Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 The Candlekeep Magic Shop

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
The Sage Posted - 28 Apr 2003 : 13:03:11
You cautiously approach the old ramshackle magic-shop at the end of the alley. Looking around you notice that the shop itself is kept in perpetual darkness thanks to the shadows cast by the large number of other taller buildings surrounding the shop. Looking down at the scrap of parchment in your right hand you again read the directions scribbled down by the partially-drunk blacksmith you consulted, for the location of the old magic shop.

"Down the main alley, it 'tis, look for the shop that sits in shadows", you read, as you repeat the directions again mentally making sure that you have found the right place and not been lead astray by an old-drunks' foolish and unreliable memories.

You crumple up the scrap of parchment and once again look up at the shop. There appears to be no candles or laterns lit to indicate that the shopkeeper is inside, but you have the strange feeling of some sort of presence that seems to be emanating from the premises. However at this early hour of the evening it seems unlikely that the owner would be inside.

Still you step up to the main shop door and, as if by magic, the door opens allowing you entry. Looking inside you see that the shop is much larger than it appears from the outside.

"What type of strange magic is this", you think as you continue on past the threshold and into the main shop itself.

You are startled as a small hunched-over goblin approaches you from the left of the store. Quickly reaching for your weapon, you then pause as you realise the goblin's aged appearance. Concluding that this poor creature would not be much of a threat, you regain your composure as the goblin begins to speak, slowly looking you over.

"Greetings to you", the goblin says in what seems to be perfectly articulated Common.

You watch as his yellow eyes slowly pass over your well-proportioned frame.

"My name is Grel, and I am the proprietor of this fine establishment. We offer much in the way of magical services, from quills and parchment to spells and magical items". You smile without realising it as the goblin mentions your main intention for being here.

"It is magical items you seek, then, well come with me, we have much to offer...", he says as he limps off towards the backwards area of the store, he then stops, turning around to meet your gaze.

"...for the right price of course". He laughs bitterly as he continues on his way. Unsure of what to expect, you follow anyway, excitement beaming on your face at the anticipation of what you will soon find.

Greetings,

The main purpose of this post is to establish a thread where I will post some of my homebrew designed magical items for the FR campaigns that I run. Included in the inventory for this "shop" will be spells, magical items, wands, and the all important - wizards' staff.

I encourage all types of feedback, both postive and negative, comments, criticisms, and suggestions for improvement.

So let's begin...

25   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Wooly Rupert Posted - 17 Jun 2019 : 03:35:31
quote:
Originally posted by LordXenophon

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

You're thinking about it the wrong way. The enchantment was never on the bag, at all. It was on the coins.

Then it wouldn't matter if the last coin was removed from the bag, because the enchantment is on the coin. You should be able to just pop it into another bag without issue.

If it were enchanted to work that way, you'd be giving infinite gold to somebody else, every time you spent coins. It needs a failsafe limitation.

And a failsafe limitation would be that the enchantment was on the bag, and that if you emptied it, it would become inert.

Having a magical item fail entirely, permanently becoming useless if you empty it, is just overkill. That's like saying if you empty a mug it can never, ever be refilled, even though nothing about the mug has changed since it last held liquid.
LordXenophon Posted - 14 Jun 2019 : 15:24:37
quote:

quote:

You're thinking about it the wrong way. The enchantment was never on the bag, at all. It was on the coins.

Then it wouldn't matter if the last coin was removed from the bag, because the enchantment is on the coin. You should be able to just pop it into another bag without issue.

If it were enchanted to work that way, you'd be giving infinite gold to somebody else, every time you spent coins. It needs a failsafe limitation.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 26 May 2019 : 15:40:46
quote:

LordXenophon Posted - 26 May 2019 : 14:17:49
Wooly Rupert Posted - 11 May 2019 : 02:22:19
quote:

Fine enough sand can be used to make a mud pack or cast.

And this would not be the only magic item that could be so easily ruined. There's another one that loses it's magic if you ever take the last coin out of the bag.

I seem to recall that... But I don't like that one, either. I'd have an item fall inert for 24 hours long before I went the route of "oh, you did this totally logical thing? Well, too bad you didn't know that would break everything. STBY."
LordXenophon Posted - 10 May 2019 : 21:32:47
Fine enough sand can be used to make a mud pack or cast.

