Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Bandit and pirate NPCs in Unther

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Icelander Posted - 16 Jul 2013 : 04:57:19
In my Purple Reign/Unther campaign, which focuses heavily on the war between the Mulhorandi and the many factions that make up 'Free Unther', I have a need for a steady stream of NPCs who are local warlords, bandit kings, pirate admirals or partisan commanders. Basically, anyone who would have kept or built up a militarily significant number of armed men in the neighbourhood of Unther during the chaos and warlordism between 1357 DR and the current era, 1373 DR in my game.

With recent events in my campaign, Wyrm Princess Shudu-Ab, Breath of the Red Ravager, has come to dominate the organised faith of Tiamat in Unther once again. She has called on all those who profess allegiance to the Dragon Queen to rally under her banner, fighting for the Shibutu (Council) of Messemprar, where she is one of the councilors.*

She has the command of an army marching** to the relief of Sadamzar, besieged by one of three Mulhorandi field armies operating in Northern Unther. In that army will be a lot of bandits from the Riders to the Sky Mountains, pirates professing allegiance to Tiamat and what remains of the revolutionary organisation of the Tiamatans in Unther.

Backing this army is also the Cult of the Dragon in Unther, both those factions that worship the Undying Queen, an aspect of Tiamat, and the Bane-dominated faction of Mourktar and Threskel, headed by Alasklerbanbastos himself. The Regent of Mourktar, High Imperceptor Kabarrath Telthaug, has also sent the Crow Banners and the Six Black Blades leading mercenaries to provide assistance.

Obviously, these disparate elements will never hold together for long. But for now, they have a common interest in preventing Mulhorand from controlling the Methmere. They can fight over who among them will inherit it after they ensure that it doesn't become a bastion of Anhurite crusasers, at least.

This means that I'm looking for suggestions on colourful and interesting characters that could bring contigents of fighting men to this army. They could be responding to Shudu-Ab's calling of her banners, they could be from any of several Cult of the Dragon factions involved, they could be Bane-worshippers acting on orders from Mourktar or they could be attracted to the army for materialistic or even patriotic motives.

Anyone who brings enough men, of enough value, so that he will be included in at least some councils of war, will need to be fleshed out. I don't care so much for stats, as I can come up with them at need, I just want as many ideas about personality, histories, looks, hooks, identifiable characteristics, rivalries, goals, etc. as possible.

Basically, just a short written description, system-agnostic, of interesting characters that scribes think might be involved in this enterprise and be important enough so that they might matter for the political maneouvering that the PCs will be engaging in aside from trying to carry out military operations with this army.

And yes, there are young dragongs and dracoliches representing Alasklerbanbastos. Three dracoliches and nine dragons still waiting for a chance to receive the blessing. I've already named most of them, but I might welcome suggestions for personalities or private goals they could have.

I'm also looking for an interesting new Tiamatan warrior type, to take the place of Kedrak Gilbane, the former Lord High Marshal of the Knights of the Five-Thorned Rose. He, and his proposed replacement, have both come down with acute cases of terminal PC-itis, which has made relations with Shudu-Ab somewhat... challenging.

The new replacement will not be as puissant as a warrior, meaning in D&D terms something around 10th-13th level might be plausible, but needs to be less aggressive and more of a people person. Preferably someone who can be hyped up as a popular hero among the population, where Tiamat is often viewed with wary respect, stemming from her opposition to Gilgeam.

I still haven't decided on anyone in specific, but I wonder about what background he'd have. What would a good general worshipping Tiamat be doing between the war between Tiamat and Gilgeam in 1357-1358 DR and the current time? Since we know he didn't rise to power in Messemprar, at least.

*And hopes to become sole ruler in good time, with the backing of the Dragon Queen. But at first, she wants to make use of the other factions in Free Unther, as the Mulhorandi are more immediate threats.
**With logistical support provided by boats, galleys and other watercraft on the Methmere and River of Metals.
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
cpthero2 Posted - 21 Sep 2018 : 02:04:05
Good afternoon Senior Scribe Aldrick,

I was elated to take note of your post regarding economics analysis in the Realms!

I am currently about 40% through my studies in a Doctorate of Applied Economics in Cluster Development. I'd absolutely love to collaborate with you if you are still interested in such material? Though there are clearly tools that are used and were developed in modern times, within the confines of systems of government and economies that are frankly anathema to what it takes to establish a cluster, I certainly know economics. I've done some research in my undergrad as well as in my MBA program regarding high Germanic, Manorial economics of the 15th century that I feel is quite relevant to what most people conveniently use in their campaigns.

Please do message me on the site if you'd like to discuss further.

I realize this is (5) years later, but in the off chance you've yet to work on this, I'm expressing interest!

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by Aldrick

I actually planned to make a post about how trade and economics likely work in the Realms, so I want to eventually address everything in your response in future posts.

However, I want to first address one of the main points about population. I would point out that the population numbers that I've given are MUCH higher than stated in the 3E FRCS.

For example, Unther has a population of 4,265,840 according to the 3E FRCS. I've given Unther a population of 12,960,000.

Mulhorand has a population of 5,339,520 in canon, and I've given them a population of 11,664,000.

Chessenta has a population of 3,386,880 in canon, and I've given them a population of 6,912,000.

Thay has a population of 4,924,800 in canon, and I've given them a population of 20,160,000.

Imagine that - Thay, despite it's intense use of magical agriculture - has a population nearly equal to war torn and famine stricken Unther, and a smaller population than Chessenta!

Of course, as I pointed out - the population numbers shifted dramatically between editions without any explanation. It is all based on the D&D formulas being used.

I'm going to write more about magical agriculture later, but if we assume the nations are roughly the size I outlined based on the 3E Map, and we took the population numbers from the 3E FRCS into account - then there would be massive amounts of wilderness in those nations. Keep in mind that in my population estimates I'm assuming that only roughly 33% of the nations are settled. The other 67% is wilderness. If we go by 3E population estimates, and assume the measurements are correct - then we're looking at only roughly 10% to 15% of the entire nation as settled. This wouldn't make much sense - arguably, my population estimates are on the lower side of things, and for Unther and Mulhorand I should have gone even higher with population density.

The alternative to fix that is to shrink the size of the countries (meaning the scale of the 3E map is wrong). However, that would make the countries seem unnaturally small. Keep in mind that Unther is (as I measured it based on the 3E Map scale), roughly the size of modern day France. Mulhorand is roughly the size of modern day Spain.

...and arguably speaking, I think the scale of the 3E map is already probably too small. So shrinking it further is something I'd personally avoid. So, we basically have a situation where - if we go by canon numbers - there is an insane amount of wilderness, or alternatively, the population numbers I've given are more realistic.

Once again, I'd point out that the population numbers change arbitrarily with each edition, based on whatever formula they are using - in most cases they shrank even more when 4E came out. (In a few cases - cut by almost half!)

So, personally speaking, I wouldn't be afraid to fiddle around with the population numbers. Arguably speaking, I think the numbers I gave for Mulhorand and Unther are too low - not too high, considering how long those lands have been settled.

The real point of debate is over the size of the cities. In general, more cities are generated than metropolises. I don't think it would necessarily break things to shrink the number of people living in cities by giving some additional population to the metropolises. However, an issue with that is we wouldn't want a huge amount of distance between cities without a legitimate reason. So that involves doing things like measuring distance between the cities on the map, and that could get insanely tedious.

According to what I came up with, Unther has 2 Metropolises, 27 Cities, and 156 Towns. However, canonically speaking Unther only has 7 listed locations - two of which are indeed Metropolises, and some of which are explicitly stated as being small towns or even villages, and I inflated their populations. So there is a lot of settlements that need to be added to Unther to flesh it out properly.

As for the magical agriculture stuff and economics - I'm going to address that later in a separate post.

Icelander Posted - 30 Jul 2018 : 17:35:46
Examples of the kind of thing I'm asking about (though I could always use a little more detail):

Fell Admiral of the Alamber Sizuthros the Despoiler, Scourge of the Wizard Reach, Blade of the Nemesis and Tyrant of Alkoth. Sizuthros is a Tiamat-worshipping pirate admiral who has brought both ships and men to the army commanded by Wyrm Princess Shudu-Ab. Sizuthros is well-dressed, charming, handsome and erudite. The corsairs and ships he brought were well received, but his main contribution to Shudu-Ab's military endeavours so far have been diplomatic, in that he has successfully kept the peace in a highly complex and combustible high command, where everyone from the lords down to the meanest bandits acting as scouts may have blood feuds with one or more factions in Shudu-Ab's army.

Sizuthros has made several fortunes in slave-taking and settlement raiding, which leads his detractors to whisper that he is more unscrupulous merchant than real corsair lord, as no one can remember a time when Sizuthros fought hand to hand against Thayvian knights, the lords of the sahuagin, champions of the Mulhorandi or marines from Aglarondan, Chessentan or Untheri warships.

Other whispers, heard among the Banite, Zhentarim and the wilder bandit elements of Shudu-Ab's army, are that Sizuthros has seduced the Wyrm Princess and thereby ensured a spot as honoured advisor, as more deserving men are shut out of the command tent every night.

---

King of the Servants of Nememis, Rhesos Cerzula Bloodscalp. A gigantic (7’, 300 lbs.) Threskeli tribesman with ragged black hair and a nose broken on many occasions. Continually leers at the world. A violent bully, rapist and ravager whose fearlessness, ferocity, tenacity and mastery of the rhomphaia (cleaver-like polearm) are among this few virtues.

Cerzula claims descent from Rhesos ('King') Basomir, a hero of the rebellion against Unther. His grandfather, the old king’s namesake, was a respected chieftain whose word held say far outside his own tribe. Cerzula is the third son of Bagrúvas, who ruled as chief over one of four related tribes. Cerzula killed two of his brothers, Rhunzula and Khadzula, to claim rulership over their tribelets. The eldest brother, Angrúvas, left Threskel to adventure many years ago and eventually become a Serpent Guard in the service of Tiamat. Angrúvas is now a Knight of the Five-Thorned Rose and high in the councils of Shudu-Ab. Cerzula believed his older brother Angrúvas to be dead until this spring, when they saw each other at the camp of Shudu-Ab's army.

The Servants of Nemesis who follow Cerzula are a band of Threskeli outcasts, coming from at least four different tribes, whose devotion to Tiamat is less sincere than their love of looting, raping and burning. There is some one thousand of them, a hundred ‘nobles’ and their retinues, who fight as more-or-less disciplined medium infantry, three hundred skilled irregular light infantry and five hundred undisciplined rabble of dubious military value. Only the three hundred best have come to fight for Shudu-Ab, but if she can provide the logistics, Cerzula will be happy to call for more warriors.

---

Malek of the Lords of Chaos Arkha mar Sarduri (‘son of Sarduri’).
Short and stocky man with a thick black beard and hair, decorated most garishly with gold and copper trinkets. Has yellowish deep set eyes that gaze malevolently on the world. Scheming, silent man who nurses resentments instead of speaking out about them and takes his revenge in the night. Carries a wicked sickle-axe and is also a master of curved knives.

