Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 How up to date are you with reading FR novels? [2]

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
The Sage Posted - 25 May 2011 : 01:47:55
The old scroll [one of our oldest, in fact] has now reached one-hundred pages. It's usually good net-etiquette to start anew once a thread reaches that point, so I thought it best to do so now, with this particular discussion scroll.

Thus, heeding the words of the wise and long-time scribe, Lord Rad:-
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Rad

Just wondered how far though your Realms novel collection you all are, as in how many you have read. Also, what is everyone reading at the moment?
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Erikor Posted - 01 May 2022 : 01:32:26
quote:
Originally posted by Enthusior

My database counts 298 novels, 286 of which were available in print.

I have completed my collection last year. All paperbacks and but a few of the early Drizzt titles as hardcover.

Due to a drastic change of direction in my life, I am actually trying to sell the collection off in the coming year. But I haven't the first idea how to get started and what price would be appropiate. Any guidance? Additional challenge: I don't live in the States, but Germany.

Is anyone familiar with market places suited to help me find another soul with a heart for these books? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Picture of paperbacks here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/p8bdb0ycyb33i98/sc.jpg?dl=0
Sorted by series first, then by order of publication.

If you still got stuff to sell I'm interested in Azure Bonds trilogy, Elfshadow (Song and swords) series, the Erevis Cale books and The Brimstone Angels series.
Artemas Entreri Posted - 20 Feb 2022 : 17:27:26
quote:

I have completed my collection last year. All paperbacks and but a few of the early Drizzt titles as hardcover.

Due to a drastic change of direction in my life, I am actually trying to sell the collection off in the coming year. But I haven't the first idea how to get started and what price would be appropiate. Any guidance? Additional challenge: I don't live in the States, but Germany.

Is anyone familiar with market places suited to help me find another soul with a heart for these books? Any help is greatly appreciated.

If you have a paperback copy of Fire in the Blood in great condition without any spine creasing then I'd be interested in buying it from you.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 29 Dec 2021 : 22:14:57
quote:

Thanks for the suggestions! :)

@Wooly: So here on the forums isn't a good place?

Oh, you can try here, too. You'll reach a wider audience, though, in some of the Facebook groups or on eBay.
Enthusior Posted - 29 Dec 2021 : 19:19:15
Thanks for the suggestions! :)

@Wooly: So here on the forums isn't a good place?
Wooly Rupert Posted - 29 Dec 2021 : 18:21:13
quote:

I'd suggest Nobleknight.com, eBay, and any of the FR Facebook groups.
HardKano Posted - 29 Dec 2021 : 17:49:09
quote:

Sad to hear that you need to sell your collection. I'm building mine for over 10 years with few breaks. i'm at 256 uniques novels with a total of 340 (reeditions and omnibus/collector's edition) https://photos.app.goo.gl/QYfZXhyp1V6kk5ws6

If you want to sell it as a whole i guess you can do it on ebay or any second market places like facebook. Or try to create a post here or on any dedicated fanclub group on FB

If you want to split the collection i can list you what series i'm missing and we can look how much it cost for the shipping to Canada. Send me a private message then. I just odered some from UK and it cost below 10$ CAD for the shipping.
Enthusior Posted - 29 Dec 2021 : 17:19:13

Artemas Entreri Posted - 14 May 2021 : 02:13:25
As of right now I've read 283 out of 296 Realms novels. So close!
mnb128 Posted - 06 Jan 2021 : 21:59:01
243 books and counting for me. However, I've been sitting on that number for 7+ years. I've read every short story and novel, chronologically, but stopped when I got to the Abyssal Plague novels. (There are a few, new short stories that have come out in the new Dragon+ magazines that are pre-Abyssal Plague that I haven't read yet.) Being a nerd I wanted to read the earlier Dark Sun novels and base D&D novels leading up to the Abyssal Plague, since those two worlds are tied into the Abyssal Plague as well, before continuing. However, that just never happened. I've recently gotten back into the Dark Sun books, so my continuation of The Realms is probably in my near future.

