Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Software
 Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Lily M Green Posted - 22 Nov 2012 : 20:04:40
Is preloading from today... http://www.baldursgate.com/news.en.html

Available to play next Friday.
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Delwa Posted - 18 Apr 2014 : 17:37:37
In case anyone is interested, it's now available on Google Play Store.
Alruane Posted - 07 Dec 2013 : 15:40:47
Purchased the first, just waiting for a sale on the second BG and it SHALL be mine! HAHA!
NetDiver Posted - 26 Sep 2013 : 13:15:38
At first I wasn't all that keen in the idea of using an iPad compatible stylus with Baldur's Gate EE but after purchasing one (Wacom Bamboo Stylus) for various different reasons, I can really recommend one for playing Baldur's Gate on the iPad. The stylus gives much better precision when navigating the user interface.
rhune Posted - 31 Aug 2013 : 07:29:31
It seems BGII: Enhanced Edition arrives November 15th, good news. I guess they got things worked out.
lordsknight185 Posted - 25 Jun 2013 : 20:28:20
quote:
Originally posted by Zireael

I heard there is some licensing trouble... anyone?

Yeah, as of roughly a week ago all purchasing methods have been pulled. A real bummer, cause they were close to releasing BG2EE...Because of legal matters they cannot discuss the details yet.
Zireael Posted - 25 Jun 2013 : 18:19:52
I heard there is some licensing trouble... anyone?
lordsknight185 Posted - 17 Jun 2013 : 11:30:57
quote:
Originally posted by Alenis

All, any further word on this. I know I purchased BG's on iPad (kinda wish I did so on the PC, iPad's a bit of a pain to play). I haven't seen an update to the game in a while, and not a drop more about BG2 timeline. If you guys are tracking something elsewhere, give me and the Realms a heads up! Cheers!

Do you follow the BGEE forums, or follow Trent Osters twitter?
Alenis Posted - 17 Jun 2013 : 06:45:23
All, any further word on this. I know I purchased BG's on iPad (kinda wish I did so on the PC, iPad's a bit of a pain to play). I haven't seen an update to the game in a while, and not a drop more about BG2 timeline. If you guys are tracking something elsewhere, give me and the Realms a heads up! Cheers!
Light Posted - 06 Apr 2013 : 09:50:00
quote:
Originally posted by NetDiver

Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition can be seen as the culprit for my recent interest in the Forgotten Realms. I downloaded this for my iPad Mini because I never played the original. Truly a classic that has stood the test of time and I've always liked point-and-click adventure games. The touch controls work fine for this type of game. I'm hoping Overhaul Games will also get around to "enhance" the sequel. Failing that, they're always available through gog.com.

They are already "enhancing" the sequel and its expansion. It's part of their contract. In fact it will be done sometime this year, I've heard by summer.

Beamdog has stated that they would like to do an Enhanced Edition of Icewind Dale and Planescape: Torment but that doesn't mean they will. Hopefully they do but certainly nothing in the works and, as artificial_sunglight said, they don't even have the license.

Beamdog has also stated that their ultimate goal is to create Baldur's Gate 3 but that they can only manage this if sales go well of BG:EE and its sequel.
artificial_sunlight Posted - 20 Mar 2013 : 11:26:05
@vorpalanvil IWD has different licences, so it is not in the scope right now. That is also the reason they couldn't use animations, graphics etc. from IWD1 and 2 to enhance the game.
NetDiver Posted - 20 Mar 2013 : 07:09:11
quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

I had wondered if it was worth downloading for my iPad. I read the reviews and it appears that there were some problems with the touch screen, as players just stand next to the enemy instead of attacking them. Also some bugs of sending you to the desktop when you want to rest. Should I get it for the iPad or PC?

Totally worth it but it depends on your preference of gaming. If your've used to mouse & keyboard controls and like gaming with your laptop/desktop setup, then I would go for the regular PC download. Otherwise give the iPad version a chance.

The touch controls aren't as precise as a mouse but it's nothing deal breaking. Sometimes you might need to tap the person/enemy/doorway twice to get the desired interaction. Also item handling in the inventory feels a bit clunkier than with mouse controls because the drag-drop requires more hand movement. I've noticed that some iPad sleeves might hinder the game controls as some control buttons are located very near to the edge of the screen. It takes a few hours of playing to get fully used to the controls, but after that they flow very nicely.

