Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Deep Gnome Cities

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Dargoth Posted - 25 Apr 2004 : 09:15:01

Does anyone know of any Deep Gnome cities?, other than Blingdenstone (destroyed by the Drow) and the Deep Gnome city under the Galenas mountains in Damara (Which appeared in H2)

30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Asharak Posted - 10 Apr 2021 : 10:55:34
About Aventine

Melanith (Shinig South 2E) or Melinith (Shining South 3E & The Grand History of the Realms) reigned from 1094 DR to 1215 DR (The Grand History of the Realms).

In the wake of Aventine's destruction, Melanith began the isolationist policy that Dambrath still follows today. (Shinig South 2E)

In 1213 DR, Melinith institutes a policy of isolationism for Dambrath that continues today. (Shining South 3E & The Grand History of the Realms)

Therefore, the destruction of Aventine probably occurs around 1200 DR.
cpthero2 Posted - 27 Feb 2020 : 01:52:41
Eric,

Awesome: thank you! I looked and looked and could not find it.

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

There's a reference in Skullport, page 19, but I don't remember which one I wrote first. (I did a lot of the design work for Skullport, fwiw.)

I think the original inspiration was Elminster's Ecologies: The High Moor, page 27.

Llacerellyn is under the northern end of the Serpent Hills.

ericlboyd Posted - 26 Feb 2020 : 23:13:12
There's a reference in Skullport, page 19, but I don't remember which one I wrote first. (I did a lot of the design work for Skullport, fwiw.)

I think the original inspiration was Elminster's Ecologies: The High Moor, page 27.

Llacerellyn is under the northern end of the Serpent Hills.
cpthero2 Posted - 26 Feb 2020 : 22:55:05
Eric,

I looked through the thread and must have missed it: where is Llacerellyn again?

I agree by the map that it would likely be Ch'Chitl that they come from, but I have no idea where Llacerellyn is at. haha

Best regards,

quote:

I'm thinking that the illithids discovered in the Endless Caverns (allies of the drow) by the ranger Skimmerhorn of Secomber must have come from Llacerellyn. Any better candidates? (Ch'Chitl is the obvious alternative, but the chaos caused by the loss of the Elder Brain there seems to make an alliance with Ched Nasad unlikely. Gauntlgrym might be an alternative, based on early Realmslore, but I think that's better left to Bob's novels, as that may not have endured.)

ericlboyd Posted - 24 Sep 2019 : 21:10:50
I'm thinking that the illithids discovered in the Endless Caverns (allies of the drow) by the ranger Skimmerhorn of Secomber must have come from Llacerellyn. Any better candidates? (Ch'Chitl is the obvious alternative, but the chaos caused by the loss of the Elder Brain there seems to make an alliance with Ched Nasad unlikely. Gauntlgrym might be an alternative, based on early Realmslore, but I think that's better left to Bob's novels, as that may not have endured.)
Dargoth Posted - 09 Jul 2015 : 05:25:47
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

Now this is an Old thread, its been almost a year since i sent Alaundo that Excel Spread sheet

Thats putting it lightly my Younger self!

Scroll is still active 11 years after I started it! :-p
Cards77 Posted - 18 Jun 2015 : 01:34:05
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Faraer wrote:
George Krashos's revised North Timeline has it founded 'by several gnome and deep-gnome clans led by Olbrent Handstone' (should be Ulbrent, George!).

Well, no it shouldn't. You see, Olbrent was Ulbrent's dad. It was his son who became a Duke of Phalorm (Fallen Kingdom). I can't believe that you'd think I'd make a typo like that and not pick it up!

-- George Krashos

LOL George you're my hero.
Duneth Despana Posted - 19 May 2015 : 10:36:15
If it can help narrow down your search I've already found the mentions in Serpent Kingdoms and War of the Spider Queen already noted in this thread.
George Krashos Posted - 19 May 2015 : 00:42:11
I have Eric's notes from when he was writing DDGttU. I'll check tonight and see if I can find where the reference to "Llacerellyn" come from.

Checking back through the thread, it appears that it is mentioned in the novel "Extinction", but I know that there is a gaming product reference out there somewhere.

-- George Krashos

Duneth Despana Posted - 18 May 2015 : 20:08:21
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Rad

quote:
Originally posted by warlockco

Not sure about EE:THM, but SK is for Serpent Kingdoms, and the reference in that tome is on page 110.

EE:THM = Elminster's Ecologies: The High Moor?

I could't find any mention of Llacerellyn in Elminster's Ecologies :'-(
coach Posted - 11 Jul 2012 : 07:42:22
quote:

quote:

Glanderultok (under the Mountains South of the Turnback mountain range) --- still blanking, might be shield dwarves, look at Demihuman Deities, Major Centers of Worship for Abbathor

Morndivver (under the Starspire mountains) -- Shield Dwarves, mentioned in Lands of Intrigue

Nar'Vheen (Near Calaunt) -- Drow (I think) city detailed in LC RPGA play

The Great Worm Cavern (NW of Menzo) -- (Former) home of totem beast of one of the Uthgardt tribes, mentioned in FR5 - The Savage Frontier, The North, and FRCS.

