Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Here's a weird one... brothels in the Realms?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Rofocale Posted - 29 Dec 2012 : 17:24:04
Just looking for a clever name. Anybody know one, or have a good idea for one?
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Dennis Posted - 22 Mar 2013 : 14:44:32

The Satyr's Nest

Bones in Chains (I used this in one of my short stories.)

Paradise Found

The Last Apple

The Grinning Demon
Wooly Rupert Posted - 21 Mar 2013 : 04:15:40
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by Arivia

I was really surprised to find a "Slut Street" in Waterdeep. I don't have much else to share, that just sent me for a loop. Appropriately by Ed's answers, it's in the Dock Ward.

It wasn't just in Ed's answers. It was also named "Slut Street" and located in the Dock Ward in Volo's Guide to Waterdeep and the older Waterdeep and the North supplement as I recall.

Yup. I have on the wall of my computer room a map of Waterdeep, from Waterdeep and the North. Slut Street is on that map -- it's one of the streets that branches off The Way of the Dragon, between that larger street and Snail Street. It's pretty much due south of Virgin's Square.
Arivia Posted - 21 Mar 2013 : 02:00:44
quote:

quote:

I was really surprised to find a "Slut Street" in Waterdeep. I don't have much else to share, that just sent me for a loop. Appropriately by Ed's answers, it's in the Dock Ward.

It wasn't just in Ed's answers. It was also named "Slut Street" and located in the Dock Ward in Volo's Guide to Waterdeep and the older Waterdeep and the North supplement as I recall.

Yeah, I noticed it in CoS:W first and then went oh when looking at Ed's stuff. Threw me for a loop.
The Sage Posted - 21 Mar 2013 : 01:25:34
quote:

Wooly Rupert Posted - 20 Mar 2013 : 18:12:54
quote:

Indeed. I don't recall the when and where, but Ed did address that:

quote:
On Slut Street:
Yes, there is a "Slut Street" in Waterdeep. Yes, I put it there. And no, the word 'slut' had no sexual connotation to British and Canadian folks until the last 15 years or so (creeping American influence). It meant "a slovenly woman" or, in earlier times, "a working drudge." So this was where the poor serving wenches dwelt, shopped, and could be hired - not a Prostitutes' Row.
Arivia Posted - 20 Mar 2013 : 17:54:00
sleyvas Posted - 20 Mar 2013 : 17:39:51
quote:
Originally posted by Kno

101 Uses for a Portable Hole

I am literally for once laughing out loud. That so caught my funny bone.
Kno Posted - 20 Mar 2013 : 14:18:59
101 Uses for a Portable Hole
Dennis Posted - 09 Jan 2013 : 08:49:35

Putting Sharess as part of the brothel's name might be giving out too much...info. Perhaps a subtler one would do: Lady of Delights.
Alystra Illianniis Posted - 08 Jan 2013 : 21:53:39
Somehow I doubt Sharess would let anything happen to her favorite temple....
Gyor Posted - 07 Jan 2013 : 06:31:19
Sharess' Kitty :D

How could the Goddess of Festhalls herself not be mentioned?

Of course the greatest festhall in the realms bar none would be of course the Festhall of Eternal Delights, Sharess' holiest Temple.

Filled with Priestesses, none evil Alu-Fiends, mischievous Aasmir descended from Sharess herself, Catfolk, Doppelgangers in pleasing forms, Satyr's and Dryads (Temple's Trees), and flocks of Tryessms, and magical amusements of all sorts, including cheap limited wishes, cure disease, heal, resurrection and cure poison on demand,and possible at times Sharess herself, or even allied dieties, guarded by an air breathing Sirine, Fairy Dragon, and other exotic defences.

Which Festhall/Brothel could compete with that? Especially since literal paradise is only a planeshift spell away.

Sadly I don't think the Eternal Festhall survived 4e from the descriptions of Calimport, including the great novel Sandstorm, although nothing has been stated out right about its fate.

Dennis Posted - 05 Jan 2013 : 04:38:14
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

The Green Cat (frequented by 'naughty' women)
The Broken Tooth (gives special discount to soldiers)
Reed Life (exclusively caters to (dirty) old men)

(props to the first person to guess where they're all taken from)
Well, I've seen Reed Life used in the Empire trilogy, by Feist. Ladies of the Reed Life were those working in brothels or as callgirls.
You got it, Wooly. I only heard of it, and not actually knew it, as I haven't gotten my hands on the Empire trilogy yet. The other two (Green Cat and Broken Tooth) are not exactly brothels, but inns in Midkemia, located in the city of Zun and LaMut respectively.
The Sage Posted - 05 Jan 2013 : 01:31:40
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

How about:

The Feathered Cock

The Smiling Harpy

The Sweet Tart

The Lash and Lips

-- George Krashos

I've got similarly named brothels around my Realms, specifically:-

The Lusty Tart

Lashing Loves

The Pleasurable Harpy

Loves' Labour Gained [That one is kind of a perverse joke manufacted from the time a descendent of Shakespeare visited my Realms.]
Wooly Rupert Posted - 04 Jan 2013 : 16:58:04
quote:

Well, I've seen Reed Life used in the Empire trilogy, by Feist. Ladies of the Reed Life were those working in brothels or as callgirls.
Dennis Posted - 04 Jan 2013 : 15:09:07

Markustay Posted - 04 Jan 2013 : 14:04:26
quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

"The House of Xena (an establishment for women of certain tastes)

The Drunken Minotaur A favorite of bored (and neglected) society women

The Prancing Pony (Do you even have to ask?)"

