Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Possible spoilers for "Murder in Baldur's Gate"?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Therise Posted - 06 Aug 2013 : 00:11:42
So... uhm. In the new 5ED&D (or D&DNext) Playtest packet that was released a few days ago, there are some interesting new things included as supplementary material for the upcoming "Murder in Baldur's Gate" adventure/supplement.

And I'm a little puzzled and gobsmacked.

Read no further if you don't want these spoilery tidbits to potentially spoil you. In fact, I'll put it all in spoiler tags. Reveal at your own risk, really.

Abdel Adrian is in there as a lvl 2 (PC or NPC?). Shouldn't he be dead after the timejump, considering he chose mortality? Did the designers somehow forget that Abdel Adrian wasn't very well liked, and the Baldur's Gate novelization was considered pretty horrible?

Why level 2? Why include him at all, if it's post-1479? Where is his lover, Jaheira, if they're going to include him?

And there are other PCs or NPCs that can potentially become Chosen of Bhaal, the circumstances of which aren't described. Bhaalspawn will also apparently be wandering around, given a "Bhaalspawn Slayer" NPC at lvl 3.

I just don't know. I seriously hope that this is some kind of joke. On the other hand, if it's some kind of nostalgic "nod" to novels that were heavily panned, I really have to question what the designers are thinking.

30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Dragonstar Posted - 20 Oct 2013 : 21:25:07
quote:
Originally posted by Mournblade

It takes place in 1484.

Though I didn't see it printed, that's the year I guessed - but does anyone know on what day of the year Founders/Returning Day occurs? Meeting a contact at dusk varies depending on the season, and I'd like to be as accurate as possible.
Mournblade Posted - 13 Aug 2013 : 06:02:23
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Bane

Fear the mighty hamster! (Wooly not included)

Go for the eyes Boo! Go for the eyes!

Lord Bane Posted - 12 Aug 2013 : 19:52:44
Fear the mighty hamster! (Wooly not included)
Mournblade Posted - 12 Aug 2013 : 19:33:47
It takes place in 1484.

Also I am reading the campaign guide.

In the WIDE the main market place, there is a statue called the Beloved Ranger. He is smiling, and holding a hamster. A merchant commisioned it after that beloved ranger whom they DO name, saved him from theives.

Page 14.

Kryal Posted - 12 Aug 2013 : 16:08:25
Do we know which year the module is run in? I assume it's in 1480something?
Bakra Posted - 12 Aug 2013 : 14:36:31
quote:
Originally posted by Therise

Thanks for the answers! If that character is done well, it could work out very well, story-wise. I'm excited to see it.

I can't wait for it to hit the store. Also, there is an Launch Event weekend (August 17-18)for Murder in BG. The freebie material an adventure supplements (complements?) the main story. Plus the latest DnD Next playtest packet includes updated pre-gens. Its been suggested they can be used for D&D Encounters.

An on a side-note I liked the first novel and the characters. Most of my old gaming group did at the time.
Therise Posted - 12 Aug 2013 : 04:55:48
Thanks for the answers! If that character is done well, it could work out very well, story-wise. I'm excited to see it.

Mournblade Posted - 12 Aug 2013 : 04:46:50
Also an explanation to what I hid above is given. It makes sense.

Mournblade Posted - 11 Aug 2013 : 07:18:03
Oh yeah and therise this is the only spoiler I will give.

Highlight to read:

It is THAT Abdel Adrian, and he has an important role to play.
Mournblade Posted - 11 Aug 2013 : 07:16:40
quote:

quote:

I received Murder in Baldur's Gate Today, since I run it for the game store.

Mournblade, since you're running it, I have questions for you!

Nothing spoilery, I promise.

1. When you buy the "Murder in Baldur's Gate" set, does it include pre-gen characters?

2. Is there an extra packet for the D&D Encounters sessions related to this, or is everything you need in the set? (In other words, I know that packets are often handed out for prior Encounters seasons... is there a packet for this as well?)

quote:
I lost faith in Rich Baker after he allowed the spell plague to occur.

Honestly, I think Perkins and Cordell had more to do with the shake up than anyone else, but at the same time I doubt we'll ever know for sure who is responsible for what. I suspect the spellplague was a result of group-think.

quote:
RA SAlvatore told me at a book signing (Clifton NJ) that he personally insisted that Troy Denning had to be involved in the sundering.

I don't mind Troy Denning as a writer, I just want to see Cyric get the chop. I'm rather intrigued by this new Isteval character, who is also a creation of Denning IIRC.

Too answer your questions:

1) There are no pregens.
2) Well there is a web supplement you're supposed to use because the statistics for monsters and such are not in the set. Reason being you can run it as 3.5 or next. I have only found the next statistics on line, because I plan to run it as next.

So all of the events are included and what encounters occurs where, but they are very much leaving encounter building slightly up to the DM. Example in one part where you are trying to find kidnappers, it tells you what the kidnappers are and then those stats are in the web supplement.

