Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Prophet of the Dead: A Spoiler-Free Review

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Dennis Posted - 15 Feb 2013 : 15:38:45

Prophet of the Dead is the fifth book of the Brotherhood of the Griffon series by Richard Lee Byers. Richard scored a home run in this high-octane, complex tale of magic, intrigue, war, and survival.

If there's anything that Richard is consistent in, it's his knowing how to start a story right. Just like the first few pages of his previous novels, the prologue in this book presents more than enough captivating scenes that immediately hook the reader and don't let go. What's more, the (implied, ambitious) promises are fulfilled in the middle and towards the end.

Prophet brims with conflicted heroes that you'd helplessly root for and self-serving villains you'd sincerely love to hate, and, to some degree, admire. Richard breathes life to almost all of them, including the undead, that you'll never see them as mere cardboard sketches, but as real, thinking people, capable of deeds destructive and uplifting alike and of emotions that both seethe and melt.

Richard's greatest challenge, I gather, is how to squeeze a potentially epic story in a three-hundred-something pages only without losing its force and flavor. I daresay he did it rather well. (Though I still wish the book were longer.)

Fans of the series will be thoroughly satisfied and will undoubtedly beg Richard to write some more.

Highly recommended to lore-seekers who have heard of Lod and The Eminence of Aurant and want to know more, and to the fans of Richard, the Brotherhood, undead, the hathrans, the durthans, the Old Ones, and everything Rashemi!

Out of ten possible stars, I give it 9.
27   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Richard Lee Byers Posted - 24 Feb 2013 : 14:43:49
I agree. That's a wonderful cover.
Dennis Posted - 24 Feb 2013 : 12:16:11

We should also thank and praise the cover artist: Jaime Jones. She definitely got Lod right.
Aulduron Posted - 23 Feb 2013 : 20:07:30
And we appreciate your words too. Especially when they're in the form of very entertaining fantasy novels.
Richard Lee Byers Posted - 21 Feb 2013 : 20:15:44
Thank you, guys. I really appreciate the kind words.
Dennis Posted - 21 Feb 2013 : 15:33:50

That's what the power of a true wordsmith can do.
sleyvas Posted - 21 Feb 2013 : 15:21:15
ordered it 2 days ago. Taking too long to get here already. It kind of amazes me that Richard has had to write about things that I hated having happen (destruction of Thay, the places that replaced Mulhorand, Unther, and Chessenta), and yet I've loved all of his books.
Dennis Posted - 21 Feb 2013 : 12:04:58
quote:
Originally posted by Tanthalas

I really liked Olgurth and I hope we get to know more about him. Its always great to see an intelligent Orc.
It's a rarity that I found to be surprisingly interesting.
CorellonsDevout Posted - 21 Feb 2013 : 03:28:24
Looking forward to when the Brotherhood adventures continue!
Richard Lee Byers Posted - 21 Feb 2013 : 00:06:18
Glad you liked it, Tanthalas!

Orgurth will certainly figure in future Brotherhood adventures, and I'm sure his backstory will emerge eventually.
Tanthalas Posted - 20 Feb 2013 : 23:01:13
Definitely another great book from Richard Byers.

I really liked Olgurth and I hope we get to know more about him. Its always great to see an intelligent Orc.
Dennis Posted - 19 Feb 2013 : 12:31:01

Richard said we haven't seen the last of the Brotherhood yet. Though I gather it might take awhile till we actually see them again.
CorellonsDevout Posted - 19 Feb 2013 : 04:18:04
I have this book, but I haven't picked it up yet. I have a feeling it's not the end of the Brotherhood, even if it's the end of the series. I know Byers is writing for the Sundering, but I hope he continues with Aoth and the others too!
Aulduron Posted - 18 Feb 2013 : 20:23:31
You were right.
Dennis Posted - 18 Feb 2013 : 18:17:33

That's perfectly fine, Arcanus. I don't mind spoilers myself, but I know a lot of people who hate spoilers.
Arcanus Posted - 18 Feb 2013 : 18:14:10
I sounded a tad grouchy there lol. Sorry guys.
Dennis Posted - 18 Feb 2013 : 12:38:22

