Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Tyranny of Dragons

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Brian R. James Posted - 23 Jan 2014 : 18:33:57
Just in case you thought The Sundering was the final Realms Shaking Event...enter the Tyranny of Dragons.

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/Article.aspx?x=dnd/dnd/tyrannyofdragons
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
The Arcanamach Posted - 29 Jan 2014 : 01:29:39
Being laid off after that long with the company had to suck. Of course, I dunno what the inner workings of the company were at the time...there's been much speculation on the matter.
Dark Wizard Posted - 28 Jan 2014 : 21:31:00
Steve Winter is currently a freelancer, but he was a long-time staff at TSR (started 1981) and later WotC. He was let go from his position December 2011 (typical winter layoffs).

As he said in his blog post for the 40th Anniversary of D&D, "I've been neck-deep in D&D for 36 of those 40 years, and for 33 of them I've earned my living from it."

He was an editor of many products in the 1st and 2nd Edition line, this continued through 3E and well into 4E.

He's credited as co-creator of the Marvel Super Heroes Game (Wiki: Jeff Grubb designed both editions, and Steve Winter wrote both editions). Editor for Star Frontiers, Gangbusters, World of Greyhawk, Top Secret and I think some of Boot Hill (going by internet sites, but I'm sure if you crack open the covers of these products you'll see his name in them).

He designed the Complete Psionics Handbook (2E), Historical Reference: A Mighty Fortress (2E), and for 3E he designed Monsters Manual II and Lords of Madness.

For the Realms, he co-wrote the Ruins of Adventure, which would become the Pool of Radiance computer game.

He is the current editor of Dragon Magazine (DDI).

We can add designer of Tyranny of Dragons to his extensive list of credits.

Edit: Sniped by Demzer. Yeah, I'm quite certain that's the Steve Winter we're talking about.
Demzer Posted - 28 Jan 2014 : 21:30:08
quote:
Originally posted by The Arcanamach
Does anyone know anything about Steve Winter?

Is he this Steve Winter? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Winter
Kyrel Posted - 28 Jan 2014 : 21:11:06
I think I'll restrain my comment on this development to this: "GROAN"
The Arcanamach Posted - 28 Jan 2014 : 15:35:54
Hail and well met GreyhawkGrognard...I did not realize you were a lurker at Candlekeep!

Does anyone know anything about Steve Winter?
GreyhawkGrognard Posted - 28 Jan 2014 : 15:27:02
quote:
Originally posted by Derulbaskul

Apparently two things sell really well for WotC: dragons and drow. On that basis, and considering their skeleton crew these days, I can understand from a business perspective simply going back to an old well rather than trying to thing of something more creative.

Bear in mind that these adventure modules are apparently being written by a freelancer, Steve Winter:

At the moment, however, I'm writing the first set of adventures that will be published for D&D Next -- Tyranny of Dragons, look for it this summer -- and I'm behind on my deadline (I'm always behind on one deadline or another, it seems).

Source: http://www.howlingtower.com/2014/01/happy-40th-birthday-d.html
Wooly Rupert Posted - 27 Jan 2014 : 21:45:52
I'm sure the use of the word Viking was not intended in-setting. That's a press release, more than anything. Most of the press wouldn't know the difference between a hobbit and a hole in the ground, so WotC simplified it for them.

Note also the use of the phrase "Forgotten Realms" -- to the inhabitants, it's not at all forgotten, and is just called the Realms.
Bakra Posted - 27 Jan 2014 : 21:35:48
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

The Temple reminds me of the Twisted Temple of Istar from Dragonlance.

Viking type Longships are common in the Swordcoast...from the Moonshae Isles to Luskan, these ships are used by many. I think they are viable as a navy for the sorts of lightning raids they are talking about.

So far I will wait and see...but I'm hearing "Dragonlance" in my head right now, and I'm sure Laura and Tracy Hickman and Margaret Weiss are sure to see the similarity as well!

I have one thing here that will pretty much remove me from the Realms if they do it: if all the Good Dragons stay out of it because the evil dragons have stolen their eggs...I swear to all that is unholy or holy that I will leave the Realms behind.

Those Longships are common in the Swordcoast but the word 'Viking' as far as I know doesn't exist in the Realms. I see the word 'viking' it pulls me out of the game. Unless it was intentional. Tiamat opened a portal up to Earths past for example. As for the Dragonlance theme, well in the annotated Dragonlance Chronicles the age old question about Takhisis and Tiamat being the one and the same was unofficially answered. Maybe someone at WotC decided to make it Grubb-official.
The Arcanamach Posted - 27 Jan 2014 : 20:06:01
quote:
I have one thing here that will pretty much remove me from the Realms if they do it: if all the Good Dragons stay out of it because the evil dragons have stolen their eggs...I swear to all that is unholy or holy that I will leave the Realms behind.

