Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Just a thought - is the new Mystra actually Lurue

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
sleyvas Posted - 15 Oct 2012 : 01:49:07
Something just occurred to me. The representation of "Mystra" in the latest books has always been some animal. Given that Ed's sometimes mentioned the idea that his original view of Mystra was similiar to Lurue.....
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
KnightErrantJR Posted - 17 Oct 2012 : 03:36:55
It would be interesting to find out that the Weave wasn't so much destroyed during the Spellplague as it was fundamentally damaged and altered, to the point that no one could perceive it, and Lurue was the one maintaining it, without anyone thinking of looking for her or it, because they all "knew better" that they would be able to perceive the Weave and that a new Mystra "had" to form to maintain it.
Dalor Darden Posted - 17 Oct 2012 : 03:34:11
Lurue is listed quite apart from Mystra in Ed's new book "Elminster's Forgotten Realms"...but I DO like the idea of Lurue being the actual force behind the "operating system" idea.
sleyvas Posted - 17 Oct 2012 : 02:41:16
quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

Not true- the first "crash" was caused by a hacker! (Karsus)

So, Karsus was a virus.....
Alystra Illianniis Posted - 17 Oct 2012 : 00:43:17
Not true- the first "crash" was caused by a hacker! (Karsus)
Gustaveren Posted - 17 Oct 2012 : 00:30:03
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Mystra just happens to be the biggest provider with the best record for service and reliability.

except when there are a windows update for the server (new D&D rules)
That seems to create a crash
Markustay Posted - 17 Oct 2012 : 00:09:19
More Conjecture:
Re-reaiding what I wrote, and how you responded, I just realized that Mystra is almost like an aspect of Lurue - the HUMAN aspect.

So what if Lurue is really The Weave itself, and has been all along? And each major race has its own 'god of magic', that are really just racial deities (ascended mortals?) that become part of The Weave?

So, just as Mystra's chosen are small bits of her, Mystra herself - and other 'magic gods' can be pieces of 'The Lurue' - the magical web of power that envelops the world.

I had a theory awhile back concerning the fact that primordials don't answer prayers. I believe in 4e they can't, but I've also heard some designers say that they can (so maybe thats change, not sure). My theory was that deities arise with a similar element/energy/concept in thir portfolios as some primordials, and those deites make deals with the primordials - they do the day-to-day stuff (the church and granting spells, etc), and they 'split the profit' with the primordial. Basically, the deities become middlemen for some things. When I thought of this, I really had the elemental deities in mind (which became primordials in 4e). Thus, Kossuth is either a deity that answers to a primorial (kakatal?) of fire, or, Kossuth is the primriald (I like that better) and some unnamed deity is acting as go-between (Aumanator?).

The point is, it doesn't matter how it works. You worship something, you get your prayers answered. The mechanics are really hidden from mortals, and could be quite complex. So taking this idea a step further, Lurue becomes a primordial of arcane energy, and there could be many deities that act as go-betweens for it. Mystra just managed to almost corner the market for awhile. thus, it was really Lurue that was created when Selune and Shar fought - a primoridal born of two other primordials (a demi-primordial?), and then Ao attached a (mortal) sentience to it - the first Mystryl. Other races then attached their own deities to it - either new ones, or existing ones that took up the portfolio.

So Mystra can be the weave, but in a very hard to understand way. Its like when a priest in a modern, RW religion tells us "we are all part of god'. Each deity of magic becomes a portal to the power itself - something too dangerous (or fickle) for mortals to interact with directly.

In other words, to use the computer analogies yet-again, Mystra, Corellon, Thoth, etc, are like IP providers, and Lurue is 'The Internet'. Mystra just happens to be the biggest provider with the best record for service and reliability.
Alystra Illianniis Posted - 16 Oct 2012 : 23:41:48
Mystra as Lurue? Interesting. I've always wanted to see something of real interest done with her....
Markustay Posted - 16 Oct 2012 : 23:04:37
So Lurue appears to be the Weave minus the human element. Since we know Mystra requires that human element to function properly, perhaps Lurue is more like booting a computer in 'Safe Mode' (using the 'Mystra is Windows' analogy).

So Mystra = Lurue + (human sentience/soul).

Maybe.
sleyvas Posted - 15 Oct 2012 : 23:13:11
Oh, and given that Mystra is in effect a daughter of Selune, that would at least make Mystra and Lurue sisters.... (below from powers and pantheons).

"Lurue is said to be the daughter of Selune, Lady of Silver and goddess of the moon."
sleyvas Posted - 15 Oct 2012 : 23:09:05
Thanks sage. I knew someone around here could find the old quote. Seriously though, in the latest series of books, Mystra is working through a bear....... Lurue is the goddess of intelligent beasts.

Now, what scares me more is a joke that apparently I made 4 years ago that I just found about Elminster and a bear.......

"Posted - 18 Feb 2008 : 21:29:44
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He bedded all 3. First he bedded Mystra. But, the old deity, Mystryl, had foreseen what a good lover he was and used a spell to summon him back in time for a rampant session in bed. Then Midnight was watching him work over a dragon and got all hot and bothered and decided she needed a little piece of El-cake. The kinkiest was when he was fooling around with Selune in her avatar form of a were-bear (he wanted to see what Mom was like). "
The Sage Posted - 15 Oct 2012 : 02:42:21
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

Something just occurred to me. The representation of "Mystra" in the latest books has always been some animal. Given that Ed's sometimes mentioned the idea that his original view of Mystra was similiar to Lurue.....

Actually, Lurue was the embodiment of magic and the Weave in Ed's home Realms campaign, as he explains in this reply from March 2004:-

"Originally, Lurue WAS magic—before Julia Martin added the name “Weave” to my GenCon explanations of ‘the great web of magic that’s everywhere in Toril, binds Toril together, and IS Toril,’ Lurue was the embodiment of the Weave. As such, she could teleport without error or limit, through all barriers and spells, was immune to all known magical [and psionic] effects, could raise dead, heal, regenerate and restore with the touch of her horn—and also spew silver fire from it—and so on. Her very proximity dispels illusions and curses, purifies and neutralizes poisons and taints, and purges diseases. And on and on. [To the usual chorus of “Look, yet another all-powerful Greenwood munchkin!” I reply: Yes. Of course. This is THE all-powerful goddess, and she’s also whimsical. We can’t understand why she does what she does, so she can’t be controlled, or act like any sort of tyrannical munchkin, any more than a mountain range or an ocean can be.] She tended to be as curious as a newborn babe, utterly fearless, and kind to injured creatures. And yes, I tucked in the “patron of virgins, but can also make barren wombs bear” folklore, too. Only virgins could ride her, and those who did got that silver hair the Chosen who are Mystra’s daughters all share, and ‘wild talent’ innate magical abilities, and were marked for special tasks and achievements all their lives.

The TSR designers quite rightly (given the humanocentric core of that version of AD&D, with its level and power limits on non-humans) wanted human gods to be front and center and of the greatest power and importance, so Mystra (most important to intelligent creatures trying to USE magic) became also the Guardian or Mother of the Weave, and Lurue sort of . . . danced sideways. To become the awe-inspiring mystery she is now."

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000