Sorry. I thought I'd hidden the spoiler parts. [Edited it already.]
Aulduron Posted - 18 Feb 2013 : 05:30:33
I guess I did get a little spoilery. Sorry. I forgot which thread this was.
Arcanus Posted - 18 Feb 2013 : 02:45:42
Spoiler alerts are always welcome. I would expect them even more given the title of this thread.
Tanthalas Posted - 17 Feb 2013 : 18:43:29
This thread is starting to not be spoiler-free...
Dennis Posted - 17 Feb 2013 : 06:11:04

Yes, I want to see the rest of the company again, too. As for Jhesri,[Spoiler Alert. Highlight to read.] maybe her condition will be one of the driving forces of the plot of the next book--the Brotherhood going to some distant lands to seek for the "cure," or at the very least, she, Aoth, Gaedynn, and Cera will.[/End of Spoiler.] Though honestly, I'd love to see another Thay-centric series featuring the Brotherhood again.
Aulduron Posted - 16 Feb 2013 : 22:10:26
Yeah, I was surprised that I liked an orc so much. And I love Rashemen. When I finished this, I had to re-read The Windwalker. Now I want to see what they do with Jhesri, and hope to see Khouryn and company again.
Dennis Posted - 16 Feb 2013 : 13:17:10
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lee Byers

Very glad you liked it, guys.
As I mentioned in the review, we want more!

quote:
Originally posted by LastStand

I'm yet to read The masked witches - just waiting for it to arrive in the mail...but you had me at Rashemi combined with the fact that it's a RLB Brotherhood novel. Will have to order this now as well.

Maybe you're luckier that you get to read it back-to-back.

Though when it comes to Richard's FR novels, I couldn't wait not even a month, let alone a year. Good thing our local bookstores usually get their stacks just a few days after a book's US or UK release [and sometimes when we're lucky, on the very same day].
Thauranil Posted - 16 Feb 2013 : 11:58:54
Placed my order today . Should get it in a couple of weeks.
I cant wait, especially after reading this review.
LastStand Posted - 16 Feb 2013 : 06:58:16
I'm yet to read The masked witches - just waiting for it to arrive in the mail...but you had me at Rashemi combined with the fact that it's a RLB Brotherhood novel.
Will have to order this now as well.
Richard Lee Byers Posted - 15 Feb 2013 : 21:14:54
Very glad you liked it, guys.
Dennis Posted - 15 Feb 2013 : 17:20:51
quote:
Originally posted by Tyrant

I also like the new member of the Brotherhood.
Indeed. Orgurth is quite endearing. And to think I normally don't care for orcs.

quote:

One of my favorite quotes illustrates Aoth's frustration with not having the rest of his army with him: "The Black Flame burn me," he said, "if I ever travel without my own army again. If I ever walk down to the corner for a mug of beer, the entire Brotherhood of the Griffon is coming with me."
I liked that, too. As well as Jhesri's reply when Sarshethrian revealed Lod's plans on Thay: "I wish him luck with that" (p. 46).
Tyrant Posted - 15 Feb 2013 : 16:10:32
I just finished this book yesterday and I have to second this review. I too wish the bok were longer or the original three parts instead of two. I did get the sense that things could've been better explored/taken a bit longer in parts, but it didn't take away from the story and if anything made it keep a constant pace. Overall a good book that still leaves you wanting more (and there seems to be plenty to work with at the end, even with the present plot mostly wrapped up). My only complaint (if you can call it that) is that I am left wishing it were longer. Hopefully we will see more of Aoth and company in the future.

As a side note, I did like that the idea that Aoth can cast spells beyond his battle magic was explored in a little depth. I recall a discussion on here a few months ago about that so it was nice to see something on that front. I also like the new member of the Brotherhood.

One of my favorite quotes illustrates Aoth's frustration with not having the rest of his army with him: "The Black Flame burn me," he said, "if I ever travel without my own army again. If I ever walk down to the corner for a mug of beer, the entire Brotherhood of the Griffon is coming with me."

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000