Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Forgotten Realms Wiki!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
BadCatMan Posted - 20 May 2013 : 08:02:39
I am happy to announce that the Forgotten Realms Wiki has passed its 12,000th article!

I got involved in the FRW early last year, and eventually became an administrator, and have seen it grow and expand quite impressively. We have a good number of active editors contributing new content and new articles, and several active administrators keeping things tidy and organized and introducing new policies and features while old problems are put behind us. We have ongoing efforts to clean up, organise, and standardise old articles.

In the last few months, we've got a new Main Page (thanks to me!), a Featured Article and Featured Source system (mostly me), and a weekly "Did You Know...?" feature (uh, me again). Over the past year, we've got new and highly developed lore articles from:
* All over the Vast (in progress), including Procampur;
* Across Zakhara;
* A fully developed Wheloon;
* The planes in every cosmology;
* Everything you wanted to know about Larloch the Shadow King but were afraid to ask;
and heaps more! New users are also putting out new articles from Darkwalker on Moonshae, Shadowbane: Eye of Justice, The Gilded Rune, Brimstone Angels: Lesser Evils, City of the Spider Queen and more. So both the classic Realms and the new are being detailed in equal measure.

So with the FRW going well, I wanted to get in contact with the wider Forgotten Realms fandom. What do you think of the Forgotten Realms Wiki? Do you use it? Did you have problems with it in the past or do you have problems with it now? What do you want to see more of, or what would you like to see change? I welcome all reasonable opinions.

Plus of course I invite everyone to head on over to the wiki, to explore the Realms and write up that Realmslore!
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
The Sage Posted - 08 Aug 2013 : 15:30:16
quote:
Originally posted by BadCatMan

I just wanted to confirm if the information here:
http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Middle_Mukshar
is genuine or homebrew and what source it comes from. Previously, it had a picture of a "Canterly Hill" (actually a real-world castle) and "Rubbishford Gate" seems such a dumb name. I'd love to lay this pesky thing to rest.

Unfortunately, the online articles on the Border Kingdoms stopped at High Mukshar. :(

The general terrain information looks to be canon. However, I don't recall any references to gold mines [other than the famed Treasures of Tiirglaros, which is said to be "a vast sea of gold coins"] in Middle Mukshar, nor their discovery by dwarven prospectors either.

The druuth are indeed a problem for adventuring bands in the region. And there are references to monstrous nasties plaguing the land. But nowhere is there mention of these obstacles preventing a gold rush in Middle Mukshar.

I don't remember dwarves being numbered among the population, but humans, halflings, a few gnomes, and some half-elves are said to call Middle Mukshar home.

I'm going all from memory, of course, but most of what I've read on that Wiki entry doesn't look like it comes from the original source for Middle Mukshar in POLYHEDRON #134. [There was no 3e update for Middle Mukshar in the "Border Kingdoms" chapter of Power of Faerûn.] I'll need to check the article to be sure.
BadCatMan Posted - 08 Aug 2013 : 04:13:29
I just wanted to confirm if the information here:
http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Middle_Mukshar
is genuine or homebrew and what source it comes from. Previously, it had a picture of a "Canterly Hill" (actually a real-world castle) and "Rubbishford Gate" seems such a dumb name. I'd love to lay this pesky thing to rest.

Unfortunately, the online articles on the Border Kingdoms stopped at High Mukshar. :(
hashimashadoo Posted - 07 Aug 2013 : 16:57:56
It kills me that I can't do more work on the wiki. The wiki is my baby but my computer hasn't been connected to the internet for a year.

I had about three months of internet before then and around 4 years without a connection before that.

It's all I can do to sign in at the library whenever I have a spare moment but I live in a very rural community so if I have problems connecting at home I'm basically screwed. *cries*
The Sage Posted - 07 Aug 2013 : 16:10:49
quote:

Can anyone tell me about Middle Mukshar?
What kind of information are you looking for about Middle Mukshar?