Arkha's Lords of Chaos are men from the Smoking Mountains and neighbouring communities, primarily Dalath, who have been bandits since before the fall of Gilgeam. He brings a hundred of them with him to meet Shudu-Ab at the Methmere, with the older men fighting as disciplined medium infantry and the younger being irregular light infantry.

---

Malkha of the Abzumu Obodas bar Aqhat.
A man who is in no way different from any ordinary peasant in appearance, being half-bald, rather short and slight and with badly groomed brownish-black beard that is hacked off at the chin. Only a careful observer notes that Obodas is stringy and tough in build, and that he walks with perfect balance and self-assurance. Obodas is a dangerous assassin, with knife, garrotte or poison.

The Abzumu (men of Tiamat’s freshwater consort, men who take) are a tribe of religious dissidents in northern Unther. A hundred of them answered Shudu-Ab’s call, under their most respected warleader, Obodas. They are divided about equally into successful and disciplined elites and more modestly equipped scouts.
Icelander Posted - 26 Jul 2013 : 21:33:29
Garhipes Menos sounds fine, but why isn't his noble lover the official commander? Not a problem, of course, I'll just come up with a name and description of him and have them be co-commanders. Because clerics of Gilgeam were all of noble blood anyway, he's a social equal to any frontier noble, most likely.

One thing I've established in my campaign is that Untheri society uses educated slaves for many important jobs, since they are less likely to scheme against you, seeing as they can't qualify for your position should you fall. I've also adopted the real-world practice, common to many societies, of having many of these senior slaves be eunuchs. This prevents them being in a position to have inconvenient children which might cause them to think in terms of dynasties, rather than discharge their duties so as to be too useful for anyone to dispense with.

I'll aim to have several of my Untheri NPCs be former (or current pleasure slaves) as well as slave administrators and bureaucrats, with many of them being eunuchs.

But what I really need for Sunday's game are more bandit leaders and pirates in Shudu-Ab's army.
Lord Bane Posted - 25 Jul 2013 : 14:42:44
It wouldn´t be hard to have the Grinning Lions be important to her. Simply make it that the Rays of Skuld were ordered to engage the enemy near Sadamzar due to some needed manpower being missed in that area (i would assume the fight for Sadamzar or any settlement is a costly one for both sides) and they managed to capture an influential noble who has much sway in the area and could, granted the cards are played right be very favorable to the rescuers. She might have heard that the leader of the guarding force, Chorm is the twin brother of Dilos and she can assume that Dilos may know his brothers strategy and wants to use him as a key in gaining the nobles favor which in return could increase her own power in the struggles to come and in disputes with her allies. That way Dilos could be part of the war council temporarily and you can have him meet an end when and how ever you wish.

For "local" ones:

Garhipes Menos, an aging man with bald head and a graying black beard, born and raised in Messemprar was of the clergy of Gilgeam and only managed to avoid the riots upon his gods death due to the fact that he was overseas in Sembia to broker deals with some sembian merchants for the clergy of Gilgeam back home. Upon his return he was struck with shock on what had occured and quickly shed his colours and went north into hiding. Being a wellspoken charmer it wasn´t long until he caught the eyes and ears of a untheri nobleman at the border to Threskel who took a liking in men and made Garhipes his lover. The former priest of Gilgeam was quick to use this new situation to make the noble answer to his every whim and he secretly gathered other former priests of Gilgeam in higher places near him in the region. Before Mulhorand invaded he had hoped to secretly stage a coup and errect a small state between Threskel and Unther, seceeding from it´s crumbling remains. With Mulhorand making the moves before him though, he was quick to pledge the clergy groupes loyalty to the cause of defending Unther and rallying former faithfull still loyal to the old regime creating a small army, numbering roughly 1,000, calling them Heirs of Unther and threw his weight with the alliance against Mulhorand. That does not mean he is completely loyal to them though, he hopes once Mulhorand is defeated, the alliance is too weak to stop him from creating his own state.
Icelander Posted - 25 Jul 2013 : 13:53:00
Good, good. I had already detailed the mercenaries in the service of Mulhorand, but there's no reason such a small group can't be added to it. After all, they are rich and they are suffering reverses. Why not hire more mercenaries?

To make this useful to my campaign, though, is there any particular reason why the Grinning Lions would be important enough to Shudu-Ab to include Dilos Hephon in her councils of war as she hurries down the River of Metals to the relief of Sadamzar? She's commanding roughly 7,000 troops, including contingents from her own Tiamatans, from the retinues of nobles of fallen Unther, from the Cult of the Dragon*, from bandits and mercenaries in the service of Mourktar (but not official Mourktari troops) and anyone else who might rally to her banners.

I do want to reflect the locality and demographics in the make-up of leaders and their troops. That means that 50-80% of the people fighting for Untheri factions will be from greather Unther, i.e. Unther proper, Chessenta and Threskel; with most of the rest being from other neighbouring lands, such as Thay, the Wizard Reach, the Shaar and Chondath; with other possibilities being the Endless Wastes (particularly the mountainous region between Khazari, Semphar and Ulgarth), the Shining South, the Vilhon Reach, the Lake of Steam and suchlike.

While mercenaries do travel extreme distances sometimes, such a situation does leave us with the task of explaining why they spent several years travelling and bypassed a few promising wars on the way to report for this duty. And an exotic foreigner is not exotic unless there are two or three locals for every foreigner. So while I'm not averse to including mercenaries from far off, note that I have to include a few local NPCs for every one who comes from abroad.

*Including some from the Great Bone Wyrm faction, some other Banites, the Undying Queen faction and some pirates and bandits who don't know much about the underlying religious factions.
Lord Bane Posted - 25 Jul 2013 : 12:15:37
Some ideas for "leaders".

Chorm and Dilos Hephon, oprhan twins hailing from Ormath in the Shining Plains. Oprhaned during one of Ormaths many violent disputes with neighbours they were taken in by an elderly mercenary who decided to spent his final days in Ormath and taught them the ways of the sword. Upon reaching adulthood they set out and encountered a cleric of Beshaba who hired them as bodyguards. During their time serving the priest of the Lady of Doom they were slowly turned against each other which resulted in a fallout that left the cleric dead and Dilos with one ear missing while his brother got away unharmed.
From this incident Dilos holds a deep hatred for his twin and converted to the faith of Hoar, seeking revenge for what his brother did to him yet recent encounters with banite clergy in Mourktar has him pondering if the Black Hand may not be a better choice to see his twin meet his end. Due to his lost ear he shies away from crowds and mostly keeps to himself. Nonetheless he managed to gather a small band of mercenaries, named The Grinning Lions,numbering roughly 50 swords, displaying a Lion baring it´s teeth. They are employed by Mourktar to guard supply lines and do small raids into the rear of the enemy.
Chorm, after the fallout with his brother went into Mulhorand where he rose to the position of a mercenary captain in a thriving company of 200 men and women hailing from Skuld, naming themselves the Rays of Skuld, carrying their symbol, the emblem of Mulhorand surrounded by golden rays. He converted to the faith of Anhur and immersed himself in the culture of Mulhorand. His dispute with his brother, which has left the beshaban priest dead, caused the ire of it´s church which now seeks to bring them Doom of their Lady upon Chorm. Having survived an assassination attempt already, Chorm got paranoid and questions each and everyons motivations, often letting men of his company spy on each other. Despite this slowly increasing climate of mistrust within the Rays of Skuld, they were hired to protect the supply route leading from Shussel to the front up north.
Icelander Posted - 25 Jul 2013 : 10:32:18
The discussion in this scroll has been most helpful and interesting.

Has anyone been struck by inspiration for NPCs?

People who can bring enough power to Shudu-Ab's* army that she'd need to consult them in councils of war.

'Enough power' would be around 400-1,000 light to medium infantry troops with a modicum of discipline and fighting experience; which would translate into maybe 200 organised heavy infantry or elite scouts, 100 heavy cavalry, three to four pirate rakers, one true warship, several mages and apprentices or one mage of sufficient power.

Bandit leaders or pirate leaders who support the Cult of the Dragon, Bane or Tiamat, for example. Foreign mercenaries hired by one of those. Foreign allies of one of those.

Does anyone have ideas for names, personality, history, goals, rivalries, allies?

*Or, you know, to the Northern Wizards, the former Gilgeamites, the Gray Ghosts or other factions. While I need to introduce the sub-leaders of the army of Shudu-Ab earlier in my game than I need to detail every smaller leader of the other factions, I'll eventually need to do them all.
Icelander Posted - 24 Jul 2013 : 07:15:03
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

Please bear in mind, I'm kind of playing devil's advocate here. So, the idea you have that Tempus' worshippers will react one way and the red knight's followers will react a different way... its an interesting and believable viewpoint. However, while I see Tempus' clergy reacting the way you described, I don't see the Red Knight's followers reacting ONLY in the way you describe. Yes, they are an inherently lawful church, BUT they are strategists, and that sometimes implies not betting everything on one horse. So, they may have a directive that one group of the red knight's followers are to interject themselves amongst the Mulhorandi, to learn about their forces, how they work, where their supply trains are, etc.... Then, they stick another contingent of red knights working with the Untherites, ostensibly promoting the Faerunian pantheon against foreign pantheon encroachment.... but really their purpose is to weed out those Untherite supporters who will be a problem. They don't care if the Untherites are winning or losing, so long as they're seen to be putting up "a good fight".

Now, granted, size wise, this faction of red knight followers would be small.

I don't want to sound like I think it's impossible. Indeed, I noted that my PCs are explicitly trying to entice knights, champions, priests and lay worshippers of the Red Knight to come to Unther and aid their war effort. They'll have some success with that, of course.

But the Red Fellowship just isn't very numerous or powerful, compared to the churches of Greater Gods with wide popular support. And the Citadel of Strategic Militancy on the Sword Coast and Tethyr, for that matter, both centers of the new faith, are pretty far away.

Added to which, most of worshippers the Red Knight has in eastern Faerun are already seeking their fortune in Kourmira, where Hubadai Khahan has been encouring them to set up temples, military academies and training facilities for almost ten years now.

How many other assets than the Gold Swords of Mulhorand is the Red Knight likely to have in the area? Considering that most of the 'church' is simply shrines inside temples to Tempus?

I'd think it would make more sense to have some of the Red Fellowship serve in the mercenary companies which come to Unther under Tempus' banners. That way, most of the military force can come from the far-richer and far-larger church of Tempus and the Red Fellowship can provide strategic assistance, which is how the two clergies usually cooperate.

quote:

They wouldn't drive the war far in any given direction, but perhaps they want to put on a good front of comradery and then let their allies skewer themselves. Perhaps they even do this by maintaining contact with those red knights who serve the Mulhorandi in secret, and thus setup both sides on occasion.

I view this as being very far from the personalities and codes of honour of typical Red Knight worshippers. After all, most people who gravitate toward the service of a god to so because they find a philosophical correspendance with the doctrine and mythology of the deity. And the Red Knight definitely attracts people with strong ideas about military conduct, chain of command, honour, allegiances and the value of one's given word.

