Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 The Godborn. Book 2 of The Sundering. Fall 2013

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
The Red Walker Posted - 17 Aug 2012 : 06:23:52
Godborn is noe The Godborn, second of the six novels of the Sundering. Hate to wait even longer but it will be worth it. Paul also said the artwork for the cover is unreal!
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
CorellonsDevout Posted - 03 Dec 2012 : 06:03:56
Yay, Riven is back. Wait, so is Mephistopheles...crap! LOL he did make a good villain. I just hope this doesn't have further consequences for Mags...
Firestorm Posted - 02 Dec 2012 : 15:10:15
Paul Posted this on facebook a week ago and I have not seen it come up but it had me drooling.
-------------
A tease from THE GODBORN, cuz, hey, we're less than a year away.

Riven crouched atop the dead pit fiend's chest, an ichor-stained saber gripped in each fist, a cloud of smoke and shadows roiling around him.

"Come out, come out, whither you hide," he said to Mephistopheles.
Thauranil Posted - 04 Sep 2012 : 14:29:52
quote:
Originally posted by Tanthalas

I don't mind change in the realms. So if they're not deleting history The Sundering is fine for me.

Very true, the events of 4e should remain canon. History is not something that should be meddled with just because you didnt like what happened.
Tanthalas Posted - 29 Aug 2012 : 14:19:26
I don't mind change in the realms. So if they're not deleting history The Sundering is fine for me.
The Red Walker Posted - 29 Aug 2012 : 01:59:55
quote:
Originally posted by Tanthalas

I just noticed this news now.

I'm pretty disappointed with Godborn being delayed. Another year that we'll have to wait to read it.

I'm looking forward to The Sundering books because I like the authors that will be participating in the series, but I'm not really thrilled with The Sundering event itself. At the moment it really looks like the Spellplague is being retconned out of the history of the Realms. I don't really like this kind of thing.

Wotc said the spell plague is being addressed, butno retcon , reset or reboot is happening. No turning back the clock
jornan Posted - 28 Aug 2012 : 21:57:43
Tanthalas, if you look a little deeper into the information being released about The Sundering you will learn that it is not a retcon and what has happened, has happened. This will simply return the overall feel and tone of the Realms to its classic feel.

Given the authors who are participating in The Sundering I think the world will be better off for it. Having Ed Greenwood lead the charge in his own world instead of relucatantly following another game designers whims and agenda is all the convincing I need. Compount that with the fact that he is being supported by some of the best writers in the the Realms of any era and I think it will be great!
Tanthalas Posted - 28 Aug 2012 : 15:48:18
I just noticed this news now.

I'm pretty disappointed with Godborn being delayed. Another year that we'll have to wait to read it.

I'm looking forward to The Sundering books because I like the authors that will be participating in the series, but I'm not really thrilled with The Sundering event itself. At the moment it really looks like the Spellplague is being retconned out of the history of the Realms. I don't really like this kind of thing.
Dennis Posted - 23 Aug 2012 : 01:37:13
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

Dennis , I dont' know if this helps of not....but it looks like The Godborn could be moe like 1 1/2 times the size of Paul's avg realms work.

From Paul's scroll :

RW, if a typical novel of mine in FR is, say 90K words or so, I expect The Godborn to land somewhere around 130-40K words (page count is not helpful here, as layout can fit a wide range of word counts into a predetermined set of pages).

Frankly, no. As I said, it's better that I just wait and see. I learned a long time ago that expectations engender further disappointment.
jornan Posted - 22 Aug 2012 : 23:14:32
This is amazing news!

I am super excited with RAS's involvment in the everything from the major story arcs to the Roleplaying suppliment storylines as well. I don't care if the "The Companions" are new or somehow bringing some old ones back. I just want to know that the powers hat be aren't dictating too much of the storyline this time around.

I can't beleive that Godborn is pushed back again...but I had a feeling something was up by the fact that there was no product information posted anywhere on it. If Paul thinks it will be better for it then I'm sold.

I like that Erin Evans was included in this. Her books are standouts amongst the newer authors.

I'm intrigued by Richard Lee Byers book and, given Aoth's popularity, why his storyline wouldn't be interwoven with the Sundering instead of creating a new series. Now, if this means that RLB will have two ongoing FR series being written then I would be ok with that!

