Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Book Club
 Shadowbane: Eye of Justice Book Club

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 04 Sep 2012 : 21:45:26
This is a general book club discussion thread for asking questions about the book. If there are spoilers, mark your post as such--say, "SPOILERS FOR CHAPTER XX!" where XX is the chapter the question comes up.

The difference between this thread and the one in the novels section is that this is specifically a BOOK CLUB thread, where I assume you will have read at least part of the novel.

We might disperse into more threads at some point, but the book club is a little unwieldy for that at the moment.

Cheers
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 18 Sep 2021 : 02:19:20
quote:
Originally posted by Copper Elven Vampire

Please, please, please just write another story featuring Fox-At-Twilight, even if it's on PDF and cost money. If she isn't already dead by 1499 DR I'd love to know how the Shadowdancer rogue and her shadow companion are doing.

She's definitely not dead.

Come watch my campaign on Wednesday evenings at twitch.tv/dungeonscrawlers
Copper Elven Vampire Posted - 25 Jul 2020 : 02:22:52
Please, please, please just write another story featuring Fox-At-Twilight, even if it's on PDF and cost money. If she isn't already dead by 1499 DR I'd love to know how the Shadowdancer rogue and her shadow companion are doing.
BenN Posted - 08 Jan 2020 : 01:01:13
Fantastic!
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 08 Jan 2020 : 00:12:56
All those questions will be answered in the Westgate irregulars campaign, which launches tomorrow, and she’ll feature in the very first episode.

Http://Dungeonscrawlers.com
BenN Posted - 08 Jan 2020 : 00:10:06
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie
Ilira's past hasn't been revealed, but it has been CLAIMED that she used to be a servant of Shar--specifically, an assassin called Shadowfox. This would have been during the quiet century, which was *after* Ilira served Erevan actively as a divine seeker. This may or may not be true.

I will say that a particularly dark tragedy did happen in Ilira's past, ending her adventuring career and *perhaps* pushing her into Shar's arms for a time. But that's a story for another time.

Hey Erik, one thing I would really love is to see new novels featuring Ilira - what she's up to in the present-day Realms, but also about her 'missing' past, e.g. was she really a Netherese assassin?

Also, does she feature in your Westgate Irregulars storyline? She's one of my favourite Realms characters by any author.
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 07 Jan 2020 : 15:51:01
Oh man, this thread................... probably contains a lot of hints about my Westgate Irregulars campaign that's launches tomorrow. Ahem!
Markustay Posted - 23 Feb 2017 : 02:44:04
Finally picked this up today on Amazon (and I had to jump through hoops, because I DON'T own a Kindle, and in order to get the Kindle reader they want your cell number, which I NEVER give out).

Anyhow, only up to chapter three, and so far so good. I'll post a review on Amazon when I'm done.

quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

Spoilers Chap 1-3
Man..I think I have a new favorite Realms character.
Yaeshl the Ripper....it took Shadowbane and Fox to fell him!
You liked that guy, did you? I wonder if that was intentional.

quote:
How did Fox's rapier render him unconscious(didnt Fox take his pulse and say she thought he'd make it?) without the tip touching him?
In short, shadow magic.

In long, there's a particular power old school 4e assassins (the shadow-wielding sort, not the executioner build) that harms with the shadow of the blade, rather than the blade itself. It's called "Inescapable Blade." And that's what she used in this instance.

quote:
Hopefully we haven't seen the last of Yaeshl and Old Man Tay.
They're very minor characters (and might be dead after that scene), so I don't leave much room in the rest of the novel for them to show up again, but never say never!

Ohhhhh, Erik... you made me a BAD GUY.

And here I thought I was going to be some kindly and helpful sage...

Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 28 Dec 2013 : 16:32:14
Well met, HS!

quote:
Originally posted by huskyshops

Fayne is supposedly a feyri but is the daughter of two gold elves- specifically lilten and cythara. Moreover, ilira is hated by fayne for killing Cythara something that lead to the death of yldar as well- yet cythara was the one referred to as the demoness. What am I missing here- how is Fayne a feyri?
This hasn't been fully revealed yet, so this isn't a complete answer. As far as we know, Cythara is just a sun elf--a demon priestess but still mortal. Lilten, however, is far from a mere sun elf. His full name, as used by Ilira in SB:EOJ, is Lilianviaten Dlardrageth, which is the name of a certain ancient house of Daemonfey, and he himself talks about being thousands of years old, his childhood in Siluvanede, etc, see chapter eight. Meaning that he is probably either a feyri or a full on half-fiend sun elf (not entirely clear). So any child of his could certainly be a feyri.

Cheers
huskyshops Posted - 28 Dec 2013 : 09:08:41
Erik:

Thanks for taking the time to answer questions. Fayne is supposedly a feyri but is the daughter of two gold elves- specifically lilten and cythara. Moreover, ilira is hated by fayne for killing Cythara something that lead to the death of yldar as well- yet cythara was the one referred to as the demoness. What am I missing here- how is Fayne a feyri?

Thanks!
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 16 Dec 2013 : 19:15:16
Hi geok1ng,

I think you're referring to Sithe in SHADOWBANE? One of my favorite characters.

I'm glad you enjoyed it. Indeed, Sharrans play some small role in the books, and they're an aspect I really liked writing.

If you want to read the full series, check out my website for a reading order.

Cheers
geok1ng Posted - 16 Dec 2013 : 18:52:06
I congratule eric scott de brie for the excellent work on shadowbane and to a lesser degree, eye of justice. You really did great with the dialogue between shadowbane and the shar follower. It is always a trick subject to bring a religion background to define a character but the result was nothing short of amazing. please forgive me if i was sceptical on the future of shadowbane after the first novel, but now i am looking forward for the sequel. keep up the good work and make us feel elated again. "my faith is stronger than yours" is the new motto.
Fellfire Posted - 22 Oct 2013 : 10:05:02
Thanks, Eric.
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 22 Oct 2013 : 07:40:35
The initial 4e Assassin class release in Dragon 379. It's a D&D Insider exclusive, mostly accessible through the 4e character builder.

Cheers
Fellfire Posted - 22 Oct 2013 : 03:05:04
Quote:

In long, there's a particular power old school 4e assassins (the shadow-wielding sort, not the executioner build) that harms with the shadow of the blade, rather than the blade itself. It's called "Inescapable Blade." And that's what she used in this instance.

Source?
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 14 Apr 2013 : 20:14:59
Great theories, Gyor! I hope you'll forgive me if I can neither confirm not deny.

