Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 TV series of Interest to Realms Fans

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
The Red Walker Posted - 20 Sep 2012 : 14:14:26
Dr Who...look who would love to direct an episode....

http://collider.com/peter-jackson-doctor-who/196856/

Youd think they would have to ask him now wouldn't you?

Even better might be him helming a motion picture...but I would love to see an episode, or multi-episode arc done by Peter Jackson.
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
The Arcanamach Posted - 24 Aug 2015 : 07:07:52
MT: You may also want to look into the Fate series of anime. Netflix has Fate/Zero and Fate/Stay Night (Unlimited Blade Works). I don't if any of the rest of the Fate series on yet but those are worth watching for ideas.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 18 Aug 2015 : 18:06:35
quote:
Originally posted by Rymac

quote:
Originally posted by Dark Wizard

A show based on the Shannara series is coming to MTV. Here's a look at it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crjkQHnDYu0

Note the style and imagery of the backdrop. I think it's a good choice on their part to highlight the post-apocalyptic (fallen from modern era and lost technology) background of the setting when much of the cover art for the novel series tends to sell it as a more traditional pseudo-medieval fantasy setting. It is one way to differentiate it from the major fantasy series thus far and taps into the very popular post-apocalyptic genre.

That looks amazing! I'm definitely going to catch that when it premiers.

It does look incredible, and I like the way they play up the "this is our world, but much later" angle. That really didn't get much play in the original books; he only started emphasizing that later. As I recall, in the Elfstones book, it's really only expressed when Allanon is explaining elven history to Wil and Flick.

They were giving away copies of Elfstones at GenCon -- there was a table upstairs, outside the Writers' Symposium area. I didn't attend the latter, but my friend and I had wandered up there, where we bumped into my fave BattleTech author, Michael Stackpole. Even though I already had a copy of the book -- I'd just replaced mine a couple months previous -- I decided to go ahead and grab one. (I'm a big fan of free!)

I wound up giving that extra copy to a guy at work who has never read the book.

For me, Elfstones of Shannara was one of the first fantasy novels I read, when I was specifically looking for more fantasy to try.
Thauranil Posted - 18 Aug 2015 : 13:40:00
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I'll have to look into that, thanks for the heads-up.

Finished Deadman: Wonderland and now moved onto Sword Art Online. I think I like weird premises... but isn't that ALL animes?

At least in SAO they are playing an RPG, even if it is a computer one.

If you want RPG themed anime check out Overlord. Its an ongoing series about an undead necromancer who gets trapped in a VR world and decides to conquer it becayse why not?
Rymac Posted - 16 Aug 2015 : 05:25:49
quote:
Originally posted by Dark Wizard

A show based on the Shannara series is coming to MTV. Here's a look at it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crjkQHnDYu0

Note the style and imagery of the backdrop. I think it's a good choice on their part to highlight the post-apocalyptic (fallen from modern era and lost technology) background of the setting when much of the cover art for the novel series tends to sell it as a more traditional pseudo-medieval fantasy setting. It is one way to differentiate it from the major fantasy series thus far and taps into the very popular post-apocalyptic genre.

That looks amazing! I'm definitely going to catch that when it premiers.
Dark Wizard Posted - 16 Aug 2015 : 04:49:37

Markustay Posted - 15 Aug 2015 : 07:18:05
I'll have to look into that, thanks for the heads-up.

Finished Deadman: Wonderland and now moved onto Sword Art Online. I think I like weird premises... but isn't that ALL animes?

At least in SAO they are playing an RPG, even if it is a computer one.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 14 Aug 2015 : 18:21:31
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I've said that for quite some time - there SHOULD BE a really good anime based on FR/D&D.

It's an older one, and I've not personally seen it, but I understand that Record of Lodoss War was based on a D&D campaign.
Markustay Posted - 14 Aug 2015 : 16:46:51
I've said that for quite some time - there SHOULD BE a really good anime based on FR/D&D.
The Arcanamach Posted - 14 Aug 2015 : 08:02:41
Deadman: Wonderland is strange but interesting. As I havent seen anything beyond the first season (Im not even sure there's anything beyond season 1) it's hard to really gauge how the concepts from that show would mesh with the Realms. There's really not enough of an explanation as to what gives them there powers in the first season.

You know, I wouldn't mind seeing the FR comics adapted into an anime-style show. A crew aboard a magical ship seeking out 'dangerous' artifacts for safekeeping could work if done properly. It showcases 'high-fantasy' and, if done properly, could make the viewers relate to the characters. Just look at shows like Avatar, DBZ, Full Metal, Naruto etc. and you'll see what I mean about good character writing (though I wouldn't want the childishness often seen in some of those programs).

