Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 God of deserts

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Pluddon Posted - 16 Oct 2013 : 05:26:08
Thinking about the faerunian and even mulhorandi pantheon and didn't find a specific god of deserts. Wondering if anyone could enlighten me.
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
The Masked Mage Posted - 17 Oct 2013 : 18:42:48
Yeah, you're right - it's 2nd E... 1991 just seemed so long ago that my brain put it in 1st Edition :P
Markustay Posted - 17 Oct 2013 : 18:31:46
N'asr could NOT have been Cyric in 1e.

Which is a big problem, unless N'asr was Myrkul, and the Bedine did not even recognize a 'changing of the guard'.

The same would go for everywhere else (in 'other lands', where deities we are familiar with are worshiped under other names). When the gods changed after the ToT, these barbarian/peripheral regions did not notice the changes somehow. They continue to use the names they always did, no matter who is answering prayers (or not).
sleyvas Posted - 17 Oct 2013 : 18:29:06
So, it sounds like within the Mulhorandi Pantheon... Set
Within the Faerunian Pantheon.... Talos in one form or another (whether it be Talos, Bhaelros, Kozah.... and I agree with Markustay, Teylas is Talos not Akadi).
The Masked Mage Posted - 17 Oct 2013 : 18:26:38
Under these #147;great gods,#148; who are not actively worshiped (and so take little interest in Anauroch) are the #147;spirits of the earth,#148; or #147;little gods.#148; These gods the Bedine have daily dealings with: they are the spirits that the Bedine believe to inhabit every place or feature of the desert. The Bedine worship these demigods (largely by the sacrifice of camels or treasure), and they are very real, if seldom seen. Every oasis except those recently created by the Zhentarim, or as yet undiscovered by the Bedine has its Place Spirit, as do most other major desert features.

These spirits (which are far more interesting than the big gods, if you as me) have about 1.5 pages of write-up in the Anauroch sourcebook, including a description of two examples. The most interesting thing about these demi-gods is that they have been COMPLETELY forgotten by newer editions, which means no one has changed them or even mentioned them recently. Down beneath Shade's feet are dozens, if not hundreds of demigods :D
The Masked Mage Posted - 17 Oct 2013 : 18:21:56
This is all 1st Ed. OBVIOUSLY there have been some changes made in more recent publications.
The Masked Mage Posted - 17 Oct 2013 : 18:21:15
Shaundakul, the Treacherous Lurker In The Sands, is the mischievous, malicious trickster of the desert. He appears as a jackal-headed man, but corresponds in powers to the deity Beshaba. He blinds folk, causes oases to dry out, travelers to lose their way, and so on. Shaundakul is blamed by the Bedine for all misfortune. His servants, the capricious Windghosts#148; of the desert, are actually mad watchghosts (detailed fully in The Ruins of UnderMountain boxed set, and described in the #147;Anaurian Adventures#148; chapter of this book).
The Masked Mage Posted - 17 Oct 2013 : 18:20:03
N'asr, the Lord of the Dead, is the Bedine name for Cyric, the god of death, murder, and tyranny (who has taken the place of Myrkul). The great white-bearded vultures of the desert, known as N'asr#146;s children:#146; are said to ferry spirits to the camp of the dead, taking the dead to N'asr#146;s tent (which is somewhere westwards, beyond the setting sun), where the Pitiless One awaits.
Djinn serve N'asr; he gives the dead who displease him or who don#146;t measure up to them for sport, and then food. The worst fate of a Bedine is to wind up the slave of N#146;asr, so Bedine dead are washed to cleanse away the odor of life, to avoid offending N'asr. Clerical details for Cyric appear in the FORGOTTEN REALMS® Adventures sourcebook; the Bedine fear such priests, and will attack them.
The Bedine claim N'asr is the sun#146;s lover. The sun, At#146;ar, foresakes her lawful husband Kozah every night to sleep in N'asr#146;s tent.
The Masked Mage Posted - 17 Oct 2013 : 18:16:04
Kozah is the Bedine god of tempests; he vents his wrath by causing sandstorms (the sand left in the air for days after a major storm, that colors the sky crimson as the sun rises, is known as 'Kozah's mark"). Desert storms show his fury at the faithlessness of his wife At#146;ar, as the harlot enters N'asr's tent night after night ( = the sun goes down). Kozah is the god Talos; priesthood details are given in the FORGOTTEN REALMS® Adventures sourcebook. Clergy of Tales who enter Anauroch will be tolerated but not obeyed.
The Masked Mage Posted - 17 Oct 2013 : 18:15:15
Elah is the Bedine moon goddess, and is the same deity known elsewhere in the Realms as Selune. Priesthood details for Selune are given in the FORGOTTEN REALMS® Adventures sourcebook; clergy of Selune will be tolerated in Anauroch, but not obeyed.
The Masked Mage Posted - 17 Oct 2013 : 18:12:26
"Chief among them is At'ar the Merciless, the Yellow Goddess. She is the sun, seen as a spiteful, faithless woman. Of old, "At'ar" was called "Amaunator" in full, and was the male sun deity of Netheril. At'ar tends to ignore the Bedine completely; if a DM wishes her to manifest, use the entry for Horus-Re in the FR10/Old Empires sourcebook.
The Masked Mage Posted - 17 Oct 2013 : 18:10:41
Anauroch mentions that long ago a "Lord of the Sands" was worshiped but that was before the fall of the Lost Kingdoms.