Glad you enjoy! If you haven't checked out all the supplemental Shadowbane material available, check out http://erikscottdebie.com/Shadowbane

Regarding Kirenkirsalai, I wrote a Backdrop: Westgate article for WotC a few months back, which I hope will be published on DDI eventually. It has more to reveal on the subject.

A couple teasing replies:

Spoilers for the both Shadowbane and SBEOJ to follow!

quote:
Originally posted by Gyor

I'm totally on Myrin's side on the issue of Kalen. I'm on Ilra's side and hope she gets the Myrin.
Well, in my work no one really "gets the girl" because no one is just a prize to be won. But yeah, at the end of SB: EOJ, Myrin is definitely with Ilira, not with Kalen.

quote:
Kalen can have his mentor.
And she carries such a torch for him, too! I'm not sure he feels that way about her, but who knows as time unfolds?

quote:
I hope to see Shalis' powers in action during one of Myrin's stolen memories as a Celebrant of Sharess I'm curious how her powers work in action,does she channel them like a Cleric, a Bard, or a Warlock?
Depends what edition we're talking, but she's mostly like a bard. That whole configuration of characters would be fun to explore.

quote:
Although I'm surprised you had Shalis as a Mulan as I would think Glorious Sevitors of Bast would be more common in Mulan, where as Celebrants of Sharess along with Dancers of Sharess and Mystic Wonders would be more common on the Sword Coast.
That was purposeful, actually, because Bast and Sharess are basically the same goddess. Shalis grew up venerating Bast by that name but when she moved to Faerun, she found her goddess waiting by a different name.

quote:
I also like how you use Myrin's memory stealing to explore other characters including those who are already dead.
It's a unique opportunity that I love taking advantage of. Myrin has a big backstory, and I don't know if we'll see all of it. She's every bit as experienced and storied as Ilira ever was as the Fox-at-Twilight, and every bit as mysterious.

quote:
Another guess Myrin's former doppelganger lover was the originally Night Mask leader, who didn't die after all, but fled instead before the guy with the mask (forget his name) came along to lead the Night Masks before it was taken over by vampire Manshoon.
Perhaps. The concept for Umbra actually originates from an actual campaign where I played Myrin (in her former incarnation) as a PC. He was a pretty neat (and deadly) character.

quote:
Just a thought, but the three fold god reminds me of the Dupari idea of the Adama which is the Godhead which all the Gods are part of.

Could Gedrin has borrowed a warped verson of Adama?
Quite possible. The Threefold God is kind of a 4e Triad, which is a concept that's been around a long time.

We don't know Gedrin's backstory that well, though one can extrapolate who his mother was (someone of import). His father is a mystery.

quote:
Also I'm assuming that Vindicator is a Holy Avenger, so perhaps any Paladin (or Avenger) can use it?
Similar concept, not the same mechanics. In 4e terms, Vindicator is a powerful Vigilant Blade. As we've seen, it can be used by people of various alignments, seemingly molding itself and its powers to that cause. The unifying traits appear to be powerful religious faith and a focus on retributive action (justice, vengeance, mercy, etc).

quote:
I love the Ebook format and I especially like how in Shadowbane they really used the medium to its advantage with samples from other novels and the bonus short story. I read SBEOJ in McDonalds beside a mock fireplace drink soda :D

Glad it works for you. It wasn't actually my choice to go ebook-only--WotC sprang that on me after the books were already written. And while the sales figures are lower than print-also books, they've been steady and increasing. Ebooks are here to stay.

Cheers
Gyor Posted - 13 Apr 2013 : 23:28:34
Spoilers for the both Shadowbane and SBEOJ

Okay awesome novels.

First guess Kire is really Neveren, after all Neveren I believe was one of those who fought the vampire night masks so it makes sense he could have been bitten.

My guess is the duel between Neveren and Ilra was after he became a vampire and Shalis blamed Ilra at one time for getting Neveren invovled in the fight with the nightmasks.

Two I'm totally on Myrin's side on the issue of Kalen. I'm on Ilra's side and hope she gets the Myrin. Kalen can have his mentor.

I hope to see Shalis' powers in action during one of Myrin's stolen memories as a Celebrant of Sharess I'm curious how her powers work in action,does she channel them like a Cleric, a Bard, or a Warlock?

Although I'm surprised you had Shalis as a Mulan as I would think Glorious Sevitors of Bast would be more common in Mulan, where as Celebrants of Sharess along with Dancers of Sharess and Mystic Wonders would be more common on the Sword Coast.

I also like how you use Myrin's memory stealing to explore other characters including those who are already dead.

Another guess Myrin's former doppelganger lover was the originally Night Mask leader, who didn't die after all, but fled instead before the guy with the mask (forget his name) came along to lead the Night Masks before it was taken over by vampire Manshoon.

Just a thought, but the three fold god reminds me of the Dupari idea of the Adama which is the Godhead which all the Gods are part of.

Could Gedrin has borrowed a warped verson of Adama?

Also I'm assuming that Vindicator is a Holy Avenger, so perhaps any Paladin (or Avenger) can use it?

I love the Ebook format and I especially like how in Shadowbane they really used the medium to its advantage with samples from other novels and the bonus short story. I read SBEOJ in McDonalds beside a mock fireplace drink soda :D
Tanthalas Posted - 16 Dec 2012 : 17:12:44
Thanks for the explanations.
Thauranil Posted - 15 Dec 2012 : 14:53:25
Ahhh thanks for the Spoilers warning. Leaving scroll now.
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 14 Dec 2012 : 23:04:25
Hail and well met, all!

Before I get to Tanthalas's questions, let me clarify something: The Shadowbane saga is not a trilogy. It's an ongoing series that will go on as long as you guys enjoy the books and keep calling for them. If you feel strongly about it and want to support the ongoing series, check out some simple steps you can take to show your support (only one of which actually involves buying copies): http://erikscottdebie.com/shadowbane/support-shadowbane-2/

SPOILERS abound

quote:
Originally posted by Tanthalas

In Shadowbane I really liked how Kalen got Vindicator back. I was getting worried that he would never wield it again.
Glad you liked how that went down. Kalen's faith is a constant struggle for him, and how he relates to Vindicator is a barometer of where he is on his path. He voluntarily relinquishes it at the end of the book, but that doesn't mean he won't wield it again. As Myrin said to him in the previous novel, the sword chose Kalen, and he can no more run from it than he can survive without breathing.

quote:
I admit that at one point during Eye of Justice my head was spinning trying to figure out who was on which side. While I was reading I couldn't figure out which "chess" pieces represented which character.
That was indeed purposeful--I hope it became clear in the end. One way of reading it is that the white sorceress is Myrin, the white knight Kalen, the black reaver Ilira, the white jester Brace, the white priestess Levia, the black sorcerer Hessar, and then the black knight Vengeance and the white bladesinger Rujia. Though you COULD see Kalen as the black knight and Mercy as the white knight. It's a metaphor, really.