Besides, any potential benefit from such treachery would probably be outweighed by the negative repercussions Realmswide if it became known than the Red Fellowship was prone to betraying the secrets and stratagems of their supposed allies, for purposes of their own. They would never be trusted as advisors again, which would go against their very raison d' etre.
Icelander Posted - 23 Jul 2013 : 00:55:29
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Bane

Actually Red Knight followers on Mulhorands side is not so far off. The Red Knight is stated as a faith in Mulhorand and they mostlikely have had a hand in the success of Mulhorand conquering Unther.

Kendera Steeldice and her Gold Swords are canon, not my invention. Clearly, the Red Knight has some interest in the Mulhorandi side of the struggle, even if that is on the behalf of foreign gods.

My explanation above is the most plausible, in my view, reason for the Red Knight to aid Anhur in a war will certainly see that deity expand his worshipper base considerably.
Lord Bane Posted - 22 Jul 2013 : 20:30:44
Actually Red Knight followers on Mulhorands side is not so far off. The Red Knight is stated as a faith in Mulhorand and they mostlikely have had a hand in the success of Mulhorand conquering Unther.
sleyvas Posted - 22 Jul 2013 : 19:11:22
quote:
Originally posted by Icelander

quote:

Bear this in mind, essentially the Mulhorandi war is for another Pantheon and principally being driven by that Pantheon's god of war. Many followers of the Red Knight might just see aiding the expansion of that pantheon's power (especially that of a war god that is not Tempus) as a wrong strategic move. As a result, while they may not like the Tiamatans... and may use them as fodder in their strategies... they may find aiding the side of Unther and Threskel as the better strategic move for their god's gaining of a foothold in the region.

This is Tempus' view, in my campaign. The more politically sophisticated Red Knight, on the other hand, takes a longer view that sees the Mulhorandi conquest of Unther as accelerating the emergence of the Mulhorandi onto a larger world stage and the integration of Faerunian and Mulhorandi worlds.

It is the view of the more far-sighted of her priests that once Mulhorand controls Unther, the isolationism that has kept the Mulhorandi pantheon seperate from the Faerunian one will eventually end. And when it does, the pantheons must inevitable merge. Not this generation, perhaps, but within the next century.

And the Red Knight believes that once that happens, Tempus will be triumphant over the foreign god in any clash over the portfolio of war, as his worshipper base dwarfs the Mulhorandi nation, let alone merely the Anhur worshippers there. And in that great battle of war gods, she will be Tempus' general.

Who knows, after the war, perhaps Anhur will accept a position under Tempus as a god of heroic champions, to complement her own status as the god of strategists and generals? And perhaps having fought on opposite sides in such a grand war might be just the sort of courtship gods of war ought to have...

quote:

Note, they may also seek to undermine the power of the Banites in the region as well... for instance, sending intelligence that maneuvers them into situations that they can resolve, but at great expense... seizing Banite supplies right after a major victory and using them for their own troops while making it politically inopportune for the Banites to complain (or framing the loss on the enemy by routing the enemy into the caravan's path and then coming in at the end to rescue what's left of the wagon drivers).

If and when Free Unther forces start to have success against the Mulhorandi, this sort of maneuevering for post-war position will hobble their war effort, naturally.

I imagine that Tiamatans, Banites and Dragon Cultists will be rather more serious offenders than Tempurans, if only because they have more experience of vicious political in-fighting. Not to mention all the former priests and nobles of Gilgeam's regime, the survivors of which are mostly past masters of self-preservation and advancement through treacherous acts hidden behind fulsome public support.

Please bear in mind, I'm kind of playing devil's advocate here. So, the idea you have that Tempus' worshippers will react one way and the red knight's followers will react a different way... its an interesting and believable viewpoint. However, while I see Tempus' clergy reacting the way you described, I don't see the Red Knight's followers reacting ONLY in the way you describe. Yes, they are an inherently lawful church, BUT they are strategists, and that sometimes implies not betting everything on one horse. So, they may have a directive that one group of the red knight's followers are to interject themselves amongst the Mulhorandi, to learn about their forces, how they work, where their supply trains are, etc.... Then, they stick another contingent of red knights working with the Untherites, ostensibly promoting the Faerunian pantheon against foreign pantheon encroachment.... but really their purpose is to weed out those Untherite supporters who will be a problem. They don't care if the Untherites are winning or losing, so long as they're seen to be putting up "a good fight".

Now, granted, size wise, this faction of red knight followers would be small. They wouldn't drive the war far in any given direction, but perhaps they want to put on a good front of comradery and then let their allies skewer themselves. Perhaps they even do this by maintaining contact with those red knights who serve the Mulhorandi in secret, and thus setup both sides on occasion.
Icelander Posted - 22 Jul 2013 : 13:12:01
quote:

Bear this in mind, essentially the Mulhorandi war is for another Pantheon and principally being driven by that Pantheon's god of war. Many followers of the Red Knight might just see aiding the expansion of that pantheon's power (especially that of a war god that is not Tempus) as a wrong strategic move. As a result, while they may not like the Tiamatans... and may use them as fodder in their strategies... they may find aiding the side of Unther and Threskel as the better strategic move for their god's gaining of a foothold in the region.

This is Tempus' view, in my campaign. The more politically sophisticated Red Knight, on the other hand, takes a longer view that sees the Mulhorandi conquest of Unther as accelerating the emergence of the Mulhorandi onto a larger world stage and the integration of Faerunian and Mulhorandi worlds.

It is the view of the more far-sighted of her priests that once Mulhorand controls Unther, the isolationism that has kept the Mulhorandi pantheon seperate from the Faerunian one will eventually end. And when it does, the pantheons must inevitable merge. Not this generation, perhaps, but within the next century.

And the Red Knight believes that once that happens, Tempus will be triumphant over the foreign god in any clash over the portfolio of war, as his worshipper base dwarfs the Mulhorandi nation, let alone merely the Anhur worshippers there. And in that great battle of war gods, she will be Tempus' general.

Who knows, after the war, perhaps Anhur will accept a position under Tempus as a god of heroic champions, to complement her own status as the god of strategists and generals? And perhaps having fought on opposite sides in such a grand war might be just the sort of courtship gods of war ought to have...

quote:

Note, they may also seek to undermine the power of the Banites in the region as well... for instance, sending intelligence that maneuvers them into situations that they can resolve, but at great expense... seizing Banite supplies right after a major victory and using them for their own troops while making it politically inopportune for the Banites to complain (or framing the loss on the enemy by routing the enemy into the caravan's path and then coming in at the end to rescue what's left of the wagon drivers).

If and when Free Unther forces start to have success against the Mulhorandi, this sort of maneuevering for post-war position will hobble their war effort, naturally.

I imagine that Tiamatans, Banites and Dragon Cultists will be rather more serious offenders than Tempurans, if only because they have more experience of vicious political in-fighting. Not to mention all the former priests and nobles of Gilgeam's regime, the survivors of which are mostly past masters of self-preservation and advancement through treacherous acts hidden behind fulsome public support.
Icelander Posted - 22 Jul 2013 : 13:04:30
quote:

Not really a Crimean War analogue but more the fact that somebody always has an interst in something that may be worth going to war over and usually that connects factions who may usually not be so prone to actions.

I mentioned the Crimean War because it provides a real-world example where most of the Western nations had a national interest in keeping a decaying empire propped up rather than see an imperial rival swallow it.

The Moonsea cities certainly all have such an interest in keeping Unther independent, to prevent any one power from having the potential to control trade between the acricultural powerhouse of the East and their seriously over-populated, over-militarised cities that depend on cheap grain from Thay for their survival. The same goes for the Pirate Isles.

While it's unlikely in the extreme that a resurgent Mulhorand could take the Thayan plateu in the foreseeable future, it is vaguely plausible that a Mulhorand which had successfully swallowed Unther could seize the Alaor and the Wizard Reach, thus effectively isolating Thay proper from access to the Inner Sea.

Certainly the Pharoah could impose trading restrictions on the tharchions of Thayan ports within a few years, if Mulhorand came out of the war with Unther unscathed and stronger than ever.

quote:

I do not consider ten of thousands of shipping troops to be dwarvable by sembian merchant houses, they are barely united and have their own interests and with that number you in return dwarf each sembian merchant on his/her own, but not all together. You may not have more than a few docked in the Vast but with that amount of naval power you are bound to raise the awareness of merchants across the Sea of Fallen Stars and some will see the numbers as a threat for their enterprise, especially the pirate component.

I agree that ten thousand men are not small change, but note that they do not have that many ships compared to their manpower contingent. A more reasonable crew complement for merchants would number only around 3,000 men.

The PCs' ships are seriously overmanned because most of them operate as men-of-war, not simple trading vessels. Even those vessels that are not fighting in the Alember Sea are heavily armed and carry larger crews than usual, sailing as they do close to the Pirate Isles and not being averse to supplementing the income of a trading run with the prize money for a captured pirate ship or two.

In addition, only some 30 of their ships are 'official' Purple Reign vessels whose existence is common knowledge around the Inner Sea. Many others are recent captures from the Mulhorandi, crewed by a polyglot lot of seamen and as yet untested in battle, and others are captured pirate vessels with 'reformed' pirates providing a lot of the crew. Then there are thirty vessels brought to their cause by a secret ally, Azla of Oreth.

As the naval power they have amassed in the Alember becomes common knowledge, I expect that their profile among financiers and statesmen around the Inner Sea will be raised quite a bit. And that not all the attention will be beneficient. In addition, the allegiance they have with pirates, even 'romantic' ones that claim to want to establish a legitimate nation on their island, may end up causing them a lot of problems diplomatically, legally and economically.

On the other hand, some of the PCs and their NPC allies are master diplomats, propagandists and negotiators. They may end up spinning things to their advantage, as having reduced the strength of the pirates considerably and established an enclave of lawful government in the Pirate Isles. Only time will tell.

quote:

You meantioned serious rivals in Westgate, did your players have any run ins with Fireknifes?

The Fire Knives have some connections to the group, but mostly unknown to the players. Some of their NPC allies have a familial relationship with the ruling families of the Fire Knives.

Rather more important on the surface has been their feud with a number of powerful merchants and nobles in Westgate, originally objecting to the PCs (as Cormyrean Freesails) defeating pirates in their (secret) employ, capturing their vessels and turning the pirates in to the authorities (though not in Westgate), which caused some embarrasment at trial.

Later on, some in Westgate were also put out by the trade route established by Purple Reign directly between Lyrabar and Reth, sailing over blue water and passing close to the Pirate Isles. This undercut the longer, but safer, route that Westgate merchants dominated, transporting goods from the Vilhon Reach to Cormyr and Sembia. It also upset Sembian merchants, of course, but most of those soon adapted to it and even started to profit from increased traffic.