Bladewind Posted - 17 Oct 2013 : 16:18:33
The people in the Land of Fate have no gods with the desert portfolio, but many powerful beings (including gods) are tied to the blistering sands in some form or another. Secrets of the Lamp detailed several genies, and I think the sultan of the Efreeti, Marrake al-Sidan al-Hariq ben Lazan, would be considered the most powerful 'Lord of Deserts'. He certainly will be the thoughest to defeat when in his deserthome turf.

The elemental gods (Grumbar, Kossuth, Ishtishia and Akadi) are seen as too 'cold' to worship properly. They are seen as inconceivably powerful though.

Haku (who seems like an alias for Shaundakul to me,) is a popular diety with the desert riders and nomads of Zakhara. His ethos of ultimate freedom is popular, but Haku worship is persecuted in some of the bigger cities.

A sun diety like Amaunator is the most likely to hear faerunian worship directed to the desert portfolio, as the radiance of their 'bodies' directly dictates life in deserts.

Thauranil Posted - 17 Oct 2013 : 13:24:26
I think Amunator would be the logical choice as the god of deserts. Or perhaps Grumbar.
Markustay Posted - 17 Oct 2013 : 13:18:15
Teylas (supposedly Akadi, but I really think it was Talos) is the 'God of the Wastes' in the Hordelands.

Although the source for that region says it was really a male aspect of Akadi, think that may have been an error on the part of who ever wrote that. If you read the novel (Horselords), it sounds EXACTLY like Talos (warrior deity, bolts of lightening, etc).

Of course, that doesn't necessarily mean he/she was the god of the wastes themselves, just the fierce people who lived in it. Grumbar is also mentioned, under the female guise of Etugen. Taken dorectly from The Horde box -

"Two gods, both elemental lords, are central to their beliefs. The most powerful and respected is Teylas, lord of the sky and storms (Akadi in Faerun). Teylas is the god of heaven. He watches over the nomads, sends rains, gives the people blessings and protects them from evil spirits. When he is angry he sends powerful thunderstorms to strike down his enemies.
The other major god is Etugen, goddess of the earth (Grumbar in Faerun). She is the source of many of the blessings on the people. She causes herds to increase and protects against some diseases. She provides good pastures."

Grumbar sounds more like The Earth Mother in that description. I guess this falls under the problem of hiring folks who are enamored with RW history, and tried to shoe-horn as much of it as possible into the Realms (without actually knowing much about FR).