Woot Troy Denning is back!

Hopefully Ed is able to stay focused on this one. I've grown accustomed to his books jumping around, but it would be nice if the book that wraps up this series makes sense.

A few other thoughts...

If this "fixing" of the Realms allows Elaine Cunningham to finally continue the Arylin, Danilio, Elaith storyline that would sweeten it even more.

I love the idea that changes in the campaign setting will be affected by the actual players!

I noticed that masterminds of the Spellplague seemed pretty absent, which was a good thing I think. What happened to Bruce Kordell. I love Richard Bakers FR books, but am glad he has been removed from the story team. I hope he still writes freelance in the realms though.

The Red Walker Posted - 21 Aug 2012 : 17:30:51
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

quote:
Originally posted by Merrith

quote:

quote:

Still don't know if I'd be happy or not. I'm only optimistic if I choose to, and in this case, I'm not sure if I will. But thanks for sharing that, RW.

Your welcome, I know you have an interest in Godborn , now The Godborn. Even if I could, I wouldn't want to force you to be optimistic. I just want to make sure I shared all I knew so we can all decide.

But for me, when I heard Paul explain it, and see how he felt about.......I was fine with it. I wish all his fans had that chance.

Sounds like a fair trade off to me. Instead of waiting for 3 books to tell the story, we just have to wait 1 year for 1 big book...and with the promise already there that the stories will be continued in further books. The initial extra year of waiting will make it hard to be patient, but besides that I feel like we're getting rewarded all the way around.

Unless by "big" they mean to have 1,500-plus page count.

They're not content with pushing the release date to more than a year, now they're cancelling the trilogy and make it a stand-alone. Wow. That's just great. Really great.

I'm done with optimism, I guess. I'll decide whether to buy it or not when it's already out; but for now, it's likely I won't. For all we know, they'd move it again to 2014, 2015, 2020...

Dennis , I dont' know if this helps of not....but it looks like The Godborn could be moe like 1 1/2 times the size of Paul's avg realms work.

From Paul's scroll :

RW, if a typical novel of mine in FR is, say 90K words or so, I expect The Godborn to land somewhere around 130-40K words (page count is not helpful here, as layout can fit a wide range of word counts into a predetermined set of pages).
Yoss Posted - 21 Aug 2012 : 13:08:51
I'm definetly looking forward to it. Im a big fan of the stand alone yet thematically tied multi-author series concept anyway. And with that line-up of authors, the group of them would have to get creatively co-opted by a truly evil force (like, for example, the 50 shades of gray lady) to not put out an enjoyable set of books.

Yeah, having to wait even longer does suck. But as long as I'm getting Kemp realms stories, I really don't care if they're in the neatly packaged trilogy we previously thought was coming, or some other incarnation.
The Red Walker Posted - 21 Aug 2012 : 04:26:11
Well The Cycle of night trilogy isn't canceled per se.....just condensed into one big book. But it sounds like many more with these characters are to come.

From Paul's blog:

After The Godborn, the characters (again, some old, some new) from the book will continue in further books.  I don’t know what the titles of those are going to be just yet, but there will be more books.  They’ll be “sequels” to The Godborn in that they build on and occur after the events of the The Godborn, but the story of The Godborn will be standalone and complete in the one book (there won’t be some cliffhanger, for example).
Dennis Posted - 21 Aug 2012 : 04:11:35
quote:
Originally posted by Merrith

quote:

quote:

Still don't know if I'd be happy or not. I'm only optimistic if I choose to, and in this case, I'm not sure if I will. But thanks for sharing that, RW.

Your welcome, I know you have an interest in Godborn , now The Godborn. Even if I could, I wouldn't want to force you to be optimistic. I just want to make sure I shared all I knew so we can all decide.

But for me, when I heard Paul explain it, and see how he felt about.......I was fine with it. I wish all his fans had that chance.

Sounds like a fair trade off to me. Instead of waiting for 3 books to tell the story, we just have to wait 1 year for 1 big book...and with the promise already there that the stories will be continued in further books. The initial extra year of waiting will make it hard to be patient, but besides that I feel like we're getting rewarded all the way around.

