Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Daggerdale and some campaign ideas

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
templar12 Posted - 21 Jan 2014 : 04:17:56
Hail and well met! So excited this forum is alive and well.
I am interested in converting 2E Sword of the Dale trilogy into 3.5. Good starter for the area, then I was thinking about adding to that and expanding the campaign to higher levels. What old/current modules or ideas would be good fit and tie-in to take the PC's form 4th-ish on up after the trilogy and maybe keep Randall Morn a central character or benefactor of the PCs as a lawful chartered Group?
19   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Fendrikor Posted - 01 Feb 2014 : 11:16:26
Get Volos guide to the Dalelands and have a read :)

A good place for Randal to be hideing out during the 3 Days to Kill mission may be up at Castle Dunberton or Even castle Morn.

Just be sure to put some space between events and modules - so you can tell the players how 'larger things have changed in the world', give them a real feel that the realms is alive :)
templar12 Posted - 31 Jan 2014 : 23:42:33
Ok, the mind has assembled all sorts of fun.
Intro: Start out with Penumbra's "Three Days to Kill". Set in Anathar's Dell or similar spot. Modify to Morn and the Freedom Riders as the unknown Hiring Party, the meeting targets maybe a high level bandit and zhent agents. Party will never know it was Morn, some decency issues.
Next weave into "Doom of Daggerdale" Plot followed by the Morn rescue trilogy. Add in "Forge of Fury" to a Brightblade clan quest to gain allies for Morn. Add in "Sons of Gruumsh" for side trail weapons purchase for arms in Melvaunt. Level up adjust and relocate Galath Roost and Woe to Daggerdale (Mistledale) relocation. That will take to about 10th level and City of Spiderqueen from there. Plenty of hooks in the entire series. Definitely work in the recurring bad guys/gals zhents, archenemies easily. Now the fun part will be going though my Daggerdale modules and converting to 3.5E. I will use Hero Lab and use a VTT, d20pro. Break out my old Dunjinni and try and learn CC3. I love me some maps and using the computer. If anyone has any items for bartering, I am open to help! Please feel free to email me. Will take some time to prep and get enough done.....
Fendrikor Posted - 23 Jan 2014 : 06:35:56
Haha i have discovered your work and i very much approve!

Might i make a request...? ... have you done any detail work on who Gothyl was?
Cyril Lokner Posted - 23 Jan 2014 : 04:12:47
quote:
Originally posted by Fendrikor

Is there anything around on Anthar's dell?

Anathar's Dell can be read about in Volo's Guide to the Dalelands and the Daggerdale Campaign Expansion from the Northern Realms Projects Group.

quote:

Also, does anyone know 'why' all the wizard lords around the time of Shraeyvn the weapons mage were fighting over daggerdale? was it just daggerdale? or all the dales? Was Colderan Morn one of them (Cause that would make sense). Is he the begining of the Morn family line?

There is no canon source as to why the wizards and their guardians were battling for control of Daggerdale. The text in the Bestiary of the Realms: Volume 2 isn't really a canon source but I consider it one given who authored it. My speculation about why the wizards fighting over Daggerdale is that at that time there was a wide spread belief among the practitioners of the Art that many magical tomes, weapons, and trinkets from the days of Netheril were hidden away in the Tesh Valley. These wizards battled each other to be the first to folluow up on every rumor or hint of a trove of Netherese artifacts in Daggerdale. The fact that several wizards did discover powerful items and ancient knowledge only spurred the wizards on even more. How much effect this had on the daily life of Daggerfolk may have been minimal if those rumors and hits lead away from the towns.

Colderan Morn could not have been one of the wizards because the sword was created in 996 DR and Colderan wasn't born until 1234 DR. Colderan was not the beginning of the Morn line. You can read about a small bit of history of the Swords of the Dales and the Morn family in my article on Irythkeep in my signature below.
Markustay Posted - 22 Jan 2014 : 16:43:26
Maps? MAPS? MAPS?

Maps?

Me want!!!

LOL - thanks for the link. I think once 5eFR comes out, my maps are going to be more non-canon, in that they will be all-inclusive. My philosophy (as of right now) is "maps for GAMERS, not grognards". I prefer sand-box style RPGing, not pre-fab module railroading, so I think its more about choices - GMs should be able to pick and choose from whatever era they want.

So to get back to the thread topic - YEAH, I would run the old Daggerdale modules in 4e, or whatever, and just tweak them. Have Randal Morn be THE Randal Morn's grandson, or some such (or make HER Rhandala Morn!). Its about having fun, not "sticking to the script".
The Arcanamach Posted - 22 Jan 2014 : 09:28:03
Methinks Markustay will like that link templar12...he has a map fetish.