(Easter egg: See how the reaver is described just before part three: anyone notice how it resembles a certain D&D mini? That's the mini I use to represent Ilira when I use her as a NPC in my game.)

quote:
I'm with Kalen, I hope Hoar isn't the third part of the three-fold god.
It remains to be seen, I suppose. The Threefold God is a heresy, but there seems to be some truth to it. It's a kind of triad for 4e. The matters of the gods are supposed to be above human comprehension--it's really all about what the individual mortals believe.

quote:
I kind of agree that I think the enmities at the end of the book seemed a bit forced. I can see why there's problems between Ilira and Kalen
Ilira's enmity toward Kalen actually has more to do with her than with him. She has a vast pool of self-loathing and generalized rage, and Kalen makes a convenient target for it.

quote:
but I didn't like how Rhett started to hate what Kalen had become so much that he would kill them in their next confrontation.
Well, in the heat of the moment, we often say things we really don't mean, and I'd hesitate to ascribe hatred to Rhett. It was more like he was totally broken hearted and assuring Kalen that it would be his duty to destroy him if they had to fight. I don't think Rhett hates Kalen, partly because . . .

quote:
I'm not sure if this is the right interpretation, but did Rhett kind of worship Kalen like some kind of righteous hero
Absolutely that's correct. Rhett has a severe case of hero-worship for Kalen, and that scene in the inn when Kalen unleashed his full fury on Vaelis violently ended Rhett's belief in Kalen's perfection.

quote:
and was then shocked to see his brutality when facing Vhaelis, and its part of this shock that makes him say that he would kill Valen the next time they met?
Kinda.

Here's how I explained it to another reader. Picture this: Luke Skywalker (good-hearted young hero) sees Obi-Wan Kenobi (beloved mentor who can do no wrong) facing Darth Vader (his former apprentice turned to evil). Instead of seeing Obi-Wan sacrifice himself to protect his friends, instead he channels the dark side and brutally hacks Darth Vader to pieces, hesitating to kill him only when Luke himself shouts "No!" See how that works?

quote:
During Eye of Justice (and with the events in Shadowbane) Kalen tells Levia that he's no longer a Paladin. Is this true? Personally, I'm hoping for some kind of redemption where he gets his Paladin powers back (or where he at least starts considering himself a Paladin again).
Mechanically, Kalen is an Avenger (a 4e class) which is similar to a paladin but notably less noble and more focused on inflicting punishment. This isn't necessarily the way he will stay, and redemption is a huge thing in my books. Keep reading!

quote:
Just one final question: I know a bit about the history of the Night Masks from looking around the internet, but are there any novels that people should have read to understand a bit more about the backstory of Westgate?
I suggest Azure Bonds and Masquerades (both by Jeff Grubb) as well as the 2e sourcebook "Cloak and Dagger" and the 3.x books Lords of Darkness and Champions of Ruin.

quote:
While I was reading this scroll it also looked like there was some additional info out there about Ilira (I know that there's the Fox-at-Twilight chapbooks mentioned in Downshadow, but are those chapbook stories available for us (the reader) to read?
They exist in my head at the moment. Maybe someday I'll write them.

The closest we come at the moment is Depths of Madness, which covers the events depicted in the chapbook "Fox in the Anauroch."

Cheers
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 14 Dec 2012 : 07:30:54
Tanthalas, I want you to know I will be getting to your questions when I get a chance!

Cheers
Tanthalas Posted - 11 Dec 2012 : 18:04:24
I've just finished reading Shadowbane and Eye of Justice (and the extra side-stories).

Some comments:

SPOILERS
SPOILERS
SPOILERS

In Shadowbane I really liked how Kalen got Vindicator back. I was getting worried that he would never wield it again.

I admit that at one point during Eye of Justice my head was spinning trying to figure out who was on which side. While I was reading I couldn't figure out which "chess" pieces represented which character.

I'm with Kalen, I hope Hoar isn't the third part of the three-fold god.

I kind of agree that I think the enmities at the end of the book seemed a bit forced. I can see why there's problems between Ilira and Kalen, but I didn't like how Rhett started to hate what Kalen had become so much that he would kill them in their next confrontation. I'm not sure if this is the right interpretation, but did Rhett kind of worship Kalen like some kind of righteous hero and was then shocked to see his brutality when facing Vhaelis, and its part of this shock that makes him say that he would kill Valen the next time they met? It still seems kind of harsh.

During Eye of Justice (and with the events in Shadowbane) Kalen tells Levia that he's no longer a Paladin. Is this true? Personally, I'm hoping for some kind of redemption where he gets his Paladin powers back (or where he at least starts considering himself a Paladin again).

Just one final question: I know a bit about the history of the Night Masks from looking around the internet, but are there any novels that people should have read to understand a bit more about the backstory of Westgate? While I was reading this scroll it also looked like there was some additional info out there about Ilira (I know that there's the Fox-at-Twilight chapbooks mentioned in Downshadow, but are those chapbook stories available for us (the reader) to read?
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 28 Sep 2012 : 18:54:14
Answers below:

SPOILERS
SPOILERS
SPOILERS

quote:
Originally posted by Lilianviaten

#1 - Have you and Ed coordinated at all on your storylines? The book details Manshoon's takeover of the Night Masks and alludes to his current adventures in Cormyr. Also, with what appears to be the interaction of Shar and Mystra, albeit indirectly, I figured you guys might have discussed that.
I have Ed's personal email and he and I have discussed numerous matters related to Shadowbane on occasion. In particular, Myrin and her significance in the greater picture. So yes, there are plans swirling around.

My technique of writing in the Realms actively puts in references to other works in the setting--for instance, the assortment of chapbooks in Downshadow, the discussion of the Five Captains and the history of Luskan in Shadowbane, the Mask Dance in the "Heir of Shadowbane" e-story (which you should read if you haven't!), or a discussion of the Night Masks in Westgate, etc. Elaine actually wrote a piece of poetry I attributed to Danilo Thann in Downshadow. Some of that comes from working with other authors directly, and some of it is just admiration of their work.

quote:
#2 - What exactly did Halaster do to Myrin? Ilira assures her that she's a real person, and not a construct of any sort. But Fayne assured her in Downshadow that she is a goddess. Lilten and Kirenkirsalai seem to be the only ones who really know what she is.
This hasn't been revealed/sorted out yet, so I'll tip-toe around the issue. Fayne *joked* with Myrin that she was a goddess or--more accurately--had part of a goddess in her. Myrin *is* a real person (as confirmed by the fact that she had an early life, even if she doesn't remember it). Halaster was somehow involved in her early life, but not in the way it might seem.