And this would not be the only magic item that could be so easily ruined. There's another one that loses it's magic if you ever take the last coin out of the bag.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 10 May 2019 : 03:48:52
quote:

Bag of Sand

This item looks like an ordinary, though well embroidered bag, containing about half a pound of fine-grain sand. However, no matter how many handfulls are taken from the bag, it always contains the same amount of sand. This sand is suitable for use as a spell component, clean enough for medical use and the right kind for glassmaking, but is too fine for use in cement. If the sand is ever poured from the bag or contaminated by putting other things in the bag, the enchantment will be lost.

I like this, except for the last line -- that's an awfully easy way to disenchant something.

And I'm curious about the medical uses of sand!
LordXenophon Posted - 10 May 2019 : 00:32:34
Here's four more items I came up with for an Al Qadim campaign:

Flying Carpet of Salazar al Sabib

This small, ornate carpet doesn't make an especially good Flying Carpet. It carries only one person, moves no faster than an ordinary horse and you have to make wide turns to keep from falling off, but flying is not really its main purpose.

If a Wizard looks at the carpet after casting Read Magic, the true nature of the carpet is revealed in the twisty designs embroidered into it. Every stitch becomes a word. The carpet is Salazar's spellbook. It has become so slow and clumsy because he has weighed it down and stiffened it with so many extra stitches.

Salazar can also control his carpet from a distance. It comes when called and obeys his commands, even when another is riding it. Stealing this carpet would probably not be as much fun for the players as it would be for the DM.

Bag of Sand

This item looks like an ordinary, though well embroidered bag, containing about half a pound of fine-grain sand. However, no matter how many handfulls are taken from the bag, it always contains the same amount of sand. This sand is suitable for use as a spell component, clean enough for medical use and the right kind for glassmaking, but is too fine for use in cement. If the sand is ever poured from the bag or contaminated by putting other things in the bag, the enchantment will be lost.

Tent of Windwarding

This tent is completely immune to the ravages of the wind, including anything that may be picked up and hurled by the wind. All those inside the tent can enjoy this protection, so long as they keep the flaps closed. In other respects, it provides the same protection as an ordinary tent. Most such tents are large enough for six people.

Ring of Camel Summoning

When activated, this ring causes a camel to run up to the wearer, kneel and wait to be mounted. The camel does not seem to just appear magically, but comes running up from somewhere out of sight. It comes from around the corner, over the dune, out of a gulley, from behind the boulders, etc. It is always the same camel and it is always wearing the same saddle and tack. If slain, the camel and its equipment will vanish immediately, only to return, alive and uninjured, when the ring is again activated. The ring can be used up to three times per day.
LordofBones Posted - 08 May 2019 : 06:39:03
Skimper, you do know that there's a format for posting spells, right?

<Name>
<school>
Level
Components
Casting Time
Range
Effect
Duration
Saving Throw
Spell Resistance

<Desc>

OR (if Pathfinder)

Name
School; Level
Casting Time
Components
Range
Effect
Duration
Saving Throw; Spell Resistance

<Desc>

<Mythic:>

<Augmented>
Wooly Rupert Posted - 05 May 2019 : 15:31:25
quote:
Originally posted by Thraskir Skimper

Definitely not change it. Must have left that part out. It doesn't effect intelligent beings. It can mask an aura from detection but not change the wizard.

Only a goody two shoes person would consider corruption to be a bad name for making something appear 'good' or that 'good' would be desirable.

Duration is 1 day per level.

I guess the dictionary counts as a "goody two shoes" then.

quote:
cor∑rup∑tion
/k#601;#712;r#601;pSH(#601;)n/
noun
noun: corruption; plural noun: corruptions
dishonest or fraudulent conduct by those in power, typically involving bribery.
"the journalist who wants to expose corruption in high places"
synonyms:
dishonesty, dishonest dealings, unscrupulousness, deceit, deception, duplicity, double-dealing, fraud, fraudulence, misconduct, lawbreaking, crime, criminality, delinquency, wrongdoing, villainy; More
bribery, bribing, subornation, venality, graft, extortion, jobbery, profiteering;
payola;
informalcrookedness, shadiness, sleaze, palm-greasing;
malfeasance, misfeasance;
archaicknavery;
raremalversation
"senior officials have been implicated in corruption"
antonyms:
honesty
the action of making someone or something morally depraved or the state of being so.
"the word ďaddictĒ conjures up evil and corruption"
synonyms:
sin, sinfulness, ungodliness, unrighteousness, profanity, impiety, impurity; More
immorality, depravity, vice, iniquity, turpitude, degeneracy, perversion, pervertedness, debauchery, dissolution, dissoluteness, decadence, profligacy, wantonness, indecency, lasciviousness, lewdness, lechery;
wickedness, evil, baseness, vileness
"he is aware of his fall into corruption"
antonyms:
morality, purity
the process by which something, typically a word or expression, is changed from its original use or meaning to one that is regarded as erroneous or debased.
synonyms:
alteration, falsification, doctoring, manipulation, manipulating, fudging, adulteration, debasement, degradation, abuse, subversion, misrepresentation, misapplication; rarevitiation
"these figures have been subject to corruption"
the process of causing errors to appear in a computer program or database.
archaic
decay; putrefaction.
"the potato turned black and rotten with corruption"