I only ask, because it will make my searching of the compiled source a little easier.
BadCatMan Posted - 07 Aug 2013 : 09:36:23
We're always looking for help! :)

If you want to get involved, then go right ahead. Creating an account is best, but you can work anonymously if you want. A good way to start creating content is to pick something small and not overly detailed — a little-known NPC, a small town or village, or some item — and something that interests you. See if there's a good-looking article on it already, then add to it. If not, then find a similar page to use as a template. Click edit to see the text and code, and follow that. Then just write about your topic as if you were writing the sourcebook yourself, or as a sage writing about the topic, with an in-universe point-of-view and not copying any text word-for-word. Or you can just add little facts where appropriate.

Other things people can do are adding references to articles where needed. If you know the source, or can easily find it, then you can edit the page and add it. If you reckon you know everything about the topic and can't think of a reference for an uncited line, then say so on the accompanying Talk page, or delete it yourself. Or there's just generally tidying up, making corrections and so on.

But please always say what you're doing and why in the Summary line. This lets us know what you're up to and that we can trust it. Some anonymous editors remove or change information with no explanation, so we have to undo it.

The Border Kingdoms seem popular. Can anyone tell me about Middle Mukshar? I had to delete an unsourced and suspect article on the place.
Dark Wizard Posted - 07 Aug 2013 : 04:29:21
Love the Border Kingdoms. Wished the article series was completed. I would definitely buy a regional book on the area.

Not sure how I can help with the Wiki. My collection of Border Kingdoms stuff is incomplete. For instance I know there was an earlier series in Polyhedron magazine, but I've never owned or even read any of them.
Alenis Posted - 07 Aug 2013 : 04:10:37
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

(I'm afraid the Border Kingdoms aren't an interest of mine, though it shouldn't be hard to convert Ed Greenwood's articles.)
I'd be willing to assist on this, BadCatMan, if you're looking/asking for help.

As many scribes of Candlekeep know from my repeated utterings... the Border Kingdoms remain one of my favourite regions in the Realms. As a result, I've made considerable effort in compiling practically everything published about each of them in the Realmslore.

If you'd be willing to, & you have a jumble of already compiled realms-lore on the Border Kingdoms, PM me & I'll toss you my email so you can shoot it my way. The BK's are by far my favorite area of the Realms, & I think I'll take the time to contribute to the FRW & build that up. It certainly sounds like BCM could use some additional help. Either way, thanks, & I'm glad I'm not the only BK's junkie around here!
Dark Wizard Posted - 07 Aug 2013 : 04:01:23
Those are some solid articles BadCatMan. Great to hear the community at the FR Wiki has grown and increased in activity and stronger standards. A good wiki can help fans find things they're looking for and assist new fans in learning about the setting.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 06 Aug 2013 : 17:34:32
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

(I'm afraid the Border Kingdoms aren't an interest of mine, though it shouldn't be hard to convert Ed Greenwood's articles.)

As many scribes of Candlekeep know from my repeated utterings... the Border Kingdoms remain one of my favourite regions in the Realms. As a result, I've made considerable effort in compiling practically everything published about each of them in the Realmslore.

Yes, he'll put assisting you on his infamous To-Do List. At last count, it had three times as many entries as Wikipedia!
The Sage Posted - 06 Aug 2013 : 16:10:27
quote:

BadCatMan Posted - 06 Aug 2013 : 06:30:50
Thank you all for the kindnesses about the wiki. Especially about my work. :D Particularly Procampur; it was my first big project at the FRW, and my favourite city and base for some of my DMing and playing. I've got much of the Vast done now, with most cities, towns and villages, various details and history bar some recent history and 4e stuff. That's on pause again while I focus on Ilmater and the Church of Ilmater, and various wiki work. (I'm afraid the Border Kingdoms aren't an interest of mine, though it shouldn't be hard to convert Ed Greenwood's articles.)

