Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Everything about Shar and her Clergy

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Aesgereth Posted - 20 Apr 2004 : 11:22:52
Shar (Pronounced: Shahr) Mistress of the Night, Lady of Loss, Dark Goddess

Greater Deity ( Divine Rank 18 )

Symbol:
Black disk with deep purple border
Home Plane:
Plane of Shadow
Alignment:
Neutral Evil
Portofolio:
Caverns, Darkness, Dungeons, Forgetfulness, Loss, Night, Secrets, the Underdark
Worshipers:
Anarchists, Assassins, Avengers, Monks (Dark Moon), Nihilists, Rogues, Shadow Adepts, Shadow Dancers
Cleric Alignment:
Chaotic Evil, Neutral Evil, Lawful Evil
Domains:
Cavern, Darkness, Evil, Knowledge
Favored Weapon:
"The Disk of Night" (Chakram)

Shar is a twisted and perverse being of hatred, jealousy, and evil.
She can see every being, object, and act performed within Darkness and holds dominion over pains hidden but not forgotten, carefully nutured bitterness, and quiet revenge for old slights.
She spends much of her energy battling her old nemisis, Selūne, in a war that is older than recorded time.
She is the creator of the Shadow Weave.
The church of Shar is made up of independant cells that have strong, authoritarian leaders.
All cells in a particular region is under the purview of a superior priest.
Clergy members revel in secrets, using them to tie each other together in loyalty and community.
The pursue practical goals of advancing the power of the priesthood and Shar's worshipers while avoiding direct opposition of other faiths (Except that of Selūne).
The clergy of Shar work to overthrow governments, promote Shar's patronage of avengers, organize secret cabals, and create false cults to their ends.
Clerics of Shar prays for their spells at night.
They have no faith-wide holy days except the Rising of the Dark, which occurs on the Feast of the Moon and involves a blood sacrifice and the revelation by senior clerics of which plots the church will be advancing in the coming year.
At least once a tenday, a cleric must attend a Nighfall, a dancing and feasting revel performed at nightfall that is followed by a small act of wickdness that cleric reports to her superiors in the clergy.
Shar's clerics often multi-class as rogues.
She has an elite order of sorcerer-monks in her service that uses the power of the Shadow Weave.

((Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting, page 248 and 249
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Rudar Dimble Posted - 26 Apr 2005 : 18:56:36
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:
Originally posted by Rudar Dimble
I would hate Shar if I was a deity (which is about to happen in a few days, well at least -> )

Do you want my wish list now or after you become a deity?

Why don't you give it now? I'll put in on place 1 of my to-do list...
SiriusBlack Posted - 26 Apr 2005 : 18:55:21
quote:
Originally posted by Rudar Dimble
I would hate Shar if I was a deity (which is about to happen in a few days, well at least -> )

Do you want my wish list now or after you become a deity?
SiriusBlack Posted - 26 Apr 2005 : 18:53:44
quote:
Originally posted by khorne
I understand Lathander, but why does Shaundakul hate Shar?

I don't recall an exact reason being given. I know Shaundakul and Selune are allies. Thus, with Shar being Selune's enemy....
Rudar Dimble Posted - 26 Apr 2005 : 18:36:54
quote:

Why wouldn't he. I would hate Shar if I was a deity (which is about to happen in a few days, well at least -> ) and weren't one of her allies.
khorne Posted - 26 Apr 2005 : 18:30:31
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:
Originally posted by Adarin
Guess Shar got more than Selune as an enemy.

If memory serves Shar also can list Lathander and Shaundakul as deities who won't be sending her a card during the holiday season.

SiriusBlack Posted - 26 Apr 2005 : 13:43:11
quote:
Originally posted by Adarin
Guess Shar got more than Selune as an enemy.

If memory serves Shar also can list Lathander and Shaundakul as deities who won't be sending her a card during the holiday season.
Adarin Posted - 26 Apr 2005 : 12:13:03
Really?, it is widely known that Cyric and Mask were involved in the murder of Bhaal so there is a probability that Cyric may have taken part of Bhaal Portfolio. Still, there are rumors that Cyric is eyeing the power of The Shadow Weave, which the Prince of Lies believes will grant him the power to directly challenge Mystra. Guess Shar got more than Selune as an enemy.
Rudar Dimble Posted - 26 Apr 2005 : 08:44:01
quote:
Originally posted by DDH_101

khorne, then that's just making one single deity a lot stronger. It's still not exactly balancing out the two sides of good and evil.

Hasn't that happened on other occasions already? Cyric has taken over more than one portfolio from other deities along the way, hasn't he?
Darkheyr Posted - 18 Apr 2005 : 08:55:49
That'd be assuming Shar IS as interwoven with the shadow weave as Mystra is to the normal weave... After all, it was a seperate fragment from Selūnes attack.

Unlikely food for thought, but a nice twist to any epic campaign: Asmodeus IS Shar? :P
The Sage Posted - 18 Apr 2005 : 08:38:55
quote:

..." You`ve gated us into the Throneroom of Asmodeus, haven`t you, you idiot?"...

Asmodeus eradicates Shar... Hmmm... .

quote:
If Shar died and somebody else took over, she'd come back and kick the hell out of him :P
It used to be my contention that the removal or death of Shar would likely have as much consequence for the Shadow Weave as Mystral's sacrifice did for the Weave itself. I had thought that the more and more Shar became integrated into the Shadow Weave - her power and her essence - the more she would use her own divinity to maintain it. So that, eventually at some future point, to remove Shar from the Shadow Weave would cause its collapse.

