Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 WizKids Announces New D&D Miniatures Line

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Dark Wizard Posted - 07 Feb 2014 : 20:24:34
Announcement here, with concept images: http://www.wizards.com/dnd/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4news/20140207
quote:
From Wizards.com

This summer, WizKids will debut an all-new line of Dungeons & Dragons pre-painted miniatures that complement the recently announced Tyranny of Dragons storyline.

Following news of the Tyranny of Dragons storyline, we are thrilled to announce our partnership with WizKids Games to produce an all-new line of pre-painted miniatures for Dungeons & Dragons. Look for the first set of minis to coincide with the launch of the highly-anticipated next edition of the D&D TRPG, set to release in summer 2014.

"We are very excited at the opportunity to join the party and work with our friends at Wizards of the Coast to enrich the Dungeons & Dragons tabletop experience for adventurers worldwide," said Justin Ziran, President of WizKids. "With all the tools WizKids brings to the table, we figure this partnership will be a critical hit," said WizKids Director of Business and Legal Affairs Alexis Mueller.

"This year is going to be the biggest in Dungeons & Dragons' history," said Nathan Stewart, Brand Director for Dungeons & Dragons. "It’s important for us to work with strong partners such as WizKids to ensure fantastic Tyranny of Dragons experiences for all D&D fans."

Find out more at: www.wizkidsgames.com/dnd.

While most of them are 'generic' (except for Drizzt), they use Realms specific terms like Sun Elf and Gold Dwarf. The miniatures seem to be molded in the art-style of the Forgotten Realms concept images revealed last year.
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Plaguescarred Posted - 10 Feb 2014 : 17:22:18
Great news, these look great to boot!
Dark Wizard Posted - 09 Feb 2014 : 23:25:02
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I also wouldn't mind seeing them actually make a 'D&D lite' version that uses the Wizkids rules (or a variation there-of). It would be a great way to introduce new players to the broader scope of D&D and The Realms. Imagine a set of minis that can pull double-duty - thats what I am talking about!

Good point. Whether for the holidays or a birthday, there's more traction in giving kids, especially younger ones, something tangible and visual like toys (aka miniatures) compared to books (D&D books or even paper-based starter sets).
Markustay Posted - 09 Feb 2014 : 22:44:30
I'm a 'minis guy', and I think the Wizkids line was always very well done, where as the D&D minis were... well... hit or miss.

So I'm looking forward to seeing what Wizkids do for the line; lord knows plenty of companies have been given a shot with them in the past (the metal ones).

From a more panoramic view of things, its good to see the WotC guys delegating. They are handing the minis line to a group that do that well, and that means they aren't trying to keep everything so close to their vest, as they did in 4e, which bodes well overall. Play to your strengths, and let others worry about the bits and drabs (accessories and what-not).

I also wouldn't mind seeing them actually make a 'D&D lite' version that uses the Wizkids rules (or a variation there-of). It would be a great way to introduce new players to the broader scope of D&D and The Realms. Imagine a set of minis that can pull double-duty - thats what I am talking about!
Thauranil Posted - 08 Feb 2014 : 11:35:01
Some of them look pretty cool but others are a bit too generic. Still it might make for a good gift for kids.
Tyrant Posted - 08 Feb 2014 : 05:33:51
I don't play PnP D&D so for me buying them will come down to A) is there a separate game for them as there was with the last series or B) are there any that I think look good with the hordes of other D&D minis I already have from the last game. This does make one decision I have been contemplating lately potentially quite a bit easier though. It's probably time to sell some of my D&D minis.
Dark Wizard Posted - 08 Feb 2014 : 02:06:10
I'm reading the same sentiments from other potential customers (see what you're buying), but the company likes the blind packs (as do some stores, according to some people who know store owners). Reason being the sales are higher with blind packs.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 07 Feb 2014 : 20:50:05
Some of them look good... But whether or not I buy any is going to be dictated by one very important factor: how they are sold. I will not buy them blind. I wasted enough money on that when I was into CCGs.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000