The PCs, meanwhile, had to deal with the Night Masks and affiliated gangs in Sembia. Fortunately, at the beginning of the current year in the game, 1373 DR, the amoral yet personable chief dealmaker of the PCs managed a rapproachment with the Night Masks that will see both sides prosper (and the mercantile rivals of the PCs neutralised).
sleyvas Posted - 22 Jul 2013 : 02:52:21
quote:

quote:

I think your population numbers may be a bit off. Consider these facts, modern US, 315 million... US around 1900, 76 million.... US around 1860, 31 million (which admittedly, in 1860 we were still taming wild country... but so is Faerun). I am roughly comparing Thay to the US from the 1st edition box... and I'd say its maybe as big as Louisana, Mississippi, and Alabama combined. Now, Mississippi's population around 1900 was 1.5 million, and it too was a largely agricultural state at that time. If we multiply this by 3 we get 4.5 million. I can't see Thay having a 20 million person population given its size and the fact that the majority of its interior is dedicated to agriculture rather than housing. I'm more inclined to agree with the third edition almost 5 million number, with the rough dispersion as listed in Dreams of the red wizards. However, I will agree on the differences between editions being insane and I don't think the population distribution listed in 3rd edition even remotely makes sense.

<From Dreams of the Red Wizards>

Counting the slave population, there are about 1.5 million sentient people within the borders of Thay. This is an estimate, as the Zulkirs consider any such information potentially hazardous to the security of the country, and they refuse to take a census. Probably the best-counted members of the society are the slaves, as the slave owners have to keep some record of how many they have and how much they are producing, but there is no central repository for these records and individual slave owners are leery of letting anyone know the extent of their holdings.

Due to the centrally organized farming, where most is done on large slave farms, there is a higher proportion of population in the cities to the people on the farms than is common in the western realms where the farming is done mostly by small collections of free farmers or serfs of small landholders. About 300,000 people live in the cities, the other 1,200,000 in the wayside villages and slave farms. Of the city dwellers, about half are slaves, but in the country, the proportion of slaves to freemen is about seven to one.

<From 3rd edition campaign setting>

Thay
Population - 4, 924,800 (humans 62%, gnolls 10%, orcs 10%, dwarves 8%, goblins 5%, halflings 4%)

I find it interesting that in the 3rd edition campaign setting, in the one region NOTED for having a sizable centaur population.... centaurs aren't even listed.... but dwarves that aren't really listed as any of the major NPC's are. My personal viewpoint is to drop the dwarf and halfling listings altogether, make goblins 8%, (noting many slaves are probably goblins... and those that don't work become meals for the orcs and gnolls), centaurs 5%, and have a 5% other races as Thay is kind of known for not being shocked by odd races being there. I'd also note that undead aren't listed as a portion of the "population", and I'd say that of that 4 million there's probably a good 3 percent of them as undead.

I'd also note that the humans and human slaves probably dominate the cities, and the humanoids are probably 1/4 in the cities and 3/4 slugging away over slaves in the countryside.

Europe around 1300 reached it's peak at around 100 to 120 Million people. France alone had a population of roughly 12 million people. The combined population of Thay, Chessenta, Unther, and Mulhorand that I gave was around 51,696,000. Collectively, these nations cover roughly 727,200 square miles.

All of these nations have existed and have been settled for centuries. Thay in particular (which is where the bulk of that population comes from), benefits heavily from magical agriculture that could probably outstrip what we can achieve even with modern technology. (I mean, let's face it - they can control the weather.)

Of the 727,200 square miles of claimed territory - 440,000 square miles of it is wilderness - completely unsettled. That leaves only 287,200 square miles as settled land. Arguably this number is off because Thay's magical agriculture would allow them to get vastly better yields from their farms - thus giving Thay more wilderness than I portrayed.

In the nations of Mulhorand, Chessenta, and Unther 67% of their controlled territory is wilderness - more than half.

That's my major issue right there. It's not so much about population, it's the wilderness to settled land ratio. In nations that have been in existence for centuries, that canonically have many cities, and do robust trade... it's almost inconceivable that less than 33% of the territory is unsettled.

We can talk about monsters and the like, and I would argue that they're included in the numbers. However, they would be widely dispersed across the wilderness in small groups. It just wouldn't make sense for there to be a situation in which there are literally thousands upon thousands of orcs chilling out together in the wilderness. That large of a gathering of monsters would attract notice and instantly spark a war.

A "super large tribe" is likely 200 to 300 strong, and they would be aggressive and actively raiding the villages and towns of a nation. In most cases monsters would be encountered in small family bands of around 10 to 25 in number.

And every intelligent creature living in those nations would be part of those population numbers. Thus, if we assume a troll is roughly the equivalent of five humans, we'd subtract five from those living in the isolated areas of Unther - for example for every one troll we'd want to add to the region. As a result, if we have a family of five trolls living in the Methwood, we'd subtract 25 people from the isolated population living in Unther. Then on a separate list we'd add 5 trolls to the total of non-humans living in Unther.

For large tribes of orcs and the like - I'd use the village populations, and I would strive to keep any one tribe under 400 individuals. These large tribes would be far enough away from human settlements to avoid provoking an attack against them, and where they can have a semi-permanent settlement that focuses on basic agriculture, hunting, gathering, and herd animals (such as sheep and goats). They'd strive for some degree of self-sufficiency, and when their population ultimately grows beyond what they could handle - that's when they'd turn to raiding. The exception to this rule would be nomadic tribes that subsist entirely off banditry, and they would strive to be near human towns, villages, and trade roads.

Just on the part about Thayan magical aid comparing to US modern technology. Our ability to deliver water to crops from electrically powered wells local to the crops via sprinklers is something that can probably simulate the ability to control the weather (to a degree, remember the red wizards have control... but its not like they have Doppler radar to tell them where to drop the water). Even more importantly our understanding of and ability to create improved chemical fertilizers would in my view make modern agriculture equivalent if not superior to what Thay can do (because Thay's is dependent on an elite force of very powerful mages dedicating their time to weather control.... their power is amazing compared to other countries, but I'd bet its comparable to our agricultural practices right after the industrial revolution).
sleyvas Posted - 22 Jul 2013 : 02:31:23
quote:

Red Knight and Tempus in the war:
quote:

Actually, I see the red knights as more than willing to strategize on opposite sides of a battlefield. They often challenge each other in games of strategy and a battlefield is simply a bigger playing field.

That's exactly what I've ruled is the case in my campaign. On the other hand, the fact that the Mulhorandi are winning, that they have a very lawful, very organised society and that they are trying to build a lawful society in Unther, in addition to the privileged position that the Gold Swords and Kendera Steeldice enjoy in Mulhorand all combine to make it more likely that followers of the Red Knight will gravitate toward the Mulhorand.

<snip to just the part responding to>

Bear this in mind, essentially the Mulhorandi war is for another Pantheon and principally being driven by that Pantheon's god of war. Many followers of the Red Knight might just see aiding the expansion of that pantheon's power (especially that of a war god that is not Tempus) as a wrong strategic move. As a result, while they may not like the Tiamatans... and may use them as fodder in their strategies... they may find aiding the side of Unther and Threskel as the better strategic move for their god's gaining of a foothold in the region. Note, they may also seek to undermine the power of the Banites in the region as well... for instance, sending intelligence that maneuvers them into situations that they can resolve, but at great expense... seizing Banite supplies right after a major victory and using them for their own troops while making it politically inopportune for the Banites to complain (or framing the loss on the enemy by routing the enemy into the caravan's path and then coming in at the end to rescue what's left of the wagon drivers).
Lord Bane Posted - 21 Jul 2013 : 10:35:44
Not really a Crimean War analogue but more the fact that somebody always has an interst in something that may be worth going to war over and usually that connects factions who may usually not be so prone to actions.

I do not consider ten of thousands of shipping troops to be dwarvable by sembian merchant houses, they are barely united and have their own interests and with that number you in return dwarf each sembian merchant on his/her own, but not all together. You may not have more than a few docked in the Vast but with that amount of naval power you are bound to raise the awareness of merchants across the Sea of Fallen Stars and some will see the numbers as a threat for their enterprise, especially the pirate component.

You meantioned serious rivals in Westgate, did your players have any run ins with Fireknifes?

It´s your campagin and i´m just giving suggestions.
Icelander Posted - 20 Jul 2013 : 23:53:27
quote:

When i look at the build up and goals of your group Icelander i directly get two flashlights that may spice up the campaign for your group and adds dynamics that could spiral the Old Empire conflict into a greater Fearun spanning war.

A Crimean War analogue?

It sounds interesting, but in my opinion, most of the rest of Faerun is ignoring the war and those who realise the impact the outcome will have on them are mostly against a resurgent Mulhorandi Empire, meaning that they are more likely to aid Purple Reign than hinder it.

quote:

You state that your group has a large naval position which will collide with two powers that rely on it aswell, Thay and Sembia.

The shipping fleets controlled by Thay and Sembia dwarf the number of vessels controlled by Purple Reign.

quote:

I think we can agree that Thay is not united in any efforts so rivalling Zulkires could secretly try to sabotage the groups shipping, reducing their weight of impact in naval operations in the Alamber Sea and shifting the scales more towards Thay when it comes to naval trade.

Any Red Wizard or Thayan noble who is at all concerned about trade will probably realise that a new player of moderate size is much less damaging than having the Mulhorandi control all of Unther. That would allow the Mulhorandi far too much scope for dictating the terms of trade over the Alamber Sea.

As a consequence, most important factions in Thay are enthusiastic suporters of Purple Reign, at least as long as the war lasts and Mulhorand looks likely to win. If the PCs achieve signal victories over the Mulhorandi that reduce their odds of taking Messemprar to a very low order of probability, however, a lot of Thayans will reevaluate their relationship with them.

quote:

Sembia on the other hand, i do not see simply sitting idle while a merchant powerhouse like your group is in it´s neighbourhood in the Vast and i would expect sembian merchants to make use of your companies distraction and take steps to diminish it´s influence and weaken it´s capacities for their own gain.

Only around 20 ships from Purple Reign ever dock in Ravens Bluff and of those, only 12 are there regularly.

That means that Purple Reign is a comparatively small player in Vast shipping and barely noticable in Sembia. They worry far more about rivals in Ravens Bluff, like the Blackblades House, than Sembian rivals.

They do have mercantile rivals in Reth and serious ones in Westgate, but have managed to successfully deal with any conflicts so far.

quote:

Maybe even Chondath with it´s mercenary forces could see their company as competition for contracts in the south and make moves to weaken them.

Not Chondath as a nation, in my opinion. Lord Eles Wianar has no special stake in the running of individual mercenary companies and does not necessarily view it as a vital national interest for Chondath to preserve the power of these independent mercenaries. Even if it were not so, there is more demand for quality mercenaries than there are mercenaries to meet it.

The infantry and marines of Purple Reign, are, in fact, mostly a Chondanthan mercenary group. The soldiers are recruited from among established mercenaries in Reth and Chondath, as well as boys from mercenary families, and Purple Reign has large facilities in Reth where they are trained and housed. They are moving their training facilities to the Pirate Isle of Tan now, but they'll still have recruiting offices in Reth and expect to continue to get more than half of their recruits from there.

