Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 RPG News & Releases
 Ptolus - Back to the Spire!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Wooly Rupert Posted - 09 Mar 2013 : 05:33:03
Ptolus, City by the Spire, is back in print.

I got my copy while they were still fairly easy to find... But if you didn't get it then, now is your chance! It's a massive tome, with a lot of niftiness in it.

Mod Edit: Fixed URL coding.
29   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Old Man Harpell Posted - 01 Apr 2020 : 04:31:31
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

There's a new Kickstarter for Ptolus; the book is being redone for 5E and the Cypher System.

Ptolus: Monte Cook's City by the Spire

Argh...I would love to pitch in for this, but I've already exhausted the missus' Kickstarter good will with backing Arcana of the Ancients. I think (from this point forward) unless a 5th Edition Kickstarter has its roots in either the Realms or Birthright (the two TSR worlds she knows I love), I am going to get exactly zero sympathy.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 17 Feb 2020 : 19:24:11
There's a new Kickstarter for Ptolus; the book is being redone for 5E and the Cypher System.

Ptolus: Monte Cook's City by the Spire
KacyCrawford Posted - 09 Jul 2013 : 17:02:59
Thanks for the update, I like this
Wooly Rupert Posted - 28 Mar 2013 : 03:31:57
quote:
Originally posted by Dark Wizard

Went for the Ptolus sale yesterday. It's actually a bundle with more than just the main Ptolus book. It also contains some smaller PDFs of related products, I think the players guide, the Banewarrens dungeon, the Chaositech supplement, etc. I haven't downloaded it yet because the download client bugged out from traffic last night.

Yeah, it took me multiple tries to get it to download.

I think the bundled stuff was on the CD that came with the Ptolus book -- because I already had most of it. I just didn't have the pdf of Ptolus, City by the Spire.

I've been wanting it for a while, but it's been rather cost-prohobitive. Until last night.
Dark Wizard Posted - 27 Mar 2013 : 23:14:19
Went for the Ptolus sale yesterday. It's actually a bundle with more than just the main Ptolus book. It also contains some smaller PDFs of related products, I think the players guide, the Banewarrens dungeon, the Chaositech supplement, etc. I haven't downloaded it yet because the download client bugged out from traffic last night.
The Sage Posted - 27 Mar 2013 : 05:51:26
quote:

I just saw this on Facebook... I've no idea how long the sale will last, so I recommend jumping all over it now -- The pdf of Ptolus, The City by the Spire is on sale for a mere $20!

That's a great deal, and it's the perfect opportunity for those not already familiar with the awesome work Monte's put into this beast, to get copies for themselves.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 27 Mar 2013 : 03:33:21
I just saw this on Facebook... I've no idea how long the sale will last, so I recommend jumping all over it now -- The pdf of Ptolus, The City by the Spire is on sale for a mere $20!
George Krashos Posted - 15 Mar 2013 : 23:41:19
quote:
Originally posted by PaulBestwick

quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

This is what they should have done for Waterdeep.

-- George Krashos

I'd sooner they gave you the gig for a 300+ pages for Impiltur first George.

Paul, I appreciate the sentiment. I'm not sure I could do something like that on my own given the time constraints in my life, but a trip to GEN-CON next year might likely galvanise me to finish off the Impiltur Lineage, a few more swords from Soargar's Legacy (although the one I posted as a Xmas present on my thread didn't raise a ripple - I might need a new "shtick") and an Impiltur timeline. I do after all have to bring gifts!

And if WotC did come calling for an Impiltur book, well I think I would just have to find that time. It would be an opportunity too good to miss.

Cheers.

-- George Krashos
Dark Wizard Posted - 15 Mar 2013 : 22:05:42
Big books of this size are not the extreme outliers they used to be. Paizo has a 400-something page anniversary edition of their Rise of the Runelords adventure path, Frog God games has two mega-dungeon adventures well in excess of this.

On the city setting front we have Ptolus, and presently Green Ronin is trying to kickstart their 500+ page Freeport hardcover.
The Sage Posted - 15 Mar 2013 : 01:18:30
quote:
Originally posted by PaulBestwick

quote:

-- George Krashos

The "Shut Up and Take My Money" internet meme would seem appropriate here.
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 14 Mar 2013 : 17:31:06
quote:

Only 500? I thought we were going for something like the Ptolus book...
Hey, I said 500+. That + can easily be another 500 pages.

Cheers
PaulBestwick Posted - 14 Mar 2013 : 16:25:11
quote:

-- George Krashos

The Sage Posted - 14 Mar 2013 : 02:36:01
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

My vote goes to a trilogy of books...each with 500 or so pages.