Make it 'adult' enough for some of us older folks with enough kewlness for the younger crowd and they could have a real gem.
Markustay Posted - 12 Aug 2015 : 16:06:51
'Arcanotech' was a minor discipline in Imaskar. Gates (and by association, summonings) were there primary area of research, and the 'Golemic sciences' was big at first (which ties into humonculi), but was later replaced by Alchemy (using materials to augment magical rituals) when the Anoque (Spiritfolk) arrived from another world. Arcanotech was merely a branch-off of their Gate/portal and golemic technologies.

After the fall, the 'survivor states' (many of which have now disappeared) ran with certain aspects of the Imaskari magical traditions. One could assume that schools were spread all over the empire, and whichever ones survived nearby, thats the way that culture went. The Arcanotech (which would include automail from FMA) school was probably somewhere in the far north - maybe even centered in Winterkeep (not the island part from the novel - the portion that would have been on the mainland). Thats why the Raumathari went in that direction.

Mostly supposition on my part.

On Topic:
Another show (anime) I just started watching is Deadman: Wonderland, and its very weird. I may borrow some stuff for blood magic, though.

The Arcanamach Posted - 12 Aug 2015 : 07:31:14
quote:
For my Fanon lore I am going to use that as a jumping-off point, but in my Misbegotten Realms (Hybrid Homebrew) I am going to just steal it wholesale.

Um...THIS

FMA was a great show (and Brotherhood is just as good, if not better). I can see how it meshes fairly well with ancient Imaskar, though I'm uncertain how far their arcanatech went). Still, it seems a nice fit and is just another example of how much I anticipate your Misbegotten Realms.

I haven't really read this thread as I doubt there will ever be a television adaptation of the Realms created. But if it ever were, I'd want a gritty show akin to Netflix's Marco Polo. You have to make the characters interesting and easy to relate too. Also, with all the magic showcased in the published Realms, there would have to be excellent special effects available whilst preventing such power from overshadowing the plot.

And as far as the plot goes, I'd want a TV series to shy away from 'canon' and go for something original.
Markustay Posted - 11 Aug 2015 : 17:29:14
I'm sure its been mentioned in this thread before, but I just got done re-watching the entire Full Metal Alchemist series (first show, NOT 'Brotherhood').

Man, I forgot just how dark that show was. When I watched it the first time it was spread out, but binge-watching it over a weekend was gritty as hell.

Anyhow, I've always used that show as a great way to picture the Imaskari Empire. The Netherese were more like 'magical Rome', but the Imaskari seem to have evolved from a 'good' place (from their own PoV, I would imagine) to something very dark near the end, visiting and stealing people from other worlds, enslaving nearby 'states' (or eradicating them completely), summoning extra-dimensional monstrosities, etc, etc. And the alchemy in that show fits with how I picture Imaskari magic (sorcery) working - more like fey magic; you just grab some energy and picture the end result (also related to genie magic). Also, the show had some steampunk-esque machines (including a cyborg!) toward the end, which fits in with what Raumathar did later on (using 'forbidden' ancient Imaskari Arcanotech). Lastly, the 'summoning circles' thing fits in to how Imaskari magic is based on fey magic (which is all about 'magical circles' of power).

For my Fanon lore I am going to use that as a jumping-off point, but in my Misbegotten Realms (Hybrid Homebrew) I am going to just steal it wholesale.
The Sage Posted - 09 Feb 2015 : 02:53:25
I wouldn't say I'm a fan. Yet. But it's definitely in the "When I have the time, catch up on this series" pile of new shows I still have to watch.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 08 Feb 2015 : 05:56:56
I don't think I've even heard of that one... But I don't watch a lot of TV, and nothing that isn't either DVR'ed or on Netflix.
Fellfire Posted - 08 Feb 2015 : 03:16:52
No Black Sails fans out there?

Spoiler Alert

So Vayne took out Lowe and now Guthrie pits Flint against Vayne? She is crazy. Vayne is the Hulk, but Flint is completely ruthless. My favorite television hour of the week. Can't wait to see
what happens next. Gotta get my pirate on.
Fellfire Posted - 25 Jan 2015 : 01:18:14
Black Sails tonight. Ep 1 Season 2. 9 pm EST.
Fellfire Posted - 26 Oct 2014 : 13:24:35
Old news to some, but I was ecstatic to learn of the Heroes relaunch.
Fellfire Posted - 17 Oct 2014 : 06:08:56
That guy better keep his hands off of my speed. It wasn't cheap.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 16 Oct 2014 : 15:19:14
quote:
Originally posted by Lyiat

That's why they typically call him "Professor Zoom" rather than Reverse Flash. He has the ability to steal momentum from people and even go back in time. He can move quickly because he quite literally steals speed from people around him.

