Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Paul S Kemp

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Alaundo Posted - 12 Feb 2004 : 19:02:34
Well met

This being a collective scroll of any questions the Scribes and visitors of Candlekeep wish to put to a renowned author of the Realms, namely - Paul S Kemp, whos works include: Shadows Witness, The Erevis Cale Trilogy and the upcoming final book in The War of the Spider Queen series - Resurrection.

Present your questions herein and check back to see what news may also come forth from the quill of this author.
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Wooly Rupert Posted - 17 Dec 2016 : 04:11:53
Zathras had one of the best lines from B5: "Zathras is used to being beast of burden to other people's needs. Very sad life. Probably have very sad death. But at least there is symmetry."

That was an awesome show, and there are certainly much worse places to draw inspiration from.
PaulSKemp Posted - 16 Dec 2016 : 19:42:24
quote:
Originally posted by The Masked Mage

I started re-reading your Erevis Cale Trilogy.

I had completely forgotten Sephris. First - let me say he is one of my favorite characters in any realms novel. Second - as this is only my second time reading the series, it is the first time I am reading the parts with Sephris having read the later parts of Cale's story.

I am amazed by how much of what he says can be taken as prophecy/foreshadowing for your later works. Some examples of what I mean:

"You're the first. One of the five. Were you aware of that?"

"...a gift from a god can be a difficult burden for a man to bear. Such is the case with Sephris." ... Cale could think of nothing to say. He didn't know why the priest had just told them what he had.

Also, (please forgive the Babylon 5 geek in me), was there any intent on your part to make Sephris similar to the Zathras character. He too had knowledge that no one else could understand and so was thought of as insane. Also, as the central character in the time travel sub-plot of the series, Zathras was the voice of Fate and the character who recognized "The One" as Sephris recognized the First and Second of Five. The similarities just made him pop into my mind so I wondered if that was intentional as well.

Thanks

Thanks, TMM. You know, I remember Zathras and I loved B5, but I can't say with any certainty if he influenced my portrayal of Sephris. It's definitely possible. Often, if I'm watching/reading something I really like at the time I'm writing a book, bits of what I'm watching/reading bleed into the book (for example, some Battlestar Galactica leaked into my first Star Wars novel, CROSSCURRENT).
The Masked Mage Posted - 02 Nov 2016 : 08:14:02
I started re-reading your Erevis Cale Trilogy.

I had completely forgotten Sephris. First - let me say he is one of my favorite characters in any realms novel. Second - as this is only my second time reading the series, it is the first time I am reading the parts with Sephris having read the later parts of Cale's story.

I am amazed by how much of what he says can be taken as prophecy/foreshadowing for your later works. Some examples of what I mean:

"You're the first. One of the five. Were you aware of that?"

"...a gift from a god can be a difficult burden for a man to bear. Such is the case with Sephris." ... Cale could think of nothing to say. He didn't know why the priest had just told them what he had.

Also, (please forgive the Babylon 5 geek in me), was there any intent on your part to make Sephris similar to the Zathras character. He too had knowledge that no one else could understand and so was thought of as insane. Also, as the central character in the time travel sub-plot of the series, Zathras was the voice of Fate and the character who recognized "The One" as Sephris recognized the First and Second of Five. The similarities just made him pop into my mind so I wondered if that was intentional as well.

Thanks
Bruce Donohue Posted - 10 Sep 2016 : 08:26:28
I sure hope so too Paul, any project to be honest that they would give you in the Realms I would love to see you back.

I was wondered Paul, if there was a dream story line or concept that you always wanted to do in the Realms and if so what that might be?
PaulSKemp Posted - 30 Aug 2016 : 21:44:52
quote:
Originally posted by Bruce Donohue

Paul, was there any official notice given to you and other established authors that had contributed profusely in the Realms, why after the Sundering series, there would practically be no more novels published? Why it would be relegated two maybe only two novels per year and why after so many Bob would get to play in the sandbox?

No, but I wouldn't expect to receive something like that, either. As for the second part of the question: I don't have any visibility into WotC, their plans, thinking, etc., so I can only answer that I don't know.