Book one: the city

Book two: the under-city

Book three: the lands around

EDIT for itchy trigger finger

Something like the format for the original Iron Kingdoms RPG would be neat. Two books -- each around 300+ pages, and dividing the treatment of Waterdeeep between game mechanics in one book, and pure setting material in the second book.
Dalor Darden Posted - 13 Mar 2013 : 21:29:56
My vote goes to a trilogy of books...each with 500 or so pages.

Book one: the city

Book two: the under-city

Book three: the lands around

EDIT for itchy trigger finger
Wooly Rupert Posted - 13 Mar 2013 : 19:00:02
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

quote:

quote:

-- George Krashos

Would that be out of the question in the future? Do you think something like that could be pushed through the powers that be? With this transition to a new edition...no time like the present eh?

Sounds brilliant to me. "Waterdeep: City of Splendors," 500+ pages of lore, schemes, NPCs, campaign/adventure hooks, etc. . . .

Great. Now you've got me brainstorming. Thanks for that. (I *also* blame Wooly.)

Cheers

Only 500? I thought we were going for something like the Ptolus book...
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 13 Mar 2013 : 16:10:24
quote:

quote:

-- George Krashos

Would that be out of the question in the future? Do you think something like that could be pushed through the powers that be? With this transition to a new edition...no time like the present eh?

Sounds brilliant to me. "Waterdeep: City of Splendors," 500+ pages of lore, schemes, NPCs, campaign/adventure hooks, etc. . . .

Great. Now you've got me brainstorming. Thanks for that. (I *also* blame Wooly.)

Cheers
Wooly Rupert Posted - 12 Mar 2013 : 22:41:38
quote:

-- George Krashos

Mmmmm, big book of Waterdeep lore... Mmmmm </drooling Homer Simpson>
Dalor Darden Posted - 12 Mar 2013 : 22:32:48
quote:

-- George Krashos

George Krashos Posted - 12 Mar 2013 : 22:13:13

-- George Krashos
Dalor Darden Posted - 12 Mar 2013 : 21:50:07
All I can say is "Ghoulworm"!

One of the nastiest nasty things ever!
Wooly Rupert Posted - 12 Mar 2013 : 19:06:50
quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Grenemyer

I had my boxes all set to go to the book seller, and I took the Ptolus copy out and put it back on the shelf.

I blame Wooly.

MWAHAHAHAHA! My diabolical plan is working!

(Now I need to go figure out what that plan is, and how this helps accomplish it... )
Jeremy Grenemyer Posted - 12 Mar 2013 : 18:46:40
I had my boxes all set to go to the book seller, and I took the Ptolus copy out and put it back on the shelf.

I blame Wooly.
Marc Posted - 12 Mar 2013 : 11:48:08
I got a used copy of The Banewarrens for my Sigil campaign, I think if they print a Pathfinder version, it would sell.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 09 Mar 2013 : 22:32:22
quote:

quote:

quote:

Oddly enough, I'm thinking of getting rid of mine.

Well, the amount of money you'd get for doing so just went down.

Heh, probably so. I can't imagine getting much for it anyway, as the place I sell my books off too pays only a small percentage of what Amazon charges for books (they use Amazon as a price guideline).

The good news is this same place (Rasputin's) charges at most a few bucks for large hardcovers.

Hopefully some kid new to D&D finds that book and uses it like crazy.

IIRC, I got my copy off of eBay, for a little under the cover price.
Jeremy Grenemyer Posted - 09 Mar 2013 : 22:20:05
quote:

quote:

Heh, probably so. I can't imagine getting much for it anyway, as the place I sell my books off too pays only a small percentage of what Amazon charges for books (they use Amazon as a price guideline).

The good news is this same place (Rasputin's) charges at most a few bucks for large hardcovers.

Hopefully some kid new to D&D finds that book and uses it like crazy.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 09 Mar 2013 : 15:05:35
quote:

Wooly Rupert Posted - 09 Mar 2013 : 15:04:32
That book is chock-full of great stuff... My only complaint about it (other than the fact that my arms got tired of holding the book, when I was reading it!) was that to me, the idea that adventurers could start at level 1 and ascend to high levels without ever leaving town just doesn't work. Yes, in Ptolus it is possible, but I can't picture playing an adventurer who never wants to leave town.
The Sage Posted - 09 Mar 2013 : 07:35:13
I love this book! And I especially love all the awesome extras that came with it.

Monte Cook really provided a fully workable setting that can stand equally well enough on it's own, or as a massively extensive part of some pre-existing world.

And I like that I can still thumb through its many hundreds of pages even today... years after it's initial release, and find little gems that are just begging for inclusion/expansion elsewhere.
Jeremy Grenemyer Posted - 09 Mar 2013 : 06:47:13
Glad to see this monster is coming back.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000