Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Any News From THE FATE OF THE FORGOTTEN REALMS?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Plaguescarred Posted - 18 Aug 2013 : 12:57:40
Any good things came out from this Gen Con Seminar?

The Fate of the Forgotten Realms
Join novelists R.A. Salvatore, Ed Greenwood, Troy Denning, Erin Evans, and Richard Lee Byers to discuss the Sundering, and the great stories still to be told.
When: Saturday 4 – 6 PM
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Arcanus Posted - 23 Aug 2013 : 14:14:59
I'm not sure I like the fact that the gods will not be featured as much. I actually liked the novels that showed them in detail.
Brimstone Posted - 23 Aug 2013 : 14:02:03
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Therise

I will say, for those interested, the Star Wars ship combat minis are *gorgeous* and amazing, and they're going to be releasing large ship models PDQ.

I've got no interest in playing that game -- but I've got the minis of Slave 1 and the Millennium Falcon on my desk at work. Those pieces are way detailed, especially for just a game piece.

I've got most of the TIE pieces on both my library desk at home, and my workstation at work. The TIE Avenger is a particular favourite!

You better paint a red stripe on each solar panel.

I purchased two Avengers for exactly this reason. One without the stripe, and one with a carefully applied stripe [painted with my own trusty paints and brushes set] by my own hand.

Baron Fel would approve...
The Sage Posted - 23 Aug 2013 : 05:50:18
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

quote:

quote:

quote:

I will say, for those interested, the Star Wars ship combat minis are *gorgeous* and amazing, and they're going to be releasing large ship models PDQ.

I've got no interest in playing that game -- but I've got the minis of Slave 1 and the Millennium Falcon on my desk at work. Those pieces are way detailed, especially for just a game piece.

I've got most of the TIE pieces on both my library desk at home, and my workstation at work. The TIE Avenger is a particular favourite!

I purchased two Avengers for exactly this reason. One without the stripe, and one with a carefully applied stripe [painted with my own trusty paints and brushes set] by my own hand.
Brimstone Posted - 23 Aug 2013 : 03:55:48
quote:

quote:

quote:

Therise Posted - 23 Aug 2013 : 02:33:29
quote:

For everything from Fantasy Flight, I am just super impressed with the level of detail.

The Sage Posted - 21 Aug 2013 : 03:52:45
quote:

quote:

The Arcanamach Posted - 21 Aug 2013 : 01:19:17
And none of us wants you to get cut. There are a few really good names left writing/designing the setting and it needs all the talent that can be mustered. Thanks for the diligent work and trying to keep us updated.
Matt James Posted - 20 Aug 2013 : 23:02:26
quote:
Originally posted by The Arcanamach

Mr. James, none of us are trying to be snarky...we are just really anxious to get info on the upcoming incarnation of the setting. That said, it's a rather open secret that tons of old lore is still NDA despite the fact that little, if anything, will ever be done with much of it. It would be nice if some things were revealed (Example: The Sorceress in Grey mentioned in Volo's Guide to All Things Magical).

My reply was dry and brief. It might read poorly. I just wanted to drop in the thread that we're being cuffed. Some are being left out all-together. It's a tricky rope they make freelancers walk. If they perceive you as not toeing the line, you get cut.
Plaguescarred Posted - 20 Aug 2013 : 20:09:40
Thanks Erik and Matt for chiming in.
BEAST Posted - 20 Aug 2013 : 19:50:37
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Bane

I honestly hope that we won´t get "good triumphs because evil is portrayed incompetent" treatment again....

ala the He-man and Transformers cartoons. The comics and animated film started heading in the right direction . . .
Wooly Rupert Posted - 20 Aug 2013 : 17:16:05
quote:

Therise Posted - 20 Aug 2013 : 16:10:11
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Since nothing new was 'leaked', I am thinking nothing is yet set in stone. Either that, or they still haven't learned a damn thing about marketing. They are loosing traction.

I know it's somewhat difficult not getting much new information in terms of "reveals" for the upcoming Realms, but having sat through some of the panels I can say there's not a whole lot they can reveal without seriously spoiling the story. Not just the story in the novels, but the over-arching story that is changing the setting as a whole.

One thing that did come out (although leaked a bit early) was the fact that Bhaal is back. I think that's a pretty big reveal, really, and totally sets the stage for other gods to come back. Right?

