Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Sembia?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Markustay Posted - 30 Jun 2009 : 16:42:57
Where can I find out more about this country. 1e/2e seems extremely sparse (and yes, I know the reason why), and there isn't really a whole lot in the 3e FRCS.

I'm also very much aware of Paul Kemp's excellent novels... but they don't really tell me much of anything regarding Sembia.

I'm placing the locales in VGtC ATM, and I noted a few 'across the river' that belong to Sembia, and I was wondering if we ever got any info about Sembia, beyond what was in the CS.

I was going to ask Ed, but with Paul writing there, I'm sure its all under super-lockdown NDA. Maybe someone (Sage?) knows of some older responses regarding this area?
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
cpthero2 Posted - 02 Mar 2020 : 07:06:18
Senior Scribe Razz,

Any chance I could get those from you? :)

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by Razz

quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

WOW!

You rock!

When I start to compile the Index for the atlas from my notes, I was going to ask the scribes here for references to every locale in Faerűn (and beyond). During that period, I plan to release a v.1.0 of the Atlas for folks here to go through and make corrections, but also mainly to add to whatever I may have missed. Those sites are EXACTLY the kind of thing I'm looking for!

And that's precisely how I want them presented - a couple of words describing where it's located, and then the source and page numbers.

I was going through all my old Dungeon Mags last night, and found quite a few new ones, but I am missing a bunch of issues with FR lore and I will also be asking the scribes here to go through any they might have to help-out with this. Once I put together a list of the ones I'm missing (that contain FR adventures), I will be posting that request. It will probably be around the same time I release the 1.0 version of the Atlas.

I haven't even begun with the Dragon issues yet, but I'm pretty sure I have all of those, so I can probably do that one on my own (which I consider FUN, re-reading all those wonderful old FR articles).

Thanks Feraer, and everyone else who has been so helpful.

Edit: There were two small hamlets (thorps?) in And Wringing of Hands in the book Realms of Infamy, but neither was named. They were supposedly near each other, but other then that, there's no info - no-one knows if there was ever a name for them, eh?

There was also a bunch of burned villages between Cormyr and Sembia along the coast in one of the Dungeon adventures - I should see if I could 'pester' Ed for names for those.

PM me regarding magazine info, as in which ones you are missing. I have all of them (Dragon and Dungeon) so anything Realmslore related I can help with.

Markustay Posted - 15 Sep 2017 : 02:59:58
Okay, then. That settles that.

Thanks, Brian.

I've been finding tons of cool places for Cormyr and Sembia. Plus, I've been sprinkling new ones in wherever I felt a settlement should be (also adjusting the sizes of a couple that have not been covered since the Spellplague - things that are just common sense, IMO).
Brian R. James Posted - 12 Sep 2017 : 20:25:35
Accardi is a settlement i created specifically for that map. It did not exist in prior lore.
Gary Dallison Posted - 06 Sep 2017 : 20:54:20
Jeremy Grenemyr mentioned that place once here. he might remember where he saw it.

Unfortunately he no longer frequents these boards. Perhaps you could get hold of him on Enworld
Markustay Posted - 06 Sep 2017 : 19:00:06
Nothing on Accardi, eh?

I know it appears on the Cormyr map that went with Brian James' 4e article, but I could have sworn it predated that map.
Markustay Posted - 03 Sep 2017 : 20:20:31
Not excatly Sembia, but close enough (right across The Neck).

There is a canon settlement named Accardi that is on the coast, just NW of Westgate. I can't seem to find the one and only (official) map it appears on - anyone know?
Markustay Posted - 26 Aug 2017 : 19:03:55
Seems I've caught the attention of at least two 'official types'.

Yeah, Polyhedrons are really hard for me to get my hands on (by either legitimate or illegitimate means LOL). Anything you can share, Krash, would be most welcome. PM on the way.

Brian - thank you so much for sharing that stuff! Its going to be a HUGE help. I plan to get back to my main mapping project - now an entire year behind - very shortly. I'm just doing a little something so someone else can start writing (a DMs Guild project I am doing with someone). Nothing major, but I neede details on that region there, and this stuff is going to help a lot with both projects!