Maybe you could try this thing that some people do: when receiving constructive criticism, they consider it and act on it accordingly, rather than issue a dismissive insult.
Thraskir Skimper Posted - 05 May 2019 : 04:24:47
Definitely not change it. Must have left that part out. It doesn't effect intelligent beings. It can mask an aura from detection but not change the wizard.

Only a goody two shoes person would consider corruption to be a bad name for making something appear 'good' or that 'good' would be desirable.

Duration is 1 day per level.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 04 May 2019 : 02:19:20
Corruption is a horrible name for an effect that can create positive, desirable outcomes.

Third level spells should not be able to change a person's alignment. Mask it, perhaps, for a limited time, but not change it.

Lastly, pick one: either the spell effects physical items, or it effects intangibles like alignment. Having it be an either-or thing is too powerful.
Thraskir Skimper Posted - 03 May 2019 : 23:09:54
New Spell

3rd level Spell Arcane.

Corruption

Verbal and Somatic

Corruption is a spell with a focus, this may be a applied to an item or an area of effect, or even an aura.

Corruption causes such items to change into their opposite form. This isn't a negative only corruption as a dead flower bed can be turned into a live flower bed, a dying into a recovering or a healthy into an unhealthy. Likewise an Evil Wizards aura can be changed to that of Good or vice versa. True neutral can suddenly be switched to Chaotic Good or any other alignment. An Item such as a beverage can be made hot if cold or a worked metal unworked, sword would lose its temper or gain temper. A map can be scrabbled or a riddle solved. It won't create missing things so a puzzle with half the pieces won't be finished with all of them, rather just the half you have.

Each level past the base level allows a second item/aura/area to be affect

Area effected is 10x10x10 foot cube.
TBeholder Posted - 17 Jan 2019 : 07:22:24
Speaking of the drow.
Figurine of wondrous power ó Riding Lizard
The trusty subterranean steed with a saddle. Variants include "hardy" (5HD+5, not encumbered by a single Medium sized rider) and smooth-moving (the rider can cast spells without difficulty while it walks at full speed, though not when it leaps).
TBeholder Posted - 16 Jan 2019 : 14:06:43
Twilight Elixir
This concoction's original purpose was to counteract (or accelerate recovery from) "drying up" of innate magic for the drow who were out of Underdark too long. Mainly merchants, mercenaries and wizards with lucrative work on surface, as well as some members of Dark Dagger (still, many other Vhaerunites don't like any dependency on the outsiders or crave return of innate magic less than they are proud of ability to get by without it).
For the drow whose magic is not depleted, it quickly recharges spell-like radiance/darkness abilities (including enhanced abilities, but not levitation, detection, etc). This also turned out to work well for most other creatures with light- or darkness- related innate magic (such as a tiefling with darkness or aasimar with light spell-like ability), though those with few and weak abilities tend to easily overdose from the first sip.
Mild overdose may give extra uses of these abilities, but drinking more or losing control (mechanically, failing a Wis check penalized by amount of excess spell levels the quaff provides if recharging, or by time shaved off 24 period when recovering) usually causes faerie fire to spontaneously and uncontrollably manifest on the imbiber for a while; during this time drinking more elixir is useless and only extends the faerie fire duration, and using related abilities requires an effort to control, or they are likewise wasted.
The exact source is little known (the persistent rumour says it's brewed on the plane of Radiance by the drow wizards who go there for a challenge as much as unique opportunities for experimentation); it's evidently produced in large quantities and stockpiled, so it's sold fairly cheap in Sshamath and (less cheap) by some drow merchants regularly working on surface.
LordofBones Posted - 11 Jan 2019 : 02:03:00
"The second effect of the gate spell is to call an extraplanar creature to your aid (a calling effect). By naming a particular being or kind of being as you cast the spell, you cause the gate to open in the immediate vicinity of the desired creature and pull the subject through, willing or unwilling. Deities and unique beings are under no compulsion to come through the gate, although they may choose to do so of their own accord."
Thraskir Skimper Posted - 11 Jan 2019 : 00:04:33
quote:
Originally posted by LordofBones

Gate does, in fact, work on Orcus. The catch is that he, and all unique entities, are under no compulsion to answer the caller.