I've also read about the crashing issues but never experienced them myself, even after long game sessions. The game has had a couple of updates since its release which seemed to address the crashing but also added more class builds for character generation.

As a final note, you'll save a bit of money if you're not interested in the new playable characters as they're purchasable in-game. Buying them is entirely optional in the iPad version as opposed to the PC/Mac versions.
vorpalanvil Posted - 20 Mar 2013 : 01:21:04
Will a similar project be taken up for Icewind Dale. Those were always my IE game of choice.
Diffan Posted - 20 Mar 2013 : 00:41:01
I had wondered if it was worth downloading for my iPad. I read the reviews and it appears that there were some problems with the touch screen, as players just stand next to the enemy instead of attacking them. Also some bugs of sending you to the desktop when you want to rest. Should I get it for the iPad or PC?
NetDiver Posted - 19 Mar 2013 : 19:19:49
Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition can be seen as the culprit for my recent interest in the Forgotten Realms. I downloaded this for my iPad Mini because I never played the original. Truly a classic that has stood the test of time and I've always liked point-and-click adventure games. The touch controls work fine for this type of game. I'm hoping Overhaul Games will also get around to "enhance" the sequel. Failing that, they're always available through gog.com.
Zireael Posted - 24 Feb 2013 : 19:06:18
quote:
Originally posted by Hawkins

BG:EE is now available on Steam as well.

Good news, although I keep waiting for a DVD release (my network connection not being good enough to download 2,5 GB of data)
Kajehase Posted - 12 Feb 2013 : 06:08:39
It might be worth pointing out that fellow Candlekeeper and occasional Realms-writer Dave Gross did a lot of the writing on the BG:EE.
Light Posted - 12 Feb 2013 : 06:03:58
quote:
Originally posted by Seravin

DA2 was an abomination. DA1 was much better, even if it also had level scaling. I wish games had no level scaling, I've yet to hear an argument that makes sense that the world should level up with you. Oblivion (TES:IV) had the WORST instance of this where poverty stricken road side bandits would attack you in armour worth as much as a castle because they autoleveled and autogeared. I also hate games where if you find an artifact or item at a low level it is reduced in abilities because of your level when you found it, penalizing you for getting something before you were "supposed to". Ugh.

The BG games are amazing (and yes they do have very minor unnoticeable level scaling too).

*Nods furiously in agreement* (except at DAII being an adomination)
Seravin Posted - 12 Feb 2013 : 04:15:41
DA2 was an abomination. DA1 was much better, even if it also had level scaling. I wish games had no level scaling, I've yet to hear an argument that makes sense that the world should level up with you. Oblivion (TES:IV) had the WORST instance of this where poverty stricken road side bandits would attack you in armour worth as much as a castle because they autoleveled and autogeared. I also hate games where if you find an artifact or item at a low level it is reduced in abilities because of your level when you found it, penalizing you for getting something before you were "supposed to". Ugh.

The BG games are amazing (and yes they do have very minor unnoticeable level scaling too).
Light Posted - 12 Feb 2013 : 00:33:19
Well what I mean is that in Dragon Age II (The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion / V: Skyrim etc.) have NPC leveling. So when I am level 1 I fight muggers, they provide a decent challenge (depending on difficulty). As you go up in level you would expect to grow, to become a better warrior and no longer be challenged by a mere mugger. This is not so, you are level 20 and so is your opponent. You don't feel like you are actually getting anywhere, still the same person you were at the beginning.

I am playing Baldur's Gate and I run into some bandits early on... I barely escape with my life. I come back at a much later point and I pound them into the dust, I feel stronger, I feel like I've grown. I know I am not the same person I used to be, I am satisfied. Maybe this isn't what you would call "character growth" and I have used the term wrongly, if so... sorry!
doctorbadwolf Posted - 11 Feb 2013 : 23:25:55
Hey Light, I'm curious what you mean about the leveling in DA II? How does it destroy character growth?
Light Posted - 06 Feb 2013 : 11:39:49
I have yet to find an RPG that I believe to be as engaging in combat as the Infinity Engine games. In fact, I find modern RPGs to be becoming increasingly worse. Take that god awful NPC-leveling that many newer RPGs have (Oblivion, Skyrim, Fallout 3 / NV, Dragon Age II). It's terrible, it completely destroys character growth to the point where they might as well get rid of levels and statistics completely.