On the 4e Cormyr map (which I still use, almost every day) - there was only one major error - you lost a coastal river, and the town abutting it. The River Lurlar - who's headwaters are at Koril's Well - and the town of Jarliel which sits on it, that falls somewhere between Daerlun and Westgate (so it should have been visible on that map). Its on the FRIA map, and also on one older one (I can't recall which product). There were other, very obscure, minor things as well, but that was the only major problem I saw. I love the Stonelands area best - every previous artist seems to not realize the Goblim Marches is a plateau above the marshes and the Stonelands. I also love how Mike Schley's 5e map of the Heartlands puts all the detail back into the Anauroch - showing it as a plain, yellow blob gives a very false impression of what going on there.

I have my own set of map symbols - I really need to post a map key on one of my maps again, real soon. Because of the new resolution I am working at (each pixel is 1/5 of mile - I am doing a continent in 1000' chunks LOL!), I can have different size symbols for each settlement size. The more information you can convey with a map, the better.
Brian R. James Posted - 24 Aug 2017 : 15:46:41
Hey Mark. Here are my raw notes for an unpublished map of Sembia I was working on during the 4E era, in case they may be useful to you.
quote:
Candlekeep
House of Toil and Sweat (structure)
http://www.candlekeep.com/campaign/logs/dragons/dragons007.htm
Patrakis
Dordunil (village)
Omnyspur River (river)
Garagould River (river)
Seastorm Road (trail)
http://fantasymaps.files.wordpress.com/2008/01/dalelands-patrakis.jpg
Arcane Heresy (NWN2 module)
Brughlan (village)
Landath (village)
http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=NWN2Ideas.Detail&id=28
Elminster’s Ecologies
Keltin (village)
The Settled Lands p.3
Perekat (village)
The Settled Lands p.4
Kaymendle Tower (keep)
The Settled Lands p.10
Ed Greenwood
Olturret (village)
Rattlebons Ride (road)
The Thelnwalk (trail)
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rl/20050302a
Drelt (village)
Dragon #282 p.71
Ornstar (village)
Polyhedron #94 p.5
Skultan (village)
Dragon #269 p.87
Yuthgalaunt (village)
Cormyr: A Novel p.142
Prespur
Palaggar (city)
Uarhold (city)
Tower of Stars (keep)
Sea of Fallen Stars p.11
The Holy Realm
Three small fortified hamlets in NE Gulthmere Forest
Champions of Valor p.80
Fellaren-Krae Project
Eidemane (city)
Fentonford (city)
Vdus Rocks (city)
Fellaren-Krae (city)
Edison (city)
Enrae’s Crossing (city)
Adkins Castle (keep)
Crow Keep (keep)
Laughing Satyr Creek (river)
Weeping Creek (river)
Crowswood (forest)

Village – solid white circle
population less than 1000
Town – solid black circle
population 1001 – 12,000
City – black circle within a larger white circle
population 12,001+

Changes to Backdrop Cormyr section of the map
• Add a new mountain peak south of Tower Tranquil but north of the East Way trail. Tag this new mountain peak, The Bloodhorn.
• Add a new river, Semberflow. It originates from The Bloodhorn and winds its way east into the Semberholme wood and on to Lake Sember.
• Reposition Semberholme tag to be centered within the greater forest
• Add new regional tag, Sessrendale, to the open vale between Semberholme (river) and The Bloodhorn (peak)
• Move Thunder Gap tag west, so it appears between along the trail south of the Falls of Tumbling Stars
• Add a couple hills to the region immediately northeast of Twin Peaks of Urlspur but south of the Moonsea Ride trail.
• Add new regional tag, The High Dale, to the mountainous region between Thunderhome (ruins) and Highcastle (city).
• The Thunder Peaks (mountain range) should extend much further east than currently represented on the Backdrop Cormyr map. A great spur of these peaks, tagged Marching Mountains, should extend southeast into Sembian territory toward Archenbridge (town) and Saerb (city).
• A few more hills should be added east of the Infested Hills and south of the Thunder Way (road) to join with the hills west of Saerb (city).
• Within these additional hills, place a new hamlet named Drelt (village) roughly west of Kulta (town).
• Add Griffonfang Bridge (bridge) east of Daerlun (city). The bridge crosses the River xxxx which originates from a new hill in Sembian lands tagged xxxx. River xxxx flows south to empty into the Inner Sea.
• The road leading east from Daerlun (city) to Huddagh (town) should be changed to a trail.
• Note: Please ensure that no tags cross the boundary where the old Cormyr map meets the new features in the Sembia map. The most problematic tags in this regard may be Marching Mountains (mountains) and Semberholme (forest)
• Update the symbol for the following communities from town to village:
Wormtower, Kirinwood, Monksblade, Dreamer’s Rock, Besert, Ghars, Hidden Vale, Hultail