I'd love to return to Vasen and Erevis and crew one day.
Bruce Donohue Posted - 21 Aug 2016 : 15:49:25
Paul, was there any official notice given to you and other established authors that had contributed profusely in the Realms, why after the Sundering series, there would practically be no more novels published? Why it would be relegated two maybe only two novels per year and why after so many Bob would get to play in the sandbox?
Firestorm Posted - 19 Aug 2016 : 21:17:59
:(
We miss you

createvmind Posted - 20 Jan 2016 : 21:58:10
Thank you sir, you've written most of my fav realms books short of Ed.
PaulSKemp Posted - 16 Sep 2015 : 14:06:51
quote:
Originally posted by Veritas

Never at this point. As I understand it, WotC and Paul had a dispute over compensation. Paul says they're paying the talent below market rate. Unless WotC budges on the policy, it doesn't look like we'll be getting any more Paul books in Faerun, which is a true shame. To me, Paul is one of the most talented and in-depth writers to pen a Realms tome.

This is so. At this point, I don't have a lot of hope, which bums me out. But so it goes.

I'm glad I was able to contribute to the Realms for so many years, tell stories I'm proud of, and interact with all of you. :-)
Irennan Posted - 13 Sep 2015 : 21:34:52
Yeah, it is a waste. I remember all the excitement coming from the various authors after GenCon 2012, when the Sundering was announced, when (IIRC) WotC said that the Realms would be back in their creator's hands, and that the authors would be given more free room for stories that they wanted to tell. Paul even wrote a post on his blog about the Realms returning to their roots. Then a lot of that simply evaporated...
Veritas Posted - 13 Sep 2015 : 21:12:08
Never at this point. As I understand it, WotC and Paul had a dispute over compensation. Paul says they're paying the talent below market rate. Unless WotC budges on the policy, it doesn't look like we'll be getting any more Paul books in Faerun, which is a true shame. To me, Paul is one of the most talented and in-depth writers to pen a Realms tome.
Xar Zarath Posted - 13 Sep 2015 : 14:32:55
Hi Paul, just wanted to ask when can we expect your next Realms novel?
Duneth Despana Posted - 18 Jun 2015 : 17:48:07
Can you tell us more about the Arnothoi elves and their history? Thanks in advance!
Firestorm Posted - 12 Jul 2014 : 23:58:33
I am not sure if this question has been asked yet Paul. I was just re-reading Godborn today after rereading all the others lol. God I get teary eyed when Riven gives Gerak his girls.

But my questions.

First of five. Second of five.

Right and left hand of the Shadow.

I could interpret it one way. And Assume Cale, Riven, Rivalen, Mephistopheles and Vasen were the 5 keys to Mask being reborn(Mask probably did intend for Cale to succeed him).

Orsin mentioned Rivalen as "one of the three", etc, but there was no mention of "3rd of five, 4th of five, 5th of five" anywhere in the book.

Was that originally the intention, and the "Of five" math is now complete? Or is there something we have not seen yet?

My other questions were basic and I think I asked about them before, but........Tamlin and Azrrim. Do you have future plans for them? Back when it was planned to be a trilogy, I was hoping and hoping a more experienced evil Tamlin would be like a first book villain for Vasen, and praying to see Azrrim in any capacity. Hell, Azrrim could even have joined them to help if the situation fit! Riven did! lol

But really, I am dying to know. I suspect Gerak and Mags would get along splendid, both being woodsmen and all. I kinda suspect Erevis and Vasen would clash a bit once they got to know each other haha.

I am unhappy as heck with how they ended the sundering. Just Elminstering Telamont and the rest of shade. And I am especially unhappy to hear a lot of authors are just in limbo right now.
PaulSKemp Posted - 04 Apr 2014 : 20:22:51
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Happy Birthday Paul!

Thank you kindly, Markus.
Markustay Posted - 03 Apr 2014 : 20:26:50
Happy Birthday Paul!
The Red Walker Posted - 05 Mar 2014 : 15:10:57
quote:
Originally posted by PaulSKemp

quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

Finally getting to The Godborn as I saw the Kindle version was in the $7 range so I snagged it!...So far it's good, real good.

But now for something more important....

1. What Whiskey(or Whisky) are you drinking now?

2. What was the last truely excellent Whiskey you've tasted?

3. What Whiskey are you looking forward to trying next?

At the moment, nothing. As a general rule, unless I have something to celebrate, I'll actually drink Jamesons, which is a blended Irish whiskey. It's not expensive but does a good imitation of an expensive whiskey.