Ullin'Tharnor (under the Great Glacier) -- Drow (I think) ... not sure why I put this one in there ... there was probably a reason, but I think it's on the list of drow city names in FOR2 - Drow of the Underdark

Ultoksurllur (Under the Starspire Mountains) -- Hmm probably shield dwarves or deep gnomes / mentioned in Lands of Intrigue, but I'm not really remembering

Also, not on the maps, is the drow city of Kiaransalee worshipers found under the Galenas and discussed in Demihuman Deities, in the write-up of Kiaransalee

--Eric

Finally found something on Glanderultok (cross-posted from my scroll):

I found an old file that indicates Glanderultok is a duergar city where they worship Laduguer. No reference as to why I thought it needed to be referenced. The art order for the map (referencing 2e maps of Faerun of the day) calls for "Place “Glanderultok” deep beneath the mountain valley due north of the northern end of the Border Forest."

If I had to guess, I would say there's probably a reference in one of Ed's old Everwinking Eye columns in Polyhedron to duergar and this was my attempt to create a city they could come from. That's all I can find though. I wasn't as good about referencing everything with a comment in my write-ups way back then.

i'll butcher the spelling but the kiaransalee city under the galenas was something close to V'eldrinnsshaar

it was described in detail in the Lady Penitent trilogy
ericlboyd Posted - 24 Jun 2012 : 15:07:11
quote:

Glanderultok (under the Mountains South of the Turnback mountain range) --- still blanking, might be shield dwarves, look at Demihuman Deities, Major Centers of Worship for Abbathor

Morndivver (under the Starspire mountains) -- Shield Dwarves, mentioned in Lands of Intrigue

Nar'Vheen (Near Calaunt) -- Drow (I think) city detailed in LC RPGA play

The Great Worm Cavern (NW of Menzo) -- (Former) home of totem beast of one of the Uthgardt tribes, mentioned in FR5 - The Savage Frontier, The North, and FRCS.

Ullin'Tharnor (under the Great Glacier) -- Drow (I think) ... not sure why I put this one in there ... there was probably a reason, but I think it's on the list of drow city names in FOR2 - Drow of the Underdark

Ultoksurllur (Under the Starspire Mountains) -- Hmm probably shield dwarves or deep gnomes / mentioned in Lands of Intrigue, but I'm not really remembering

Also, not on the maps, is the drow city of Kiaransalee worshipers found under the Galenas and discussed in Demihuman Deities, in the write-up of Kiaransalee

--Eric

Finally found something on Glanderultok (cross-posted from my scroll):

I found an old file that indicates Glanderultok is a duergar city where they worship Laduguer. No reference as to why I thought it needed to be referenced. The art order for the map (referencing 2e maps of Faerun of the day) calls for "Place “Glanderultok” deep beneath the mountain valley due north of the northern end of the Border Forest."

If I had to guess, I would say there's probably a reference in one of Ed's old Everwinking Eye columns in Polyhedron to duergar and this was my attempt to create a city they could come from. That's all I can find though. I wasn't as good about referencing everything with a comment in my write-ups way back then.
Mumadar Ibn Huzal Posted - 03 Feb 2012 : 19:46:35
quote:
Originally posted by xaeyruudh

for anyone else looking for it: the scroll

Thanks for pointing me to the correct scroll xaeyruudh
xaeyruudh Posted - 03 Feb 2012 : 06:33:03
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

I don't know how I missed that one.

i feel useful!
Fellfire Posted - 03 Feb 2012 : 05:06:20
How delightful. As dejected as I was to hear of TSD's delay, this improves my spirits, if only for a short time. Many thanks, Procrastinator Most High. I am amazed by how much this site has to offer. Even after being here for a time, I can be unaware of gems like this.
The Sage Posted - 03 Feb 2012 : 02:34:16
Fellfire, see here:- http://www.candlekeep.com/library/articles/crinti.htm
Fellfire Posted - 03 Feb 2012 : 02:26:54
quote:
Originally posted by Fillow

N.B. : I believe we now only call them crinties and no more crintries. They were just called crintries in the Dragon Annual #4 and the 1st Shinig South sourcebook.
Since these books, the 2nd Shining South sourcebook, the Councelors and Kings trilogy and the very short History of the crinties (Thank you so very much Elaine ), and the others call them crinties

What is this? Did Elaine write this? Where can I find it?
The Sage Posted - 03 Feb 2012 : 01:39:45
quote:
Originally posted by xaeyruudh

I don't know how I missed that one.
coach Posted - 03 Feb 2012 : 01:00:54
it'd be neat if a matching locale could be placed on that scroll along with the places updated in this thread since then
xaeyruudh Posted - 02 Feb 2012 : 23:11:19
The Sage Posted - 30 Jan 2012 : 02:12:10
quote:
Originally posted by Mumadar Ibn Huzal

<casts raise dead scroll>
Ahem... I tried to look for the updated/compiled list as discussed in this thread in Alaundo's Library, but I could not locate it... can someone point me to the right shelf?