"Deities and other planar rulers can prevent portals created by this spell from opening in their presence or anywhere within their domains." Planar Rulers like Orcus.

Although in other places it is more ambiguous.
LordofBones Posted - 19 Dec 2018 : 11:40:06
Gate does, in fact, work on Orcus. The catch is that he, and all unique entities, are under no compulsion to answer the caller.
Thraskir Skimper Posted - 09 Dec 2018 : 23:24:45
Gate doesn't work on Orcus.
LordofBones Posted - 05 Dec 2018 : 13:39:23
It's a poor man's gate.
sleyvas Posted - 04 Dec 2018 : 22:41:48
quote:

My personal thinking is that Orcus is way too prominent to be summoned by anything less than a 9th-level spell, and even that would be very, very iffy, at best.

I think Skimpy's spell is too simple to cast, but the effect of maybe getting his attention is more reasonable to me. I'd have it written into the spell, though, that getting the attention of Orcus may not be in the caster's best interest.

Lol, I'd go further and give a table of all the different types of undead he might turn you into.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 04 Dec 2018 : 16:09:43
My personal thinking is that Orcus is way too prominent to be summoned by anything less than a 9th-level spell, and even that would be very, very iffy, at best.

I think Skimpy's spell is too simple to cast, but the effect of maybe getting his attention is more reasonable to me. I'd have it written into the spell, though, that getting the attention of Orcus may not be in the caster's best interest.
LordXenophon Posted - 04 Dec 2018 : 13:04:38
quote:
Originally posted by Thraskir Skimper

9th level spell

Orcus

This spell is a vocal only component that has the component of saying "Orcus"

When cast the spell has the effect of attracting the attention of Orcus. The chance of doing so is 1%. This chance can be increased by 1% for every 100 undead within 10000 feet of the caster.

Never more than 10%.

If the threshold is not achieved the spell is lost and nothing happens.

If the threshold is achieved one had better have something to give to Orcus. A whole bunch of undead a powerful item etc...

The spell doesn't summon or bind Orcus, it merely attracts his attention.

Casting the spell will move your alignment one point towards chaos and or evil, if all ready 0/0 Chaotic Evil it will grant you 1000 xp.

If Orcus responds you can use other magic upon him or bribe him with information etc...

You may be required to serve him or perform a duty.

Orcus is under no compulsion but if you present an opportunity might be favourable to you, up to your DM.

Look at the 1e spell, Cacodaemon.

https://www.pks.mpg.de/~abernert/hobby/rules/conjure/node10.html

It's for the same purpose, it's only 7th level and it can summon any demon you know by name.
Thraskir Skimper Posted - 04 Dec 2018 : 02:34:15
Guards

These are Iron Golem that are much smaller than normal.

Typically they look like normal Humans, they maybe muscular but there is no need for them to be such.

They do not speak, they are 220 pounds and may be hollow, but they do not float.

They act as Iron Golem in every way except they are only 220 pounds and have less strength and do less damage.

Strength 14
Damage 1d6
Hit points 66
Movement as standard person.

every other characteristic is equal to a standard Iron golem.

Cost is 5 ingots of Iron, 2,000 gold pieces and the lesser golem spell.

Lesser golem, 5th level spell.
Components as per golem
casting time is 6 hours with a 1 hour break every 3 hours.

A black smith may be employed to help shape the Golem. The ingots and gold must be heated combined and the six parts of the spell cast every hour.

Golem will follow commands up to 20 words in length.

Spell is transformational in nature.
Thraskir Skimper Posted - 04 Dec 2018 : 02:16:53
9th level spell

Orcus

This spell is a vocal only component that has the component of saying "Orcus"

When cast the spell has the effect of attracting the attention of Orcus. The chance of doing so is 1%. This chance can be increased by 1% for every 100 undead within 10000 feet of the caster.

Never more than 10%.

If the threshold is not achieved the spell is lost and nothing happens.

If the threshold is achieved one had better have something to give to Orcus. A whole bunch of undead a powerful item etc...

The spell doesn't summon or bind Orcus, it merely attracts his attention.

Casting the spell will move your alignment one point towards chaos and or evil, if all ready 0/0 Chaotic Evil it will grant you 1000 xp.

If Orcus responds you can use other magic upon him or bribe him with information etc...

You may be required to serve him or perform a duty.

Orcus is under no compulsion but if you present an opportunity might be favourable to you, up to your DM.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2019 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000