Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 do Cormyr hates wizards?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Diogo122 Posted - 11 Sep 2013 : 03:50:30
so i was playing with some friends today, and someone say that cormyr hates wizards even arrest then on the major cities and things like that,he also said that there is even a card on spellfire that shows this, i dunno but i don't remember anything about cormyr hatin wizards

help me please
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
The Arcanamach Posted - 11 Sep 2013 : 21:15:30
quote:
The only real "way" I can see that your friend may have thought that Cormyr hates wizards... might be due to some of what we've read in various novels that focus exclusively on the Forest Kingdom -- like Ed Greenwood's recent "Sage of Shadowdale" books. Which, as an example, tend to present some notable characters who carry such intense hatred for either magic-users in general, or the War Wizards in particular.

Agreed. The novels portray many nobles as chafing under the authority of the War Wizards. This may skew one's perception of the general populace but I think it's safe to say that most (even those chafing nobles) understand that Cormyr is better off with its wizards. Said nobles usually just want to control those mages...after a few choice removals, of course.
Drustan Dwnhaedan Posted - 11 Sep 2013 : 18:25:19
Yep, everyone here's pretty knowledgeable regarding Realmslore, with the possible exception of myself. I know I'm relatively new to the Realms (September 9 marked my 4th anniversary of adventuring on Toril), but I had always thought I possessed a quite respectable amount of FR knowledge. (And, compared to most of my gaming group, still do.) Then I came to Candlekeep and discovered I had only barely scratched the surface of Realmslore. (Not that I'm complaining; this is easily one of my most favorite sites EVER!)
Diogo122 Posted - 11 Sep 2013 : 17:15:08
Tnx very much guys, yea i think they are totally wrong,thats why i asked here about this, people here are full knowledge about the realms
The Sage Posted - 11 Sep 2013 : 16:39:31
The only real "way" I can see that your friend may have thought that Cormyr hates wizards... might be due to some of what we've read in various novels that focus exclusively on the Forest Kingdom -- like Ed Greenwood's recent "Sage of Shadowdale" books. Which, as an example, tend to present some notable characters who carry such intense hatred for either magic-users in general, or the War Wizards in particular.
Thauranil Posted - 11 Sep 2013 : 15:00:47
Cormyr would not survive long without its wizards and even though the people especially the nobility often resent their power, they all know this simple fact.
Dennis Posted - 11 Sep 2013 : 12:58:44

Agreed with George. Though Amn is not the only realm that abhors arcane magic. Chessenta is another, and rather pointedly. Consider yourself dead if you as much as show any sign of magical gift. The law changed when Tchazzar came back (in favor of Jhesri), but Shala Karanok reinstituted the rather harsh law after the death of the pretender god.

Note also that the War Wizards (not just soldiers, paladins, and whoever) have been instrumental in keeping the peace in Cormyr, in addressing threats within and without. And in the present era, it would be stupid of them to deny their realm of wizards, considering that their greatest(?) enemy, Shade, has a bunch of high-level archwizards.
Barastir Posted - 11 Sep 2013 : 11:40:45
Good answer, Ayrik. As for Spellfire, I think Diog0122 was mentioning the card game.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 11 Sep 2013 : 04:58:28
Cormyr has long -- pretty much since its inception -- had a Royal Wizard who assisted the Crown and helped prepare the kingdom, and it's had its own organization of wizards serving the kingdom for quite some time, too.

I concur with Krash: your friend is mistaking Amn, where wizards are most unwelcome, with Cormyr, one of the few nations in the Realms to actively make governmental use of wizards.
Ayrik Posted - 11 Sep 2013 : 04:23:59
The 2E Forgotten Realms Adventures sourcebook provides some rules on this.

Basically, Cormyr's War Wizards try to keep close watch on any wizards of 5th level or higher, ever vigilant against threats to Cormyr and her Crown. And there are rather harsh laws against those who use magic in a wantonly unresponsible, immoral, or criminal fashion, especially spellcrimes which result in rampant destruction, suffering, or loss of life. Blasting fireballs at villains who flee into markets, alleys, and taverns guarantees a wizard will be hunted down, have his magical goodies confiscated "for the Crown", maimed (things like fingers broken and tongue cut out, to prevent spellcasting), exiled and unceremoniously dumped at the nearest border ... hopefully not the border adjacent to Zhentil Keep or horribly unfortunate Tilverton. The War Wizards are magically-capable secret police, and they have access to many powerful wizards, spells, and toys - best not to antagonize them without good reason. Fighters who unsheath their steel and spill blood in town can expect much the same treatment.

Wizards who are well behaved generally have little to worry about from the law. PC Wizards are recommended to obtain an Adventurers' Charter from the Crown.

Spellfire in itself isn't illegal, indeed it is hardly known outside of the most powerful and erudite individuals. Most people would probably assume spellfire is just some sort of fire-based spellcasting effect. The few people who seek a spellfire wielder probably operate on their own agendas, not on Cormyr's. Of course, cooking buildings and people with spellfire will still invoke the full power of the law, even if it was "accidental" or uncontrolled, the War Wizards only want to find criminals, execute justice, maintain peace and security.
George Krashos Posted - 11 Sep 2013 : 04:23:39
You might be confusing Cormyr with Amn, where magic use is prohibited.

-- George Krashos
Jeremy Grenemyer Posted - 11 Sep 2013 : 04:13:24
Corny does not hate wizards. When wizards reach a certain level they must register with the Crown, and wizards of power in Cormyr are sometimes watched by the War Wizards, but on the whole wizards are welcome in Cormyr.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000