I am not sure how much Chris Perkins has to do with the Realm changeover to 4e because he has openly admited he does not follow the realms. That may be an explanation why it turned out so horrible.
Therise Posted - 10 Aug 2013 : 08:34:34
quote:

Mournblade, since you're running it, I have questions for you!

Nothing spoilery, I promise.

1. When you buy the "Murder in Baldur's Gate" set, does it include pre-gen characters?

2. Is there an extra packet for the D&D Encounters sessions related to this, or is everything you need in the set? (In other words, I know that packets are often handed out for prior Encounters seasons... is there a packet for this as well?)

quote:

Honestly, I think Perkins and Cordell had more to do with the shake up than anyone else, but at the same time I doubt we'll ever know for sure who is responsible for what. I suspect the spellplague was a result of group-think.

quote:
RA SAlvatore told me at a book signing (Clifton NJ) that he personally insisted that Troy Denning had to be involved in the sundering.

I don't mind Troy Denning as a writer, I just want to see Cyric get the chop. I'm rather intrigued by this new Isteval character, who is also a creation of Denning IIRC.
Dark Wizard Posted - 10 Aug 2013 : 07:11:53
quote:

REALLY REALLY Nice layout and production. It is in line with Ed Greenwood's Forgotten Realms, though of course not hardcover and only 64 pages for the source material and 32 for the adventure.

And oh my god the DM's screen. Absolutely beautiful and absolutely brilliant with USEFUL tables like: RANDOM NPC NAMES! It took you 40 years to figure out that was good for a DM"S screen!

Random Place names. Keyed map locations ON the DM's Screen.

It is also well written.

It IS systems neutral so it is important to download monster stats from the website or it says make your own. When I see my encounters group this week I am going to ask them if they want it 3.5 D&D or Next.

As for the story: Well it is awesome. And I will not be a jerk.

BUT this will only effect Baldur's Gate Write up, not the larger realms.

Sold.
Jeremy Grenemyer Posted - 10 Aug 2013 : 06:37:00
quote:
Originally posted by Learned Scribe

Mod Fail!
No, not at all. Wooly has the right of it: it's time to move on.

For what it's worth I'd like to see Rich Baker involved somehow in the Realms that's on the horizon. He's worked on the Realms for years already, so I'm sure he's ready to take a break, but if somewhere down the line he penned a new Realms adventure or helped on a sourcebook, I'd buy it sight unseen.
D-brane Posted - 10 Aug 2013 : 06:35:23
quote:
Originally posted by Learned Scribe

Mod Fail!

Learned Scribe Fail!
Learned Scribe Posted - 10 Aug 2013 : 05:55:46
Mod Fail!
Wooly Rupert Posted - 10 Aug 2013 : 05:33:43
We have a new edition coming out. I think we can stop complaining and assigning blame for what we didn't like about prior editions.
Mournblade Posted - 10 Aug 2013 : 04:42:50
quote:
Originally posted by The Arcanamach

How did Rich Baker "allow" the Spellplague to occur? Wasn't he just contracted by WotC to do the book?

I was involved in his thread about the realms development. He did not write anything in the book but he was a major director. He towed the "there is too much lore, the realms is too hard" line for my liking. That thread still exists but it is difficult to find.

Keep in mind I love his Alternity supplements and the work he did on that, as well as most of the FR supplements and books he wrote. I am just disappointed he jumped on the "Lore is hard" bandwagon.

The Arcanamach Posted - 10 Aug 2013 : 04:37:12
How did Rich Baker "allow" the Spellplague to occur? Wasn't he just contracted by WotC to do the book?
Mournblade Posted - 10 Aug 2013 : 04:29:43
quote:

An entire novel focusing on Cyric and/or his Chosen agent is also a rather poor decision, I think. Too many people dislike Cyric as a concept and character. Of course, if they get Denning to write the story of Cyric's complete fall and loss of godhood, that would be appropriate in my book. I really don't want to see Cyric take on any new role, similar to Tharizdun or as a Loki-like deity that wants to destroy all the gods. I just want him gone, totally out of the picture.

Personally, I would've had Rich Baker contracted to do one of the novels, or Elaine Cunningham.

Mournblade Posted - 10 Aug 2013 : 04:26:42

REALLY REALLY Nice layout and production. It is in line with Ed Greenwood's Forgotten Realms, though of course not hardcover and only 64 pages for the source material and 32 for the adventure.

And oh my god the DM's screen. Absolutely beautiful and absolutely brilliant with USEFUL tables like: RANDOM NPC NAMES! It took you 40 years to figure out that was good for a DM"S screen!

Random Place names. Keyed map locations ON the DM's Screen.

It is also well written.

It IS systems neutral so it is important to download monster stats from the website or it says make your own. When I see my encounters group this week I am going to ask them if they want it 3.5 D&D or Next.

As for the story: Well it is awesome. And I will not be a jerk.

BUT this will only effect Baldur's Gate Write up, not the larger realms.

