Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Raumathar/ spell wards / living spells

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
sleyvas Posted - 27 Jan 2014 : 16:28:16
The countryside surrounding the towers is roamed by spell wards, free-willed magical constructs that seem to be spells given life.

I first want to note that Unapproachable East came out in May 2003 and that Eberron came out in June 2004. So, given the below quote, I feel it safe to assume that the Raumathari (or possibly even Imaskari predating the Raumathari... I especially wonder if Imaskari since it stops divine magic near it.... though if it were, it would fall far outside of the Imaskari Empire) either accidentally or on-purpose created living spells near the Ring of Gray Flames.

So, then I started thinking to myself..... could there be something there that's churning out new ones? I also thought it might be interesting to see what kinds of creative living spells people can come up with (not with necessarily a dependence on another creature mind you, like a electricity immune creature working with a living lightning bolt... though if the spell creates its own partners that's interesting).

Here's some that came to my mind

"Sphere of Ultimate Destruction" living spell
"Sphere of Ultimate Destruction" living spell w/ invisible spell metamagic enhancement

any damage spell with empower or maximize added proves easily and quickly interesting... less threat to upper level parties who can probably make the saves, but deadly to lower level ones.

any kind of fire spell with the searing spell & fiery spell metamagic enhancements from sandstorm

a spell that does negative energy damage and has both the enervate spell and fell animate metamagic enhancements from libris mortis (and thus, it does 50% extra damage to living, heals undead, and creates zombies from anyone it kills)

a healing spell with the energize metamagic enhancement from libris mortis (such that it does +50% extra damage to undead). Having this be an awakened living spell with the awaken ooze spell could make for an interesting friendly encounter where this spell is being attacked by say wraiths or something

any kind of cold spell with the piercing cold from Frostburn and/or Lord of the Uttercold from CArcane metamagic enhancements

Chain spell applied to targeted living spells would be interesting and have wide uses.

Area effect living spells with widen on bursts or enlarge on cones AND explosive spell (CArcane)would prove an interesting way to keep pushing players away from the living spell.

a living spell that has invisible spell (cityscape) and delay spell (CArcane) metamagic enhancements could be interesting as it slides on up to a party, drops 4 versions of its spell and then leaves around the corner the round before they all go off.

A non-lethal substitution metamagically enhanced living spell can be an interesting way to subdue a party. This could also be interesting for a "living spell with a conscience" that's been awakened with awaken ooze.

Another interesting "friendly living spell" use would be some area effect spell with sculpt spell metamagic feat, and have it be awakened with the awaken ooze spell.

From unapproachable East pg 134, in the Rashemen section

THE RING OF GRAY FLAMES
Raumathari ruins are usually clusters of tall towers, most of
which are fallen or severely damaged. Guarded by lethal and
large-scale battle-spells, some leach magic into the nearby area,
creating odd effects and mutating natural creatures. Their
treasures are usually spells designed to slaughter large numbers
of foes or items that augment sorcerers’ magic. One ruin,
called the Towers of Smoke by the nearby villagers, constantly
leaks a plume of deadly vapors (equivalent to a cloudkill spell)
and is said to be guarded by iron golems of many sizes.

The most famous ruin is the Ring of Gray Flames, a circle
of five narrow towers, each with a harsh gray fire burning
atop it. The flame emits only a feeble light but disrupts divine
magic brought near it. Occasionally, grinding noises can be
heard within the two intact towers. The countryside surrounding
the towers is roamed by spell wards, free-willed magical
constructs that seem to be spells given life.

2   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
sleyvas Posted - 27 Jan 2014 : 17:13:14
Oh, and one of the things that's coming to mind is something like a dark elven priest of Ghaundaur coming up from Undrek'Thoz (possibly the fungi enriched city of Drezz'Lynur). This priest is given a vision of amassing great power by visiting the ring of gray flames. He begins awakening the living spells with the awaken ooze spell. Possibly other Ghaundadaur worshippers follow him, and a cult begins to grow up around worship of these unusual oozes. Perhaps they begin encroaching on wychlaran territory.
The Arcanamach Posted - 27 Jan 2014 : 17:10:14
Your post just gave me an idea. What if you combined multiple 'living spells' into one? Imagine a darktentacles type of creature where each tentacle is a type of living spell from your list. To make matters worse, the central mass of the creature is a maximized healing spell with the awakened ooze combination that heals itself.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000