And I would go out on a limb to say that while Kire and Lilten (and now Ilira and Myrin herself) all know WHO Myrin is, only Lilten actually knows WHAT she is.

quote:
#3 - Why do so many servants of Shar appear to be working at cross ends?
For exactly the reasons you express. In the Realms, everyone knows that the gods exist, everyone worships the gods, and everyone thinks they know what the gods want (but no one really does except the gods). There are lots of ways of serving them, and mortals are constantly grinding against each other in their zeal to serve the ends of the same gods. Let's see if we can't pase some of these loyalties.

quote:
Kirenkirsalai worships Shar and wants to capture Myrin.
Kire doesn't really do more than pay lip service to Shar, if that. He's out for himself and is pursuing Myrin for his own ends.

quote:
Hessar, despite being a somewhat flippant servant, at least worked for Shar at some point. He wants to capture Myrin also.
Hessar seemed to have betrayed Shar's worship to some degree, by his own admission.
Hessar is a tough nut to crack, but it's true, his loyalties are to himself first, Shar second, Netheril third. He isn't really all that interested in Myrin--his main priority is serving (or at least appearing to serve) Kirenkirsalai. He ultimately tries to kill Myrin in order to keep Kire from getting what he wants, and also because he really, really hates her for humiliating him. He does have a history with Ilira, presumably from when (he claims) she served Netheril. See below!

quote:
Ilira vigorously opposes them, despite being a servant of Netheril (she doesn't really appear to worship Shar though; doesn't she worship Erevan Ilesere?).
Ilira's past hasn't been revealed, but it has been CLAIMED that she used to be a servant of Shar--specifically, an assassin called Shadowfox. This would have been during the quiet century, which was *after* Ilira served Erevan actively as a divine seeker. This may or may not be true.

I will say that a particularly dark tragedy did happen in Ilira's past, ending her adventuring career and *perhaps* pushing her into Shar's arms for a time. But that's a story for another time.

On this question, a particularly important moment is Lilten and Ilira's interaction wherein he says to her "I am hardly the only one who has betrayed the Fey Trickster" (a reference to Erevan) and indicates her tattoo, and then that "One might say that my betrayal is the lesser offense."

The implication here is that Ilira turned her back on Erevan just like Lilten did, only that her betrayal is much worse.

Ilira never confirms that she worked for Netheril, worshipped Shar, or turned her back on Erevan--all of that is just rumor from the other characters. Time will tell.

quote:
In Shadowbane, Sithe worshipped Shar, but seemed to like and respect Myrin.
Shar would have hated how Sithe helped Kalen regain his confidence and find greater favor with his god.
I didn't get into Sithe's faith too much, but she did indeed worship Shar in the past. It's unclear whether in the novel she's still an active follower of Shar, though indeed, her actions both seem to confirm and deny. So what do you think is the truth? Is she a lapsed servant looking for some kind of redemption by training Kalen, or is she an active priestess serving Shar's best interests by molding him into a destroyer?

quote:
Finally, the tavern girl in Downshadow mentions that the monastery where Rath was trained was dedicated to entropy or something like that. It definitely sounded Sharran, but he worked for Lilten and did not seem to want to hurt Myrin. Unlike the others, he was also oblivious to what makes her so special. Does he actually worship Shar?
I don't know if Rath turned his back on his goddess, but he killed his whole monastery.
I hope to reveal more about this one day, but generally speaking, Rath is not a terribly religious person. He believes in the gods, sure, but has nothing but contempt for them, as evidenced by his discussion with the dwarves in Downshadow. His monastery did indeed have something to do with Shar, but I'll save that for a future novel.

quote:
And which of these people actually work as Shar's servants, as opposed to paying lip service while doing their own thing?
Ironically, Hessar is probably the most reverent servant of Shar. Sithe and Rath both serve Shar's ends, but their path is decidedly more spiritual than religious. Kire uses shadowdancing powers, but he is not religious. Ilira doesn't serve Shar any more, if she ever actually did.

quote:
Btw, I really enjoy that about your work. Your portrayal of the gods is as realistic as it gets. Eden and Lilten were working at cross ends and both thought Beshaba supported them. Kalen has no idea who he's actually worshipping/receiving powers from. Vaelis, Kalen, and Rhett are all chosen by the same sword. Besides the confusion of trying to carry out a god's will without knowing what that is, there is also the theme of the "lapsed servant".
Glad you like how I handle faith. Sure, the gods of the Realms are real and concrete, but that doesn't mean that mortals understand them any better than we understand religious figures/concepts in our own world. I want to get away from the concept that "everyone knows" a god values/works for XXXXX . . . or more accurately, sometimes what "everyone knows" isn't quite correct.

And I wouldn't say Kalen has "no idea" about what deity he serves. He definitely believes he is following the Threefold God generally, Helm specifically. And Vengeance is definitely following Hoar, and Mercy definitely following Tyr. Vindicator just isn't necessarily specific to any particular deity. It's a tool that can be used for good or for evil.

quote:
In real life, even if you dedicate yourself to a set of ideals, sometimes you do change your mind about what you believed, and sometimes you find it hard to live up to your own ideals. So, great job portrayed the real difficulties of living your life by a strict code.
Very much so. And thanks!

quote:
#4 - Is anyone in this series beyond redemption? Fayne was portrayed as cold hearted in Downshadow, but there just might be help for her yet. Ilira seems cold, but that's more of an artificial hardness to keep people at bay. I would say that Lilten and Kirenkirsalai are the only ones who are pure evil.
I don't believe in "pure good" or "pure evil." I write in shades of gray. Heroes shouldn't do good just because it's good, and villains shouldn't do evil for its own sake. Every character has (sometimes noble, sometimes nefarious) reasons for doing what he or she does--it's the character's *actions* that are good or evil.

This vision sort of fits in with the work of such writers as George R.R. Martin or one of my good friends, Paul S. Kemp (whose Erevis Cale books are a masterclass in shades of gray).

So no, no characters in the series are beyond redemption. Some of them are absolutely not interested in redemption--in fact, they don't believe they need such a thing, because they are so convinced they're doing the right thing. For instance, Fayne is driven to have justice (or is it vengeance?) on Ilira for killing her mother (which Ilira definitely did), and she believes that Ilira is a far worse monster than she could ever be.

Kire is probably the closest you get to "pure evil," but he has the added hindrance of being a monster, rather than a humanoid character. He's a vampire, with all the emotional baggage and "heart of darkness" that goes along with that. I tend to write vampires as ruthless destructive monsters, incapable of human empathy or feeling. (No sparkly vamps here!)