Sorry Markus, I didn't promise completeness. :p It's still a relatively small wiki, especially given the sheer size of the Realms. As a wiki, it relies on users adding the content they want to see, whether as a dedicated editor mass-creating content (depending on what they're interested it or what sources they choose), or passer's-by adding in small facts. So, if there's anything you want to see on the wiki, please type it in, don't worry about the code. As long as there is some attempt at a reference (title and page), we regular editors can keep it and clean it up.

I wasn't involved in the FRW in the early years, though I had the inclination and even an invite from Hash, but didn't think of it and forgot about it. I regret not getting in at the beginning; I could have had so much done now, I'd be more focused in my hobbies, and we'd have fewer problems now. Later, I saw the apparent 4e focus and the messiness and was turned off like others complain about. Eventually I learned wiki editing on another franchise and only got to FRW early last year, deciding that if I wanted to see a good FR wiki, I had to get involved in creating it. I myself saw that the editors then were busy cleaning up and making a good wiki, which made me want to get involved. Then I got to work. :)

So I don't really know the cause of the old problems. I suspect an initial burst of enthusiasm from some past editors for the 4e Realms saw them throw up a whole bunch of 4e lore, before a lot of 3e lore could get laid down. Some scurrilous editors just copied out large swathes of the source books like Grand History — I've embarked on the epic undertaking to rewrite our +2700 Years pages. Some editors were a bit clueless and didn't get the focus on canon/licensed sources and added their homebrew. The plagiarism and homebrew are problems we still deal with, and are problems every franchise wiki suffers. Unfortunately, the FRW doesn't seem to have been well-administrated for a few years, with perhaps more stuff being chucked in than the admins could handle, hence these problems got stuck on the wiki. Now, we have three active admins, a few more who check in occasionally, and a lot of policies and procedures to guard against future bad editing and to clean up the old. But there's a lot of it and a lot more of the Realms to cover.
The Sage Posted - 06 Aug 2013 : 03:56:08
quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Grenemyer

There are enough kind people at the wiki that if you take the time to start a new page or edit a page, they can help you tidy up your work.

Doubly so.

I've found the folk on the Wiki to be an awfully considerate bunch who really are taking the time to make this version of the virtual encyclopaedia, a far superior kind to that of the previous, which was nearly always unfortunately marred by the undefined/unmarked homebrew content included in some entries for canon locales.

At any rate, it's now among my daily allotment of go-to links for Realmslore research whenever I can't get to my books.
Jeremy Grenemyer Posted - 05 Aug 2013 : 20:22:08
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

So twice this week I went to the Wiki, looking for some rather common info, and it wasn't there.
Markus, I've had a couple of similar experiences, but each time that's happened I've gone and added the information into the wiki after I found what I was looking for somewhere else.

Sometimes I'll check the wiki just to see if they have something and if not, I'll add it in. That's how the Sword Heralds entry got written.

There are enough kind people at the wiki that if you take the time to start a new page or edit a page, they can help you tidy up your work.
Mournblade Posted - 05 Aug 2013 : 18:25:46
quote:
Originally posted by bloodtide_the_red

No more 4E focus? It is hard to see why you say that. A glance over a couple articles shows the same ''4E is right'' and ''everything else is wrong'' problem. You simply can not take 40,000 years of history and recon it to match every thing in 4E. You can say the Spellplague changed things, but you can't have it change history. But that is the policy of the wiki right? That ''the most current version of the game is always right'', even if it makes no sense. Guess you will have loads of fun with 5E as you will have to go back and re-change everything again it make it 5E right.

As someone that has a strong dislike for post spellplague I have to say this is not the case. I have been using the wiki because I noticed, before this thread ever appeared, the focus was taken off of the 4e realms. That is why I never used it. It was all 4e realms.

Several months ago I went on because I was curious about something in 4e realms, and I noticed that was not the focus. A crumpy grognard like me can even see the Wiki has shifted its focus to the OVERALL realms.

Wooly Rupert Posted - 05 Aug 2013 : 16:25:07
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

So twice this week I went to the Wiki, looking for some rather common info, and it wasn't there.