Considering how some drivers manage to slow down multiple lanes of traffic, I'm still not convinced I wasn't behind this guy.
Lyiat Posted - 16 Oct 2014 : 14:38:27
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by Fellfire

I loved the old TV series. Who are the Flash's traditional enemies?
Well, selecting a few from across the different comic book eras, we have Professor Zoom [the Reverse Flash {who will be making an appearance in the series}], Captain Cold, Captain Boomerang, Gorilla Grodd, The Top, Mirror Master, and Weather Wizard.

There are, of course, plenty more... but these are some of the most frequented villains seen in comic books featuring the various incarnations of the Flash.

The Reverse Flash? If the Flash is the fastest man alive, would that make the Reverse Flash the slowest man alive?

(If so, I think I was behind him on the way to work, this morn!)

That's why they typically call him "Professor Zoom" rather than Reverse Flash. He has the ability to steal momentum from people and even go back in time. He can move quickly because he quite literally steals speed from people around him.
Thauranil Posted - 16 Oct 2014 : 14:04:05
The Flash doesnt have the best rogues gallery but i am sure they can borrow a few more well known villains from other series for him to take on.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 15 Oct 2014 : 04:27:37
quote:

quote:

Well, selecting a few from across the different comic book eras, we have Professor Zoom [the Reverse Flash {who will be making an appearance in the series}], Captain Cold, Captain Boomerang, Gorilla Grodd, The Top, Mirror Master, and Weather Wizard.

There are, of course, plenty more... but these are some of the most frequented villains seen in comic books featuring the various incarnations of the Flash.

The Reverse Flash? If the Flash is the fastest man alive, would that make the Reverse Flash the slowest man alive?

(If so, I think I was behind him on the way to work, this morn!)
Fellfire Posted - 15 Oct 2014 : 03:37:50
quote:

quote:

Well, selecting a few from across the different comic book eras, we have Prof. .essor Zoom [the Reverse Flash {who will be making an appearance in the series}], Captain Cold, Captain Boomerang, Gorilla Grodd, The Top, Mirror Master, and Weather Wizard.

He really is lacking in some decent villainy. No ninjas, robots or supermodel psychos?
The Sage Posted - 15 Oct 2014 : 03:19:06
quote:

Markustay Posted - 14 Oct 2014 : 19:38:09
Once Upon a Time is good, but its starting to lose traction. All the initial plots have been resolved (for the most part), and now Disney is just grasping at straws trying to come up with something new. They've added the characters from Frozen now, and thats a bit too new to be 'traditional' fairy-tale fodder, IMHO. I'll give it another season and see where it goes.
Eilserus Posted - 14 Oct 2014 : 15:19:04
Not sure if it's been mentioned, but Once Upon a Time has been pretty good. Though I've only made it to the beginning of season 3 if I recall correctly.

I've never taken the time to watch The Walking Dead myself, though I'm told it's pretty sweet too.
Markustay Posted - 14 Oct 2014 : 13:27:02
Loving Gotham, but I've had no desire to watch Arrow, or the new Flash. Weird, because they were 2 of my favorites back in the day. I think DC lost me as a customer when they killed-off Barry Allen, and I never looked back (well... maybe a couple of times...)

I am really enjoying Sleepy Hollow, even though the plot has more holes then Swiss Cheese. Still, its an interesting blend of psuedo-horror and folk tales. If nothing else, it has given me some interesting ideas for some background IMGs.

And, of course, The Walking Dead is back. They've really taken it up a notch this season with the cannibals.
Fellfire Posted - 14 Oct 2014 : 07:57:49
The Flash on CB, kinda diggn it. I thought it was a little underwhelming like maybe they should've given it another half-hour for the season premier. I loved the old TV series. Who are the Flash's traditional enemies? Some heroes can be defined by their nemesis. I profess to not being too knowledgeable. Whom do you think may make it into the series and why?
Alystra Illianniis Posted - 02 Oct 2014 : 05:32:14
I watched the first episode of Gotham, was even excited for it after seeing the previews, and it didn't disappoint. I haven't seen the second ep yet, since I have been working on Monday nights when it airs, so I am waiting to catch the repeat showing on Friday, along with the new season of Sleepy Hollow. Love that show, BTW! The Crane family takes dysfunction to a whole new level, with his son being the Horseman of War, his (former) best friend as the Horseman of Death, and his wife a witch who's been stuck in Purgatory for all of last season. And Abby has plenty of "demons" of her own to deal with. This series has been nothing but fun from the beginning, and it's only getting better this season! Here's hoping Gotham stays as interesting as it has started out, because so far, I love what they've done with Gordon and Bruce, and the future Catwoman is looking like an interesting character. Can't wait to catch the new one!
Thauranil Posted - 01 Oct 2014 : 09:56:34
Arrow is not that bad actually, just dont expect it to be the Wire. The acting and script are decent but not great. Its a good way to kill some time.
Havent seen Gotham yet , but I hope it lives up to its potential.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000