Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Why haven't YOU bought Shadowbane?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 11 Oct 2012 : 17:41:07
I've gone through a period of being really serious online (and on the boards) and it's time for a little more joviality. So I've started this baldly self-promotional poll (I swear, those answers are absolutely not biased! And I'm totally not lying!), and I encourage folks to have fun with it.

(Do NOT take this post seriously. Though the books are pretty darn good . . . he said without bias.)

Some Facts!
The Shadowbane series, for those who don't know, is the ongoing saga of one of my signature characters, Kalen "Shadowbane" Dren, the last true paladin of Helm, God of Guardians. A former thief inspired to become a divine warrior, Kalen takes up Vindicator, a sword sacred to Helm's faith, and carries the fight to the forces of shadow and darkness that beset his world. The Realms need a Guardian, and Shadowbane is that man, for better or worse.

The story begins in "The Last Legend of Gedrin Shadowbane", sees its first novel treatment in the Waterdeep-based urban adventure Downshadow (which is also part of the Ed Greenwood Presents Waterdeep series), continues through my free e-novella "Chosen of the Sword" (seriously--85 pages for free), then makes its way to Luskan (city of Kalen's birth) for Shadowbane, then (most recently) heads to Westgate and its many intrigues for Shadowbane: Eye of Justice, which came out just a month ago.

Some More Facts!
The story is small-scale, rather than RSE-based. The stakes are huge for the characters (particularly in regard to Kalen and his friend/ally/eventual romantic interest Myrin, an amnesiac wizard and heir to tremendous power), but they don't mess with significant powerbases in the Realms. I don't go blowing up the moon, but instead focus on my characters and their quest.

The last two novels are ebook only at the moment, but pending more sales, we may very well see print versions. Also, here is a link to free apps that will work on your computer, phone, or any other device: Free Kindle Apps or Free Nook Apps

Also, there has historically been an issue with international distribution of e-books, but WotC recently broke through on a deal to get international distribution going. If you tried unsuccessfully to download one of my books a few months ago, you might give it another shot.

The Question!
So. Knowing all about my awesome series (and having all those free downloads to pique your interest) as I just told you, and supporting small-scale/personal stories as you do, why haven't you bought my books?

Cheers
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
lordsknight185 Posted - 11 Dec 2012 : 04:14:19
"Why haven't YOU bought Shadowbane?"

Because that boy be cracked he is! Believin' the gods all absorbed each other or somethin'

Oh wait...Nah nah *Goes back to drinking mead in his corner*
CorellonsDevout Posted - 04 Dec 2012 : 00:51:22
All right, thanks for the knowledge. I will keep that in mind
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 03 Dec 2012 : 08:08:21
Outside their own site (and possibly even then), Amazon is the most appealing to WotC powers that be. Most other forums out there, while awesome, are pretty obscure to the PTB. I know the WotC folks sometimes look at Candlekeep, though not as commonly as one would hope. Also, it reaches the most potential readers.

But there's no reason to restrict reviews to amazon. By all means, post the same review in every place you can think of. The more distribution, the more effective your review is for supporting the author/series of your choice.

Cheers
CorellonsDevout Posted - 03 Dec 2012 : 05:54:43
Oh, I have another question. You mentioned that it is good to post book reviews on Amazon. There are also forums on the site, and I have come across a few talking about the Realms. Does WotC look at those too? What others sites do they look at? I've done some Google searches, and there seem to be many sites concerning the Realms.
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 30 Nov 2012 : 21:42:51
Thanks for letting me know, sleyvas. I hope this works out for you, and I hope you enjoy the books. Any questions, let me know!

Cheers
sleyvas Posted - 30 Nov 2012 : 10:37:03
Just felt I should give you a heads up, since this thread was what really got me thinking about it again. 2 years ago, I kept looking at tablets and couldn't find something like I wanted. They were too small for the price. I started looking again recently and kept coming back to the same conclusion, until I started looking at older ones on wal-mart's site. I found an android one for $139 with a GB of RAM and 8 GB of storage and a 10 inch screen (plus its able to read my 16GB usb flash drive with its PDF's). I've only had it less than 24 hours, but I made sure to download the kindle app and bought your shadowbane book (I must admit the less than noble paladin idea intrigued me... I have a physical copy of downshadow beside the bed as my next to read). So far, the only thing that concerns me is that these tablets seem to store every password, which is a security nightmare, so I'm encrypting it right now (hopefully there's not a "hidden" app copying said information elsewhere..... yes, I would make a good convert of Mask's). Surprisingly, its able to do everything I've envisioned.
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 28 Nov 2012 : 15:57:39
Understood, OLA. There's a thread in the FR Novels section (stickied at the top) where ok collecting reports of what novels international readers can acquire. Go check it out!

And I'm glad you enjoy my work.

