Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Night of the Hunter Drizzt 2014 book minor spoiler

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Seravin Posted - 27 Jun 2013 : 16:42:05
I hadn't seen this discussed here yet, apologies if a repost:

Release date: March 4, 2014 | Series: Companions Codex
R.A. Salvatore’s New York Times best-selling saga continues as dark elf Drizzt Do’Urden returns to Gauntlgrym with old friends by his side once again, as they seek to rescue Bruenor’s loyal shield dwarf-turned-vampire. But not only do Drizzt and his allies face a perilous journey through the Underdark and the dangers of the undead that lie within, but they must cross through a colony of drow, who would like nothing better than to see Drizzt Do’Urden dead.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51lgEf6PEzL.jpg

26   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
BEAST Posted - 02 Aug 2013 : 17:30:27
quote:
Originally posted by Tanthalas

Honestly, Catti-Brie and Regis that had really stupid deaths? Ok, I won't like it, but I can live with both coming back.

But Wulfgar and specially Bruenor that lived full lives and died heroic deaths? Bringing these two back will be lame (haven't read the Companions yet and I hope no one spoils it here like the last book...).

I don't know about "stupid" deaths. Plague was a major cause of RW death in our own world's middle ages. It happens. Modern medicine has a way of skewing our perspective in such a way as to make many of us see illness as boring and weak.

Over time, I had grown to like both of the characters of Cat and Reg, so it was sad for me to read about them passing. Regis got the short end of the stick in TGK, hardly receiving any pages' worth of coverage at all, so I was disappointed by that. I thought he deserved more, though not necessarily better.

And as far as "heroic" deaths go, remember that Regis died from consequences of the contagion which he contracted after trying to treat his miserable, dear friend Catti-brie. With no thought for his own safety, he plunged in and tried to do what he could. It had worked with King Bruenor in The Lone Drow, so why not? So, once cowardly, unassuming little Regis died doing a very big thing for a loved one. I compare that to a health care worker contracting AIDS from inadvertent exposure to a patient, or to a search and rescue dog inhaling asbestos from a collapsed building while looking for survivors. That's sacrifice. No, it's not single-handedly taking on a pack of tundra yetis (Wulfgar in "To Legend He Goes"), or dueling with a pit fiend (Bruenor in Gauntlgrym). It's not that glamorous or exciting. But it's every bit as heroic.

I just want everybody's return to feel grounded and legit, and not cheap and too convenient. Honor the characters, as he has with their previous deaths, and I'll be happy.

The fact that spoilers say Wulfgar will not enjoy his return and rejoining with the other Companions seems like a step in the right direction. Just as not all died in stereotypical adventurous ways, not all will react to their reentry into the world with the same mindset. That diversity helps maintain realism with these characters, and that keeps me reading.
Thauranil Posted - 02 Aug 2013 : 15:29:32
Catti Brie and Regis died rather abrupt deaths so i would not be averse to seeing them again. At least RAS can give them a proper send off this time if nothing else.
Tanthalas Posted - 01 Aug 2013 : 18:50:53
Honestly, Catti-Brie and Regis that had really stupid deaths? Ok, I won't like it, but I can live with both coming back.

But Wulfgar and specially Bruenor that lived full lives and died heroic deaths? Bringing these two back will be lame (haven't read the Companions yet and I hope no one spoils it here like the last book...).
Irennan Posted - 01 Aug 2013 : 12:26:48
True. I support bringing characters back, but only for valid reasons and if it enriches the story. Not sure if it does in Bruenor's case (not a fan of the Drizzt series), tho.

swifty Posted - 01 Aug 2013 : 10:28:14
quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

quote:
bruenor was buried in the ground.er how do you come back to life after that.

Lol, this is D&D: there are like... infinite ways to do that.

fair point but if they do come back then any danger they face will be pointless as they are basically unkillable.
Irennan Posted - 01 Aug 2013 : 10:20:21
quote:

Lol, this is D&D: there are like... infinite ways to do that.
Aulduron Posted - 01 Aug 2013 : 04:23:12
quote:

Ask Pwent.
Tanthalas Posted - 31 Jul 2013 : 20:10:07
I just realized that if amazon's release date is correct, we'll actually be getting this novel before the last two Sundering novels.

