Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 The Many Starred Cloak/ Cloaktower?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
vorpalanvil Posted - 25 Sep 2012 : 08:24:09
I'm looking for cannon info on this location and order. I know I have seen a bit in the past but can't place it. My campaign is set in the early 1360's using 2ed. As I recall it is attached to the Harpers in some way or another, but had little luck in consulting "Code of the Harpers". Also, any mention in FR novels would be of great help. Thanks all!
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
The Masked Mage Posted - 26 Jan 2013 : 23:24:51
quote:
Originally posted by MayNovember

On page 134 of Volo's Guide to the North The Cloak Tower is discussed;

"At the spot where the Neverwinter River flows into the city stands the Cloaktower(42). This is the meeting place and citadel of the Many-Starred Cloak. Among the treasures known to reside within this warded and trapped seat of power is a wondrous magical device found in a Netherese ruin: Halavar#146;s Universal Pantograph.43 It reputedly can make two coins from one, or two swords where there was only one before!"

42This band of wizards is led by Eltoora Sarptyl (CG hf W16). It includes at least 15 wizards of 12th or higher level,
some of whom are secretly Harpers. Their strength is the only thing that keeps the Arcane Brotherhood of Luskan
from sweeping down with spells to conquer or enslave Neverwinter. On several occasions, members of the Cloak
have woven spells together that approach the lost 10th-level spells of Myth Drannor in power-sinking an island,
for example!
43This complex, room-sized item can magically duplicate metal items the size of a large throne or smaller. It can
copy swords, coins, and the like, but no incorporated gems or wood inlays. Neither can it copy anything that was
once living and became magically transformed into metal. It does make exact duplicates that even the most clever sage cannot tell from the original, even with both to examine. However, it cannot transfer or duplicate magical dweomers, so a magical long sword can be copied 40 times, but only the original will have any magical powers.
The means by which the Pantograph was enchanted have been forgotten and even what parts of it enact what
effects is not known. Attempts to dismantle it or even move it are highly likely to result in its ceasing to function forever. The Cloak members are very careful to duplicate only a few things on occasions of great necessity. They have no idea if the Pantograph#146;s magic is limited and could be depleted.

My mind never made the connection before seeing this. But The Pantograph is describe differently in Netheril, Empire of Magic...
vorpalanvil Posted - 29 Sep 2012 : 06:23:16
Thanks all. I knew that I had come across a little info in my library. I was just hoping that there might be a bit more out there.
MayNovember Posted - 28 Sep 2012 : 03:37:13
Also There's some information In The North Boxed set, under the entries on Neverwinter.
MayNovember Posted - 28 Sep 2012 : 03:31:48
Also from The NPC Appendix, referenced on Page 138, is this woman, who is proprietor of The Moonstone Mask.

OPHALA CHELDARSTORN (NG hf W14; DEX 17, INT
18, WIS 18, CHA 17). Ophala is the covert owner
and resident of the Moonstone Mask in Neverwinter.
She is an important, respected member
of the Many-Starred Cloak. She regards the
Harpers and Elminster of Shadowdale as her
friends, and the Arcane Brotherhood of Luskan
as her deadly foe. Her apprentices spend most
of their time magically spying on the Brotherhood
so that its spies and agents can be intercepted
and thwarted. Ophala had a brief but
perilous career adventuring on other planes,
but she has returned to stay. She worships Mystra
attentively, and the goddess has an eye on
her for elevation to the ranks of the Chosen,
though Ophala doesn#146;t suspect this. Through
her staff, Ophala learns much of what goes on
in the North, though she seldom reveals that
she#146;s learned it. She dreams of a peaceful
North, ruled by magic turned to good ends.
MayNovember Posted - 28 Sep 2012 : 03:27:07
On page 134 of Volo's Guide to the North The Cloak Tower is discussed;

"At the spot where the Neverwinter River flows into the city stands the Cloaktower(42). This is the meeting place and citadel of the Many-Starred Cloak. Among the treasures known to reside within this warded and trapped seat of power is a wondrous magical device found in a Netherese ruin: Halavar#146;s Universal Pantograph.43 It reputedly can make two coins from one, or two swords where there was only one before!"

42This band of wizards is led by Eltoora Sarptyl (CG hf W16). It includes at least 15 wizards of 12th or higher level,
some of whom are secretly Harpers. Their strength is the only thing that keeps the Arcane Brotherhood of Luskan
from sweeping down with spells to conquer or enslave Neverwinter. On several occasions, members of the Cloak
have woven spells together that approach the lost 10th-level spells of Myth Drannor in power-sinking an island,
for example!
43This complex, room-sized item can magically duplicate metal items the size of a large throne or smaller. It can
copy swords, coins, and the like, but no incorporated gems or wood inlays. Neither can it copy anything that was
once living and became magically transformed into metal. It does make exact duplicates that even the most clever sage cannot tell from the original, even with both to examine. However, it cannot transfer or duplicate magical dweomers, so a magical long sword can be copied 40 times, but only the original will have any magical powers.
The means by which the Pantograph was enchanted have been forgotten and even what parts of it enact what
effects is not known. Attempts to dismantle it or even move it are highly likely to result in its ceasing to function forever. The Cloak members are very careful to duplicate only a few things on occasions of great necessity. They have no idea if the Pantograph#146;s magic is limited and could be depleted.

TBeholder Posted - 25 Sep 2012 : 10:27:44
Candlekeep's big index suggests "The North" for mentions of the order itself.
Didn't "Wizards & Rogues of the Realms" have an entry for wizards from Neverwinter, though?

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000