Along the way, there was some really fantastic reading and some really...um...not so fantastic reading.

However, Elaine Cunningham and Paul S. Kemp were always fantastic. I enjoyed all of the Drizzt novels but some far more than others.

There are a few authors that I did not enjoy under any circumstances, and there were those that kept me guessing as to whether I would love their next installment or, well, I don't like to use the word, but you know what the opposite of love is. That said, I don't regret the time I spent reading a single book.

Since the Haunted Lands books have been brought up recently in this thread, I'll say I'm typically not very interested in books about the undead. The zombie thing has been heavily played out for me. I didn't love the first book, but I felt that each successive book in the series got better. The follow-up series, Brotherhood of the Griffon was excellent, in my opinion, and I'm sad that there will likely never be a sixth book.

Some of my favorite 'series' weren't really a series. 'The Citadels,' 'The Dungeons,' and 'The Fighters' were all great, and several of the books in each either setup or have tie-ins to other novels.

Now that I'm writing about it, I'm starting to miss my time in The Realms. I think I'll have to visit again soon.

Seravin Posted - 28 Apr 2020 : 10:09:04
I really hated the Haunted Lands books. So many problems with them, not just because of what they brought in (re 4edition changes). Just not a fun, feel good read; none of the characters grabbed me and I felt all the Zulkirs were written by someone who didn't understand Thay or the characters motivations and backgrounds. Turns out RLB didn't bother to read The Simbul's Gift which was perfect in its characterization of the Zulkirs. I think it should be mandatory in a shared setting to read what has already been published regarding the focus of your novel so you can be consistent. But again, what do I know?
Wooly Rupert Posted - 27 Apr 2020 : 18:46:37
quote:
Originally posted by Delnyn

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

For the first time since the Sundering books came out, I'm reading new (to me!) Realms novels. I picked up the first two Haunted Lands books when they came out, but missed the third. I recently found it for a song on eBay and jumped on it; now I can finally read the books I've heard so much about.

I read the first Haunted Lands book, but it didn't grab me as much as I had hoped. I got onto a tangent and read the Manticore Ascendant books (the first Honorverse stuff I've read), but now I'm done with those books. Not sure if I'm going to immediately resume the Haunted Lands books or not.

You are not missing much with the other two Haunted Lands books. I kept thinking to myself, "So why does Bane not simply rein in Szass Tam?" Not a good sign when an impending RSE works on the reader as a no-save sleep spell.

I've seen a lot of praise for those books, but the first one jsut didn't do anything for me... I've wandered off into other reading areas and haven't even considered picking that trilogy back up.
Delnyn Posted - 27 Apr 2020 : 15:56:29
quote:

quote:

For the first time since the Sundering books came out, I'm reading new (to me!) Realms novels. I picked up the first two Haunted Lands books when they came out, but missed the third. I recently found it for a song on eBay and jumped on it; now I can finally read the books I've heard so much about.

I read the first Haunted Lands book, but it didn't grab me as much as I had hoped. I got onto a tangent and read the Manticore Ascendant books (the first Honorverse stuff I've read), but now I'm done with those books. Not sure if I'm going to immediately resume the Haunted Lands books or not.

You are not missing much with the other two Haunted Lands books. I kept thinking to myself, "So why does Bane not simply rein in Szass Tam?" Not a good sign when an impending RSE works on the reader as a no-save sleep spell.
Captain Grafalcon Posted - 27 Apr 2020 : 15:35:49
I finished Joe Abrecrombie's The First Law trilogy. I would like to thank this reading suggestion of many of you over the years. My impressions are that the trilogy is very good, and has captivating and charismatic characters. However, I feel that throughout the books, the characters have abruptly transformed themselves far beyond what was proposed.
Delnyn Posted - 20 Oct 2019 : 16:21:05
I finished Boundless last week. It's weird to juxtapose Entreri, Jarlaxle and especially Yvonnel Baenre from this novel and Timeless, to their original appearances in the Icewind Dale and Dark Elf trilogoes. That, and what makes retrievers supposedly so unstoppable?
Wooly Rupert Posted - 26 Mar 2019 : 18:54:33
quote:

Bladesinger Posted - 26 Mar 2019 : 18:45:50
So far I've read 141 novels and that's the number I've been sitting on since 2007. I stopped reading after 4e was released (actually, after I read the last parts about the future in the grand history of the realms). Anyway, I just decided to continue where I left off after 10+ years so I just purchased whatever was currently in print. Now comes the task of scouring second hand sellers to find all the missing books from the last decade!
Wooly Rupert Posted - 08 Mar 2019 : 04:32:39
charger_ss24 Posted - 25 Apr 2018 : 16:42:10
My step-son just finished reading all the books involving Cale, Drasek and company and we would talk about what happened in the books after the chapters he read. We really enjoyed that and he loves the forgotten realms.

Once he finishes reading the Hunger Games trilogy, he will start in with the Drizzt saga. I just finished reading the Dark Elf Trilogy to refresh my memory so we can talk about the chapters he reads.
Rogue Bard Posted - 25 Jun 2017 : 22:58:30
quote:
Originally posted by youtoo

re: salvatore's nuances, i know it's supposed to give drizzt depth and everything, but i can't stand the italicized text that are supposed to represent his inner thoughts, or his journal.

they're just so repetitive. yes, comes from the underdark, father struggled with nature, so did/does drizzt, questions morality and hard choices he's made... i know i'm supposed to like it but i find myself flipping through those parts all the time.

I've seen my share of bad writing, and this is a good example. That being said, overall I enjoyed the Dark Elf Trilogy, and there's lots to love about Salvatore's writing style that for me at least offsets that aspect of it. I like how he describes battles, use of magic, e.g., and he's great at characterization and worldbuilding. He really brought the Underdark and Icewind Dale alive for me. Incidentally, my copy of the Icewind Dale Trilogy is riddled with typos... but that's really the editor's fault, regardless of whether or not they originated with the author.

As to the OP's question, I am woefully behind in my reading, and that goes for all of the books I want to read, but especially as concerns FR novels. Aside from the ones I've already mentioned in this post, I've only read Elminster: The Making of a Mage about halfway through, and the first few pages of The Orc King.
youtoo Posted - 15 Mar 2017 : 18:35:09
re: salvatore's nuances, i know it's supposed to give drizzt depth and everything, but i can't stand the italicized text that are supposed to represent his inner thoughts, or his journal.

they're just so repetitive. yes, comes from the underdark, father struggled with nature, so did/does drizzt, questions morality and hard choices he's made... i know i'm supposed to like it but i find myself flipping through those parts all the time.
HardKano Posted - 30 Sep 2015 : 00:40:18
quote:
Originally posted by Artemas Entreri
Salvatore's stories are entertaining, but he has several writing choices that really drive me crazy.

Next time you read one of his books count the times he uses the phrase "with abandon" in his sentences. Drives me crazy.