George Krashos Posted - 24 Aug 2017 : 09:09:55
If you want that article, PM me your e-mail address and I'll send it through.

-- George Krashos
Markustay Posted - 23 Aug 2017 : 19:43:44
Thank You.

I figured something to that effect, and because of a couple of other 'discoveries' in that area, I've added a small river (little more than a spring except during Spring run-offs from the Infested Hills), that meets-up with the River Lurlar near Jarliel (also shown on almost no maps LOL).
Gary Dallison Posted - 23 Aug 2017 : 19:29:06
quote:
There have ben bloodied blades at Ornstar (a tiny hamlet southwest of Ordulin), at Griffonfang Bridge on the main road east of Daerlun

That's the extent of the quote. Given that its a main road I'd be tempted to go with a river (although if there isn't one on the map maybe its a small river but we already know only the major rivers are shown
Markustay Posted - 23 Aug 2017 : 19:00:26
Thanks Dazz
Gary Dallison Posted - 23 Aug 2017 : 18:57:33
I might have. Ill check tonight
Markustay Posted - 23 Aug 2017 : 17:41:34
Casts *** Raise Scroll ***

quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

Here are some lesser-known places in Sembia:

Drelt: hunters’ hamlet, ne of Daerlun (Dragon #282 p. 71)
Ornstar: tiny hamlet, sw of Ordulin (Polyhedron #94 p. 5)
Skultan: gnome village, e of Daerlun (Dragon #269 p. 87)
Yuthgalaunt: village?, between Ordulin and Yhaunn (Cormyr: A Novel p. 142)

Griffonfang Bridge: bridge, e of Daerlun (Polyhedron #94 p. 5)
Old Hazard Hill Farm: monastic Tymoran retreat (Prayers from the Faithful p. 26)

Anyone have access to that issue of Polyhedron (#94)? I need to know if the bridge is over a ravine, or a river (or both).
Razz Posted - 24 Dec 2012 : 16:55:53
quote:

WOW!

You rock!

When I start to compile the Index for the atlas from my notes, I was going to ask the scribes here for references to every locale in Faerűn (and beyond). During that period, I plan to release a v.1.0 of the Atlas for folks here to go through and make corrections, but also mainly to add to whatever I may have missed. Those sites are EXACTLY the kind of thing I'm looking for!

And that's precisely how I want them presented - a couple of words describing where it's located, and then the source and page numbers.

I was going through all my old Dungeon Mags last night, and found quite a few new ones, but I am missing a bunch of issues with FR lore and I will also be asking the scribes here to go through any they might have to help-out with this. Once I put together a list of the ones I'm missing (that contain FR adventures), I will be posting that request. It will probably be around the same time I release the 1.0 version of the Atlas.

I haven't even begun with the Dragon issues yet, but I'm pretty sure I have all of those, so I can probably do that one on my own (which I consider FUN, re-reading all those wonderful old FR articles).

Edit: There were two small hamlets (thorps?) in And Wringing of Hands in the book Realms of Infamy, but neither was named. They were supposedly near each other, but other then that, there's no info - no-one knows if there was ever a name for them, eh?

There was also a bunch of burned villages between Cormyr and Sembia along the coast in one of the Dungeon adventures - I should see if I could 'pester' Ed for names for those.

