Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 The Advesary, review spoilers.

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Gyor Posted - 30 Nov 2013 : 19:10:32
The Advesary, review spoilers.

I loved this book. Memorable heroes and villians, great character development, awesome battles.

We really get into the meat of the Sundering with this title, we get to see alot of the Chosen in action as well.

A curious thing, we don't get to know who chose most of those people, adorable Vanji for example is obviously choosen by someone associated with Water, but weather that is Umbrelee, Istahisha, Valkur, some resurrected God from the Great School Pantheon, Isis, Azul, Sebek, Deep Sashelas, Blipdoolpoolp, Sekohlas, and who knows :D it most make prayer time confusing.

I also found the Patron vs. Deity discussion interesting, as it makes it clear that one can be chosen by just about any cosmic being, Exarchs, Demigods, Saints, full deities, archdevils and so on. (Saints was particularly interesting as is the fact that Exarch seems to confuse Erin as much as any of us).

We learn alot in this novel, but it asks many questions as well, from Dahl's soul message, whether or not the nameless died or escaped to Sakkor's ruins via portal, who is his Omnipotence is, is Havilar a chosen of Asmodeaus as Fari is and what does his Majesty have planned for them, and so on.

I also like that Mehen is gay, although that does leave me wondering how Dragonborn mate and what thier anatomy is like.

If they ever make a movie about Erin's Novels, let me suggest Canyon's star James Deen to play Lorican.

Just so much about this novel rocked I'm on overload. So many twists.

So far every novel of the Sundering series has been a home run and now I find myself looking forward to The Reaver which should be out in Feburary as well as Erin's next novel.
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
RealmsForgedChild Posted - 29 May 2014 : 01:58:29
I was a member here ages ago and I have long sense forgotten my old log in name and password.I had to rejoin if only to speak on this book. I have been reading brimstone angels since it's inception and Mrs. Evans is such a sincerely talented author. it's one of the 3 story arcs I can honestly say I'm truly invested in and I do my best to support the realms constantly.

They have been so much apart of my life but this book in particular. She touched on my pain and feelings of loss that I have struggled with my life entire I was never sure I could fully explain. As a Man that lost first his child and has struggled with depression after. The person that clings to my heart the hardest in this book Mehen.

I love Clanless Mehen so deeply maybe more than the girls. lol And I love the girls. His struggle as not just a father but an individual I've felt it all. Brin I also love because the forest kingdom is one of my favorite places in all the realms. I love all things Cormyr and I'm not even really a fan of humans in most cases. So to get to go back to my favorite place in the realms with characters that have come to mean so much to me.

Thank you for the amazing quality of your writing that makes me feel less alone in my fears and sorrows. That helps me process and digest things that can be healed by holding on to them. Please keep writing.

I look forward to seeing how you write about the heirs of Azoun IV.
Crystyn Posted - 09 May 2014 : 17:24:39
quote:
Originally posted by Arcanus

quote:
Originally posted by ksu_bond

For those who enjoyed this book...you may want to take a peek at the follow-up book - http://www.amazon.com/Fire-Blood-Erin-M-Evans/dp/0786965290/ref=pd_sim_b_7?ie=UTF8&refRID=1CNRJ93BB5G9HX4VHVXJ

Erm I think I shall give anymore Erin Evans titles a miss.

I for one can't wait, badass MCs are one thing but you get a bit tired of them eventually (one of the reason I like Drizzt even with his angst)
Arcanus Posted - 09 May 2014 : 15:54:41
quote:
Originally posted by Entromancer

I thought this book had the Shadovar gathering the Chosen into containment camps?

