Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Amusing Realms Typos

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
xaeyruudh Posted - 28 Dec 2012 : 05:24:35
my brain thinks Moonshaes, my fingers say Moonshakes.

surely I'm not alone in these minor mutilations. let's all have a few chuckles. share your unintentional genius!
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
AuldDragon Posted - 21 Jun 2017 : 02:52:38
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I heard about that. A bad usage of Find/Replace All, I believe. You'd think, though, that a spellcheck (pun not intended!) would have found that.

You'd think a lot of normal editorial checks would have discovered that, but apparently not. It may have been done late in the process and not rechecked, for all I know. Regardless, it gave my group hours of amusement (it became our standard word for damage for a while), so I don't mind at all. :D

Jeff
TBeholder Posted - 20 Jun 2017 : 22:16:27
quote:
Originally posted by Rofocale

I always say Lloth... aren't both technically correct?

Like with Tempus (in Finder's stone). Chaotic deities, and all that.
quote:
She'll always be Lloth to me!

But how about lolthcats?
Wooly Rupert Posted - 20 Jun 2017 : 17:54:59
quote:
Originally posted by AuldDragon

Not a specific Realms typo, but to this day, my favorite typographic error was in the first printing of the first volume of the Encyclopedia Magica, where all weapons and magical functions dealt various amounts of "dawizard" to foes.

Jeff

I heard about that. A bad usage of Find/Replace All, I believe. You'd think, though, that a spellcheck (pun not intended!) would have found that.
AuldDragon Posted - 20 Jun 2017 : 17:47:09
Not a specific Realms typo, but to this day, my favorite typographic error was in the first printing of the first volume of the Encyclopedia Magica, where all weapons and magical functions dealt various amounts of "dawizard" to foes.

Jeff
Artemas Entreri Posted - 11 Jun 2017 : 18:29:20
quote:
Originally posted by xaeyruudh

I just accidentally invented the "gelatinous cute"

Hey those things can be dangerous ... and down right adorable.
sleyvas Posted - 11 Jun 2017 : 17:56:09
quote:

quote:

"I'm hauling out my big ol' axe!" I announce... Only it wasn't the word "axe" that I said.

Big Ol' A**
Cost: --
Damage: 10d10 bludgeoning
Weight: a minotaur's hiney (approx.)
Properties: Heavy, reach, two-handed

+1d3 poison damage
xaeyruudh Posted - 11 Jun 2017 : 17:49:04
quote:

"I'm hauling out my big ol' axe!" I announce... Only it wasn't the word "axe" that I said.

Big Ol' A**
Cost: --
Damage: 10d10 bludgeoning
Weight: a minotaur's hiney (approx.)
Properties: Heavy, reach, two-handed
Wooly Rupert Posted - 11 Jun 2017 : 16:48:22
I'm surprised I didn't mention it before, in this thread... The 3E Player's Guide to Faerūn includes three references to the month of Ukta -- that's always amused me.

Something that wasn't a typo, but that proved amusing my gaming buddies, back in the day, was an encounter where my minotaur decided to use his great axe as his weapon.

"I'm hauling out my big ol' axe!" I announce... Only it wasn't the word "axe" that I said. It was another three-letter word, beginning with the letter A, and the use of that word presented quite a different image.
xaeyruudh Posted - 11 Jun 2017 : 15:56:38
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

Just a note, the red version is not strawberry or cherry flavoring.

sleyvas Posted - 11 Jun 2017 : 14:39:20
quote:

Just a note, the red version is not strawberry or cherry flavoring.
xaeyruudh Posted - 11 Jun 2017 : 04:46:13
Kentinal Posted - 30 Apr 2014 : 21:01:01
Well they are hogs they will eat anything *G*
xaeyruudh Posted - 30 Apr 2014 : 20:48:51
Bumping to hopefully gather more amusing typos that have occurred in the last year.

My latest (and amusingly persistent!) slip-of-the-fingers is hogboglin.
Dennis Posted - 05 Jan 2013 : 04:41:30

Just recently, while writing an email to a friend, instead of Candlekeep, I typed "Candlekip." Well, I can hardly be blamed...I wrote a short story prior, and I used 'kip' probably more than I should have. Hehe.
The Sage Posted - 31 Dec 2012 : 05:11:05
quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo

Well met

I've found it somewhat embarassing when writing anything prefixed with "candle", in a document, I automatically write "candlekeep" and rarely realise before sending the document out

I've caught myself doing that a few times as well. And while not exactly a typo, I've also managed to slip the word "Drannor" behind most occasions of writing "myth" regardless of whether it's support material for my games or not.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 31 Dec 2012 : 05:01:27
quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo

Well met

I've found it somewhat embarassing when writing anything prefixed with "candle", in a document, I automatically write "candlekeep" and rarely realise before sending the document out

I type the word "customer" so oft at work, any similar word tends to become "customer" instead of whatever it actually is. "User" is a more accurate term, but since they can see the info we put in the tickets, I prefer something that sounds a little friendlier. Also, since they can see the info in the tickets, I have to refrain from using things like I D 10 T, PEBKAC, or RTFM (a lot of people are amazingly incapable of reading simple, concise directions).