PM me regarding magazine info, as in which ones you are missing. I have all of them (Dragon and Dungeon) so anything Realmslore related I can help with.
Dennis Posted - 24 Dec 2012 : 04:03:00

Ah, yes. Found it, on p. 177. I didn't really read that book from cover to cover, for obvious reasons; just skimmed through most parts.
Brimstone Posted - 24 Dec 2012 : 02:56:13
4E FRCG...
Dennis Posted - 23 Dec 2012 : 19:58:11
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

Ordlin has a Shadow Weave/Spellplague thingy above it that the Shades are trying to recreate the Shadow Weave out of...
Source please?
Dennis Posted - 23 Dec 2012 : 19:57:34
quote:

They Tilverton'd Ordulin? Why?
A priestess of Shar (not from Shade, for once) read The Leaves of One Night to bring about the Shadowstorm, a preternatural storm that consumes all things. Telamont commanded Rivalen to put a stop to it. That's why most of Sembia was "saved."
Brimstone Posted - 23 Dec 2012 : 17:27:47
Ordlin has a Shadow Weave/Spellplague thingy above it that the Shades are trying to recreate the Shadow Weave out of...
Markustay Posted - 23 Dec 2012 : 15:17:51
They Tilverton'd Ordulin? Why?

Anyhow, I will just place Halfnot in an empty-looking area I guess, unless further info is forthcoming. Going by the official maps, I would say Sembia's coast is either mostly cliffs or there is some danger involved with them (like reefs and sandbars). All that coastline and no towns (the few good ports are all cities). I guess no one goes fishing in Sembia.

Cormyr, on the other hand is LOADED with locales.
Dennis Posted - 23 Dec 2012 : 07:20:23
quote:

And little in the way of Geography.

I need descriptions of locales; not necessarily the people that live in them.
Ordulin and Selgaunt were sufficiently described in The Twilight War Trilogy by Paul S. Kemp; that is, before the former was annihilated.
Markustay Posted - 22 Dec 2012 : 04:55:59
No description of the town (Halfnot)? Was it on the coast?
The Sage Posted - 04 Jul 2009 : 04:33:30
- Halfknot is indeed the name of the "small town" as it is described [pg. 22]

- 'Thas "a mixed population of humans, dwarves, and gnomes" [pg. 22]

I don't specifically recall the exact location of the town being noted in the story. And a quick flick through it now didn't reveal any details either. I suppose you could ask Rosemary herself, as she may have some thoughts on where exactly Halfknot is located.
Markustay Posted - 04 Jul 2009 : 03:29:24
Well, if anyone has the tome, I'd appreciate any sort of placement, and whatever text described it, along with the page number.

I really need to get the rest of those "Realms of..." books... I think I only have three or four.
Dart Ambermoon Posted - 03 Jul 2009 : 16:12:10
"Halfknot" I believe...but I´m not 100% sure.
Kajehase Posted - 03 Jul 2009 : 11:36:04
Rosemary Jones's short story in Realms of the Dragons II is set in a small Sembian community - though I do not recall it's name, and since my books are at a different house than me...
Markustay Posted - 02 Jul 2009 : 20:18:16
Well, I can make 'em work.

I'm even tryng to fit in the stuff from Nightmare Keep... no easy task, I can assure you.

If it appeared in an official TSR/WotC/Hasbro product, then I will try to make it all work, so long as it pertains to the Realms.

For instance, that village furthest west on the map I posted coincides nicely with Dawngleam... and it also fits perfectly with the lore of that place (a build-up of Cormyrian military there). After nearly being destroyed by a pirate raid, Azoun ordered a major fortification of the place, including new docks and several ships assigned to it's new naval base. Rather then going against canon, the adventure plays into the canon perfectly.

quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

Did I give you similar bits from my notes on the Thunder Peaks?
When I'm done with the preliminary version of the Atlas, I will be looking for whatever lore I happen to be missing as part of a community project - the Thunderpeaks are a VERY busy place and I already have quite a bit on them.
Faraer Posted - 02 Jul 2009 : 17:50:52
Did I give you similar bits from my notes on the Thunder Peaks?

I don't think all the Dungeon articles by non-regular freelancers should automatically be taken as Realmslore.
Markustay Posted - 02 Jul 2009 : 16:01:18
WOW!

You rock!

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000