It does.
Arcanus Posted - 09 May 2014 : 15:54:04
quote:
Originally posted by ksu_bond

For those who enjoyed this book...you may want to take a peek at the follow-up book - http://www.amazon.com/Fire-Blood-Erin-M-Evans/dp/0786965290/ref=pd_sim_b_7?ie=UTF8&refRID=1CNRJ93BB5G9HX4VHVXJ

Erm I think I shall give anymore Erin Evans titles a miss.
Entromancer Posted - 09 May 2014 : 14:00:03
I thought this book had the Shadovar gathering the Chosen into containment camps?
ksu_bond Posted - 09 May 2014 : 12:49:48
Crystyn Posted - 08 May 2014 : 22:06:10
quote:
Originally posted by Mirtek

But there were no details at all. It revelead barely more than the hints already had. Reading the full novels leaves one none the wiser than reading the jacket blurb

After the Avatar series was so universally disliked it'll be a while, if at all, 'til we see that much involvement with the gods again.

I only liked them because Kelemvor and Mask are some of my favourite FR characters, Midnight and Cyric are the most annoying though.
Mirtek Posted - 08 May 2014 : 21:59:48
quote:
Originally posted by Crystyn

Most of this was foreshadowed long ago just because ppl knew it were coming doesn't mean it wasn't new.
But there were no details at all. It revelead barely more than the hints already had. Reading the full novels leaves one none the wiser than reading the jacket blurb
Arcanus Posted - 08 May 2014 : 21:01:16
quote:

quote:

Not really. The only way it showed the chosen system was to introduce glyphs that could be seen by one person. We already new about chosen growing into their powers etc.
The gods are being ressurected anyway so no new info there really.
How the demon court works has already been mentioned elsewhere, it also has no direct impact on the sundering.

All the book says is that change is afoot and the gods are nervous etc. Thats already been said elsewhere too.

Companions: Return of the weave, the Gods' marks

The Godborn: Return of Mask, weakening of Shar

The Adversary: Hint to Vhaerauns return, Azmodeus plan

Most of this was foreshadowed long ago just because ppl knew it were coming doesn't mean it wasn't new.

The Herald will most likely tell us which Mystra (or all of them) will come back.

As you point out-nothing new really. The series so far is just about finishing the story arcs of the authors characters.

Anyway, I have RLB's book next. Hope things improve.
Arcanus Posted - 08 May 2014 : 20:55:44
quote:
Originally posted by Tanthalas

Not really sure why The Adversary is being singled out for having nothing to do with the Sundering. All books in the series have been guilty of barely having any info concerning the Sundering.

Oh I know. I was under the impression that the sundering would unfold in each book. They are all failing in that regard. The discussion at hand started with my review on the adversary, as this thread is devoted to said book then it stands to reason that it is taking flak.
Tanthalas Posted - 08 May 2014 : 20:33:32
Not really sure why The Adversary is being singled out for having nothing to do with the Sundering. All books in the series have been guilty of barely having any info concerning the Sundering.
Crystyn Posted - 08 May 2014 : 19:42:40
quote:

Not really. The only way it showed the chosen system was to introduce glyphs that could be seen by one person. We already new about chosen growing into their powers etc.
How the demon court works has already been mentioned elsewhere, it also has no direct impact on the sundering.

All the book says is that change is afoot and the gods are nervous etc. Thats already been said elsewhere too.

Companions: Return of the weave, the Gods' marks

The Godborn: Return of Mask, weakening of Shar

The Adversary: Hint to Vhaerauns return, Azmodeus plan

The Herald will most likely tell us which Mystra (or all of them) will come back.
Arcanus Posted - 08 May 2014 : 19:24:17
quote:

quote:

True but it's not only the characters that bug me. To me the book was far too long for the story it told. It failed to draw me in. Full of clichè and predictability. For example, I knew who the ghost was before it was revealed who she was. Yawn. I expect more from authors, much more.
The total lack of sundering information was very disappointing. The book doesn't belong in the series because it has nothing to do with it.

Haven't read the latest 2 Sundering books yet but The Adversary revealed much of the chosen system as well as Vhaerauns resurrection, the workings of the demons court among other things.

CorellonsDevout Posted - 08 May 2014 : 17:17:11
This was one of my favorite books in the Sundering series. It was slow at times, yes, but I felt the last two books, while good, lacked detail ans character depth. The Adversary did not. It was very well done
charger_ss24 Posted - 08 May 2014 : 16:57:51
quote:

The total lack of sundering information was very disappointing. The book doesn't belong in the series because it has nothing to do with it.