As for Lilten, Hawkins has the right of it--"cold and calculating" is my intention. And Lilten has a motivation for all that he does, too, and it has rather a lot to do with Ilira. Back in Shadowbane, did you notice how he interacted with Eden? That's somewhat telling.

quote:
Maybe Rath, but he strikes me as more like Artemis Entreri. He hates himself and thinks that bringing misery to others will ease his pain. But old Artemis is coming around, and even Erevis Cale found redemption, so I will hold out hope for him.
I plan to have Rath return, in all his self-loathing, barely-repressed, homicidal glory. We'll see.

quote:
#4 - Do Lilten and Kirenkirsalai play this game of wit out of habit for their past friendship/rivalry? Or are they, like archwizards, afriad that a clash between them might bring way too much attention and end in mutual destruction? (due to their great personal power). Vampire Lords aren't as mighty as archwizards, but I'm unaware if Kirenkirsalai has powers given to him by Shar also.
Yes and yes. Neither of them is an archwizard. In fact, Lilten is a bard (with some skill in cleric, rogue, and fighter) and Kire is a fighter/rogue type (and a vampire lord besides).

quote:
#5 - Finally, wasn't Cythara a cultist of Graz'zt? I think Graz'zt could possibly be Lilten's father. I considered Demogorgon too, since one of his priests kidnapped Ilira, but I think if Demogorgon was his father, Lilten would probably be bipolar. He's very charming and debonair, in a way that reminds me of Graz'zt.
Yes, Cythara was indeed a cultist of Graz'zt. Lilten's shared characteristics with Graz'zt are not accidental, though that doesn't necessarily make him the son of Graz'zt. His actual parentage has yet to be revealed.

I will say this much: Lilten is *not* the son of Demogorgon.

Cheers
Hawkins Posted - 28 Sep 2012 : 17:30:43
I always assumed Rath was a Monk of the Long Death, or part of a monastic order that stemmed from the Monks of the Long Death.

Also, I don't view Lilten as much "evil" as I do "cold and calculating."
Lilianviaten Posted - 28 Sep 2012 : 15:27:55
I will certainly write you a top notch Amazon review, sir. I very much appreciate your answers, but now I have even more questions.

SPOILERS
SPOILERS
SPOILERS

#1 - Have you and Ed coordinated at all on your storylines? The book details Manshoon's takeover of the Night Masks and alludes to his current adventures in Cormyr. Also, with what appears to be the interaction of Shar and Mystra, albeit indirectly, I figured you guys might have discussed that.

#2 - What exactly did Halaster do to Myrin? Ilira assures her that she's a real person, and not a construct of any sort. But Fayne assured her in Downshadow that she is a goddess. Lilten and Kirenkirsalai seem to be the only ones who really know what she is.

#3 - Why do so many servants of Shar appear to be working at cross ends? Kirenkirsalai worships Shar and wants to capture Myrin. Hessar, despite being a somewhat flippant servant, at least worked for Shar at some point. He wants to capture Myrin also. Ilira vigorously opposes them, despite being a servant of Netheril (she doesn't really appear to worship Shar though; doesn't she worship Erevan Ilesere?). In Shadowbane, Sithe worshipped Shar, but seemed to like and respect Myrin. Finally, the tavern girl in Downshadow mentions that the monastery where Rath was trained was dedicated to entropy or something like that. It definitely sounded Sharran, but he worked for Lilten and did not seem to want to hurt Myrin. Unlike the others, he was also oblivious to what makes her so special. Does he actually worship Shar? And which of these people actually work as Shar's servants, as opposed to paying lip service while doing their own thing?

Btw, I really enjoy that about your work. Your portrayal of the gods is as realistic as it gets. Eden and Lilten were working at cross ends and both thought Beshaba supported them. Kalen has no idea who he's actually worshipping/receiving powers from. Vaelis, Kalen, and Rhett are all chosen by the same sword. Besides the confusion of trying to carry out a god's will without knowing what that is, there is also the theme of the "lapsed servant". Shar would have hated how Sithe helped Kalen regain his confidence and find greater favor with his god. Lilten is a turncloak. I don't know if Rath turned his back on his goddess, but he killed his whole monastery. Hessar seemed to have betrayed Shar's worship to some degree, by his own admission. In real life, even if you dedicate yourself to a set of ideals, sometimes you do change your mind about what you believed, and sometimes you find it hard to live up to your own ideals. So, great job portrayed the real difficulties of living your life by a strict code.

#4 - Is anyone in this series beyond redemption? Fayne was portrayed as cold hearted in Downshadow, but there just might be help for her yet. Ilira seems cold, but that's more of an artificial hardness to keep people at bay. I would say that Lilten and Kirenkirsalai are the only ones who are pure evil. Maybe Rath, but he strikes me as more like Artemis Entreri. He hates himself and thinks that bringing misery to others will ease his pain. But old Artemis is coming around, and even Erevis Cale found redemption, so I will hold out hope for him.

#4 - Do Lilten and Kirenkirsalai play this game of wit out of habit for their past friendship/rivalry? Or are they, like archwizards, afriad that a clash between them might bring way too much attention and end in mutual destruction? (due to their great personal power). Vampire Lords aren't as mighty as archwizards, but I'm unaware if Kirenkirsalai has powers given to him by Shar also.

#5 - Finally, wasn't Cythara a cultist of Graz'zt? I think Graz'zt could possibly be Lilten's father. I considered Demogorgon too, since one of his priests kidnapped Ilira, but I think if Demogorgon was his father, Lilten would probably be bipolar. He's very charming and debonair, in a way that reminds me of Graz'zt.
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 28 Sep 2012 : 08:00:15
Hail, Lilianviaten (such an honor)!

I'm very glad you enjoyed. Such glowing words, and great questions! I would like to invite you to post a review on Amazon, sir. The more reviews my work gets, the more likely it is to sell, and thus the more likely it will continue!

Also, come find me on Facebook if you're so inclined: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Erik-Scott-de-Bie/86237599006

SPOILERS
SPOILERS
SPOILERS

quote:
Originally posted by Lilianviaten

#1 - You make it clear that Lilten is Sarya's little brother. If I recall the Last Mythal series right, Sarya was all high and mighty because her father was a balor. Does it follow that Lilten's father is that same balor? There are many references to him having a hot touch, or a hot kiss, or feeling the old fire rising in him. However, I don't recall Sarya having any demonic powers outside of her sorcery. I almost wonder if he has found a way to unlock the full power of a balor.
Lilten does indeed consider Sarya his "older sister" (or at least he says so there), though the exact nature of their relation is still not clear. They may not have the same set of parents but may be only half siblings, or they may not share a parent at all. I haven't yet revealed that.