Can't wait to see your work on Bloodstone Cyril, your work is great.

As to the Daggerdale info provided...consider it all stolen! *slinks off murmuring something like 'my precioussss' as he disappears down a dark hole.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 22 Jan 2014 : 05:52:47
quote:

Orc* not Scro. figured it out. sorry about the spam.

Edit: ... no wait, i see now he is infact a Scro. newbie mistake.

Scro are a Spelljammer race that I am quite fond of. They are descended from orcs, but are highly militaristic and intelligent.

Though I envisioned Tolmakh as a scro, I deliberately left the write-up vague enough that he could be an exceptional orc, or a half-orc, or something really exotic.

Part of why I envisioned him as a scro was because of my love of scro, and because the original idea for elfbane golems involved a scro coming into the possession of some starfly plants (which elves grow their spelljamming vessels from) and the train vegetation spell (which is how they grow them into shape). The original execution of the idea was a bit awkward, and too similar to my livegolems idea. The livegolems themselves were strongly influenced by the soulmechs of the Dragonstar setting, but even that application wasn't a wholly new idea, in the Realms or in other games/fiction.
Fendrikor Posted - 22 Jan 2014 : 04:18:02
Orc* not Scro. figured it out. sorry about the spam.

Edit: ... no wait, i see now he is infact a Scro. newbie mistake.
Fendrikor Posted - 22 Jan 2014 : 04:13:46
here is wooly ruperts Elfbane golem article http://www.himsheepy.com/filage/elfbane%20golems.pdf
Fendrikor Posted - 22 Jan 2014 : 04:12:02
who is the Scro Tolmakh? Also, does anyone know 'why' all the wizard lords around the time of Shraeyvn the weapons mage were fighting over daggerdale? was it just daggerdale? or all the dales? Was Colderan Morn one of them (Cause that would make sense). Is he the begining of the Morn family line?
Fendrikor Posted - 22 Jan 2014 : 04:02:59
Is there anything around on Anthar's dell?
Cyril Lokner Posted - 22 Jan 2014 : 03:45:55
I've also worked up quite a bit of detail on locations related to Daggerdale. It's homebrew, but it all holds true to all the lore up to 3.5e. I'll be finishing up m article on Bloodstone soon. My finished works can be found in my signature below.
templar12 Posted - 22 Jan 2014 : 00:40:04
WOW.
Everyone, thank you so very much!!! You have brought me into some ideas I forgot about from times of old, and some I never knew....my mind is swelling. I think as I ponder and start to tie things together, methinks I shall post later just to share the yarns spinning in my head right now. Developmental and concept stage right now....hmmm. I also found this very old link to a website, since ya'll were so generous I wanted to share it. The person who put this much time and effort into this project is awesome, and they mention the Candlekeep website...looks like they were last working on it 5 years ago...wonder if they still
visit here..... http://forgotten-realms.wandering-dwarf.com/daggerdale/daggerdale.php
Wooly Rupert Posted - 21 Jan 2014 : 17:23:19
Realms Bestiary, Volumes 1 & 2

In one of my Realmsified warforged articles, the one about elfbane golems, I threw in some potential bits of fun. The scro Tolmakh has his elfbane golems targeting the Eldreth Veluuthra and leaving clues to Sembian involvement, but there isn't any reason the same couldn't be done with Dalefolk -- the idea is to enrage the elves and make them think the other side caused the problems, leading to conflict between elves and humans. This would not go well for the elves, which Tolmakh would quite like.

And the rogue elfbane golem, Ripper, is a self-appointed defender of Cormanthor; he happily slaughters anyone he thinks is despoiling the woods. I've not stated him up, but if I did, I would make him a variant warforged ranger, most likely NE, with a couple of druid abilities tossed into the mix (I figure it makes him even more scary if, after disemboweling someone, he casually jumps into a tree and disappears ).

Info on my Realmsified warforged can be found in my thread on the topic, Wooly's Warforged, and Big Al has also added the articles to the main site, under the Traveler's Notebook section.
Fendrikor Posted - 21 Jan 2014 : 16:04:46
Well met! I too am running a campaign set in daggerdale, though i am using City of the Spiderqueen - I have referenced HEAVILY from the past, as elaborated in the Doom of Daggerdale / Randal Morn trilogy paths. Reading over them all , my current group is VERY tied into the past... one of them is Decended from Gothyl. Though i admit, it is easier to find information about Daggerdale in 1732 DR, (Ala Volo's Guides), There is plenty of stuff i can recommend for inspiration non the less.