Xena?! REALLY??!! That's just too funny, MT, LOL!! And did you really just imply that Tolkien's tavern was a brothel??!!
You know, I added that last one with an edit (now I know why it just popped into my head!) I haven't read the Tolkien books since I was 13, and that was in another epoch (so I had forgotten where that stray bit came from).

I left it up to the reader; I can think of two different 'specialties' they could service. Neither is my cup-of-tea, BTW.

And for what its worth, Hobbits strike me as 'chubby chasers'. D&D halflings not so much.

I can also see dark elves running a chain of surface brothel's (The Spider's Kiss?) that double as secret temples of Lolth (or Kiaransalee). With their return to the surface (did that 'Rise of the Underdark' storyline ever go anywhere? ) this plothook would make more sense post-3e.
Chosen of Asmodeus Posted - 04 Jan 2013 : 04:12:07
The Polished Spear

The Sword in the Sheath

The Rose Petal Parlor

The Pearl Necklace

Madam Mithril's Diamond Mine (a high end dwarven establishment)
Alystra Illianniis Posted - 04 Jan 2013 : 03:45:16
How about these:

Cloud Nine (this is an Avariel establishment)

The Lusty Wench

The Cheery Satyr

The Silken Couch (an Underdark establishment)

The Widow's Caress (caters to drow males)

Scented Pleasures

The Randy Rothe (also Underdark)

The Dryad's Dream

Nymph's Delight

The Velvet Wand (yes, this is males-only...)

Jugs and Rugs (very low-class....)

Sultry Summonings (caters to bizarre tastes- uses summoned beings from lower or upper planes!!)
George Krashos Posted - 04 Jan 2013 : 03:24:25
How about:

The Feathered Cock

The Smiling Harpy

The Sweet Tart

The Lash and Lips

-- George Krashos
BlackAce Posted - 04 Jan 2013 : 03:17:50
I'm having far too much fun thinking up these...

The Lusty Scabbard.

The Blushing Beaver.

The Six Ales.

The Two Jugs.

The Red Rump.
Alystra Illianniis Posted - 04 Jan 2013 : 01:34:17
"The House of Xena (an establishment for women of certain tastes)

The Prancing Pony (Do you even have to ask?)"

Xena?! REALLY??!! That's just too funny, MT, LOL!! And did you really just imply that Tolkien's tavern was a brothel??!!
Markustay Posted - 03 Jan 2013 : 18:52:42
The Horny Toad (popular amongst dwarves... especially ones that look like Yosemite Sam).

The Back Door (a boutique specializing in fancy undergarments in the front, but if one knows of the secret alleyway entrance and the password...)

The Leaping Lizard (Run by an red-haired woman who runs the place like an orphanage - she takes in 'wayward' and homeless girls. She herself was an orphan)

The Gilded Rod (another establishment for men of certain tastes)

The House of Xena (an establishment for women of certain tastes)

The Prancing Pony (Do you even have to ask?)
Dennis Posted - 03 Jan 2013 : 15:49:02

Hehe. That sounds better. I already have a list of people likely to visit this kind of brothel.
BlackAce Posted - 02 Jan 2013 : 15:24:57
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:

The Hungry Horse

The Hungry Hippo (caters to those who like plus size women)

... or ancient greeks?

That actually reminded me of a bathhouse we had in Elturel, The Velvet Stud. A ladies (and select carefully vetted gentlemen of a certain persuasion) only bath house where they can be 'served' and pampered by waiters who're broad of chest and firm of buttock.
sleyvas Posted - 02 Jan 2013 : 15:07:30
quote:

The Hungry Horse

The Hungry Hippo (caters to those who like plus size women)
Markustay Posted - 02 Jan 2013 : 13:40:56
Just call it The Shining South

BlackAce Posted - 02 Jan 2013 : 13:24:30
quote:
I once had a little inappropriately-named brothel in one of my SHADOWRUN campaigns called 'Ead Down South. I've yet to find a way of translating that into the Realms.

Hmmm, 'Passage to Brightwater'?
The Sage Posted - 02 Jan 2013 : 08:10:05
quote:
Originally posted by BlackAce

quote:
I've 'The Soft Hills' in my working of Suzail. 'Twas originally 'The Soft Peaks,' but after perusing my write-up for the brothel, the Lady K set me straight on what it should actually be called.

Heh! That was also a name change. The original name ideas were 'The Lady's Veil' and 'The Proud Hart'. Neither felt bawdy enough.

I once had a little inappropriately-named brothel in one of my SHADOWRUN campaigns called 'Ead Down South. I've yet to find a way of translating that into the Realms.
BlackAce Posted - 02 Jan 2013 : 02:48:50
quote:
I've 'The Soft Hills' in my working of Suzail. 'Twas originally 'The Soft Peaks,' but after perusing my write-up for the brothel, the Lady K set me straight on what it should actually be called.

Heh! That was also a name change. The original name ideas were 'The Lady's Veil' and 'The Proud Hart'. Neither felt bawdy enough.
Dennis Posted - 02 Jan 2013 : 02:40:24

The Hungry Horse
The Parched Tiger
The Hollowed Coin
Needles and Chains (for those who are into S&M)
The Crimson Staff
Wands and Roses (exclusively catering to the practitioners of the Art)

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000