Purple Reign pays well for good soldiers, making service under their banners a sought-after career choice among military men in Chondath, and their recruiting officers in Reth are competent, popular and well-connected.

Individual mercenary companies might resent Purple Reign, of course.

quote:

Just some ideas which easily can set large parts of Fearun aflame.

There is a brewing war in the Vast in my campaign, due a unified realm of hobgoblins displacing the orcs in the mountains and having allied with Calaunt and Mulmaster. The hobgoblins are fighting Impiltur as well.

Around the River Lis, the Mulmastrans are rebuilding Ylraphon with covert help from the Zhents and this is viewed with alarm in Sembia and the Vast.

Zhentil Keep and the Zhentarim are enforcing their authority over the Moonsea with their fleets.

Tantras and Ravens Bluff are in negotiations to send a joint expedition to take Scarsdale, which is currently being ravaged by mercenaries in the employ of unknown powers. Sembia might be behind it and is certainly considering sending an expedition of its own to take Scarsdale's harbour.

There's at least one war in Chessenta already and a small war in northern Chondath.

And in the Endless Wastes, all the powers are fighting the remnants of Solon's undead horde, controlled by undead or monstrous lieutenants.

The nomads not affiliated with Yammunaihar are raiding the northern provinces of weak Shou Lung.

And then there is the war in Tethyr and Amn, against the humanoid and monstrous hordes there, as well as the war in the Swordcoast North.

Finally, Impiltur, Damara and the rest of the Bloodstone Lands are fighting Cult of the Dragon-inspired forces of humanoids.

Added to all this are the rampaging dragons of the Dracorage.
Lord Bane Posted - 20 Jul 2013 : 13:04:00
quote:

However, Kabarrath was indeed making a power play prior to the Time of Troubles.

"Imperceptor Kabarrath Telthaug styled himself Dread Imperceptor in the days before the Time of Troubles, asserting his own independence of the standard Banite hierarchy. It is not hard to understand why: He commands over 700 Banite priests of rank, another 1,000 lesser clergy members, and a well-equipped, harshly disciplined army of loyal troops armed with many items of minor magic, and well practiced in slaughter." - Faiths & Avatars, pg. 39

As I bolded and underlined, he broke away from the official hierarchy of Bane - located in Mulmaster. If we think of things in terms of the Catholic Church, the High Imperceptor would be the equivalent of the Pope. Kabarrath would have been one of the most powerful and influential Cardinals / Archbishops - literally a step below the High Imperceptor. In addition to having his self-granted title of Imperceptor, he was likely also granted an official title such as Imperceptor Kabarrath Telthaug, Dread Patriarch of the East.

What seems to have happened is that the Moonsea Banites fell into a civil war between the Orthodox Church and the Transformed Church. Kabarrath then likely gathered popular support from the faithful of the Shining South and Unapproachable East - and then declared not only his independence, but their independence as well. Effectively speaking, naming himself Pope - with the slight catch that Bane hadn't recognized him officially. They likely believed this was coming, but then of course, the Time of Troubles happened, and Bane's church pretty much collapsed as word of his death spread - with the exception of the Priests of the Cloak, who remained loyal even after his death.

I never denied that he was not making powerplay. Styling himself as the one to go to for banites in the old empires is a move for more power as he "seperates" himself from the rest of the hirarchy which as you stated and everyone should be aware of, was in a religious schism and close to civil war. But i still say, the title move was also part of tradition. Yes he wanted to be more than another Impeceptor in the churches hirarchy and yes he is one of the most powerfull servants of Bane in the realms, but before the ToT hit he was not in a position to make a grab for power directly, he was off the "radar" in the Old Empires while events in northern Faerun overshadowed his schemes. He has the ambition but in the end got unlucky that the Time of Troubles happened and that Bane went with the north after his return (we can blame the emphasis on northern Faerun in literature for this).

I wouldn´t mind seeing Karrabath Telthaug and Teldorn Darkhope gather with Fzoul Chembryl and scheme some plans for Bane to conquer all of Faerun, a Dread Triumvirate with Fzoul as annointed Chosen of Bane having the head seat.

When i look at the build up and goals of your group Icelander i directly get two flashlights that may spice up the campaign for your group and adds dynamics that could spiral the Old Empire conflict into a greater Fearun spanning war.

You state that your group has a large naval position which will collide with two powers that rely on it aswell, Thay and Sembia.
I think we can agree that Thay is not united in any efforts so rivalling Zulkires could secretly try to sabotage the groups shipping, reducing their weight of impact in naval operations in the Alamber Sea and shifting the scales more towards Thay when it comes to naval trade.
Sembia on the other hand, i do not see simply sitting idle while a merchant powerhouse like your group is in it´s neighbourhood in the Vast and i would expect sembian merchants to make use of your companies distraction and take steps to diminish it´s influence and weaken it´s capacities for their own gain.
Maybe even Chondath with it´s mercenary forces could see their company as competition for contracts in the south and make moves to weaken them.

Just some ideas which easily can set large parts of Fearun aflame.
Icelander Posted - 20 Jul 2013 : 04:28:04
Purple Reign Trading Group (i.e. the PCs) and their goals:
The PCs in my campaign have been playing since the real world year of 2004-2006 (have to admit, I can't figure out which, I'll have to look it up in our pre-computerised notes). Some of them are merchant princes, others are exiled nobility and yet others are warriors of renown. In D&D terms, they are around 13th level and there are around six PCs with some ten allies of similar level (that used to be PCs or are their close NPC allies). They also have a lot of other powerful allies gained in play.

In their early days, they were privateers and they still retain an affinity for the sea. They now command a massive multinational merchant house based in Ravens Bluff, but with huge recruiting, buying, storage and training bases in Lyrabar, Reth and the Pirate Isles of Tan and Oreth. The (reformed) pirate fleet of Azla the Pirate Queen belongs to them and Quincy Blackmantle, former pirate and former Rear Admiral of Ravens Bluff, commands more reformed pirates in their service. They also have the remains of the pirate fleet of Vurgrom the Mighthy, they hope, after having defeated him, kept him alive and enslaved him with magic to send back to bring his fleets to Unther.

They employ tens of thousand of people, with two thousand elite mercenaries already in Unther and around ten thousand privateers, ex-pirates and marine-trained mercenaries onboard their fleet of some hundred vessels in the Alamber Sea. Marius the Valiant commands their infantry in Unther and they have a strong allegiance to the Northern Wizards and most of the more sensible generals of Old Unther.

Their initial goals in Unther were war-profiteering (the callous, greedy PC and his allies) and relieving the suffering of the common people who were mere victims of the warfare caused by fanatical religous crusaders of all alignments (the heroic ones).

By now, however, there are several PCs who see a new future for Unther. The mercantile ones see a future where trade is free of the fetters imposed by Gilgeam and the eastern Inner Sea can finally take its proper place as the economic leader of Faerun. The benevolent, charitable PCs see a chance to make the lot of the common people in Unther better than it ever has been. They reject the forcible conversion of Untheri to 'bettter ways' by the Mulhorandi, since at least two powerful PCs are very individualistic and advocates of personal freedom, but they don't mind that the Mulhorandi should have an equal chance to convert Untheri to their beliefs, as long as they don't do it at the point of a sword.

Finally, one PC wants to unite Unther under his banner, as a charismatic and politically savvy warlord who was raised as a prince in Murghom, but is exquisitely educated and very cosmopolitan. He has gotten the other PCs to declare him the Viceroy of Purple Reign (the merchant house, mercenary company and privateer fleet owned by the PCs) in Unther and assumed titles such as the Protector of Free Unther and Defender of All Faiths. He has one powerful priest and noble Untheri heir PC aiding him, who used to be a priest of Gilgeam, but switched to Tiamat and is now looking for the highest bidder among the gods to take as his patron. And the 'evil' PC, who is mostly excessively pragmatic, has thrown his hat in the ring behind him, giving him full support of the Purple Reign in his quest.

So for reasons ranging from self-interested to benevolent, the PCs want to transform Unther into a 'democratic' society ruled by councils of the 'best citizens'. They have plans for rapid technological advance and extensive education of everyone who wants it, but they also plan to give land and peasants to a military elite that proves useful and loyal to the new regime. And they plan to gain mining concessions around the River of Metals, in the Riders to the Sky and the Smoking Mountains, not to mention becoming the leaders in trade in, through and around Unther.
Icelander Posted - 20 Jul 2013 : 01:04:35
Demographics of Faerun's Eastern Inner Sea:
quote:

All of these nations have existed and have been settled for centuries. Thay in particular (which is where the bulk of that population comes from), benefits heavily from magical agriculture that could probably outstrip what we can achieve even with modern technology. (I mean, let's face it - they can control the weather.)

Thay, on the other hand, has for the past three centuries, had the worst foreign policy and internal policy imaginable. They engage in near-genocidal wars against their neighbours, with their own troops suffering the vast majority of the casualties, and they also have constant internal warfare that is not even viewed as 'warfare', but simply as a fact of life. Red Wizard will fight Red Wizard, noble will fight noble and the slave troops as well as the mercenaries will die like flies, killing and starving slaves and the few free poor indiscriminately in the fighting.

Only for the past five years or so have they decided to focus on what they historically did well and take a short pause from tearing their own land apart. If this lasts even a generation, Thay will move from regional powerhouse to sole superpower on the Inner Sea.

But it's not there yet.

quote:

In the nations of Mulhorand, Chessenta, and Unther 67% of their controlled territory is wilderness - more than half.

That's my major issue right there. It's not so much about population, it's the wilderness to settled land ratio. In nations that have been in existence for centuries, that canonically have many cities, and do robust trade... it's almost inconceivable that less than 33% of the territory is unsettled.

You are looking at them after centuries of misrule, stagnation or internal warfare. Also, there is only a generation since the largest plague in recorded history killed most of their population, the Plague of Dragons, from 1317-1323 DR (1324 DR in Unther).

Mulhorand, meanwhile, is a very rich land that has for the past three centuries or so had negative population growth and negative economic growth. It stagnated nearly completely between the rebellion of Thay and the Time of Troubles.

Only when the Pharoah was no longer an immortal with no ability to adapt to new conditions and technology did they start to work again. Thus, they are economically incredibly backward, despite having access to quite advanced technology and theories.
Icelander Posted - 20 Jul 2013 : 00:51:29
Kabbarath Telthaug's goals in the war:
quote:

I agree 100%. Kabarrath NEEDS to control the River of Metals, at the very least. Ideally, he'd control Messemprar directly as well, if he could get away with it. However, controlling Messemprar isn't absolutely necessary so long as he can use pirates to force Messemprar to mostly trade with Mourktar instead.