Sorry for the late reply ! That's my new daddy' life fault :P

Sure thing i'll watch over it :) Next book in Salvatore stories is Gautlgrym. Probably next year ... now i'll try to read books around Nanowrimo. Bought Terry Brooks (Sometimes the magic works) one and 2 from Athans (Writing monsters & The Guide to writing Fantasy & Science Fiction)
MordenGrey Posted - 17 Sep 2015 : 17:52:57
Last three I read...The Lady of Poison by Bruce Cordell, The War of the Spider Queen Series (Various Authors) and the Abolethic Sovereignty. (Bruce Cordell)
-Also, Darkwalker on Moonshae (I saw a post up there about it and decided to comment)
WotC released it again a while back, I was working at B&N at the time and bought 'The First Trilogy in the Forgotten Realms'. I read through the whole series, thinking that Daryth--is incredibly similar to Drizzt. Later, I read the forward by RA Salvatore in Darkwalker on Moonshae...and lo and behold, he wrote a sample work for the Crystal Shard with Daryth and Canthus (who were later changed to Drizzt and Gwynevar).
RA Salvatore is 50% responsible for the creation of the most beloved Dark Elf in Faerun, I have to give the other 50% to Douglas Niles. If you read the Darkwalker trilogy first, and then the Dark Elf stuff, it will feel a little like a ripoff...if you read the Dark Elf stuff first (and because Drizzt is far more popular than Daryth ever will be) I imagine people will say that Daryth was just inspiration. I felt it was inspiration on Salvatore's part until I got tired of how conflicted Drizzt was all the time. At times he's the Hunter, other times he's a pacifist.
I haven't read past the tales with Obould.
Drizzt...or rather Salvatore...pushed my last button when someone decided to keep Twinkle over a blade that could not only make itself look like Twinkle--but could cut through damn near anything.
But, he's a renowned author, I'm not...so kudos to him.
swifty Posted - 15 Sep 2015 : 10:15:04
Just started reading the companions.did anyone else see the similarity to the movie the invisible.
Thieran Posted - 30 Aug 2015 : 14:04:58
quote:
Originally posted by Thieran

Just finished The Companions, liked it even better than The Last Threshold.

Let me see... Since my last post (a long time ago), I have read all of the Sundering novels and Rise of the King, and I am now waiting for Vengeance of the Iron Dwarf and Fire in the Blood to arrive in tomorrow's mail.
I very much liked The Godborn (though one could notice easily that it was way too much story for one book - no surprise given that it should have covered a whole trilogy) and The Adversary, the other three Sundering books less so - and I have to say I was a bit disappointed by its supposed conclusion The Herald (again, too much story for one book, amongst other things).
Still, I am looking forward to Spellstorm and Throne of the Dead (not to forget Archmage and Ashes of the Tyrant) though I will wait for all those to be published in paperback.
sonofsaline Posted - 04 May 2015 : 20:47:57
I had bought a few Realms novels when I was in high school, starting with the first, Darkwalker on Moonshae. For some reason I never got around to reading them, and then got rid of them. Since the beginning of this year I have been buying off of eBay and Amazon, and I have about 85% of all of the Realms novels now. I have read the Moonshae trilogy, the Icewind Dale trilogy, and am on Spellfire. It is exciting to think of reading the whole series, which is now almost 300 books. I have rediscovered my love of fantasy that I had as a teenager.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 22 Apr 2015 : 16:52:09
quote:
Originally posted by Iahn Qoyllor

I'm trying to read all of the Realms novels and I'm just finishing number 211 at the moment. I love Ed Greenwood's characters and imagination, however am I the only one who struggles to finish any books of his?

I love his world-building, but his fiction does not work for me. Though, like Artemas, I did find Elminster's Daughter to be considerably more enjoyable than the prior Elminster books.
Artemas Entreri Posted - 22 Apr 2015 : 14:53:28
quote:
Originally posted by Iahn Qoyllor

I'm trying to read all of the Realms novels and I'm just finishing number 211 at the moment. I love Ed Greenwood's characters and imagination, however am I the only one who struggles to finish any books of his?

There have been a few of his books that I kind of skimmed through just to finish. However, I just read Elminster's Daughter and thought it was great compared to the few Elminster books that came before it.
Iahn Qoyllor Posted - 22 Apr 2015 : 13:36:36
Artemas Entreri Posted - 13 Mar 2015 : 14:29:09
quote:
Originally posted by HardKano

I've seen the difference in the writing type when i read all Drizzt books until ghost king. There is a great evolution in Salvatore's writing over the years :) I have every book after Ghost King signed but yet unread :P

Salvatore's stories are entertaining, but he has several writing choices that really drive me crazy.

Next time you read one of his books count the times he uses the phrase "with abandon" in his sentences. Drives me crazy.
HardKano Posted - 13 Mar 2015 : 11:00:44
I've seen the difference in the writing type when i read all Drizzt books until ghost king. There is a great evolution in Salvatore's writing over the years :) I have every book after Ghost King signed but yet unread :P

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000