seeing an explicit refernce to Moon Elven tieflings somewhere, but can't remember where.
Of course, since the House Dlardrageth and its associates are the ones who actively seek troubles, survival ratio... may vary. Which returns us to the original issue of renegade Fey'ri.
kysus Posted - 20 Feb 2014 : 09:40:07
Over all i would say no the fey'ri don't worship deities reasons for this are most of the fey'ri are from silvuanede which, i can't remember what book it was in at the moment, but silvuande was much less religious than the other elven nations at the time even going so far as to outlaw temples of the seldrine in their cities. This way of thinking would have also have been picked up by the fey'ri. Now with that being said there was a small minority or should i say cult of fey'ri that had picked up the worship of Ghaunadaur lead by lord Faersynd floshin ( you can find that information in cloak and dagger pg 94 another book that i forgot to mention). As for as demon lords i wouldn't say worship, but sarya had a working relationship with melakezid which i think is actually a yugloth but dont qoute me on his race. Melakezid was the one that corrupted the vyshaan into doing all that evil stuff in the crown wars and giving them all that crazy war magic as well. But as for as the details between him and sarya ill just let you read the novels so as not to spoil a story.
sfdragon Posted - 20 Feb 2014 : 09:33:19
ummmmm... they dont worship the seldarine..... various demon lords I would imagine, though I always considered sarya as being atheist
Rekov Posted - 20 Feb 2014 : 08:53:16
I just grabbed a copy of Last Mythal off of Google Play, as it so happens. I'm not sure if I'll answer this my self in the course of reading it, but do the fey'ri under Sarya worship a particular deity, or a particular demon lord?
kysus Posted - 20 Feb 2014 : 08:28:02
cool beans all of the houses i named are gold elf houses sarya had no moon elves in her army and in "lords of darkness" it specifically says she is capturing only gold elves to breed more fey'ri. you can also look in the cormanthyr empire of elves book for some of those families to see what their crests are to add more to your character background.

Oh forgot about this too I should have listed this in the books for sources is the last mythal trilogy by richard baker has alot on sarya and her army for information.
Rekov Posted - 20 Feb 2014 : 08:14:32
You guys have been enormously helpful. Thank you so much! We're going with 1375, apparently, so I think I will pick one of the survivors of Sarya's little campaign. Maybe of Reithel or Yesve. I don't recall which of those houses were mostly sun elves and which were mainly moon elves, but I suppose it hardly matters in the end.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000