I'm sure they wont go that route but I think I would be right behind you if they went that far with it. In fact, the similarities likely need to stop where they are...anything more would be a bit much.
Dalor Darden Posted - 27 Jan 2014 : 05:01:38
The Temple reminds me of the Twisted Temple of Istar from Dragonlance.

Viking type Longships are common in the Swordcoast...from the Moonshae Isles to Luskan, these ships are used by many. I think they are viable as a navy for the sorts of lightning raids they are talking about.

So far I will wait and see...but I'm hearing "Dragonlance" in my head right now, and I'm sure Laura and Tracy Hickman and Margaret Weiss are sure to see the similarity as well!

Thorn Illance Posted - 27 Jan 2014 : 03:37:28
After reading a bunch of old posts here at the Keep re: RSEs, I think it's pretty obvious that "Tyranny of Dragons" will be very similar to "Rise of the Underdark"; it's a marketing event that will be Dragon-centric.

Anyone even know what the Realms-shaking consequences of RotU were? There were none. Hell, Irvin's book, "Demon Weave", was apparently cancelled. Johnson's "Spider and Stone" hardly garnered any discussion.

I think Brian's OP was meant to stir the hive. Unfortunately, there is a very small, effectively marginal group of fans who just can't wait to poo-poo everything Wizards does.
Dark Wizard Posted - 27 Jan 2014 : 01:15:54
Dragon-centric supplements from 3E, aside from those FR-specific sources listed by sleyvas above.

- Draconomicon
- Races of the Dragon
- Dragon Magic (Wizard's marketing research found books with "Dragon" or "Magic" in the title sold the most, why not combine them!)
- Red Hand of Doom adventure (Tiamat focused, and I believe there were adaptation notes for FR)
- MM IV (I think it was #4, had lots of Dragonspawn type creatures)

To be fair, most of those probably arose from the Year of the Dragon.

Seems like we get one Dragon event per edition, 4E had Scales of War, looks like Tyranny of Dragons is the one for 5E.

sleyvas Posted - 26 Jan 2014 : 15:30:43
Ah, unless it has some really interesting plot twists, I'm bored with it already. We had the rage of dragons, then the dragons of Faerun book, then the brotherhood of the griffin novels dealing with dragonkind.

As I stated before, if these "Viking longships" have something to do with the long-lost northmen and the other continents of Toril, and they plan on giving actual details to those cultures... then they may have my attention. But, it better not be a whole continent that all worships dragons (i.e. I can understand a subjugated subset or a deluded cult). Otherwise if its just the people of Ruathym or Luskan or the Moonshaes joining up with dragons, I'm gonna yawn my way to the bank... where my money will stay.
Derulbaskul Posted - 26 Jan 2014 : 15:07:49
Apparently two things sell really well for WotC: dragons and drow. On that basis, and considering their skeleton crew these days, I can understand from a business perspective simply going back to an old well rather than trying to thing of something more creative.

Dragons and drow work, and that also means we will see some sort of drow event/tickling once this one has shuffled to a zombie-like demise....

quote:
Originally posted by Plaguescarred

It reminds me of the 4E adventure path Scales of War

Me too but maybe this time WotC will write it as a real adventure path rather than a random collection of randomly generated monsters that randomly link to other random adventures.

(For those who do not know, Scales of War was written without the "benefit" of any sort of overall outline which was why a campaign synopsis was never provided at any point. It also explains why the links between the adventures - and the encounters within the adventures, and the monsters within the adventures - are tenuous at best.)

quote:
Originally posted by The Arcanamach

Mayhaps we will hear from Ed on this one. He's supposed to be at the helm again so I'd be interested to hear his thoughts on the subject.

I think it would be overstating things to say he's at the helm. Ultimately, WotC is calling the shots here and you can practically guarantee that a number of WotC folks aren't keeping Ed fully informed. And he's much too much of a gentleman to comment on that in public.
Thauranil Posted - 25 Jan 2014 : 14:16:32
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Yeah, I need to know more about their over-arcing plans and this 'multi-platform' thing before I even know how to begin to feel about any of this. It does sound an awful lot like the 'Rise of the Underdark' non-event. (which I now christian an RTE - a "Realms Tickling Event").

RTE hilarious. I hope you dont mind if I steal that.
Shadowsoul Posted - 25 Jan 2014 : 11:53:54
I just can't shake this bad feeling I have about the whole thing.
Dark Wizard Posted - 25 Jan 2014 : 06:59:45
I was merely pondering about the timing rather discounting a possible connection, but it's a valid point you're making about a potential causality.