Also, the Weave is back for reals - and admittedly that was done in Salvatore's novel - but that's a good thing too, right?

quote:
Glad everyone walked away from Genocn with the "Paizo is still the greatest!" attitude. Way to drop the ball.....

Personally, I sampled a lot of different games (most not WotC), but I never made it to try Paizo's new stuff. There was just so much to do and see, it was impossible to try everything.

My teenage boys were also all over the new cards that have come out. To be honest, I don't know what they were playing half the time because they're all what I call Magi-pokemon or whatever, but they were super excited and loving them. Like little dragons with miniature hoards, they carried them everywhere.

Markustay Posted - 20 Aug 2013 : 14:38:10
Since nothing new was 'leaked', I am thinking nothing is yet set in stone. Either that, or they still haven't learned a damn thing about marketing. They are loosing traction.

Glad everyone walked away from Genocn with the "Paizo is still the greatest!" attitude. Way to drop the ball.....
quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

quote:
Originally posted by Plaguescarred

Long ago Asmodeus made a powerful charm spell on a scroll, which was stolen by Chosen of Mystra and hidden in Candlekeep.
Asmodeus finally discovered the location of his scroll and dispatched to Candlekeep to get it.

Eh, looks like my guess was kinda spot on, after all.
So once a god/archfiend/whatever writes something down, they forget it?

Not really following the logic there (unless it was a McGuffin, and portion of his own power had to be invested in it to make it work).

Venger Posted - 20 Aug 2013 : 13:04:28
Agreed. Hell, I'd love to see Zhentil Keep come back through the hyper competence of the followers of Bane. Iyachtu Xvim is someone that I'd love to see becoming an evil "champion" and leading the charge in restoring Zhentil Keep. Yeah, I know I've got a weird bug up my butt about this, but in my opinion it'd be exciting for the Realms to have its own demigod epic hero style character on the level of a Hercules, Aeneas, and Perseus, the kind of hero who goes on to become the mythical founder of a powerful city-state. Except that in the case of Iyachtu Xvim, they could turn those tropes on their head by having their epic hero be the son of an evil god, and seek to re-found a city of evil so he could rule as a tyrant, and his accomplishments are so epic that the Zhentish version of Homer or Virgil composes an epic poem about his deeds.
Lord Bane Posted - 20 Aug 2013 : 12:07:40
I honestly hope that we won´t get "good triumphs because evil is portrayed incompetent" treatment again....
The Sage Posted - 20 Aug 2013 : 03:12:27
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

Let's be clear: there are still some Realms books that are going to be grimdarkgritty, but there are plenty that are going to be bright and wondrous.

I myself go for both, but hey.

Cheers

I'm the same.

I like grimdarkgritty novels ... but usually only when the plots for these kinds of books are purposeful -- and not feeling like they've been written to "cash in" on the omnipresent "angsty-teen-grimdark-vibe" that seems to permeate so much fiction these days.

But I do miss the Realms novels that tended to focus more exclusively on the spirit of adventure and wonder that lies at the heart of the world. The various "Harpers" books were great examples of that. Where, usually, the only "grimdarkgritty" thing in them might be the odd camp-fire ambush at night that threatens the intrepid main characters as they seek to solve some grand mystery plot.
Razz Posted - 20 Aug 2013 : 01:43:56
I want the Realms to be where it was headed in 2E. Various types of fantasy realms to play in; Aztec/Mayan, Oriental, Viking, Egyptian, Greek, Arabian, Euro-Medieval, Steampunk, Underdark, Underwater, Sky, Planar, Space, and so on.

Pretty much the way Paizo is doing Golarion. Because it seems to me Golarion is doing what I wish the Realms did ever since the advent of 3E, but all Realmsian in flavor of course. (I'm not fond of Golarion due to the lack of beholders, illithids, and other D&D core and noncore creatures)
Venger Posted - 19 Aug 2013 : 23:25:25
Yeah, I prefer a Realms that runs the gamut from grimdark to lighthearted faire. If I wanted grimdark all day, every day then I'd look to Warhammer for that.
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 19 Aug 2013 : 22:25:41
Let's be clear: there are still some Realms books that are going to be grimdarkgritty, but there are plenty that are going to be bright and wondrous.