But you are correct in your assertion that he does seem to have some kind of inner fire. Sarya did indeed have powers outsider her sorcery related to her demonic heritage, according to her appearance in Cloak and Dagger. Her actual depiction in the Last Mythal trilogy may or may not have made use of these powers (I don't recall at the moment).

Lilten will be revealed one of these days. We'll see.

quote:
#2 - I recall that Tyr and Bane once fought over Hoar. Does Hoar granting spells in Helm's name represent an attempt to escape Bane's rule and become more neutral, or even good?
That's a very optimistic way of looking at it. Vengeance and Shadowbane both interpret Hoar's influence in a considerably darker way--that he has subsumed and perverted the ways of justice.

quote:
#3 - How on earth was Vaelis not dead, when his death is what caused the crack in the sword?
Ah, but was it actually his death that caused the crack in the sword? The sword cracked along with Kalen's heart, which happened when Kalen *thought* Vaelis was dead. Whether Vaelis actually was dead is another question.

Also, even if he did die, there *is* resurrection magic in the world.

Also, remember who/what Vaelis serves in EoJ.

There are plenty of ways to look at it, but if you want what really happened (pending any contrary reveal): Vaelis was mortally wounded, but Kirenkirsalai whisked him away on the brink of death to use him for a greater purpose later on. Kire has "enhanced" Vaelis the same way vampires did so in Westgate before the fall of the Night Masks. If this were a 3.5 game, Vaelis would be a Night Mask Deathbringer (see Champions of Ruin).

quote:
#4 - Is Kirenkirsalai really serving Shar, or his own ends? He seems to dearly love Myrin and want her back, but if she truly holds a vestige of Mystra, his goddess Shar will want her dead. I'm guessing that this is how Shar has been blocking Mystra's resurrection all these years, by sending her minions to kill any mortal that Mystra may have hidden a piece of her divine essence in.
Mystra, eh? What makes you think Kirenkirsalai "loves" her?

Great theory, though. Were I you, I would not abandon that line of thinking.

quote:
#5 - I noticed that when Kirensirsalai threatened Fayne, Lilten uttered a prayer to Erevan Ilesere, describing himself as a wayward servant, I think. Why not pray to Beshaba?
He referred to himself as a "lapsed servant," in fact.

Most people in the Realms pray to many deities--a priest of Torm might offer a prayer to Tempus when heading off to war or to Sune to bless courting lovers. A body is as likely to pray to Tymora or Beshaba to bless someone with good luck--either to have Tymora smile or Beshaba turn away from an effort. As for why Lilten prays to Erevan at this moment, perhaps it's because a prayer to Erevan for aid is much more appropriate in this case than a prayer to Beshaba NOT to hurt Ilira. It could be irony. Also, he's a complex man with complex loyalties--perhaps this is an indication he hasn't entirely abandoned his former patron?

quote:
#6 - Is Myrin meant to be bisexual, or just attracted to Ilira because of her spellscar?
Yes and no. There's clearly some sexual tension between them--we'll see where that goes. "Bisexual" as a label doesn't really exist in the Realms. People in the Realms are much more open to sexual expression of various kinds without being rigidly defined in particular groups. That said, yes, there's some queer business going on in this story, and I wouldn't be surprised to see Myrin and Ilira's relationship deepen. Part of that is attraction, and part of that is that eventually Myrin is the first non-shadovar person in a century that Ilira can actually touch without hurting.

Their spellscars are indeed a connection between them, but it's mostly Myrin's scar that attracts other scarred people (it does the same thing to Kalen). She isn't necessarily drawn to them in the same way.

quote:
#7 - Does the conclusion of your saga depend on what WOTC does with 5E, or do you have your own goals in mind?
Yes and yes. WotC's direction has already shaped my story, but I do have an endgame planned. We'll see how things shake out.

And, of course, there's no guarantee at the moment there will even be more Shadowbane books. If you're invested in the story and really want to see it continue, talk it up, tell your friends, post reviews online (particularly on Amazon), and send your feedback to WotC.

Cheers
Lilianviaten Posted - 28 Sep 2012 : 04:43:26
Mr. De Bie, you have really outdone yourself with this trilogy. I remember reading that you wanted to create a character who would be as iconic as Drizzt, Elminster, or Erevis Cale. Well, I think you're doing that. I will highlight some things I really liked, and then I have a few questions.

Strong Points

1. Characters - I like them all. You remind me a lot of RAS or Elaine in the way I feel about your characters. I really enjoy them all so much that I'm not overly concerned with who "wins". Although, I am dying to know who wins that game of coroniir in the end.

2. Settings - You did a great job contrasting the beauty of Waterdeep vs. the filth of Downshadow in the 1st book. Your depiction is Luskan in the 2nd book made it seem like a place Cyric would enjoy, which I gather was your point. (oh, and Sithe made that novel all by her lonesome) Finally, with Westgate, you really made me love the city enough to want to visit, but also be scared of what might happen to me if I did.

3. Gods - Your series deals with the gods a lot, in an indirect way. Gods are so impossible to depict in a way that will please all the fans, so I think this is a great way to go. You show how hard it is in FR to faithfully follow a god(dess), because what they want can seem so unclear.

Questions

SPOILERS
SPOILERS
SPOILERS

#1 - You make it clear that Lilten is Sarya's little brother. If I recall the Last Mythal series right, Sarya was all high and mighty because her father was a balor. Does it follow that Lilten's father is that same balor? There are many references to him having a hot touch, or a hot kiss, or feeling the old fire rising in him. However, I don't recall Sarya having any demonic powers outside of her sorcery. I almost wonder if he has found a way to unlock the full power of a balor.

#2 - I recall that Tyr and Bane once fought over Hoar. Does Hoar granting spells in Helm's name represent an attempt to escape Bane's rule and become more neutral, or even good?

#3 - How on earth was Vaelis not dead, when his death is what caused the crack in the sword?

#4 - Is Kirenkirsalai really serving Shar, or his own ends? He seems to dearly love Myrin and want her back, but if she truly holds a vestige of Mystra, his goddess Shar will want her dead. I'm guessing that this is how Shar has been blocking Mystra's resurrection all these years, by sending her minions to kill any mortal that Mystra may have hidden a piece of her divine essence in.

#5 - I noticed that when Kirensirsalai threatened Fayne, Lilten uttered a prayer to Erevan Ilesere, describing himself as a wayward servant, I think. Why not pray to Beshaba?

#6 - Is Myrin meant to be bisexual, or just attracted to Ilira because of her spellscar?