Nothing to indicate it is (and copywriters love "In the aftermath of The Sundering..."), but nothing that says it's not.

The Arcanamach Posted - 25 Jan 2014 : 06:21:56
That doesn't mean the story arc can't be tied to the sundering as part of its fallout
Dark Wizard Posted - 25 Jan 2014 : 04:40:12
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Grenemyer

The FRCG won't be released before the 5E D&D rules. WotC is publishing adventures in the Realms currently.

This event to me is starting to feel more like something to tide people over until the Sundering takes place, as well as something to draw more attention to the Realms in the lead up to the Sundering.

That's kind of the impression I got, too...

Isn't this an event for later in 2014 (as indicated in the announcement)?

The Sundering is happening right now. We're already three novels in and two Encounter modules done with another on the way towards progress on the Sundering.

Doesn't seem to be happening concurrent with the Sundering, unless "later in 2014" means in time for the latter half of the Sundering.

Or maybe the Sundering novels & modules will only set up the Sundering and the results will appear in the 5E FRCG. Then the Tyranny of Dragons will be an interim event.

The Arcanamach Posted - 25 Jan 2014 : 01:56:56
It's likely connected to The Sundering in some fashion. My only concern is 'logical disconnect' in that it deals with big, nasty, powerful dragons. So, it SHOULD be a RSE because of the damage that should be caused, but if they don't have an impact on par with their power then the story arc becomes illogical. Yes, I know the adventurers are supposed to put a stop to it but such a group would (IMO) need to be rather powerful to pull it off. We will have to see how it's handled.
Mapolq Posted - 24 Jan 2014 : 22:39:08
It seems like it could be an RSE, but then again maybe not. We'll have to wait and see as always, I suppose. Couldn't expect WotC never to put out anything dealing with big dangers and big names again, after all (though it does seem very soon for it...).
Wooly Rupert Posted - 24 Jan 2014 : 22:03:06
quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Grenemyer

The FRCG won't be released before the 5E D&D rules. WotC is publishing adventures in the Realms currently.

This event to me is starting to feel more like something to tide people over until the Sundering takes place, as well as something to draw more attention to the Realms in the lead up to the Sundering.

That's kind of the impression I got, too...
Jeremy Grenemyer Posted - 24 Jan 2014 : 20:41:19

The Arcanamach Posted - 24 Jan 2014 : 20:32:39
Mayhaps we will hear from Ed on this one. He's supposed to be at the helm again so I'd be interested to hear his thoughts on the subject.
Eilserus Posted - 24 Jan 2014 : 15:41:17
I always figured the Spellplague required the gods to "shack up" with each other for a time. Safety in numbers and all that. Hopefully in 5E they will all have re-established their own places of power again.
Gyor Posted - 24 Jan 2014 : 14:33:29
According to 4e Tiamat is prowling Banehold, so this is something that will need to be explained in how she's also stuck in Baator.
Gyor Posted - 24 Jan 2014 : 14:31:36
I wonder if this means a new Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting Guide will be released this year as well? After all how can Authors write for a world that has been defined yet, it could end up a mess.

I also wonder if this means that the only novels released will deal with the Sundering Series and the Tyranny of Dragons this year.
Markustay Posted - 24 Jan 2014 : 12:53:40
Yeah, I need to know more about their over-arcing plans and this 'multi-platform' thing before I even know how to begin to feel about any of this. It does sound an awful lot like the 'Rise of the Underdark' non-event. (which I now christian an RTE - a "Realms Tickling Event").

quote:

To me, it sounds like it's in the neighborhood of an RSE, if not an RSE itself... And that does not please me.
Agreed

quote:

I like this direction for the Cult, though. I would imagine that after Sammy was destroyed again, a lot of the "faithful" lost their way... And Tiamat has been trying to make some inroads with the Cult, so connecting her to the Cult works for me. I liked her whole Undying Queen aspect, and thought it was a great idea.
I also felt this way. I probably would have never used the CotD before, but maybe now I would... maybe. Draco-liches always seemed like such overkill to me. I like this particular change in direction.

quote:

I'm not clear, though, why she would need to be freed from the Nine Hells, since she's already had a presence in the Realms...

Agreed again.
Thauranil Posted - 24 Jan 2014 : 12:39:19
I think its a bit to soon to pass judge. If handled properly this sounds like it could be quite interesting.
Gary Dallison Posted - 24 Jan 2014 : 09:29:45
Why do they never learn. They talk the talk but they dont walk the walk.

Almost everyone got fed up of pointless events that killed off a bunch of favourite characters, destroyed several hundred plot hooks, allowed WoTC to release some poorly researched novels and make some short term cash.

This sounds exactly the same.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000