Not really an amusing Realms typo, but I frequently type Rauthamar instead of Raumathar.
Dennis Posted - 31 Dec 2012 : 03:16:54

Awhile back, I noticed these common misspellings by not a few scribes: Telemont, Netherease (yes, MT, I'm looking at you), and mythalar.
Ayrik Posted - 31 Dec 2012 : 01:11:23
Perhaps we should petition Ed to change the name to Alaundokeep?
Alaundo Posted - 31 Dec 2012 : 00:27:00
Well met

Alystra Illianniis Posted - 30 Dec 2012 : 22:41:54
I think I may have a gnome pyromancer who might- ahem- "benefit" from that concept- he's already a near-sighted, absent-minded clutz.... Oh, and a pyromaniac, too. This guy's got some serious problems, obviously.
Ayrik Posted - 30 Dec 2012 : 22:36:09
I'll confess that unclean savant, flaming beer, grope trick, lightning belt, lobster summoning, and wall of forks have brought tears of weeping laughter to my gamers. And the typo concept has attracted the attention of prominent peoples ... but in the end it's just a little bit too unwieldy to explain in a concise and consistent manner, it is more creative gaming art than applied gaming science. I openly invite fantasy authors, DMs, and players to use and abuse the concept in any and every way they see fit. Have fun with it.
Alystra Illianniis Posted - 30 Dec 2012 : 19:35:08
OMG!!! Those are frickin hilarious! I read them out to my gamer hubby, and he was rolling his eyes and laughing. I just about fell out of my chair laughing! Thanks Ayrik, I may have to borrow that affliction....
Ayrik Posted - 30 Dec 2012 : 18:52:36
There's always this ...
Alystra Illianniis Posted - 30 Dec 2012 : 04:20:44
And this is why so many dragons have been given nick-names....
Markustay Posted - 30 Dec 2012 : 03:03:11
Yes, dragons apparently come from the 5th dimension, along with batmite and Mr. Mxyzptlk.

I figure the rule of thumb (at WotC) is that if someone can actually pronounce the dragons name its no good. Not sure if that is better or worse then RAS' love of the Greek.

"Oh no!!! Its the dread dragon WhatTheheckWasHisNameOhYeahGratnilackusthernabulousOrSomeSuch!"

The idea is, by the time someone is able to shout the warning, the dragon already ate his fill and is flying away.
Entromancer Posted - 30 Dec 2012 : 02:06:13
Wijlfga, in The Halfling's Gem. The dragon names do get to be pretty silly. I like Tchazzar and Brimstone, though.
Dennis Posted - 29 Dec 2012 : 10:10:11

Draconic names. Most of them are full of consonants, long, and sound ridiculous. I often don't bother getting the spelling right.

Beholder names, too. I sometimes won't even bother 'pronouncing' them in mind. I simply refer to them as X, S, Y, Q, or whatever comes to mind.
Dennis Posted - 29 Dec 2012 : 10:07:25
quote:
Originally posted by Rofocale

quote:
Originally posted by Xnella Moonblade-Thann

An obvious one is "Lloth/Lolth"...never can get that one right.
I always say Lloth... aren't both technically correct? She'll always be Lloth to me!
Yes, they're both correct. If I'm not mistaken, one is a misspelling of RAS (and given how popular his books are), it kinda stuck.
Alystra Illianniis Posted - 29 Dec 2012 : 02:45:52
Speaking of drow- I started out by spelling Eilistraee as Elistraee. For my HB world, I even changed her name to reflect my preference, and spell it Elistarrya there. But for Lloth/Lolth, I actually prefer the Lolth spelling. I hate words that start with a double-letter of the same consonant. (ie- llano, and certain other Spanish-orginated words)
Rofocale Posted - 29 Dec 2012 : 01:39:57
quote:
Originally posted by Xnella Moonblade-Thann

An obvious one is "Lloth/Lolth"...never can get that one right.

And then there's "Tethir/Tethyr"...and both are cannon names, just that one is a country and the other refers to a forest within that country (which was called the Wealdath in 3e/3.5e, which gets me to thinking that the misspelling was confusing to those who didn't know the difference between the two).

Let's not forget the "Cormanthor/Cormanthyr" one. Again, two places where one encompasses the other. Can't recall which was which at the moment.

I've done Everaska/Everesska instead of Evereska, and boy, does that irk me when I do that. Stupid fingers can't keep up with my brain.

I always say Lloth... aren't both technically correct? She'll always be Lloth to me!

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000