I've have since revised that theory.
Darkheyr Posted - 18 Apr 2005 : 08:15:14
If Shar died and somebody else took over, she'd come back and kick the hell out of him :P

I'd say Shar of all evil deities would have a contingency plan for something like that, seeing as everyone else does.
DDH_101 Posted - 18 Apr 2005 : 02:02:45
Wooly, but that's because they couldn't complain. Ao was the one that offered to give those portfolios to Cyric and none of the evil gods had the power to challenge Ao.

If Shar died now, Ao would let the gods and mortals sort themselves out on who would take what. Then at the end of all the conflict, he would grant the individual(s) the divinity.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 17 Apr 2005 : 23:47:55
quote:

Well, this "mortal" better be pretty goddamn powerful because I don't think any of the evil gods would enjoy a mortal taking so much power.

It depends on the situation... How many evil deities complained about Cyric gaining so much power?
DDH_101 Posted - 17 Apr 2005 : 17:33:04
Well, this "mortal" better be pretty goddamn powerful because I don't think any of the evil gods would enjoy a mortal taking so much power.
khorne Posted - 17 Apr 2005 : 10:37:26
I am not excluding that some mortal somehow would take Shars portfolios after she kicks the bucket.
elven_songstress Posted - 17 Apr 2005 : 05:42:52
I think anything is possiable, and if someone had the guts and abilities to takeon Shar and some how win, then they deserve what they get.

Her porfolio's would be easily snatched up quickly to maintain a balance so I don't think Ao would worry.
DDH_101 Posted - 17 Apr 2005 : 00:06:52
Wooly, but your examples are of mortals becoming a new deity from a dead deity's portfolios. What khorne was saying was another evil deity (ex. Bane, Cyric, Mask) coming in to steal Shar's powers.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 16 Apr 2005 : 22:38:35
If a new deity was to grab Shar's portfolio and power, like Midnight did with Mystra or like Finder did with Moander, then the power balance wouldn't be as affected.

Further, deific power levels fluctuate without any effect on the Balance...
DDH_101 Posted - 16 Apr 2005 : 21:25:00
khorne, then that's just making one single deity a lot stronger. It's still not exactly balancing out the two sides of good and evil.
khorne Posted - 16 Apr 2005 : 20:21:19
I don`t know if good would gain that much of an advantage, because if Shar was destroyed some evil god would take her portfolios and become much stronger before you can say: " You`ve gated us into the Throneroom of Asmodeus, haven`t you, you idiot?".
Kentinal Posted - 16 Apr 2005 : 19:13:43
quote:

The forces of good would gain a huge advantage and throw off the whole balance.

And this would be bad? *wink*

Yes balance would be changed, however with dead deities not staying dead the balance shifts to some extent any way when any major event occurs.
DDH_101 Posted - 16 Apr 2005 : 19:06:09
You know what? Shar would never be destroyed. The Mistress of the Night is needed to keep the balance that Ao has spent thousands of years creating and maintaining. Remember what happened in Crucible when Cyric went mad? There was like no evil happening, and Faerun was basically in chaos from just a deity going mad. Imagine what would happen if Shar died... The forces of good would gain a huge advantage and throw off the whole balance.
Darkheyr Posted - 16 Apr 2005 : 17:26:14
Yup, that Selunite city was quite an interesting twist. But if we go extraplanar, there's a swat of far more dangerous things... So I'm sticking to faerunian foes :)
Wooly Rupert Posted - 16 Apr 2005 : 16:11:07
quote:
Originally posted by Shadovar

surely, they would have blood relatives on shade enlave, relatives thought lost when the the Netheril Empire collapsed.

Maybe, maybe not... Netheril was a good-sized empire. Just because the people of these two cities are descended from Netherese, that doesn't mean that there's anyone who's got relatives in the other enclave.

Keep in mind that this is a fantasy world, and most people don't stray terribly far from the place of their birth.

Also, it's been 1700 years since these two cities even had the opportunity for contact. So that means that any relatives would be like 23rd cousins, 163 times removed.
SiriusBlack Posted - 16 Apr 2005 : 15:51:22
quote:

I think I read somewhere that the Netherese in Selune`s domain hate the shadovar.

As DDH mentioned one of the adventure seeds/hooks in the Netheril chapter had that Netherese city returning to wage war against the shadovar. I think while that might not explicitly state hate, it clearly shows how they feel about the shadovar.
khorne Posted - 16 Apr 2005 : 12:34:15
I think I read somewhere that the Netherese in Selune`s domain hate the shadovar.
Shadovar Posted - 16 Apr 2005 : 06:51:51
surely, they would have blood relatives on shade enlave, relatives thought lost when the the Netheril Empire collapsed.
DDH_101 Posted - 16 Apr 2005 : 05:54:13
Shadovar, but you have to remember, the Netherese city that was in Selune's domain have been there as long as the Shades have been in the Plane of Shadows. The ones that were rescued by Selune have been very grateful and are very loyal to the moon goddess. So if they do return to Faerun, why would they not go after the deity's most hated enemy's followers?
Shadovar Posted - 15 Apr 2005 : 09:18:57
Well, interesting replies, a Netherese City in Selune's domain, thats a very interesting fact. But I really wonder will they really go attack shade enclave as there might be blood related relatives in both cities, also, much of shade enclave population are mere normal mortals or near mortals save the 500 or so shades in the enclave. So it is quite hard for me to say whether those Netherese under Selune will attack their own fellow Netherese especially if there may be relatives in the dark city.
If an direct assault is needed, to save lives and reduce casualties,I recommend attacking the Shade Enclave Mythallar with an small organized force to bring the whole Enclave down to destruction or whatever place in the various planes that will not allow their return to Toril or Faerun.
DDH_101 Posted - 15 Apr 2005 : 06:46:44
***SPOILER???***

Actually... there is one. If you have Lost Empires of Faerun, there is a Netherese city in Selune's Domain right now that if called back to Faerun, would go and attack the Shade Enclave.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000