If there was one book that lists the nuts and bolts of the Sundering, it was this book. And if there was one book that had nothing to do with the Sundering, it was The Companions.

I do agree with you though, The Adversary was an awful read IMO.
Crystyn Posted - 08 May 2014 : 16:48:51
quote:

True but it's not only the characters that bug me. To me the book was far too long for the story it told. It failed to draw me in. Full of clichè and predictability. For example, I knew who the ghost was before it was revealed who she was. Yawn. I expect more from authors, much more.

Haven't read the latest 2 Sundering books yet but The Adversary revealed much of the chosen system as well as Vhaerauns resurrection, the workings of the demons court among other things.
Arcanus Posted - 08 May 2014 : 13:26:33
quote:

quote:

They are young adults that have hardly changed in their attitudes since the start of their story. Characters should grow, they should show how their experiences affect them. Not just be guilt and angst ridden all of the time. If I want angst I will read the drizzt books set in neverwinter lol.
It is curious that the books that you rate as your greatest realms fiction are the same that I hold dear.
Just goes to show that as an author you can't please everyone!

To be fair Brimstone Angels was set during a rather short timespan so expecting character growth in that short a time isn't very realistic. I agree that some of their decisions and reactions are very childish and or dumb but Farideh and Havilar lived a sheltered life up to their late teens for all we know they are just starting to live out their puberty.

Crystyn Posted - 08 May 2014 : 12:37:59
quote:

They are young adults that have hardly changed in their attitudes since the start of their story. Characters should grow, they should show how their experiences affect them. Not just be guilt and angst ridden all of the time. If I want angst I will read the drizzt books set in neverwinter lol.
It is curious that the books that you rate as your greatest realms fiction are the same that I hold dear.

To be fair Brimstone Angels was set during a rather short timespan so expecting character growth in that short a time isn't very realistic. I agree that some of their decisions and reactions are very childish and or dumb but Farideh and Havilar lived a sheltered life up to their late teens for all we know they are just starting to live out their puberty.
Arcanus Posted - 08 May 2014 : 12:17:56

Crystyn Posted - 08 May 2014 : 01:43:40
quote:

[...]The story dragged, the plot was poorly executed and the characters just annoyed me with their childish thoughts, feelings and actions.

Maybe because they are children...

Personally loved the Adversy and Brimstone Angels is one of my favourite FR series just bested by the early Drizzt, Cadderly and Erevis Cale Sagas, maybe Kelemvors tale too (doen't care much about the others')

Heck I finished the Kindle version faster than Amazon was able to deliver the paperback.

Arcanus Posted - 07 May 2014 : 14:44:30
Well finally finished it. The words 'hard slog' seem appropriate. The writing was generic, maybe less than. Filled with fluff and padding. The story dragged, the plot was poorly executed and the characters just annoyed me with their childish thoughts, feelings and actions.
No originality at all.
Disappointing to say the least and you could be forgiven for thinking that it had nothing to do with the sundering if you hadn't seen it on the cover.

I will have to put this in my top ten of Realms worst reads.
oldSchoolFRfan Posted - 13 Apr 2014 : 10:20:04
quote:
Not to argue, but the 8 year gap in their lives is a part of Farideh's decision making process. Her guilt leads her down the path she takes, not once, but twice. Among other things, it has a huge psychological impact on all the primary characters that influenced their actions.

I might have overlooked the guilt process a bit since I was annoyed with the time-jump. I just kept thinking The classic "demand your firstborn" that has been around since the invention of religion.

Why didn't Sairche "breed" her or some related for heirs to trade, 2 favors , 2 baby heirs atleast but knowing the devil paramour it would probably have been (~8*12)/9 heirs.