I figured I'd give it another chance, but seriously, I get more information by Googling.

So in the entries for both Azoun and Filfaeril there is no mention of their son under 'relatives'?

This may be because he died at an early age, and I don't think he's been mentioned in many places. I can't recall, of the top of my head, any references beyond one in Spellfire.

And hey, post 25000!
xaeyruudh Posted - 05 Aug 2013 : 16:11:00
Markus: I believe the name you're looking for is Foril.

I think he's named in one or two other places as well, but he's on the "Recent Royal Lineage of Cormyr" diagram on page 34 of the Cyclopedia from the old grey box.

And this reminds me to make sure Foril is given a proper salute in my own Encyclowikiblog. (insert thumbs-up smiley here)
Markustay Posted - 05 Aug 2013 : 14:33:08

I figured I'd give it another chance, but seriously, I get more information by Googling.

So in the entries for both Azoun and Filfaeril there is no mention of their son under 'relatives'?
Alenis Posted - 05 Aug 2013 : 13:29:28
BCM, just want to say you & the other editors have been doing a great job. Thanks for all the hard work on our behalf. I've found the Procampur article to be fantastic. I'm looking forward to seeing what the rest of the articles of the Vast read like. Maybe you could jump on the Border Kingdoms next (personal favorite of mine).
Aldrick Posted - 09 Jul 2013 : 04:21:29
I just want to say that the Wheloon article is perfect. It's the type of template I'd like to see all Realms articles follow. The insanely good sourcing, the structure of the article, and the division into the different eras - it's a good template to use.

It's useful and beneficial to everyone, no matter the edition of the Realms they prefer.
BadCatMan Posted - 09 Jul 2013 : 03:05:21
I actually finished Larloch in January. I still need to get back and do Warlock's Crypt and some attendant pages some day.
silverwolfer Posted - 09 Jul 2013 : 02:04:29
i HAVE TO SAY that was a huge job on larloch, it use to be pretty barren about a month ago.
BadCatMan Posted - 09 Jul 2013 : 01:24:30
No, that is not the FRW's policy. Our current policy is to have no edition focus, and give all editions equal focus where we can. That of course depends on who works on what. We can't check and fix 20,000 pages overnight, nor even over 2 years, but we are checking and fixing, and new, good, balanced articles are being made.

Please look at our new articles and featured articles, and see what you think then. Some of our big, well-detailed articles that deal with both sides of the Spellplague are: Wheloon; Larloch; World Tree cosmology and many of the planes; while Drizzt Do'Urden isn't great, but I've tidied it up.

Alright, tell me which page you have a problem with, and what that problem is, and I will fix it up.

And no, 5th edition will be another big pain-in-the-neck like 4th edition is.
bloodtide_the_red Posted - 08 Jul 2013 : 23:47:57
No more 4E focus? It is hard to see why you say that. A glance over a couple articles shows the same ''4E is right'' and ''everything else is wrong'' problem. You simply can not take 40,000 years of history and recon it to match every thing in 4E. You can say the Spellplague changed things, but you can't have it change history. But that is the policy of the wiki right? That ''the most current version of the game is always right'', even if it makes no sense. Guess you will have loads of fun with 5E as you will have to go back and re-change everything again it make it 5E right.
BadCatMan Posted - 02 Jul 2013 : 06:34:16
Zireael: Sorry for misinterpreting. It's just that calls to segregate 4th edition material are frustratingly common. :)

Thank you very much Mournblade!

Yes, whether the FRW is just used as an index to the sourcebooks, or as a fleshed out guide itself, then it's doing its job. Personally, I make articles to support my campaigns: rather than writing up all the information on a place just for my PCs, I can compile it into a wiki article and use that as a handy reference, both for my PCs, myself, and everybody else.

Bloodtide, the good old days are now. We have a very cohesive, interacting community focused on cleaning up and producing good quality articles, and there is no more 4e focus. Please, give it another shot. If anyone sees a problem, feel free to point it out on the Talk page, and one of us will soon deal with as well as we can. If you have any questions, ask around, in the Forum or on an administrator's Talk page.