Read up on Zhents, Lord of Darkness is great for this! Lords of Darkness also has a Tethyamar Base you can flesh out and Expand. But i agree with Derulbaskul that Forge of Fury is a great starting point for a low level Mines run!

The Next nearest Major city to Daggerfalls is Hillsfar, 2 Tendays ride to the east. I suggest Reading Mysteries of the Moonsea's Asside on Hillsfar (as it will be a while before they can get teleport) and consider even having the players do a Mission through the moonsea area to 'Spend their well earned gold' in a big city... Daggerfalls is hardly a rich place. Alternativly, if you want to flesh out the other dales just refer to Volo's guide to the Dalelands. (Only barbarians salt their butter!)

Local Currency are Dale pennies and Silverdales, though gold crowns from hillsfar and golden lions from cormyr shouldnt be uncommon. Coins from Zhentil keep, as well as i can remember are Fangs (Copper plated Iron Square coins - known as Dung peices outside the walls) and Wolves Tears (the red tinted golden zhentil keep coins).

A Cell of Eldreth Veluuthra from Border forest makeing raids could be utilised.

The Twisted turn to hatred the Border forest Fey have taken after the Agrivated logging campaign in Teshendale conducted by the Zhent occupying Snowmantle.

Stats for Gothyl, converted to 3.5 i found in The Bestiary of the Realms Volume 1 and 2 by Eric L. Boyd and Thomas M. Costa (i dont know the website) Shes a level 18 Damaran Wizard..

He also has the Converted Sword of the Dales.

After Gothyl Ascends in the final module, apparently the tower becomes a conflux for a storm of wild magic - so it makes sense that perhaps Gothyl is in the 'Shadowfell' Parody of the Tower... if they ever want to go there later and finish her off.

I suggest having some Downtime after the Daggerfalls Retake so the Wizard (Caster type) can have his winter in the tutelage of Elminster, and the players can enjoy being Lords.

ONE good reward location to give them may be Castle Dunberton in the heart of the dale, a 3 tier crumbling ruin on a hill that used to house a town within but was abandoned and used as a Base of opperations by the Freedom Riders since that point. As Randal will be thinking about Rebuilding the Dale, the players might make good candidates to oversee the repairs. Missions from that point onwards could consider finding or mustering enough gold / resources to repair the castle enough to bring people back behind the walls.

Cormanthor Forest is a good source of intrigue if the players want to wander into that - You can play up the Ecological extremes using Eliminsters Ecologies on Cormanthor. I for one cant wait to have a group stumble into the rimwood. *Evil chuckle at the thoughts of describing their utter discomfort*

The Dale is Rich with life and ideas and history. :) You will find that inspiration on this part of the Realms is Abundant all over the net!
hashimashadoo Posted - 21 Jan 2014 : 14:34:01
Doom of Daggerdale and Raiders of Galath's Roost will also need converting from Second edition. Raiders can be found in Dungeon #87 and is a very good module. If you're going through Dungeon Magazines, you may also want to look at Woe to Mistledale (#100) which acts as a sort of sequel to Raiders.
Derulbaskul Posted - 21 Jan 2014 : 11:02:15
I realise it's 4E, but Reavers of Harkenwold would provide an excellent basis for a campaign in Daggerdale. Replace the Iron Ring with the Zhentarim and replace Iron Keep with a newly rebuilt Castle Daggerdale.

I would also throw Doom of Daggerdale into the mix of adventures that you plan to use, together with Raiders of Galath's Roost. While Raiders might technically be set in Mistledale, it would be easy enough to place it in Daggerdale. Galath's Roost could be replaced by Irythkeep or some other unnamed ruin near the Dagger Hills.

And then there is Forge of Fury which could be a lost entrance to the Mines of Tethyamar. Oh, and 1E's Cult of the Reptile god could be adapted for use in Serpent's Crossing.

Daggerdale has so much potential for a campaign. I''m rather annoyed that I have yet to run a game there! :)
Marco Volo Posted - 21 Jan 2014 : 09:01:40
It depends what chronology you're using, but I will go for the PCs enroled in an army in Scardale. The city of Scardale being a sort of "Berlin post-2WW". Cormyr, Sembie, Zhentarim and others are there, and you can have a lot of adventures here (if the PC are aware being part of an army).
hashimashadoo Posted - 21 Jan 2014 : 07:05:55
Off the top of my head the only pre-written module set in Daggerdale is City of the Spider Queen but that's for 10th level characters and is set mostly in the Underdark beneath the Dale.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000