There's nothing to say that she already hasn't bred her and her sister for more heirs while she was in stasis since we dont know much about that since it's purposely left blank so far tho now that i think about it. Maybe ((~8*12)/9)*2 heirs?
jornan Posted - 12 Apr 2014 : 04:22:58
I thought the 8 year gap was nicely incorporated into several aspects of the story and interactions between characters. I liked these books and look forward to reading more of them. I wish other authors, Kemp and Byers specifically would get to continue their stories as well.
CorellonsDevout Posted - 11 Apr 2014 : 20:36:09
The eight-year gap did suck, but it was not Evan's decision. WotC moved the Realms ahead several years, and since the Brimstone Angels left off in 1479, there was no easy way to move it to 86 without interrupting the flow of the story.
Euranna Posted - 11 Apr 2014 : 20:15:23
Not to argue, but the 8 year gap in their lives is a part of Farideh's decision making process. Her guilt leads her down the path she takes, not once, but twice. Among other things, it has a huge psychological impact on all the primary characters that influenced their actions.

I don't think Havilar was right next to Farideh, I think she was close, but not within arms reach. Also, Havilar did not have time to react to Farideh's decision except with shock. Havilar would never had decided to leave with Rhand herself, so she did not expect Farideh to do so.
oldSchoolFRfan Posted - 11 Apr 2014 : 16:34:40
Started reading the series yesterday and finished reading the Brimstone Angels series today and here's my thoughts:

The ~8 year hole sucked and didn't add anything.
The series writing was poor and generic with details/description about the environment, actions, sources, etc. Example: Where did Adolican Rhand appear after the light flashed before Havilars eyes and Farideh agreed to come with him? How come she couldn't she reach her even thought she was right next to her earlier just now?

Liked the twins characters tho.
Arcanus Posted - 07 Jan 2014 : 21:29:20
quote:
Originally posted by charger_ss24

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Gyor

Not even the Twins or Mehen?

To each thier own I guess, I liked all the Characters.

Nope. This is why I wish that the sundering had been a simple trilogy written by one major author, rather than stringing it out loosely over 5 books. So far I have actually seen very little about this RSE. The other tales could have been written independently of the main event as it were.

In response to one of your previous posts, I too, am having a hard time getting drawn in on The Adversary. What turned me off to start was all the pillow talk, romantic thoughts and angst surrounding Havilar. The book finally piqued my interest when Farideh and Dahl found their way in the company of Adolican Rhand. Hopefully it starts drawing me in now.

So far, I share you views overall with the Sundering. I'm fully expecting the next two books to be the same as these past three books, stand alone novels pitting the protagonist against the antagonist with tidbits of Sundering material. I'm holing out hope that The Herald will tie everything in together and we'll have a grand "ah ha!" moment.

I can see why they did it. Sew up loose ends with the other plots and also tell the sundering story. Two birds with one stone etc.
Trouble is with that is that the authors have to chop and change the stories they were going to tell originally. Paul kemps book is a good example. It felt very heavily chopped. That story deserved a trilogy on its own.
charger_ss24 Posted - 07 Jan 2014 : 18:45:23
quote:

quote:

Nope. This is why I wish that the sundering had been a simple trilogy written by one major author, rather than stringing it out loosely over 5 books. So far I have actually seen very little about this RSE. The other tales could have been written independently of the main event as it were.

In response to one of your previous posts, I too, am having a hard time getting drawn in on The Adversary. What turned me off to start was all the pillow talk, romantic thoughts and angst surrounding Havilar. The book finally piqued my interest when Farideh and Dahl found their way in the company of Adolican Rhand. Hopefully it starts drawing me in now.

So far, I share you views overall with the Sundering. I'm fully expecting the next two books to be the same as these past three books, stand alone novels pitting the protagonist against the antagonist with tidbits of Sundering material. I'm holing out hope that The Herald will tie everything in together and we'll have a grand "ah ha!" moment.
Arcanus Posted - 06 Jan 2014 : 23:34:39
quote:

Caolin Posted - 04 Jan 2014 : 03:37:11
I can sort of see what he's saying. Sometimes in a novel you get one or two characters that it focuses on that really grab you. I can't say there was any one character that grabbed me in this novel. But I don't hold that against it. I just feel that there was a lot going on and there were so many characters floating about. I do say that there were certain scenes that I always enjoyed. Any scene with the Nameless One was cool and the scenes with the Fountain waters were always fun.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000