Therise Posted - 10 Aug 2013 : 01:17:02
My pet theory:

I believe it -is- the same character from the novel. He chose mortality in the novel, and afterwards probably decided to disappear into some level of obscurity so he wouldn't be followed or attacked. After the Spellplague happened, he may have been one of the few who felt that he could act to help others. He flipped his first and last name around (or it's just a misprint), and rose to power in Baldur's Gate as it grew into what it is now. Note that it says "his past has caught up to him" in some way, and You-Know-Who is making a grand re-appearance with lots of murders happening in the city.

He probably still has lingering abilities (extremely slow aging, regeneration), because of his genetic inheritance. Since he was born that way as a mortal, there's no reason he should've lost them even if he did reject his, uhm... throne.

It's probably just intended as a little bit of nostalgic fan service. Perhaps when they made the decision to include him here, no one on the current staff remembered how poorly he was received by fans (or how terrible those novels are). It's pretty derpy to include a hated character from the past, but I can live with it.

Calmar Posted - 09 Aug 2013 : 23:35:16
In 3.5 terms, Abdel Adrian is a 4th-level fighter: http://media.wizards.com/downloads/dnd/MinBG_Statistics.pdf

At first I was very sceptical myself, but think about it:
they ditch that 4E stuff and continue where they should have continued 5 years ago.
'Abdel Adrian' doesn't necessarily have to mean he's the actual guy from the unpopular novel; maybe WotC is using the term as a synonym for what BG players call CHARNAME.
Also, since Ed Greenwood was involved in the Baldur's Gate PC games (he at least wrote some stuff for teh manuals, IIRC) I trust him to do better than the author of that infamous novelisation.
Dark Wizard Posted - 08 Aug 2013 : 04:45:22
I recall one of the 2E deity books (want to say Powers and Pantheons) had portraits of a "typical" priest dressed in the full regalia of their church for many of the deities, even the more obscure ones. That was very lovely to see priests in their ceremonial garb. Some of it could double as typical adventuring outfits for the more martially oriented deities.

Faiths and Pantheons had the deities appearing roughly by pantheon or relative power, or obscurity really, since the greater powers mostly had solo portraits.
Jeremy Grenemyer Posted - 08 Aug 2013 : 04:17:14
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Which really isn't all that much of a stretch from the somewhat ambiguous nature of Jergal's place in the Realms pantheon now.

It's a good fit.

Didn't the artwork in the 2E Realms deity books portray deities together in little groups, based on their alignments or similar?

Even if the Sundering doesn't officially re-align the deities in the manner I'd prefer, I'd still like to see those deities together in one portrait.

Art for art's sake, and all that.

But this is a scroll about Murder in Baldur's Gate spoilers, so I now return you to your regularly scheduled scroll topic.
The Sage Posted - 08 Aug 2013 : 03:09:44
quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Grenemyer

... Jergal can be court Sage.
Which really isn't all that much of a stretch from the somewhat ambiguous nature of Jergal's place in the Realms pantheon now.

It's a good fit.
Kris the Grey Posted - 07 Aug 2013 : 23:21:08
Therise,

Okay, didn't mean to misread you there. I couldn't agree with you more on your general point (and I too would have loved to see a Liriel Baenre novel - maybe one dealing somehow with a restoration of Eilistaree - as part of the Sundering series!).
Therise Posted - 07 Aug 2013 : 22:00:06
quote:
Originally posted by Gyor

Troy wasn't the one responsible for Netheril taking over Sembia, Paul S Kemp was.

Yeesh. I did not say that.

Neither Troy Denning nor Paul Kemp were "responsible" for Netheril taking over Sembia. Authors are given outlines by the Realms developers, and must often write their stories around specific plot points.

Denning's novels set the stage for what happened in Kemp's novels.

The POINT that I was trying to make: Realms novel readers need to learn how to separate the author from the setting/plot requirements handed down from the head office.

Gyor Posted - 07 Aug 2013 : 21:49:54
Troy wasn't the one responsible for Netheril taking over Sembia, Paul S Kemp was.
Lord Bane Posted - 07 Aug 2013 : 20:25:50
I am against this Court of the Dead idea. I rather see Myrkul wage war with Kelemvor before sitting in a "court" with him (Cynosure is the exception).
Jeremy Grenemyer Posted - 07 Aug 2013 : 20:07:32
quote:

the only exciting thing I think there is about Kelemvor is the Gothic Paladins he spawned. I have had quite a few Kelemvor Paladins in my campaign. 3 total at different times. He seems to be a popular choice.
I've gotten a lot out of Kelemvor on the DM/creative side of things, like creating Holy Hosts of Kelemvor that scour whole cities of undead, but I do agree: Doombringers, paladins and undead slayers in general are all pretty easy to bring into the Realms with Kelemvor around.

Since WotC likes to do some deities in threes, should there be a Court of the Dead? I'd prefer Kelemvor at the center since he seems more balanced, with Myrkul to his left and Bhaal to the right.

If the Court of the Dead were expanded, Mask can play court Jester and Jergal can be court Sage.

That's a piece of artwork I wouldn't mind seeing.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000