Now that I'm cogitating on this, I don't believe Alaundo ever uploaded it to the site.

As it is, the compilation should be among the section on "Various Unofficial Lore," of the TRAVELER's NOTEBOOKS sub-section. But it's nowhere to be found. Curious.

I'll notify Alaundo and try to determine where the article ended up, Mumadar.
Mumadar Ibn Huzal Posted - 29 Jan 2012 : 17:30:27
<casts raise dead scroll>
Ahem... I tried to look for the updated/compiled list as discussed in this thread in Alaundo's Library, but I could not locate it... can someone point me to the right shelf?
coach Posted - 22 Jun 2009 : 05:25:32
Demihuman Dieties page 145 lists Corundruby as well as others listed in this thread
coach Posted - 22 Jun 2009 : 05:18:09
also to add to the Deep Gnome cities (i am quite surprised this was missed by all of the great sages here)

the NAME of the deep gnome city listed in post numero uno as 'under damara/bloodstone' on this thread is Corundruby

i'll post the canon source when i find it
Hoondatha Posted - 11 Jun 2009 : 17:45:50
It's ok. 3e seemed to have an obsession with sticking s's onto everything, even when they were flat-out wrong. "Phaerimms" and "sharns" are the two most annoying for me, but there are plenty of others.
Fillow Posted - 11 Jun 2009 : 17:30:27
quote:
Originally posted by Hoondatha

However, crinti is both singular and plural. So no crintis or, worse, crinties.

Oops... Shame on me !
I played a crinti murderer for few months. How could I be mistaken? Shame on me !!

Thanks Hoondatha.
Hoondatha Posted - 11 Jun 2009 : 14:00:58
That's good to hear. Actually, I had always thought it was (and pronounced it to myself) "crinti," and I was both surprised and somewhat ashamed to discover that the book called them "crintri" and, by extension, that I'd been mis-pronouncing it all these years. I'm glad to hear that I wasn't dreaming that the second "r" got dropped at some point, since I think "crinti" sounds better than "crintri."

However, crinti is both singular and plural. So no crintis or, worse, crinties.
Fillow Posted - 11 Jun 2009 : 09:53:22
quote:

I figured I'd post it, both for completeness and because I think this is a great thread that newcomers should see.

You're totally right !
Gnome power !!!! (even if we speak about svirfs)
In gnomine veritas !

quote:

Anyway, it's Aventine, a deep gnome city somewhere in the vicinity of Dambrath. It was destroyed by a joint drow/Shebali army somewhere around 1050 DR. That's an estimate, since the attack was launched some time during the reign of Queen Melanith. No other information is given, aside from the fact that essentially all of the humans were killed by the gnomes, and there were very few drow/Crintri deaths.

If I remember well () :
An alliance of the human nation of Dambrath and the drow city T'lindhet destroyed this city of the deep gnomes during the reign of Melanith, queen of Dambrath and high priestess of Loviatar

N.B. : I believe we now only call them crinties and no more crintries. They were just called crintries in the Dragon Annual #4 and the 1st Shinig South sourcebook.
Since these books, the 2nd Shining South sourcebook, the Councelors and Kings trilogy and the very short History of the crinties (Thank you so very much Elaine ), and the others call them crinties
Hoondatha Posted - 11 Jun 2009 : 01:32:07
Arise! Mwuhahahha!! ARISE!!!!!

*Ahem*

While researching something else completely, I discovered another fallen deep gnome city. I figured I'd post it, both for completeness and because I think this is a great thread that newcomers should see. Anyway, it's Aventine, a deep gnome city somewhere in the vicinity of Dambrath. It was destroyed by a joint drow/Shebali army somewhere around 1050 DR. That's an estimate, since the attack was launched some time during the reign of Queen Melanith. No other information is given, aside from the fact that essentially all of the humans were killed by the gnomes, and there were very few drow/Crintri deaths.
Mumadar Ibn Huzal Posted - 17 Mar 2007 : 18:00:27
quote:

Old thread, but for completeness in case of referencing:

Ultoksurllur
Catacombs under the present day city of Zazesspur were once part of the city Ultoksurllur inhabited by Clan Ghalmrin. The city served as the nominal capital of the Seastar Kingdom (Shanatar subkingdom of Sondarr). (as per DDUGttU)

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000