Wish they would release more non-Sundering novels besides this one.
Yoss Posted - 08 Jul 2013 : 13:30:02
I'd hate to see Bruenor's epic and fitting end get reversed, and would be very happy just simply never seeing Catti-Brie again, but I tend to agree with Seravin on the spoiler sense. Not nearly enough context and too much speculation needed to say what it's even a spoiler for.
jornan Posted - 05 Jul 2013 : 03:18:45
I couldn't help myself and read reviews of advanced reading copies of "The Companions". Sounds interesting, and pretty much what I expected. Will have to read it myself to decide how I react.
Seravin Posted - 03 Jul 2013 : 18:52:46
The description don't say who the "old friends" are (it could well be Artemis, Jarlaxle, Ambergris, Athrogate, etc.) or anything about the plot, or the time period the book is set in either. Maybe it is set in The Last Threshold time skips? I swear people need to not jump to conclusions and have a more positive outlook on life and stop crying about being spoiled when you don't know if you have been or not. Sigh.

But I agree with Swifty that I don't want to see Cattie back from the beyond, but after the Last Threshold it did seem like they were gearing to that with all the mention of her and how Dahlia couldn't compete with her. Plus her and Regis, unlike Bruenor and Wulfgar, had sort of pointless non-deaths for such beloved characters.

charger_ss24 Posted - 03 Jul 2013 : 18:09:20
When it mentions "old friends", I'm going to assume that he's back with Artemis, Jarlaxle and co. since they've already had one adventure into Gauntlgrym. But yes, total fail by WotC.
swifty Posted - 03 Jul 2013 : 10:03:42
If Salvatore thinks about bringing bruenor and and that bloody annoying annoying cattie back I'll never pick up his books again.bruenor was buried in the ground.er how do you come back to life after that.
Madpig Posted - 03 Jul 2013 : 05:06:11
quote:
Originally posted by Tanthalas

They could have at least waited for The Companions to be released before giving us spoilers for the subsequent book.

Of course, the blurb doesn't outright confirm that the Companions of the Hall are getting resurrected (it could be some other companions after all). I'm also kind of surprised that they're going to go save Pwent. Looks like he couldn't go through with his Sun suicide.

I wholeheartedly agree with you. I think it is also terrible marketing strategy on WotC behalf to release such information before The Companions.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 02 Jul 2013 : 04:51:36
The spoiler isn't hidden in different color text -- it's just hidden by enough spaces to keep someone from reading it without deliberately scrolling down.
CorellonsDevout Posted - 02 Jul 2013 : 04:27:39
I can't see the spoiler, either. It won't let me highlight it.
Gyor Posted - 02 Jul 2013 : 02:51:55
If you read the OPs post you basically already did.
swifty Posted - 01 Jul 2013 : 22:48:41
i cant read the spoiler
Tanthalas Posted - 28 Jun 2013 : 17:16:40
They could have at least waited for The Companions to be released before giving us spoilers for the subsequent book.

Of course, the blurb doesn't outright confirm that the Companions of the Hall are getting resurrected (it could be some other companions after all). I'm also kind of surprised that they're going to go save Pwent. Looks like he couldn't go through with his Sun suicide.
Krafus Posted - 27 Jun 2013 : 23:29:49
Apologies for the double post. When I clicked post, Candlekeep informed me after a while that time for the script to be executed had been exceeded, so I assumed my message hadn't been posted.
Krafus Posted - 27 Jun 2013 : 23:28:43
I wonder if this could mean that WotC has finally started contacting/contracting authors for post-Sundering novels? Though I seem to recall that Salvatore already has a 6-novel contract or something like that in his pocket, so this news could just be part of the normal progression of that contract.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 27 Jun 2013 : 19:28:53
quote:
Originally posted by TBeholder

You are so clever. Almost like RAS with this title.
..."Night of the Hunter", seriously?

Authors don't always select the final title of a book. An author may have their own working or intended title, but the publisher can change that.
Copper Elven Vampire Posted - 27 Jun 2013 : 19:05:28
quote:
Originally posted by TBeholder

Ummm... I don't understand.
TBeholder Posted - 27 Jun 2013 : 18:48:03
Seravin Posted - 27 Jun 2013 : 18:32:54
I think we all knew that Drizzt's story wasn't over, he may have "died" at the end of TLT but in fantasy literature dying is not often permanent. eg, Gandalf, Jesus, Elminster, Manshoon, etc.

On top of that, The Last Threshold had a lot of time skips. This could be a story that occurred in one of those time skips?
Copper Elven Vampire Posted - 27 Jun 2013 : 16:59:29
Spoiler below....
Now we know for a fact that Drizzt doesn't die at the end of TLT.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000