Unless by "big" they mean to have 1,500-plus page count.

They're not content with pushing the release date to more than a year, now they're cancelling the trilogy and make it a stand-alone. Wow. That's just great. Really great.

I'm done with optimism, I guess. I'll decide whether to buy it or not when it's already out; but for now, it's likely I won't. For all we know, they'd move it again to 2014, 2015, 2020...
The Red Walker Posted - 21 Aug 2012 : 00:46:55
quote:
Originally posted by Entromancer

"Big book" is interesting. Does that mean something bigger than the typical 330-350 page count?

I asked Paul about what that means in his scroll. I am hoping for Evermeet big!
Entromancer Posted - 21 Aug 2012 : 00:29:01
"Big book" is interesting. Does that mean something bigger than the typical 330-350 page count?
Merrith Posted - 21 Aug 2012 : 00:16:35
quote:

quote:

The Red Walker Posted - 20 Aug 2012 : 23:33:34
quote:

Delwa Posted - 20 Aug 2012 : 22:30:18
quote:

Someone asked what this meant for The Cycle of Night, if that ended the chance of that series or it links to The Sundering

Paul answers that, and much more here: http://paulskemp.com/blog/the-sundering/

Oops. I saw the same thing in my Facebook feed and posted it over in your Gen News thread.
I'm very optimistic. Like Mark pointed out in one of the other threads, there was a lot of "forced" enthusiasm for the last RSE. This one seems very natural and real. Still, WotC could roll a "1," but I don't think that's likely with Ed steering.
I'm looking forward to Mr. Kemp's book. If I'm not confused, (which I frequently can be) he's being allowed to develop this single novel a lot more than the originally planned trilogy. I look forward to (hopefully) seeing Riven and old Mephisto settle their grudge match, and having Cale's son in the mix will be just awesome.
Dennis Posted - 20 Aug 2012 : 21:16:08

The Red Walker Posted - 20 Aug 2012 : 20:56:45
Someone asked what this meant for The Cycle of Night, if that ended the chance of that series or it links to The Sundering

Paul answers that, and much more here: http://paulskemp.com/blog/the-sundering/
Firestorm Posted - 20 Aug 2012 : 14:00:26
You guys realize that is not the cover art right?

They just took cutouts from the main poster
Thauranil Posted - 20 Aug 2012 : 13:30:15
quote:

Though the previous art for Godborn is way better. The new one looks "light."

Thats true, I would have preferred it if they stayed true to the art style from the Twilight war saga.
Delwa Posted - 19 Aug 2012 : 16:39:00
quote:

Oh check out the art work for this series and a video of the whole keynote:

http://roqoodepot.com/2012/08/18/the-sundering-kemp-denning-salvatore-and-more/

Nice. I don't mind the pushback so much. There are so many books and products being released right now, I can't afford to buy them all at the moment. Spreading it out helps me decide which to spend money on.
The new art is cool. I liked the original, it looked cool and all, but the new one gives me more details. Over the past years, as I'm able, I have tried to paint a miniature for each star character in the Realms. Details help me not have to get too creative on the paint scheme. Lazy, I know. But oh well.
Krafus Posted - 19 Aug 2012 : 16:36:13
I'm confused. If Godborn is now the second book of The Sundering series, does this mean that the trilogy named The Cycle of Night it was supposed to be the first part of has now been cancelled?
Dennis Posted - 19 Aug 2012 : 14:50:33

Though the previous art for Godborn is way better. The new one looks "light."
Thauranil Posted - 19 Aug 2012 : 13:13:52
Yeah I especially liked the Sentinel and The Companions.
Dennis Posted - 19 Aug 2012 : 02:56:28

Nice cover art for each book.
The Red Walker Posted - 19 Aug 2012 : 02:42:29
Oh check out the art work for this series and a video of the whole keynote:

http://roqoodepot.com/2012/08/18/the-sundering-kemp-denning-salvatore-and-more/
The Red Walker Posted - 18 Aug 2012 : 13:07:29
quote:
Originally posted by Yoss

And now I have that Tom Petty song stuck in my head.

Well...it is the hardest part [earworm]
Yoss Posted - 18 Aug 2012 : 09:28:51
And now I have that Tom Petty song stuck in my head.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000