I myself go for both, but hey.

Cheers
Wooly Rupert Posted - 19 Aug 2013 : 22:17:14
Oh, thank Lurue for moving the Realms away from the grimdarkgritty path it was going down! I'm only able to take grimdarkgritty in small doses, and I'd've never gotten into the Realms if it had been like that originally. I always felt like the Realms was a place of wonder, and grimdarkgritty and wonder are not things that play well together.
sleyvas Posted - 19 Aug 2013 : 22:16:01
quote:
Originally posted by BEAST

quote:
Originally posted by silverwolfer

<-< what happen to the good ole days of leaks

*snicker* Candle-leaks.com *snicker*

yeah, because candle-drips.com brings in a totally different vibe.
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 19 Aug 2013 : 20:45:32
The WotC even was really just talking about how they collaborated like crazy to come up with the Sundering, how they're looking forward to it (and the Realms going forward), and a few cryptic hints but no real information.

To paraphrase, R.A. Salvatore made a great point about how the Realms had recently become really dark--as in, the grimdarkification of fantasy was creeping into basically every Realms novel--and that he saw the Sundering as a way to return the Realms to a place where that isn't always the case. There's still plenty of room (as RLB put it) for the dark to show up in some novels, but going forward you'll have some books that are brighter, happier, and more "innocent" (in Bob's phraseology) heroic fantasy, like the Realms used to be.

To me, this indicates primarily that the Drizzt books will get away from the doom and gloom that has occasionally saturated them in the last couple trilogies (of particular note are the Pirate King and Ghost King novels!), and you'll get a Drizzt that is more like what Drizzt used to be--a heroic swashbuckler--plus the emotional maturity he's obtained over all those books.

I'll address the Candlekeep Presents event in the relevant thread, so as not to derail the topic.

Cheers
BEAST Posted - 19 Aug 2013 : 19:30:51
quote:
Originally posted by silverwolfer

*snicker* Candle-leaks.com *snicker*
Tarlyn Posted - 19 Aug 2013 : 13:01:33
Let me clarify my intial response. The authors were extremely gracious and happy to chat with fans. The fate of the forgotten realms seminar did not reveal any new info and imo was a missed opportunity to generate more buzz. The harpers at twilight event was amazing. The freelance writers, designers and all of the authors of the sundering event sat down without pay and hung out with us for four hours. Eric, Matt, Brian and James organize the event and pay for it out of pocket. Wotc provided several products to be given away. Both events were fun, I was just a little disappointed that no official new information was provided st the wotc event.
Jeremy Grenemyer Posted - 19 Aug 2013 : 04:37:00
quote:
Originally posted by The Arcanamach

That said, it's a rather open secret that tons of old lore is still NDA despite the fact that little, if anything, will ever be done with much of it. It would be nice if some things were revealed (Example: The Sorceress in Grey mentioned in Volo's Guide to All Things Magical).

When the Sundering is done and the 5E Realms is released, it'd be nice if WotC sat down with Ed and went over all the NDAs to try and iron things out. Maybe we ought to keep asking about it so they get the hint, eh?
Gyor Posted - 19 Aug 2013 : 04:16:40
I'm sorry didn't realize it was all nda stuff. I guess I'll have to be patient.
The Arcanamach Posted - 19 Aug 2013 : 04:06:44
Mr. James, none of us are trying to be snarky...we are just really anxious to get info on the upcoming incarnation of the setting. That said, it's a rather open secret that tons of old lore is still NDA despite the fact that little, if anything, will ever be done with much of it. It would be nice if some things were revealed (Example: The Sorceress in Grey mentioned in Volo's Guide to All Things Magical).
silverwolfer Posted - 19 Aug 2013 : 02:00:19
Matt James Posted - 19 Aug 2013 : 01:58:23
NDAs are prohibitive. Please don't think any of us are purposefully trying to be cute with the secretive nature of things.
Irennan Posted - 19 Aug 2013 : 01:42:36
quote:
Originally posted by Plaguescarred

Long ago Asmodeus made a powerful charm spell on a scroll, which was stolen by Chosen of Mystra and hidden in Candlekeep.
Asmodeus finally discovered the location of his
scroll and dispatched to Candlekeep to get it.

Eh, looks like my guess was kinda spot on, after all.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000