The last two great whiskies I tried: Lagavullin (for single malt scotch) and Pappy Van Winkle (for Bourbon). Both truly excellent. The Pappy's is impossible to find. I got lucky when a local wine shop near my home got some in and let me know before it all flew out the door.

As for what I'll try next: I don't have plans to try anything new, so it'll probably be just one of my typical single malts: A Taliskers, an Ardbeg, or a Laphroaig.

Well if you like Lagavulin and Laphroaig, you should give Kilchoman a taste. They were the first new distillery on the Island of Islay since forever and there oldest whisky is only about 8 years old give or take....but it's amazing(especially some of their sherry casked expressions) and not too hard on the wallet. They have also been know to use Buffalo Trace(Pappy, Stagg and other greats) Bourbon barrels as well.

I was lucky enough to grab a 20yr Pappy this past fall, but havent opened it yet and waiting for a proper reason.

But if you can find it in your area, you need to grab some W.L. Weller 12 year.(or Old Weller Antique 107 $25)it ran me $24 here in Indiana, but is getting scarce.
It's the same stills, same mash bill, same barrels....same everything as Pappy....but the Van Winkles get to come in and hand pick their alotted casks and everything else becomes a Weller. I'm not going to to say it's as good as Pappy, but it's damn close. And since you have an adventurous spirit, if you find a bottle of the 12 and the 107....mix 40% 107 and 60% 12yr....and voila Pappy 12yr clone.

and now back reading to your book
PaulSKemp Posted - 05 Mar 2014 : 14:13:56
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

Finally getting to The Godborn as I saw the Kindle version was in the $7 range so I snagged it!...So far it's good, real good.

At the moment, nothing. As a general rule, unless I have something to celebrate, I'll actually drink Jamesons, which is a blended Irish whiskey. It's not expensive but does a good imitation of an expensive whiskey.

The last two great whiskies I tried: Lagavullin (for single malt scotch) and Pappy Van Winkle (for Bourbon). Both truly excellent. The Pappy's is impossible to find. I got lucky when a local wine shop near my home got some in and let me know before it all flew out the door.

As for what I'll try next: I don't have plans to try anything new, so it'll probably be just one of my typical single malts: A Taliskers, an Ardbeg, or a Laphroaig.
The Red Walker Posted - 04 Mar 2014 : 21:35:27

PaulSKemp Posted - 28 Feb 2014 : 18:35:51
quote:
Originally posted by Fellfire

Link for Soulbound?

There isn't one. At this point, the only place to get the story is in print, in either the Realms of Dragon anthology or The Erevis Cale Trilogy omnibus (I think it's in there).
Fellfire Posted - 25 Feb 2014 : 02:16:36
Link for Soulbound?
skychrome Posted - 25 Feb 2014 : 01:10:18
Thanks Paul, I cannot wait to read the next books!
PaulSKemp Posted - 19 Feb 2014 : 18:25:29
quote:
Originally posted by skychrome

Hello Paul,

last week I finished Egil and Nix 2: A discourse in steel.
First of all congratulations for this great book, I really loved reading it!
Especially the assault on the guild house was a total blast! Apart from being written brilliantly, it also felt like the best of dungeons crawl role playing I can imagine! Just in a more fast forward style.

The book really hooked me up and there are some questions, which are keeping me busy (SPOILERS):
1) Will we see Rose and Mere in any of the next Egil and Nix novels again?

2) Odrhaal struck me as a really complex character, who cannot easily be defined as good or bad, kind of more so than let's say the Sojourner, even though they share common traits.
I understand Nix feelings towards him at the end, but at the same time I also felt, that as a reader I could not "trust" Egil and Nix perception on Odrhaal, because apart from his not caring for anything/anyone really in a "caring" kind of way, he did appear to be pretty straight forward in his communication and actions, without being either good or bad.

So, from your perspective, what might be bad about the girls becoming his apprentices? To me, it seemed a rather attractive option. He does not appear to be a cruel master, although not a loving or caring one neither.

3) Will we see more of those old civilizations in the next novels?

4) How will Egil and Nix pay the guild, considering the mess they left?!

Thanks again and best regards!