Cheers
offlineagain Posted - 28 Nov 2012 : 15:41:49
Hi there,

I sincerely hope you get to read this Mr. Fantasyauthor :
(i tried to comment on your homepage, but can't register with worldpress as i get no email...
I registered with livejournal just for you...but that seems outdated,
and I dont do facebook)

I came across downshadow by chance really, just because it is FR
(had to buy a badly used copy of downshadow as it is no longer available at amazon.de, my only source for english books)
I ve read your free shadowbane content too

now i WANT book 2 and i know it is ebook only!!!
but it is not available in Germany it seems...
last week it was not even available on amazon.com
it is now, but i cant buy it as it forwards me to amazon.de when i try

funny thing is that book 3 is available in Germany,
(which I want to buy as well)
but I dont buy that one as long as I cant buy book 2

maybe there are more people like me,
that dont get around to buying book 3 without book 2 available

if it is ok to sell book 3 in europe why not book 2?
can you get someone at wizards or wherever to fix that?

I really want to spend my money on your books
in germany we say "customer threatens to buy"

yours sincerely

fascinated downshadow reader from germany
Alystra Illianniis Posted - 21 Nov 2012 : 03:27:17
Well, I voted the last choice- ie, I HAVE bought Shadowbane on my Kindle. Am currently reading it (sporadically) during my breaks at work. It's pretty cool so far! When I finish it, I will go back and get Downshadow and the others as well. I really like Kalen and Myrin, but oddly enough my favorite character from the book is Toytere! And I'm kind of digging Sithe as well, for reasons I can't quite grasp....

And I will say that although, like many others here, I really PREFER a solid, material book to read, with my reading list and the daily two-mile walk to and from work (I do not own a car, and work on the opposite side of town from my home) an e-reader is just a far more practical choice for me. Otherwise, given my penchant for reading several books at the same time (ie, I'll start a book, then put it down for a bit, start anotehr, put it down, etc until I have three or four going more or less all at various stages of completion at once) I could never carry all the books to work that I am currently reading! Ergo, my Kindle is a MUST.
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 21 Nov 2012 : 02:15:33
I'm glad you enjoyed, Tarlyn, and I appreciate the vote of confidence. I try to write stories that fit the realms as a whole, not any particular era. The details may be specific to a time and place, but the spirit I aim for is timeless.

Cheers
Tarlyn Posted - 21 Nov 2012 : 02:05:19
I have a strict no purchase policy toward shattered realms stuff until such a time that I feel the realms is worth using as a campaign setting. The only exception to that I have made was the Sage of Shadowdale series since it was actively working on restoring realms. That being said, your free short "The Last Legend of Gedrin Shadowbane" was a great read. I have both the Shadowbane series and the Brimestone Angels stuff on a list of books worth considering provided the Sundering series makes realms appealing again. I also recommended both of those series to a lapsed realms fan as well(citing Candlekeep posters as my source of them being good reads). Best of luck attracting more readers and I hope WotC does pick up more Shadowbane stuff.
Tanthalas Posted - 18 Nov 2012 : 20:03:51
When I visited amazon.com I saw a price for Shadowbane and got all excited because I thought it was finally available overseas. Then I logged-in and the price was gone. :(

I have Eye of Justice, but I don't want to read it until after I read Shadowbane.
skychrome Posted - 26 Oct 2012 : 03:42:42
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

quote:
Originally posted by skychrome

quote:
What country are we talking about?

Chile, but I just saw that the available FR-ebooks for me on amazon.com increased from 4 to 5! And the new one is Eye of Justice!
Though this is very positive, it still improves the access by only one book...

send me an email with a list of books you can access, and I'll get your feedback to the powers that be.

Thank you very much Erik, I just sent you a brief summary!
The Sage Posted - 25 Oct 2012 : 06:15:14
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by CorellonsDevout

I guess I really need to get around to posting reviews...

I'm intending on trying to do the same with my reading of the complete [so far] "Shadowbane Saga."
I'll post my read-by-read reviews here, since I know Erik and other fans of his works frequent this site.
That sounds awesome! Consider posting the reviews on Amazon as well, where it's more likely WotC will see them.

Cheers

Oh, yes, of course. Nearly forgot about that.
CorellonsDevout Posted - 25 Oct 2012 : 06:07:28
I was planing to post them on Amazon. There are several books I would like to see sequels to.
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 25 Oct 2012 : 06:04:37
quote:

quote:

I'm intending on trying to do the same with my reading of the complete [so far] "Shadowbane Saga."
I'll post my read-by-read reviews here, since I know Erik and other fans of his works frequent this site.
That sounds awesome! Consider posting the reviews on Amazon as well, where it's more likely WotC will see them.

Cheers
The Sage Posted - 25 Oct 2012 : 05:43:09
quote:

Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 25 Oct 2012 : 05:06:34
quote:

Well, if you like. We authorial types very much appreciate it.