Agreed. Mourktar would love to control the Methtir as a whole, but if that becomes impractical, they'll much prefer a reduced (or destroyed) Messemprar and a devastated Methtir with only those areas they retain having any wealth at all. An empty land of desperate bandits would be an adequate buffer zone, as long as Mulhorand was terribly weakened by the war as well.

quote:

In my Realms this is exactly what ultimately happened. Mourktar eventually conquered Thamor (who by that time was mostly a protectorate anyway) and Messemprar. The city ruled the lands from the Long Beach all the way to the River of Metals - on both sides, including some land along the Methmere.

If this happens, they'd do well to have sympathetic city-states in Sadamzar and Shussel, as well as a Messemprar that's been reduced to a shell.

One must also consider the goals of the Great Bone Wyrm. It's hard to see him accept anything less than control over the Methmere as an acceptable outcome of the war and he obviously has much more ambitious goals. He'd only allow a Mourktar-based state to exist as a vassal or protectorate. Even if he might lack the power to enforce vassalage once Tzchassar comes back and slaughters most of his draconic servants, anything less than the destruction of the Great Bone Wyrm will still leave him strong enough to claim the River of Metals and the northern Methmere, unless Kabbarath Telthaug can convince him that with Mourktar holding it, it is securely within Alasklerbanbastos' sphere of influence.

quote:

Ultimately, Mourktar also raised an army and conquered the rest of Threskel as well - thus adding Mordulkin and the lands around the Jade River to the list of controlled territory.

Mourktar became the capital of a strong, independent and unified nation of Threskel - that pretty much controlled all trade moving in and out of the Alamber Sea region.

Why bother conquering the rest of Threskel? It's poor land and much more difficult to take than other, better, land, given that it's claimed by a Dragon King ruling dozens of lesser dragons.

If Kabbarath did this as a vassal of the Great Bone Wyrm, that is much more sensible. In that case, I can absolutely see the Dark Templars of Mourktar being used to transform Mordulkin from a tribute-paying protectorate into a directly ruled vassal state.

Of course, that's assuming that Tzchassar was not prepared to go to all out war for Mordulkin, which in my opinion, he would be. Alasklerbanbastos can exact tribute for it, but any attempt to take and garrison it with Mourktari troops would bring Tzchassar and Chessenta troops in response. It's too good a harbourage for pirates against Chessentan ships to be allowed to fall into enemy hands completely.

quote:

However, to survive post-war Kabarrath must secure free and unfettered access to the River of Metals at an absolute minimum. There appears to be enough gold in the region to keep Mourktar wealthy, and allow them to continue trade.

While true, note that the dragons under Alasklerbanbastos claim the River of Metals and the gold there. It would be difficult to get them to give permission to mine it effectively.

quote:

Without foreign interest in the wars, and no access to the River of Metals and the Riders of the Sky Mountains... Mourktar's economy begins to collapse into a depression, which in turn means famine, and ultimately revolt against his rule.

Absolutely.

Which is why Kabbarath Telthaug needs diplomatic skill far more than he needs to go on the offensive. He has to keep the Banite-faction of the Cult of the Dragon from coming to blows with the Undying Queen-dominated faction of the Cult. And prevent the Cultists within his own ranks from straying too far into heresy and antagonising the Orthodox Banites of the Zhentarim. And keep all of the above on friendly enough terms with the Orthodox Tiamatans of Shudu-Ab to keep fighting the war.

Not to mention the rest of the factions in Free Unther, the Northern Wizards, the former Gilgeamites and nobility, the generals and commanders of the armies, etc. These are just the Banite and draconic ones, which fall squarely within his purview, seeing as he's a vassal of Alasklerbanbastos as the Regent of Mourktar and subordinate to Fzoul Chembryl as an Imperceptor of Bane.
Aldrick Posted - 20 Jul 2013 : 00:50:21
quote:

I think your population numbers may be a bit off. Consider these facts, modern US, 315 million... US around 1900, 76 million.... US around 1860, 31 million (which admittedly, in 1860 we were still taming wild country... but so is Faerun). I am roughly comparing Thay to the US from the 1st edition box... and I'd say its maybe as big as Louisana, Mississippi, and Alabama combined. Now, Mississippi's population around 1900 was 1.5 million, and it too was a largely agricultural state at that time. If we multiply this by 3 we get 4.5 million. I can't see Thay having a 20 million person population given its size and the fact that the majority of its interior is dedicated to agriculture rather than housing. I'm more inclined to agree with the third edition almost 5 million number, with the rough dispersion as listed in Dreams of the red wizards. However, I will agree on the differences between editions being insane and I don't think the population distribution listed in 3rd edition even remotely makes sense.

Counting the slave population, there are about 1.5 million sentient people within the borders of Thay. This is an estimate, as the Zulkirs consider any such information potentially hazardous to the security of the country, and they refuse to take a census. Probably the best-counted members of the society are the slaves, as the slave owners have to keep some record of how many they have and how much they are producing, but there is no central repository for these records and individual slave owners are leery of letting anyone know the extent of their holdings.

Due to the centrally organized farming, where most is done on large slave farms, there is a higher proportion of population in the cities to the people on the farms than is common in the western realms where the farming is done mostly by small collections of free farmers or serfs of small landholders. About 300,000 people live in the cities, the other 1,200,000 in the wayside villages and slave farms. Of the city dwellers, about half are slaves, but in the country, the proportion of slaves to freemen is about seven to one.

Thay
Population - 4, 924,800 (humans 62%, gnolls 10%, orcs 10%, dwarves 8%, goblins 5%, halflings 4%)

I find it interesting that in the 3rd edition campaign setting, in the one region NOTED for having a sizable centaur population.... centaurs aren't even listed.... but dwarves that aren't really listed as any of the major NPC's are. My personal viewpoint is to drop the dwarf and halfling listings altogether, make goblins 8%, (noting many slaves are probably goblins... and those that don't work become meals for the orcs and gnolls), centaurs 5%, and have a 5% other races as Thay is kind of known for not being shocked by odd races being there. I'd also note that undead aren't listed as a portion of the "population", and I'd say that of that 4 million there's probably a good 3 percent of them as undead.

I'd also note that the humans and human slaves probably dominate the cities, and the humanoids are probably 1/4 in the cities and 3/4 slugging away over slaves in the countryside.

Europe around 1300 reached it's peak at around 100 to 120 Million people. France alone had a population of roughly 12 million people. The combined population of Thay, Chessenta, Unther, and Mulhorand that I gave was around 51,696,000. Collectively, these nations cover roughly 727,200 square miles.

Of the 727,200 square miles of claimed territory - 440,000 square miles of it is wilderness - completely unsettled. That leaves only 287,200 square miles as settled land. Arguably this number is off because Thay's magical agriculture would allow them to get vastly better yields from their farms - thus giving Thay more wilderness than I portrayed.

We can talk about monsters and the like, and I would argue that they're included in the numbers. However, they would be widely dispersed across the wilderness in small groups. It just wouldn't make sense for there to be a situation in which there are literally thousands upon thousands of orcs chilling out together in the wilderness. That large of a gathering of monsters would attract notice and instantly spark a war.

A "super large tribe" is likely 200 to 300 strong, and they would be aggressive and actively raiding the villages and towns of a nation. In most cases monsters would be encountered in small family bands of around 10 to 25 in number.

And every intelligent creature living in those nations would be part of those population numbers. Thus, if we assume a troll is roughly the equivalent of five humans, we'd subtract five from those living in the isolated areas of Unther - for example for every one troll we'd want to add to the region. As a result, if we have a family of five trolls living in the Methwood, we'd subtract 25 people from the isolated population living in Unther. Then on a separate list we'd add 5 trolls to the total of non-humans living in Unther.

For large tribes of orcs and the like - I'd use the village populations, and I would strive to keep any one tribe under 400 individuals. These large tribes would be far enough away from human settlements to avoid provoking an attack against them, and where they can have a semi-permanent settlement that focuses on basic agriculture, hunting, gathering, and herd animals (such as sheep and goats). They'd strive for some degree of self-sufficiency, and when their population ultimately grows beyond what they could handle - that's when they'd turn to raiding. The exception to this rule would be nomadic tribes that subsist entirely off banditry, and they would strive to be near human towns, villages, and trade roads.
Icelander Posted - 20 Jul 2013 : 00:21:24
Logistics for Free Unther and effects on strategy:
quote:

hug the Riders to the Sky Mountains side of the Methmere. Towns and villages will be all along the river, and Mourktar can have mercenaries and merchants prepared to pick up the goods at strategic locations (especially where the Methmere becomes the River of Metals). From there they can carry it the couple days journey or so overland to Mourktar, sell it directly to the Northern Alliance Army, or ship it the rest of the way down the River of Metals to Messemprar.

This, however, is done by all the factions in northern Unther. Goods bought in Chessenta are shipped into the Methmere and down the River of Metals. The Mulhorandi try to stop it, but cannot invade Chessenta to do so. It is, in fact, for that reason that it is so important for them to take Sadamzar. That way, they can finally stop traffic in the Methmere.

If the mercenaries in the service of Mourktar sell their goods to traders in Hardcastle or even organise their own caravans going west to the Vilhon Reach and Lake of Steam, for example, the temple can easily pay for Chessentan goods out of the proceeds. Bane's church has credit, especially if they are making good money in Chondath and and elsehwere. Wealth is much more portable than food, which is the primary good necessary for warfare at all tech levels (until fuel becomes more important).

quote:

I'd argue that the Templars of the Cloak and the Zhent Banites from Messemprar have ceased control of a small town with a port along the River of Metals. Goods will flow down river to them there, and mercenaries will flow back up river.

While they are welcome to set up trade posts and even barracks in towns defended by the Free Untheri forces, actually seizing control of any territory so vital to the cause of Free Unther would be a slight too large to ignore for many of the Untheri nobles and generals commanding the remnants of the armed forces of Old Unther, not to mention the Northern Wizards.

quote:

This is essential to the success of the Northern Alliance. Without the ability to travel along the Winding River they have no ability to go around behind the Mulhorandi Army. Any large fleet of ships sailing south of Messemprar would be targets for the Mulhorandi Navy.

The Northern Allegiance currently has trouble sending anyone or anything behind the Mulhorandi, yes. Of course they have many allies that operate there, but they cannot supply those allies directly, which means that they are forced to operate as partisans and obtain their supplies from the Mulhorandi.

quote:

In short, Mourktar can get away with sending a few hundred mercenaries up the river every few days, so long as they aren't trying to move thousands of them. This allows them to do exactly as I suggested they do in the conquered regions of Southern Unther.

But they can't send anyone further than the Methmere, unless they walk.

I'd argue that they still sent the Renegades, at least, and probably more groups of mercenaries, having them march from Chessenta, Chondath and the Shining Lands over the Shaar. But this was neither easy nor cheap for them and they didn't arrive until the mid-point to end of 1372 DR (being sent early in the year, after initial successes by the Mulhorandi during 1371 DR).

quote:

Also, keep in mind that the overwhelming bulk of the Mulhorandi Army at the moment is between Messemprar and Shussel. The rest of it is likely located along the coast. They've likely left enough of their army in Unthalass to hold the city, but not to defend the entire region.

