Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Zombies are aware: Written Proof

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
LordAo Posted - 30 Aug 2013 : 01:59:09
So in the book The ruby guartdian, by Thomas M Reid, who is a writer who has held various positions with WOTC including lead director, so knows or should know his lore and what it means.

IN the intro of the book , someone is killed then brought back as a zombie, but this is from the perspective of the victim who becomes aware that he is a zombie.

So this is a terrifying realization that, zombies have the awareness of that which it was in life, rather then just a dumb down interaction or animation by fell energy, is actually the entrapment of a real soul in the zombie that is reduced to a shell that only shuffles and groans.
14   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Arcanus Posted - 02 Sep 2013 : 21:13:10
I wonder if this zombie coffee cure will make it into somebodies home brew. Geddit?!!
Therise Posted - 02 Sep 2013 : 20:01:59
Wait, so... a caramel macchiato with whipped cream is a cure for undeath?

Somehow, I think I always knew this.
Ayrik Posted - 02 Sep 2013 : 18:52:03
Now, if only we had written proof that Volo is aware ...
The Red Walker Posted - 01 Sep 2013 : 01:19:53
quote:
Originally posted by Arcanus

Plenty of self-aware zombies Moderators in real life. Myself included sometimes.

there, fixed it for ya!
Alystra Illianniis Posted - 01 Sep 2013 : 00:53:53
But it doesn't CURE it- just staves off the effects for a while! Trust me, as a chronic insomniac, I should know.....
Wooly Rupert Posted - 31 Aug 2013 : 16:10:04
quote:
Originally posted by Arcanus

Plenty of self-aware zombies in real life. Myself included sometimes.

I'm not sure it's really considered being a zombie when the application of sufficient caffeine can cure the affliction.
Arcanus Posted - 31 Aug 2013 : 12:40:13
Plenty of self-aware zombies in real life. Myself included sometimes.
Alystra Illianniis Posted - 31 Aug 2013 : 06:20:03
That wasn't meant to be rude- I just don't see what your point was about them having awareness, since it's never been shown anywhere before. Were you trying to ask if anyone else had found evidence of this? Or just making an observation? Cause I'll admit I had no idea what you were going for here. Apologies for not being clear enough. And RW's right- that was WAY over-reacting.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 31 Aug 2013 : 05:19:22
Play nice, people.
The Red Walker Posted - 31 Aug 2013 : 04:29:34
quote:
Originally posted by LordAo

Wow you are a rude one, what point has to be made other then it is interesting? What is the point of your signature eating so much space , when you post so little of value?

No you described the entire scene pretty much Ayrik, I thought it was rather good.

Wow....over-react much? that could have been handled so much better.

She was just pointing out that it is the only known realms case of a zombie with awareness. your title and orignal post takes it to mean all relams zombies are self aware........something there is just no proof of.

I guess it is easy to name call and disparage a scribe of good repute here thsn it is to admit maybe you jumped the gun on redfining understanding of zombies based one one account that had special circumstances.
LordAo Posted - 31 Aug 2013 : 04:19:42
Wow you are a rude one, what point has to be made other then it is interesting? What is the point of your signature eating so much space , when you post so little of value?

No you described the entire scene pretty much Ayrik, I thought it was rather good.

Alystra Illianniis Posted - 31 Aug 2013 : 03:09:54
And the point of this is? Sorry, not seeing much here of interest beyond a single case of zombie self-awareness. I don't recall any other instance of this in the lore. The only thing I can think of that comes close to this is Warm Bodies- and it was a zombie-romance/satire flick.
Ayrik Posted - 30 Aug 2013 : 23:34:04
I recall the zombie-victim consumed some potion which poisoned him to death then animated him as a zombie? And yes, he slowly became aware - dimly aware, through the blunted senses of his now-clumsy unnaturally uead body - that he had become a zombie, although enough of his mind was left intact (at least initially) to recoil in utter horror at what had been done to him. Even his screams of dismay evoked little more than a sickly zombie moaning. Or was that another book?
TBeholder Posted - 30 Aug 2013 : 03:01:03
There are variants. Ju-ju zombies, for one.
quote:
who has held various positions with WOTC including lead director, so knows or should know his lore and what it means.
Unfortunately, "should" doesn't mean all that much in this area.
As evident from many, many times sourcebooks were allowed to dive into puerility more befitting the sort of drivel one could get from a backyard fanfic site. Such as BED (to the point of PrC looking like a mix of "12 yr old gaming girl" template and "Pony Girl" PrC from Bride of Portable Hole - BVD is a bit ludicrous too, but at least does not look like an expansion of "Really, Really Evil Creature" template from Book of Oafish Might), epidemies of elf-squee, elevating "Far Realm" as the universal cop-out and other meaningless shoehorning, etc. And let's not even start on 3.x era "art".
Or, for a more Realms-relevant example, lack of continuity editor work, sometimes obvious across the whole series.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000