First, I'm delighted you enjoyed. :-) On to the questions!

1. Not the very next one (A CONVERSATION IN BLOOD), but in future ones, yes.

2. I think your observations about Odrhaal are spot on, but true indifference of the kind he appears to evidence can carry risk for Rose and Mere. I guess we'll have to wait and see. :-)

3. Sort of. Revelations are coming. :-)

4. The guild will be in CONVERSATION, so you'll find out soon!

I know that's a lot of vagueness. Apologies. Hard not to be without revealing too much, though.

Paul
skychrome Posted - 18 Feb 2014 : 02:54:58
Hello Paul,

last week I finished Egil and Nix 2: A discourse in steel.
First of all congratulations for this great book, I really loved reading it!
Especially the assault on the guild house was a total blast! Apart from being written brilliantly, it also felt like the best of dungeons crawl role playing I can imagine! Just in a more fast forward style.

The book really hooked me up and there are some questions, which are keeping me busy (SPOILERS):
1) Will we see Rose and Mere in any of the next Egil and Nix novels again?

2) Odrhaal struck me as a really complex character, who cannot easily be defined as good or bad, kind of more so than let's say the Sojourner, even though they share common traits.
I understand Nix feelings towards him at the end, but at the same time I also felt, that as a reader I could not "trust" Egil and Nix perception on Odrhaal, because apart from his not caring for anything/anyone really in a "caring" kind of way, he did appear to be pretty straight forward in his communication and actions, without being either good or bad.

So, from your perspective, what might be bad about the girls becoming his apprentices? To me, it seemed a rather attractive option. He does not appear to be a cruel master, although not a loving or caring one neither.

3) Will we see more of those old civilizations in the next novels?

4) How will Egil and Nix pay the guild, considering the mess they left?!

Thanks again and best regards!
Delwa Posted - 15 Feb 2014 : 17:18:05
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Delwa

Just a quick question, Mr. Kemp, and a rather odd one. Do Erevis or Vasen have a favorite color that they would wear? I got their minis from GF9 and want to do something a little different in their paint scheme than is presented on the package and the book covers. I don't recall reading anything along those lines in your novels, but I could have missed it. Thank you for your time.

I can imagine Vasen including a splash of yellow or orange in his clothing, to reflect the noon sun/dawn, and I think that Erevis would habitually include something deep purple in his garb (aaand...cue the guitar riffs from "Smoke on the Water.") :-)

You always have good taste in music. :) I always imagined purple for Erevis. Thanks for taking time to answer!
PaulSKemp Posted - 15 Feb 2014 : 14:12:09
quote:
Originally posted by Delwa

Just a quick question, Mr. Kemp, and a rather odd one. Do Erevis or Vasen have a favorite color that they would wear? I got their minis from GF9 and want to do something a little different in their paint scheme than is presented on the package and the book covers. I don't recall reading anything along those lines in your novels, but I could have missed it. Thank you for your time.

I can imagine Vasen including a splash of yellow or orange in his clothing, to reflect the noon sun/dawn, and I think that Erevis would habitually include something deep purple in his garb (aaand...cue the guitar riffs from "Smoke on the Water.") :-)
Delwa Posted - 14 Feb 2014 : 15:17:26
PaulSKemp Posted - 11 Feb 2014 : 20:33:23
quote:
Originally posted by Entromancer

Bumping this to say that I agree with Markustay. I'd like to see some RPG supplements for Egil and Nix.

I appreciate the sentiment. :-)
Entromancer Posted - 11 Feb 2014 : 15:53:13
Bumping this to say that I agree with Markustay. I'd like to see some RPG supplements for Egil and Nix.
Thieran Posted - 15 Dec 2013 : 15:34:56
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Thieran

Hello Mr Kemp,
There was a discussion in the Book Club (http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=18453) regarding the identity of a character in chapter 1 of "The Godborn" - the "tall, gaunt man" with eyes without pupils watching Magadon getting out of his burning tavern, grinning at him and writing into a book with a quill. Can you shed some light on this?
Many thanks!

Alas, I can't say much. Here's what I can say (and only this unfortunately): He's not a "man," and he has and/or will appear in the other Sundering novels.

Ha, I knew it :) Thanks for sharing that - I actually do not want to know more anyway :)

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000