This is true and suggested the currrent strategy of the PCs.

quote:

The goal, of course, is to force the Mulhorandi to divide it's army. As the Mulhorandi force begins to break up, that allows the army of the Northern Alliance to go on the offensive. They could then hopefully start beating back Mulhorand's main force.

Agreed. Though the PCs have another plan to force Mulhorand to abandon the Methtir.

quote:

Keep in mind that one of the reasons Mourktar wants pillaged goods and tribute to travel back north is so that the Northern Alliance can keep itself equipped and prevent starvation. If those goods are flowing in the opposite direction, the Northern Alliance's chances of defeating Mulhorand would grow smaller and smaller by the day.

Which is why the Methmere cannot be allowed to fall into Mulhorandi hands, which it will do if they take Sadamzar, the only large harbour on it. At the end of the campaign season of 1372 DR, it looked very much like the Mulhorandi would open the campaign season of 1373 DR by doing just that, because the Mulhorandi had made incredible gains and were positioned much better for the winter than anyone could have guessed.

So Kabbarath Telthaug recalled the Crow Banners from raiding the Mulhorandi in the south and started diplomatic preparations for providing help to the defence of that town. Which is why the Cult of the Dragon under the Great Bone Wyrm are openly aiding the Tiamatans of the Northern Allegiance in marching to the relief of Sadamzar and why many allies of Kabbarath have joined them.

He has still not committed his templars to open warfare with Mulhorand and remains leery of doing so (what if Mulhorand does win?), but he's pulled out pretty much all the stops otherwise.
Icelander Posted - 20 Jul 2013 : 00:03:36
Winding River and transport:
quote:

It's true that they lack coastal ports, because that's where the overwhelming bulk of the Mulhorandi forces will be located.

However, they do not need to use the coastal ports. They can sail down the Winding River and hug the Riders to the Sky Mountains side of the Methmere.

Canonically, the Winding River is not navigable and certainly not suitable for transport of goods in any bulk. Traversing it at all would be a heroic feat suitable for much boasting and it is utterly unusable for cargo transport.

You can change it in your games, but the impossibility of using it to link the Northern Allegiance with the southern Grey Ghosts and other rebels is a vital part of the strategic situation in canon and one of the reasons why Mulhorand is expected to win at all despite the Great Bone Wyrm, the Church of Bane, Zhentarim and Thay all providing a lot of help to Free Unther (canonically, Mulhorand finally takes Messemprar in 1379 DR).
Icelander Posted - 19 Jul 2013 : 23:57:08
Unther, pre- and post-fall:
quote:

I can largely see what you outlined happening, although I imagine it being much more fractured than that. In my mind, after the fall of Gilgeam, there were wide spread riots throughout all of Unther. Certainly, groups like the cult of Tiamat played a part, but mostly I got the impression it was just average everyday people. They loathed the oppressive paranoid tyrant Gilgeam, and with him gone, and his clergy weakened as a result - they were rising up to overthrow them and everyone associated with the Old Regime.

Absolutely. But once they've done that, they didn't have anything to replace them with and that's when the nobles, ex-priests, generals and civil servants were able to move in to reassert control. After all, they were the only ones with trained armies, experience of goverment and, often, the only ones with any education.

The angry common people didn't have any way to keep a complex society like Old Unther running. Nor did they have any way to protect themselves from the remnants of Assuran's Chessentan invaders during the Time of Troubles or any of the bandits and warlords that wanted to profit from the fractured situation.

So in the years between 1358-1361 DR, I imagine the remaining loyalists slowly asserting control over larger and larger areas, starting with Unthalass. From 1361-1371 DR, they were the effective government of Unther, though they were never able to eradicate Tiamatans, the Grey Ghosts or any of the other smaller factions that had holdings far from Unthalass and even within the city, there were underground factions that they couldn't act against without blowing up their fragile concord. So they were a very weak government, with much of Unther being effectively under the control of local warlords who may have given lip service to the capital or even been in open opposition.

In the south of Unther, the Gray Ghosts largely exacted tribute where they pleased and directly ruled more-or-less the territory within a few days' ride of the Uthangol Mountains. The territory around the rivers was still held by nobles more-or-less loyal to Unthalass, but as for the wilderness around them, that was Gray Ghost or Tiamatan territory, with other groups also moving in to set up shop (the Cult of the Dragon, Banite priests from Mourktar, etc.).

And the whole Methtir, i.e. northern Unther, was never under this coalition government at all. Instead, Messemprar, Shussel and Sadamzar were all independent city-states, some ruled by nobles from the region and Messemprar ruled by a fragile allegiance of rebel factions. Much of the Methtir countryside was torn between warlords from the Chessentan army that fragmented after Assuran's defeat and local warlords.

quote:

This is precisely why Mourktar was no doubt profiting from the chaos in Unther not long after the rebellions. Many members of the Old Regime - particularly the nobility and priests - could have easily found a friend in Kabarrath. Former priests of Gilgeam, who would be without divine powers, would no doubt find Bane a welcoming and a familiar deity to serve. The nobility would want some place to keep their families safe - no one wants to see their children massacred in the streets by rebels, and they need a secure place to store their wealth which in turn will help pay for mercenaries... Mourktar offers them all of that.

Agreed.

Note, however, for those former Untheri nobles who just want to make it out of there with their families and wealth as intact as possible have no reason to stop in Mourktar. In my campaign, those who don't have any interest in resisting the Mulhorandi and carving out their peace of Unther have mostly fled further away from the war than Threskel. Depending on their foreign contacts, level of wealth, avenues of escape and individual preference, this means Thay, Wizard Reach, Chessenta and occasionally even the Vilhon Reach (nice climate and good place to be rich and cultured) or yet further away (some turned up in the Vast in my campaign).

quote:

However, the problem still exists in that I don't see a single power group in the region that can seize and hold Unther successfully.

Ah. You see, that's where the PCs come in.

I'll explain about their position in a seperate post, but suffice it to say that they are a multinational merchant house, mercenary company and privateer fleet with large bases in the Vast, Pirate Isles, Reth and Messemprar, as well as smaller trading posts all over the place. They command more than two thousand mercenaries already in Unther and over ten thousand sailors and marines in more than a hundred ships, many of which are already in the Alamber Sea.

And while their officical goals are merely to fulfil a series of military and civilian contracts on the behalf of the 'legitimate' government of Free Unther, i.e. the Northern Wizard dominated shibutuu (council) that controls Messemprar, they actually have far-reaching territorial, mercantile and political goals in Unther.

quote:

It could be argued that the members of the Old Regime could be propped up with enough international support. However, they'd still face internal chaos, turmoil, and basically preside over what could only be defined as a 'failed state'.

The issue is that everyone on the outside would have a different opinion on what Unther should look like, and those within Unther have very large differences of opinion on the same issue. There is no reason we shouldn't see non-nobles such as wealthy merchants of Unther also fighting for their piece of the pie, as well as commoners who resent the Old Regime who want to form democratic councils... and this doesn't even include foreign mercenaries who'd want to show up to play and carve out something for themselves from the corpse of Old Unther.

Of course. No one said that this will be easy for the PCs, some of those foreign mercenaries aiming to carve something out of the corpse of Old Unther.

quote:

And if Mourktar is used as I suggested, one of the most powerful players in the region would be actively pushing (behind the scenes, of course) for these types of rivalries to develop.

Only after the war, though. If hostilities break out now, it could cause the Free Unther side of the war to implode into internecine warfare and allow Mulhorand to win the war in less than a year and without having their armies appreciably weakened. Which would be disastrous for Mourktar.

quote:

There is simply no way for Mourktar to conquer and hold Old Unther, and I'm giving Kabarrath the benefit of the doubt that he sees such a folly. For centuries Mourktar has lived in the shadow of Old Unther, and it simply would not be in their best interest to have a powerful unified Unther to their south.

Well, such an Unther would be just dandy if it were a theocracy of Bane, controlled by Kabbarath.

Or, as Alasklerbanbastos clearly prefers, a tyranny ruled by the Dragon King of Old Unther. Though he wouldn't shy at using Banites to do it, since he's always had a soft spot for them.

quote:

What makes sense for Mourktar is to have a somewhat stable region that is heavily divided against itself, that they can form trade deals with to increase their power, wealth, and influence. The somewhat stable region just needs enough power to be worth trading with as well as to be able to unite against further conquest attempts by Mulhorand. ...but in the end, the days of a unified Unther would preferably be (and very likely are) over.

It makes sense to think of the future of Unther in terms of the Methtir, which is the north from Red Haven to Messemprar, the Mesenankh or the extended Greenfields, which is the fertile central area around Unthalass and the Shaaran borderlands of the south, which may be seperated into the eastern reaches of the Chondalwood, the Uthangol Mountain areas and the Azulduth area.

The Methmere borderlands, the Black Ash plains borderlands and the River of Metals/Threskeli borderlands might then belong to their respective parts, be annexed to neighbouring polities or be independent (or not policed at all, which is equivalent).

Mourktar needs the River of Metals/Threskeli borderlands. They want the Methmere borderlands, but don't need more than a slice. The same goes for the Methtir area.

quote:

Any attempt to unite Unther once again would likely take multiple generations to achieve.

In theory, that's the most likely timeframe.

On the other hand, Gilgeam's mismanagment and the two decades of civil war and warfare has been so successful in making the common people desperate for any alternative than what they have that the situation there can be likened to Russia in the the 1910s.

A sufficiently charismatic leader, with enough outside help backing him up, might make something entirely new within a single generation. Whether that is a good or bad thing depends on which leader and what outside force backing him up we are talking about.
Aldrick Posted - 19 Jul 2013 : 23:15:09
quote:

Excellent analysis and I agree fully.

I quibble only in that there is no realistic way to transport the loot from southern Unther to Mourktar for it to be sold there. Not only is it much too far, but it would have to go through Mulhorandi controlled areas, Mulhorandi controlled seas, the lines of battle and natural obstacles.

No, I think it's much more plausible that powerful priests of the Cloak set up a base either among the Gray Ghosts, in Hardcastle or perhaps built a temple of their own in the Uthangol Mountains. From there, they'd ship goods overland by caravan to the Shining Lands and through Hardcastle to Chondath and the Vilhon Reach.

Inefficient, yes, like all overland trade, but they lack any access to ports there.

It's true that they lack coastal ports, because that's where the overwhelming bulk of the Mulhorandi forces will be located.

However, they do not need to use the coastal ports. They can sail down the Winding River and hug the Riders to the Sky Mountains side of the Methmere. Towns and villages will be all along the river, and Mourktar can have mercenaries and merchants prepared to pick up the goods at strategic locations (especially where the Methmere becomes the River of Metals). From there they can carry it the couple days journey or so overland to Mourktar, sell it directly to the Northern Alliance Army, or ship it the rest of the way down the River of Metals to Messemprar.

Where these things eventually end up would be based on what comes down the river, and where it's needed most. In the end, though, the wealth is going to end up in Mourktar.

I'd argue that the Templars of the Cloak and the Zhent Banites from Messemprar have ceased control of a small town with a port along the River of Metals. Goods will flow down river to them there, and mercenaries will flow back up river.