I'm not going to go any further. I don't want to come across as a rabid fan desperately trying to defend his beloved game. My views aren't clouded by nostalgia either, Dragon Age is of my generation and Baldur's Gate is much before my time.

Ayrik Posted - 05 Feb 2013 : 11:30:46
quote:
The Masked Mage

I like that game 15 years ago. I can't imagine why they'd invest in something so old and not build a new product instead.

Old games are much like old movies; they might "suck" in terms of graphics and visual effects, but they were just as sophisticated and they typically compared favourably by presenting more engaging elements, challenges, and entertainments which modern versions usually lack (or present in superficial formulaic/canned ways). I'm not saying every old game was a classic or that every modern game sucks, because that's patently untrue (and in fact the Baldur's Gate games were never really much better than average, IMHO, the best thing about them was the thematic D&D/FR content), but I am saying that it's true often enough to make old games worth a second look because people who can accept the backward graphics and interfaces will discover a lot of surprising entertainment value they'd never find playing most modern titles.

If this is a commercial re-release then the idea would be to keep the game as intact as possible and spend the least amount of time (literally only a few weeks) fixing whatever is needed to recompile and run/emulate and playtest/debug it on current platforms. Actually deconstructing and rebuilding the game would take more time and effort than producing an entirely new (and better) game from scratch, and it just wouldn't be the "same" anyhow so many of the dedicated fans (the target market) would be disappointed. Better to just rush the quick-n-dirty remake out the door, take your cash and run, put another title under your belt, and move on to the next project.

In short, the primary idea is not to make a substantially improved new game. It's to squeeze a little more entertainment and revenue from the existing old game. A proper remake usually doesn't happen unless the cheap remake gets a strong response.
The Masked Mage Posted - 03 Feb 2013 : 11:32:41
It was great then, but very outdated now. Don't get me wrong, its not like playing the old Nintendo Pool of Radiance or something, but compared to the potential of contemporary games, it can't possibly compete.

I did like the mods a few years later "Dark side" was cool if i remember right.
Dalor Darden Posted - 03 Feb 2013 : 04:38:37
quote:
Originally posted by The Masked Mage

I like that game 15 years ago. I can't imagine why they'd invest in something so old and not build a new product instead.

It is an easy re-code of a game engine that was far ahead of its time...best way I can think of it.
The Masked Mage Posted - 03 Feb 2013 : 04:01:22
Light Posted - 03 Feb 2013 : 03:31:45
quote:
Originally posted by Nicolai Withander

is it going to be possible to export your character from BG I (EE) to BG II (EE)?

And also does one get the same immunities as when completing the original?

Thanks

I would think so. You could import from between games in the originals so I would say you certainly can in EE. As for immunities: I would imagine so.
Hawkins Posted - 22 Jan 2013 : 13:52:47
BG:EE is now available on Steam as well.
Nicolai Withander Posted - 22 Jan 2013 : 12:54:00
is it going to be possible to export your character from BG I (EE) to BG II (EE)?

And also does one get the same immunities as when completing the original?

Thanks
Seravin Posted - 25 Nov 2012 : 18:14:49
I'm getting it not because I don't have the GOG edition with mods, but because purchasing it may help bring about BG3. I'm loving that they did a kickstarter campaign for another of these type RPGs, although not set in the Realms isn't ideal, it will still be good.
Light Posted - 25 Nov 2012 : 16:49:04
For me I am going to prefer EE over the original with mods. By the time I even "discovered" mods I was pretty much done with the BG series. I have heard of some of the "tactical" type mods which sounds somewhat interesting. However I won't be playing BG:EE until its sequel and all related material is fully released as I want to play it all in one big run. By then I hope some of the prominent mods for the originals will either be recreated or ported over etc.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000