Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Rise of the Blade (Hapers #17) unpublished novel

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
HardKano Posted - 14 Aug 2012 : 12:44:39
Hi there !

I found on Charles Moffat site that he offer for free the ebook of his unpublished novel in the Realms. Note that was unpublished because TSR was bought by Wizard that year and stopped the Harpers series.

The Hapers #17 : Rise of the Blade

http://fiction.charlesmoffat.com/

I'm already reading Hapers novels, si i'll be on that one soon enough !
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Wooly Rupert Posted - 10 Jul 2014 : 12:46:37
quote:
Originally posted by Seravin

Here's my quick review of the Harper books I've read:

1) Parched Sea - quite a good read actually, great sense of atmosphere in the desert.
2) Elfshadow - classic, probably best in the list.
3) Red Magic - good read especially if you like Thay.
4) Night Parade - can't comment, I've not read it yet but I hear it is very dark and not Realmslike.
5) Ring of Winter - wonderful book. Good characters and fun jungle adventure.
6) Crypt of the Shadowking - I enjoyed this one too.
7) Soldiers of Ice - haven't read yet.
8) Elfsong - Elaine is a great writer and her second book is nearly as good as the first, I just missed Arilyn.
9) Crown of Fire - my favorite of Ed's novels. Mirt is great fun here.
10) Masquerade - imho the weakest of Grubb/Novak's Realms novels, and I love their writing, but I think its their weakest.
11) Curse of the Shadowking - haven't read yet.
12) The Veiled Dragon - this is a terrible book, I'm sad to say. And I loved Parched Sea and Ruha.
13) Silver Shadows - I didn't enjoy this as much as the first 2 Elaine books, it was a bit random to me.
14) Stormlight - a pretty terrible book.
15) Finder's Bane - I enjoyed this. Not as much as the Finder's Stone trilogy but better than Masquerades.
16) Thornhold - haven't read yet.

I really disliked Soldiers of Ice and the Shadowking books, myself. Most of the others were more or less enjoyable, with Elaine's books and the Novak and Grubb ones being the standouts of the series.
HardKano Posted - 10 Jul 2014 : 12:39:45
quote:
Originally posted by Thauranil

quote:
Originally posted by Hoondatha

The Harpers series contains the following books. I've tried to include the links to other series:

1) Parched Sea (self-contained; one character reappears in #12)
2) Elfshadow (start of Arilyn and Danilo books, followed by #8, #13)
3) Red Magic (completely self-contained)
4) Night Parade (completely self-contained)
5) Ring of Winter (completely self-contained)
6) Crypt of the Shadowking (followed by #11)
7) Soldiers of Ice (completely self-contained)
8) Elfsong (sequel to #2)
9) Crown of Fire (sequel to non-Harper novel Spellfire)
10) Masquerade (sequel to Finder's Stone/Alias trilogy)
11) Curse of the Shadowking (sequel to #6)
12) The Veiled Dragon (sequel, more or less, to Parched Sea, though it takes place in a completely different place)
13) Silver Shadows (sequel to Elfshadow and Elfsong; takes place concurrently with Elfsong)
14) Stormlight (completely self-contained)
15) Finder's Bane (sequel, of a sorts, to Finder's Stone/Alias trilogy but with different characters than Masquerade. Followed by non-Harpers novel Tymora's Luck)
16) Thornhold (essentially self-contained, though some characters from the Elfshadow series make appearences)

Overall, the series was one of the better ones from 2e, and there are a number of books in it that I continue to return to (9,10,14,15, all of the Elaine Cunningham books). There are also a few that I haven't read since (1, 7, 11) and a couple I'm indifferent on. Hope all this helps

Thanks for sharing this list. Alas I have yet to start on the Harper series but that is only because the series is not available in my country. Hopefully that will change soon.

International Order via ebay or anywhere ?
Seravin Posted - 09 Jul 2014 : 20:55:44
Here's my quick review of the Harper books I've read:

1) Parched Sea - quite a good read actually, great sense of atmosphere in the desert.
2) Elfshadow - classic, probably best in the list.
3) Red Magic - good read especially if you like Thay.
4) Night Parade - can't comment, I've not read it yet but I hear it is very dark and not Realmslike.
5) Ring of Winter - wonderful book. Good characters and fun jungle adventure.
6) Crypt of the Shadowking - I enjoyed this one too.
7) Soldiers of Ice - haven't read yet.
8) Elfsong - Elaine is a great writer and her second book is nearly as good as the first, I just missed Arilyn.
9) Crown of Fire - my favorite of Ed's novels. Mirt is great fun here.
10) Masquerade - imho the weakest of Grubb/Novak's Realms novels, and I love their writing, but I think its their weakest.
11) Curse of the Shadowking - haven't read yet.
12) The Veiled Dragon - this is a terrible book, I'm sad to say. And I loved Parched Sea and Ruha.
13) Silver Shadows - I didn't enjoy this as much as the first 2 Elaine books, it was a bit random to me.
14) Stormlight - a pretty terrible book.
15) Finder's Bane - I enjoyed this. Not as much as the Finder's Stone trilogy but better than Masquerades.
16) Thornhold - haven't read yet.