I like A'tar, and would use her, but I'd spin her a bit differently (I'd make her Ushas, and the daughter of Amaunator/Lathander). I'm guessing that that 'deity' is really a mash-up of Aumantor from Netherese beliefs, and some female goddess from the SE, because the Bedine themselves are a mix of Zakharan nomads and Netherese survivors.
hashimashadoo Posted - 17 Oct 2013 : 12:49:25
If we can take the traditional role of the mesopotamian gods as given, then Nergal, before he died in the Orcgate Wars, would have also had dominion over the harsh role of the sun like At'ar in addition to his canonical role as Untheric god of the dead.
MrHedgehog Posted - 17 Oct 2013 : 04:01:11
At'ar's existence was originally ambiguous. I would go with her as a goddess of deserts.

Bhaelros, as people said, seems like a good alternative, too. Especially if you want a male entity for whatever reason.
The Sage Posted - 17 Oct 2013 : 03:13:09
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

I like Set...I think he should be used more in the Realms.

In fact, I have sometimes felt like he would make a perfect addition to the Faerunian Pantheon.

Checking 3e's Faiths and Pantheons last evening, it lists "the desert" among Set's portfolios. So we already have a desert-focused deity in the Realms... just not specifically as part of the Faerūnian pantheon.
The Masked Mage Posted - 17 Oct 2013 : 02:01:26
Also, priest geomancers worshiped Grumbar.
The Masked Mage Posted - 17 Oct 2013 : 01:49:36
There are numerous gods unique to Al-Qadim, and several them are "desert gods" ; all of these are described in the Land of Fate boxed set. The one I remember most clearly was called Haku, Master of the Desert Wind who's pantheon was about independence.
Ayrik Posted - 17 Oct 2013 : 01:16:00
There can be no other choice but Bane, of course.
Markustay Posted - 17 Oct 2013 : 00:29:09
Maybe we can just say "Zehir was Set all along".
Dalor Darden Posted - 16 Oct 2013 : 23:48:41
I like Set...I think he should be used more in the Realms.

In fact, I have sometimes felt like he would make a perfect addition to the Faerunian Pantheon.
sleyvas Posted - 16 Oct 2013 : 18:58:12
There could also be made an argument for Talos/Bhaelros when it comes to destructive heat in the desert and desert storms.
Markustay Posted - 16 Oct 2013 : 16:34:09
I'm not even sure if there's one in Zakhara, and although that might seem strange at first, think about it - to a Zakharan, that would be like "the god of everywhere".

I'd go with Set, personally. Velsharoon/Melifleur(sp?) might work as well (the whole 'desolation' thing) - they are the only ones who have something akin to a 'mummy vibe' going on.

Just Wiki'd Set - it appears he is the "god of the desert, storms, and foreigners in ancient Egyptian religion." Interesting - I never knew about the 'foreigners' part; that would make him the most-likely to operate outside of the Old Empires (along with Baast/Sharess and Hoar, of course).
silverwolfer Posted - 16 Oct 2013 : 15:41:14
You need to look up calshite, and see what they worship, to give you a good idea.
The Sage Posted - 16 Oct 2013 : 08:05:28
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

Originally, Set was the Father of the Desert...not sure about a Faerun god...

Though now you have me wanting one!

Set for the Realms, too, I'd imagine. His portfolios through the years of D&D cosmologies have included "desert storms" and, just, "the desert," so I can't see why this wouldn't also extend to his manifestation in Realmspace as well.
The Arcanamach Posted - 16 Oct 2013 : 07:38:16
Amuanator, in his aspect as A'tar (spelling?) could be considered the god of the desert.

Now, as to the goddess of
quote:
desserts
I would think Sharess
rjfras Posted - 16 Oct 2013 : 07:01:29
and in the same vein, who is the god(dess) of desserts?
sfdragon Posted - 16 Oct 2013 : 06:44:27
Amuanator who is atar who is also LAthander Lord of the High Noon sun..... would make a reasonable choice as deity of the desert, well the hot part anyway.

Dennis Posted - 16 Oct 2013 : 06:35:01
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

Grumbar, Elemental earth, sand is part of earth.
Perhaps, but ice is part water, yet we have separate deities for water and ice.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000