#7 - Does the conclusion of your saga depend on what WOTC does with 5E, or do you have your own goals in mind?
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 18 Sep 2012 : 18:14:58
quote:
Originally posted by Aes Tryl

Awesome thanks for the detailed reply Erik!! Hmmm I should do a slower, more careful read of EoJ.
To clarify, that's not what I'm saying you should do, but hey, if you want to read it again, it's not like I'm going to advise against it.

SPOILERS ABOUND, MOSTLY for SHADOWBANE (book 2)

quote:
Regarding Myrin, I understand she and Kalen keep fighting and Twilight seems to really appeal to her, but the last novel was just Kalen getting smashed in the face repeatedly again and again, all for her sake.
Was it? Or was it more of Kalen trying to control her and make her do things his way. Sure, *he* thinks he was protecting her all the time, but if you look at it from her perspective, Kalen's kind of stifling her. He refused to let her try to help Luskan, he repeatedly tried to get her out of the city against her will (including kidnapping her when she was drunk), etc. Not to mention that in Eye of Justice, Kalen repeatedly distrusts her, disapproves of her friends, questions her judgment, and occasionally treats her like an inferior (including when he insulted her rather viciously just after she met Ilira).

Not to mention that Kalen is really scared of his feelings for her, which is sort of why he does that.

quote:
That she "ditches" (I know she doesn't but it sure seems that way sometimes) Kalen and her general treatment of him kinda turns me off (I know she is going through a lot of trying experiences, but Kalen has gone through much of the same and he doesn't treat her much different). I don't think she is a bad person, but it seems like she is a teenager living in a very complex and convoluted world which she can't or refuses to see. It's exasperating not damning =P.
You're definitely seeing things from Kalen's perspective. And yes, he has gone through a lot of trying experiences, and he doesn't treat her much differently, and that's the point.

Kalen spent all of Downshadow, all of Shadowbane, and most of Eye of Justice pushing Myrin away, and it really shouldn't be a surprise that eventually she chooses someone else. Which is not to say that she doesn't have extremely strong feelings for him and wish things were different, but it just isn't ok that he gets to push her around and always be right (when of course he isn't).

This is all purposeful. Basically, what I'm going for is that these are two adult characters who have different goals and methods. One isn't the knight in shining armor for the other, nor is one the damsel in distress. Myrin sort of *was* the damsel in distress once upon a time (Downshadow), but she's evolving beyond that into her own character. What Kalen really needs to do is treat her like the equal she is, and then they can resolve their issues. Kalen already *thinks* of her as an equal--it's just a matter of that translating into his actions.

My main goal is that I don't want either of them to seem to "deserve" the other, as though people are some sort of prize to be won (which is hugely prevalent in all fantasy). They have to *earn* the chance to be together, and they're not quite there yet.

[b]NOTE:[b] This is totally not me defending my work--obviously, you have your opinion, and you're SUPPOSED to--but just me explaining what I'm going for. If you're more on Kalen's side than Myrin's side, that's great! No worries! I'm just elucidating my attempts to present these characters as individuals with complex problems, which lend themselves to being on either side.

Also, to clarify, don't think that Myrin "ditching" Kalen indicates that she has any less feeling for him than she ever has had, and vice versa. If anything, Myrin is just pushing Kalen away the same way he's been pushing her away for three books now. It's as much his choices as hers (if not more so) that are keeping them apart--if they want to be together, they have to *choose* to be together.

quote:
And how do I send a request to WoTC >=)?
Check out their forums: http://community.wizards.com/go/forum/view/75882/136026/forgotten_realms

Also the bookclub is a good place to make your voice heard by the book department (Nina Hess is one of the editors): http://community.wizards.com/bookclub

quote:
Ah thanks for expounding on the 3-fold God and the relation between Rhett, Kalen and Vaelis. Yeah I kinda see how the "oh no, I became what I fought against" theme would horrify Kalen, or any paladin for that matter.
Indeed, that's what I was going for.

quote:
Also can't wait for some actual illira and kalen conversations, it will be the stuff of legends!
Oh, there are plans. Don't you worry.

quote:
Thanks once again for the wonderful EoJ. I honestly enjoyed this the most out of all the Shadowbane novels.
Great to hear it. I'm glad you enjoyed the book, and I hope that the next one (if/when I get to write it) will please you just as much.

Cheers
Aes Tryl Posted - 18 Sep 2012 : 17:16:05
Awesome thanks for the detailed reply Erik!! Hmmm I should do a slower, more careful read of EoJ.

Regarding Myrin, I understand she and Kalen keep fighting and Twilight seems to really appeal to her, but the last novel was just Kalen getting smashed in the face repeatedly again and again, all for her sake. That she "ditches" (I know she doesn't but it sure seems that way sometimes) Kalen and her general treatment of him kinda turns me off (I know she is going through a lot of trying experiences, but Kalen has gone through much of the same and he doesn't treat her much different). I don't think she is a bad person, but it seems like she is a teenager living in a very complex and convoluted world which she can't or refuses to see. It's exasperating not damning =P.

True, if I didn't know Kalen's status I would tear my hair out haha! And how can WoTC not give you a novel contract =(. Kalen is the only 4ed forgotten realms character that I've really fallen in love with (besides richard lee byers characters but they were transition characters so not counted =P). I have already talked up your novels to interested friends. But I'm not used to writing reviews haha. NOOOOO!!!! The story of Dren must continue =(. And how do I send a request to WoTC >=)?

Ah thanks for expounding on the 3-fold God and the relation between Rhett, Kalen and Vaelis. Yeah I kinda see how the "oh no, I became what I fought against" theme would horrify Kalen, or any paladin for that matter.

Oh and regarding Godborn, I know all about waiting. I've been waiting for Godborn since it was first announced and I think that was in 2007, so yes, I'm like a starving bear when it comes to Godborn. The idea of you not getting a next novel contract and the agony of waiting for Godborn for yet another year sends me into withdrawal spasms =(. Oh well at least the brimstone angels sequel gets released at the end of this year. But I hunger . . . for my preciousssssss.

Also can't wait for some actual illira and kalen conversations, it will be the stuff of legends! Thanks once again for the wonderful EoJ. I honestly enjoyed this the most out of all the Shadowbane novels.
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 18 Sep 2012 : 16:17:20
Hi Aes Tryl,

I shall endeavor to say what I can on these questions.