Cheers
CorellonsDevout Posted - 25 Oct 2012 : 04:57:01
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 25 Oct 2012 : 04:55:13
quote:

I woke up to a pleasant surprise this very morn, Erik.
My Amazon order for Shadowbane: Eye of Justice finally went through and allowed for a successful purchase. That's right, I now have your new book!
Wizards e-books can now be purchased in Australia. Woot!
But before I read it, I'm taking your recent listing of the "Shadowbane Saga" into consideration, and starting from the very beginning with The Last Legend of Gedrin Shadowbane. I'll read through every work, again, before I get to S:EoJ.
Yay! Thanks for keeping me updated. I hope you enjoy!

Cheers
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 25 Oct 2012 : 04:53:18
quote:

I asked this before, but I don't know if you answered it or not. If you did, I apologize. You mentioned that you're writing the fourth one--or eigth, as the case may be?--Shadowbane, but with WotC focusing on the Sundering, you don't know when it will be published. But, the first Sundering novel doesn't come out til August, right? Or is it sooner than that?
As I understand it, the Sundering is planned for the second half of next year through the first half of the following year. So yeah, July or August, I suppose.

quote:
I know it takes a long time to write a book, but doesn't that give you, and maybe other authors, some room?
Well, I wrote the first draft of Downshadow in 12 days, so it doesn't always take a long time. But I won't rush this one.

In most cases it's actually the non-writing prep time that takes a long time. There's editing, rewrites, second pass editing, final revisions, copy editing, cover art generation, formatting, type-setting, printing, and then about a month just in case things go off a little. Usually, that's about a year, year and a half lead time for a novel. If WotC were to contract me for a novel tomorrow, then you could expect to see it come out at least a year and a half or two from now. So the longer it takes, the longer the wait.

Cheers
The Sage Posted - 25 Oct 2012 : 03:56:29
I woke up to a pleasant surprise this very morn, Erik.

My Amazon order for Shadowbane: Eye of Justice finally went through and allowed for a successful purchase. That's right, I now have your new book!

Wizards e-books can now be purchased in Australia. Woot!

But before I read it, I'm taking your recent listing of the "Shadowbane Saga" into consideration, and starting from the very beginning with The Last Legend of Gedrin Shadowbane. I'll read through every work, again, before I get to S:EoJ.
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 24 Oct 2012 : 06:25:37
quote:
Originally posted by skychrome

quote:

Chile, but I just saw that the available FR-ebooks for me on amazon.com increased from 4 to 5! And the new one is Eye of Justice!

send me an email with a list of books you can access, and I'll get your feedback to the powers that be.

Cheers
skychrome Posted - 24 Oct 2012 : 02:34:51
quote:

Areader Posted - 24 Oct 2012 : 02:26:47
Thanks for the speedy reply, Erik. I plan on buying Shadowbane from Amazon in the near future but I wanted to make sure I bought the best edition available.
Sightless Posted - 23 Oct 2012 : 23:34:26
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Sightless

Can't find anything on e-readers and audio/ reader functions. Just wanted you to know Errick
Now, back to work.
You got my email, yes?

quote:
Originally posted by Areader

Quick question: what's the "Shadowbane bundle" that Erik mentioned? And where could one purchase it?
Thanks.
It's included in the expanded Shadowbane ebook. Buy it from Amazon or B&N, and that's what you'll download.

Cheers

Yes i did, which is where my comment is coming from, my experience is that anything that goes audiobook isn't the whole novel. Just posted this here in case some folks knew something about e-readers I didn't.
CorellonsDevout Posted - 23 Oct 2012 : 23:02:28
Oh it is? Awesome! I still haven't finished Eye of Justice yet. Like Yoss, I have a lot on my to-read list.

I asked this before, but I don't know if you answered it or not. If you did, I apologize. You mentioned that you're writing the fourth one--or eigth, as the case may be?--Shadowbane, but with WotC focusing on the Sundering, you don't know when it will be published. But, the first Sundering novel doesn't come out til August, right? Or is it sooner than that? I know it takes a long time to write a book, but doesn't that give you, and maybe other authors, some room?
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 23 Oct 2012 : 21:34:28
quote:
Originally posted by Sightless

Can't find anything on e-readers and audio/ reader functions. Just wanted you to know Errick
Now, back to work.
You got my email, yes?

quote:
Originally posted by Areader

Quick question: what's the "Shadowbane bundle" that Erik mentioned? And where could one purchase it?
Thanks.
It's included in the expanded Shadowbane ebook. Buy it from Amazon or B&N, and that's what you'll download.

Cheers
Areader Posted - 23 Oct 2012 : 20:58:06

Thanks.
Sightless Posted - 23 Oct 2012 : 19:20:29

Now, back to work.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000