This is essential to the success of the Northern Alliance. Without the ability to travel along the Winding River they have no ability to go around behind the Mulhorandi Army. Any large fleet of ships sailing south of Messemprar would be targets for the Mulhorandi Navy.

The bulk of the Northern Alliance obviously cannot travel up and along the Winding River, without drawing the full attention of the Mulhorandi Army. However...

The Winding River forms the border between Chessenta and Old Unther. If the Mulhorandi Army starts appearing there in force, it would incite massive panic throughout Chessenta - it would look like they were preparing to cross and invade. Pretty much every Chessentan city would be forced to send troops to attack the Mulhorandi Army and force them back.

In short, Mourktar can get away with sending a few hundred mercenaries up the river every few days, so long as they aren't trying to move thousands of them. This allows them to do exactly as I suggested they do in the conquered regions of Southern Unther.

Also, keep in mind that the overwhelming bulk of the Mulhorandi Army at the moment is between Messemprar and Shussel. The rest of it is likely located along the coast. They've likely left enough of their army in Unthalass to hold the city, but not to defend the entire region.

The goal, of course, is to force the Mulhorandi to divide it's army. As the Mulhorandi force begins to break up, that allows the army of the Northern Alliance to go on the offensive. They could then hopefully start beating back Mulhorand's main force.

Keep in mind that one of the reasons Mourktar wants pillaged goods and tribute to travel back north is so that the Northern Alliance can keep itself equipped and prevent starvation. If those goods are flowing in the opposite direction, the Northern Alliance's chances of defeating Mulhorand would grow smaller and smaller by the day.
Icelander Posted - 19 Jul 2013 : 22:24:06
Red Knight and Tempus in the war:
quote:

Actually, I see the red knights as more than willing to strategize on opposite sides of a battlefield. They often challenge each other in games of strategy and a battlefield is simply a bigger playing field.

That's exactly what I've ruled is the case in my campaign. On the other hand, the fact that the Mulhorandi are winning, that they have a very lawful, very organised society and that they are trying to build a lawful society in Unther, in addition to the privileged position that the Gold Swords and Kendera Steeldice enjoy in Mulhorand all combine to make it more likely that followers of the Red Knight will gravitate toward the Mulhorand.

The PCs have an explicit policy of religious tolerance and neutrality, but in practice, they are trying to reach out to priests and believers whose deities have a lot to win in Unther. They are building an Academy in Messemprar where secular and religious teachers from any creed may compete for their adherants on an egalitarian basis, with coercion and intimidation of potential worshippers forbidden.

They have a lot of priests of Waukeen in their forces and also a fair portion of Lathanderites, Tempurans and Tymorans. There are also significant minorities of Valkurites, Selunites, Gondites, Assurans and Maskarran. In addition, they are firmly allied with the Northern Wizards, which means Mystran and Ishtar (Isis) support, and have very friendly relations with Deneir's High Librarians in the Vast.

The PCs are encouraging all sorts of educated people, including priests, to move to Messemprar and teach at their Academy. They are especially trying to reach the clergy of Oghma, Deneir, Waukeen, Gond, Mystra, Azuth, Valkur and the Red Knight, with good success at least for several among those.

However...

quote:

That being said, another option would be clerics of Tempus from Chessenta who would challenge the red knight followers (granted, both religions are friendly, but both would see the wisdom of honing warfare using "other people's forces" as the playing pieces).

Here's a god of warfare who sees Unther embroiled in war after war, with everyone and his divine brother claiming to represent armed might of one faction after another. Assuran, Anhur, Bane, Gilgeam, Horus-Re, Ramman, The Red Knight and Tiamat all make some claim on being associated with war, generalship and command of armies in Unther and Tempus does not like it.

He is the Lord of Battles and no one, not even a favoured daughter, will be allowed to take the host of warlike worshippers that rightfully belong to Temups once Unther fully becomes a part of the Faerunian sphere of divine influence.

So I imagine that devout mercenaries, adventurous clergy and driven divine champions of Tempus are all eager to take part in the war and carve out the Foehammer's greater glory on the vast canvas of the war.

Given that they would not want to fight alone, though, they'll have to ally with some faction. They don't want the Mulhorandi to win, obviously, so that's out, but neither to they want any of the three Banite-influenced factions, i.e. Alasklerbanbastos' faction of the Cult of the Dragon, the Black Lord's Cloak and Mourktar forces or the Zhentarim, to gain added influence in Unther or be able to claim any portfolio close to war for Bane.

In addition, while Tempus-worshippers have previously fought aside Tiamatans in the region, I think that Tiamat's position as the Nemesis of Gilgeam and Queen of Dragons is a dangerous combination, added to which she has orders of holy warriors and many veteran combatants serving her, and she must not be allowed too much martial glory for her church. So she's be a less desirable ally for savvy Tempurans than a god which has no interest in challenging Tempus for power over warriors in Unther.

I'm thinking that the Northern Wizards and those generals who have acknowledged their authority are an attractive ally for clerics, holy warriors and divinely-inspired mercenaries of Tempus. In the south, of course, the Gray Ghosts receive plenty of help from Tempurans, but it is becoming obvious that if there is to be a Free Unther again, it will be led from the North.

Does anyone disagree? Or see a more suitable ally?
sleyvas Posted - 19 Jul 2013 : 22:06:43
quote:

I actually planned to make a post about how trade and economics likely work in the Realms, so I want to eventually address everything in your response in future posts.

However, I want to first address one of the main points about population. I would point out that the population numbers that I've given are MUCH higher than stated in the 3E FRCS.

For example, Unther has a population of 4,265,840 according to the 3E FRCS. I've given Unther a population of 12,960,000.

Mulhorand has a population of 5,339,520 in canon, and I've given them a population of 11,664,000.

Chessenta has a population of 3,386,880 in canon, and I've given them a population of 6,912,000.

Thay has a population of 4,924,800 in canon, and I've given them a population of 20,160,000.

Imagine that - Thay, despite it's intense use of magical agriculture - has a population nearly equal to war torn and famine stricken Unther, and a smaller population than Chessenta!

Of course, as I pointed out - the population numbers shifted dramatically between editions without any explanation. It is all based on the D&D formulas being used.

I'm going to write more about magical agriculture later, but if we assume the nations are roughly the size I outlined based on the 3E Map, and we took the population numbers from the 3E FRCS into account - then there would be massive amounts of wilderness in those nations. Keep in mind that in my population estimates I'm assuming that only roughly 33% of the nations are settled. The other 67% is wilderness. If we go by 3E population estimates, and assume the measurements are correct - then we're looking at only roughly 10% to 15% of the entire nation as settled. This wouldn't make much sense - arguably, my population estimates are on the lower side of things, and for Unther and Mulhorand I should have gone even higher with population density.

The alternative to fix that is to shrink the size of the countries (meaning the scale of the 3E map is wrong). However, that would make the countries seem unnaturally small. Keep in mind that Unther is (as I measured it based on the 3E Map scale), roughly the size of modern day France. Mulhorand is roughly the size of modern day Spain.

...and arguably speaking, I think the scale of the 3E map is already probably too small. So shrinking it further is something I'd personally avoid. So, we basically have a situation where - if we go by canon numbers - there is an insane amount of wilderness, or alternatively, the population numbers I've given are more realistic.

Once again, I'd point out that the population numbers change arbitrarily with each edition, based on whatever formula they are using - in most cases they shrank even more when 4E came out. (In a few cases - cut by almost half!)

Thay

Aldrick Posted - 19 Jul 2013 : 21:20:35
quote:

Just wanted to say, on this topic, I agree as to the political/religious idea you have for Banites spreading into Thay. I'm betting that there was some "infighting" between Bezantur and Mourktar over which temple should control things, with Mourktar probably pointing out repeatedly that Bezantur is known as "the City of a Thousand Temples" and therefore they haven't cemented control as proper tyrants.... and Bezantur pointing out that Mourktar controls a backwater area. However, it probably was a common practice for young Banites to "serve" and train in Mourktar's temple for a certain period of time and this practice probably helped cement their control.

That's exactly how I view it as well. I see Mourktar's influence waxing and waning with time - based on the strength of their leader, and the strength of the high priest in Bezantur. Ultimately, in the end, the Priests of the Cloak got a really strong leader in Kabarrath, and he was able to unite them all under his rule prior to the Time of Troubles... which was unfortunately not all that useful due to the fact Bane died and the entire faith began to disintegrate.

And of course, Mourktar remains the center of Bane's faith in the region, because the Temple of Bane in Bezantur has been lost to worshipers of Cyric. This makes the Banites of Thay even more reliant on the outside stabilizing influence of the Temple of the Cloak in Mourktar. This is true for most other Banites of the region as well, considering the Priests of the Cloak never had any of the divisions experienced by Banites elsewhere.

In short, the Priests of the Cloak are a very, very, very stable branch of the Cult of Bane that has successfully weathered pretty much every storm that has blown over the faith since Kabarrath has become it's leader. They avoided the divisions experienced in the Moonsea between the Orthodox and Transformed Church, and their faith in the Black Hand didn't waver - even as others proclaimed Bane dead and converted to Cyric or Xvim. They remained true to Bane throughout everything.
sleyvas Posted - 19 Jul 2013 : 21:12:22
quote:
[br
quote:

When it comes to Thay, I think we are in a bit of a disagreement. Primarily because, as you pointed out previously, Thay lacks a unified foreign policy. It's my belief that the Temple of the Black Lord's Cloak is the main central temple for the entire region, and that ultimately the Banites in Thay answer to him.

I disagree that they answer to him. Officially, they answer to Fzoul Chembryl now, just as Kabbarath Telthaug does. Even before Fzoul, I don't see them ever having been very effectively subservient to the Black Lord's Cloak, as the Banite temple in Bezantur is the regional power in Thay and it's hard for Mourktar to enforce any authority over Thayan priests, seeing as the Red Wizards would block any military means of doing so.

But I certainly think they are allied with him and individual high priests probably admire him and seek to emulate him.

And the Black Lord's Cloak certainly commands most of the Banite temples in the east of Faerun.

Hopefully I snipped this so that the quoting shows up right. I don't see it as "Kabbarrath orders the Banite Clergy around". However, just as a for instance, if the Banite Clergy that were formerly in Bezantur were sent a missive to start putting a portion of their "take" towards creating chain mail armor and possibly obtaining slaves for a new militant arm of Bane and to ship that chain mail armor and the slaves to Mourktar, they'd probably do it (now, they may raid other people rather than raise the money... after all, they're Banites). Mourktar may also request that all young Banites perform a holy pilgrimage and be pressed into service to protect the Black Lord's Cloak, and this may be so ingrained in their religion that its considered "a rite of passage". In doing so, Bane's followers also learn a lot about the surrounding cities from the other pilgrims that come to Mourktar and develop bonds that may aid them later in life. However, what Bezantur does with the rest of its money and how it directs other temples in Thay may be outside the control of the Black Lord's Cloak.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000