SPOILERS FOR THE WHOLE NOVEL and for the PREVIOUS NOVEL, SHADOWBANE

quote:
Originally posted by Aes Tryl

The Uncle Nemesis and Neveran reveals were incredible but is Kiren who we think he is or is this even more obfuscation?
That depends who you think he is.

quote:
Also I really didn't like how Kalen got tagged for Brace's murder at the end, and how Myrin, despite knowing that Kalen would never be perpetrate such a crime, went along with it =/. It felt kinda filmsy.
The only one who really believes Kalen killed Brace is Ilira. Myrin knows him and knows he wouldn't do such a thing--or at least she thinks he does. The point here is that Kalen has got darker and darker over the last couple books, and it finally reaches a point where Myrin can't just automatically assume good will on his part. As Shadowbane 4 will make clear (when I write it), Ilira is convinced Kalen killed Brace, but Myrin harbors great doubts about it and can't quite bring herself to believe her dear friend would have turned so evil.

I recommend you not be too hard on Myrin. She's had a trying series of experiences, and she's been fighting with Kalen the whole book. Not automatically going to his defense was sort of an assertion of her own will and actualization as a character. She's not Kalen's sidekick or just his token love interest. She has her own deal, her own motivations, and picks her own path. Is it a mistake that she breaks with Kalen? From what we know, sure--absolutely. But that doesn't make her a bad person.

Also, a big part of her actions at the end of the book are out of a need to care for and support Ilira. Basically, that event forces her to pick sides, and she sticks with Ilira out of loyalty to her new friend, who has been so good to her throughout the novel. Reconciling Kalen and Ilira is a major motivation for Myrin going forward.

quote:
Also what was so wrong with what Kalen did to Vaelis, or was it his willingness to execute Vaelis and not grant mercy which turned Rhett against him?
The way I think of it, Kalen is the wielder of awesome divine power, which he loosed against Vengeance. When he did it earlier against Scour (see Shadowbane), that was entirely justified: it was him against this demonic monster for the fate of the region, if not eventually the world. But when he turns the full weight of that divine strength against a mere mortal man, then he stops being a hero and becomes more like the monster himself. Kalen glimpses something deep and dark inside of himself, and it frightens him.

Picture this Star Wars analogy: Obi-Wan Kenobi has trained Anakin Skywalker (see Episode II), who has succumbed to the dark side and (presumably) died through a terrible error of judgment on Obi-Wan's part (see Episode III). Surprisingly, Obi-Wan faces Anakin again (this time as Darth Vader), and what does he do? He can't kill his old apprentice, so he sacrifices himself to save his friends and to demonstrate to Anakin the strength of the light side (see Episode IV). This is an early step on Vader's path to redemption.

Now what if Obi-Wan's reaction were not to try to *save* Anakin but merely to put him down like a dog, mercilessly maiming and torturing him through sheer superiority with the Force? This may be the right thing to do (Darth Vader is clearly a villain who has participated in torture, murder, and even genocide--see Alderaan), but what does it tell us about Obi-Wan? It's him giving into his anger, and giving into the dark side.

Go back to Kalen vs. Vaelis, and you see the same thing: a master faced with a now-evil apprentice. But instead of martyring himself to good, Kalen ruthlessly attacks Vengeance, maims him, and takes real pleasure in doing it. This isn't justice or duty--it's vengeance. This isn't Kalen channeling Helm--this is Kalen channeling HOAR. Vaelis knows it, Kalen knows it, and Rhett knows it.

quote:
And how could you end it on a cliffhanger????!!!!
Well, the story is ongoing, so ending on a cliffhanger just goes with the territory. As Ed says, every time you close a door, open a couple more.

Also, let me just say, it could be worse. It's less a cliffhanger and more of a "leave threads for a sequel" sort of ending. It would have been a cliffhanger if I'd left you not knowing if Kalen was alive or dead at the end.

quote:
That was cruel! Now I have to wait Helm knows how many months before the new Shadowbane novel comes out =(!
I currently have no next novel in contract with WotC, so who knows? If you want to read the next chapter in the story, I highly suggest you send the request to WotC, write an Amazon review, talk up the story to your friends, and keep talking about it on the boards.

quote:
It doesn't help that Mr Kemp delayed Godborn so it could be part of the sundering.
Paul didn't have anything to do with that. It wasn't his decision to delay Godborn--that was all WotC--and WotC chose to tie it into the Sundering, which by all accounts has enhanced the story. Good things come to those who wait.

quote:
Also could you perhaps shed some light on the Hoar angle. I understand that the three-fold God is supposed to represent Helm, Tyr and Torm. How did an exarch of Bane get mixed up in all of this? Or will this be expanded upon in your next novel (if it is I will curse you in my sleep till it comes out)
Oh, it certainly will. But here's some more:

Basically, there has to be an actual living god that grants divine powers to those who worship the Threefold God, and for the series so far, it's been assumed that that's Torm. Vengeance at least contends that the Threefold God isn't really Helm, Tyr, and Torm, but rather Helm, Tyr, and Hoar, the god of vengeance (not justice). Kalen's experiences seem to indicate that his power is indeed tinged with vengeance, particularly when he *wins* against Vengeance.

He's supposed to be left at the end of the novel in a crisis of faith, which is sort of a thing with him. In Downshadow, the sudden loss (and eventual return) of his paladin powers was a crisis of faith. In Shadowbane, it was more gradual--his powers eroding throughout the book, but he finally rediscovers his purpose and direction and unlocks a great power within himself. Eye of Justice shows him taking that too far, and facing the terrible consequences of using his powers for evil.

END SPOILERS

Aes Tryl Posted - 18 Sep 2012 : 11:20:09
Erik, I have read nearly all your books and I just sped through EoJ on the kobo. I have to say that while I absolutely loved it, I am beginning to dislike Myrin more and more. Bringing Twilight and Kalen together in one novel is just so epic, and I love how you tie all your loose ends together. (SPOILERS WHOLE BOOK)

The Uncle Nemesis and Neveran reveals were incredible but is Kiren who we think he is or is this even more obfuscation? Also I really didn't like how Kalen got tagged for Brace's murder at the end, and how Myrin, despite knowing that Kalen would never be perpetrate such a crime, went along with it =/. It felt kinda filmsy. Also what was so wrong with what Kalen did to Vaelis, or was it his willingness to execute Vaelis and not grant mercy which turned Rhett against him? And how could you end it on a cliffhanger????!!!! That was cruel! Now I have to wait Helm knows how many months before the new Shadowbane novel comes out =(! It doesn't help that Mr Kemp delayed Godborn so it could be part of the sundering.

Also could you perhaps shed some light on the Hoar angle. I understand that the three-fold God is supposed to represent Helm, Tyr and Torm. How did an exarch of Bane get mixed up in all of this? Or will this be expanded upon in your next novel (if it is I will curse you in my sleep till it comes out)[I kid, I kid ..... I think]

SPOILERS END

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000