It's a new month and we have new featured articles: Dethek runes and the Realms of the Dead, with full synopses. I'm currently detailing pre-Spellplague Calaunt, copy-editing some articles, and rewriting our years pages; Boo Too is creating articles on the post-Spellplage Shining South and copy-editing other articles; Moviesign has overhauled the organisation and presentation of spells and powers; and Darkwynters continues his mammoth categorisation and organisation of everything; and everyone else is working on a variety of bits and pieces.

Check them out:
http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page
Mournblade Posted - 02 Jul 2013 : 05:43:24
quote:
Originally posted by bloodtide_the_red

I miss the FR wiki. Back in the good old days when it had plenty of content that was useful. Back before the rule of ''we must let 4E ruin everything''. Now the wiki is just full of useless stuff. It is impossible to use with all of the 4E changes. The 4E stuff is just too extreme. Worse, the 4E changes are retroactive, even though that this the dumbest idea ever. I do occasionally tell a player to go there for information, but just warn them to ignore anything that says 'spellplague' or sounds unbelievably stupid, as that would be from 4e.

I am pretty much revelling in the 4e realms going away, but I could hardly call the wiki useless. Everything is referenced very well, and I have found more often than not a snippet of old lore that came in very handy.

The FR WIki WAS terrible for a few years, but I have to honestly say I was surprised within the last few months when I revisited how much the quality has changed. It is now a very VIABLE resource. Don't let the 4e realms ruin it for you. I am running Anauroch right now, and I had to flesh out candlekeep. The valuable thing the wiki did for me was Direct me to the VOLOS SWord coast guide and I got more information. I would not have thought to look there.

The WIKI is a necessity for a realms scholar like myself.

bloodtide_the_red Posted - 02 Jul 2013 : 04:08:51
I miss the FR wiki. Back in the good old days when it had plenty of content that was useful. Back before the rule of ''we must let 4E ruin everything''. Now the wiki is just full of useless stuff. It is impossible to use with all of the 4E changes. The 4E stuff is just too extreme. Worse, the 4E changes are retroactive, even though that this the dumbest idea ever. I do occasionally tell a player to go there for information, but just warn them to ignore anything that says 'spellplague' or sounds unbelievably stupid, as that would be from 4e.
hashimashadoo Posted - 26 Jun 2013 : 11:36:34
Our policy is to include all material on a given topic in the same article. However, we try to mark the era that certain changes take place and endeavour to highlight any discrepancies between sources, whether they are from different editions or not.

Making such changes not only requires the editor to have access to all of the sources but if the changes between 3e & 4e on a certain topic are many, it also requires a lot of time. We don't have as many editors as we'd like (we probably never will!) so you may have to bear with us. At the moment, we're setting our priorities for the near future so we'll see what importance the community places on expanding articles to clearly differentiate between editions. I don't forsee us changing our policy and making edition-specific articles though, which is what I believe BCM thought you meant.
Zireael Posted - 25 Jun 2013 : 18:22:57
quote:

Zireael: Sorry, we're not going to take sides in the Edition War, but we're undoing the efforts of the old pro-4e users who did. Ideally, we plan for fully developed articles to make the transitions clear through history and dating evidence.

I don't want you to take sides in the Edition War. I want to have access to both 2e/3e version and 4e version of, say, Unther or Evermeet.
Ze Posted - 22 Jun 2013 : 14:43:25
quote:
(and probably the My Wikia app too, but I can't confirm)

Confirmed (iPad 3).
Jeremy Grenemyer Posted - 22 Jun 2013 : 07:25:30
quote:

We've also revised our canon and inclusiveness policy:
http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Forgotten_Realms_Wiki:Canon
To fix a few bugs and make it clear that we do in fact accept the word of Ed of the Green Wood. :)
That's going to open up the floodgates, in a good way.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000