Thauranil Posted - 09 Jul 2014 : 13:16:42
quote:

The Harpers series contains the following books. I've tried to include the links to other series:

12) The Veiled Dragon (sequel, more or less, to Parched Sea, though it takes place in a completely different place)
13) Silver Shadows (sequel to Elfshadow and Elfsong; takes place concurrently with Elfsong)
15) Finder's Bane (sequel, of a sorts, to Finder's Stone/Alias trilogy but with different characters than Masquerade. Followed by non-Harpers novel Tymora's Luck)
16) Thornhold (essentially self-contained, though some characters from the Elfshadow series make appearences)

Overall, the series was one of the better ones from 2e, and there are a number of books in it that I continue to return to (9,10,14,15, all of the Elaine Cunningham books). There are also a few that I haven't read since (1, 7, 11) and a couple I'm indifferent on. Hope all this helps

Thanks for sharing this list. Alas I have yet to start on the Harper series but that is only because the series is not available in my country. Hopefully that will change soon.
HardKano Posted - 08 Jul 2014 : 21:06:09
quote:
Originally posted by The Masked Mage

quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

quote:
Originally posted by HardKano

Hi,

Thank you for your post ElaineCunningham ! In my search to collect all possible novels ever published it was possible i found a misleading track ;)

Generally i follow o-love.net repertory but this time i followed Wikipedia and it was erroneous.

When i downloaded the book i have noticed that it was only 152 pages with no chapter but i'm not an editor to know if the chapter is put before of after the writing and i think the pages in the 8x11 format can augment in a book format.

By the way, I started reading your novels this week with "Songs & Swords" series... awesome :) I really like your style with punctilious descriptions for what i have read so far.

A mistake in Wikipedia? ::gasps, clutches the pearls::

Thanks for the kind word about Songs & Swords. I hope you continue to enjoy Arilyn and Danilo's story.

Elaine - we will all be more than happy to go right on enjoying their story.... just as soon as you give us a little more of it. I've been hoping for the next piece for a long time now! :D

I still enjoy it and i've done reading those novels. Unfortunately the saga didn't continue. I've read the post on Internet Elaine talked about "Reclamation" was canceled. And the Realms is now clearly in the future with the 5th edition near the market.
The Masked Mage Posted - 07 Jul 2014 : 23:49:18
quote:

quote:

Hi,

Thank you for your post ElaineCunningham ! In my search to collect all possible novels ever published it was possible i found a misleading track ;)

Generally i follow o-love.net repertory but this time i followed Wikipedia and it was erroneous.

When i downloaded the book i have noticed that it was only 152 pages with no chapter but i'm not an editor to know if the chapter is put before of after the writing and i think the pages in the 8x11 format can augment in a book format.

By the way, I started reading your novels this week with "Songs & Swords" series... awesome :) I really like your style with punctilious descriptions for what i have read so far.

Thanks for the kind word about Songs & Swords. I hope you continue to enjoy Arilyn and Danilo's story.

Elaine - we will all be more than happy to go right on enjoying their story.... just as soon as you give us a little more of it. I've been hoping for the next piece for a long time now! :D
Malaugryn Posted - 03 Jul 2014 : 19:06:04
Now I understand why did book seemed so odd... this author clearly never read the previous novels nor discussed with their authors. The names are off, the lore is off, he states that the main character fights better than drizzt and arilyn (no FR author would ever state such a thing), and the biggest blasphemy... Khelben is knocked out by a mere punch and his jaw is broken supposedly taking weeks to heal. He clearly didn't know khelben was a chosen of Mystra, and one of the most powerful archmages on Toril.

On another note, Mrs. Cunningham when are you publishing again in the Forgotten Realms setting? I love all your books (Danilo is my favorite character in the realms), you are one of my favourite authors. I wish I could read the continuing adventures of characters such as Liriel, Arilyn, Danilo, Elaith, Amlaruil, Kymil, and so on. We the fans miss your characters :)
The Sage Posted - 23 Aug 2012 : 05:47:38
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I have them all, too, in sight of my (home) computer, but I'd never taken the time to compile a nifty list, like yours.
It's always been on my "To-Do" list. But thanks to Hoondatha, I guess I'll also now be able to make a copy for when I next make my yearly re-read of the series.

Any truth to the rumor that you are almost halfway through the 2007 yearly Re-read list?

I'm working into 2007? Only in my dreams, friend Red Walker.
The Sage Posted - 23 Aug 2012 : 05:46:53
quote:

quote:

quote:

I have them all, too, in sight of my (home) computer, but I'd never taken the time to compile a nifty list, like yours.
It's always been on my "To-Do" list. But thanks to Hoondatha, I guess I'll also now be able to make a copy for when I next make my yearly re-read of the series.

I didn't need the list for that. I copied it for sharing it with others, when they ask. Properly attributed, of course -- I firmly believe in giving credit where credit is due.

Oh, I intend on doing the same. I just meant that I didn't readily have the time to put together my own listing.

Of course, sharing it both here and elsewhere, I will indeed ensure Hoondatha has the credit.
The Red Walker Posted - 23 Aug 2012 : 04:38:55
quote:

quote:

Any truth to the rumor that you are almost halfway through the 2007 yearly Re-read list?
Wooly Rupert Posted - 23 Aug 2012 : 04:21:26
quote:

quote:

I didn't need the list for that. I copied it for sharing it with others, when they ask. Properly attributed, of course -- I firmly believe in giving credit where credit is due.
The Sage Posted - 23 Aug 2012 : 01:42:03
quote:

Wooly Rupert Posted - 22 Aug 2012 : 18:07:21
quote:

Thanks, glad it was useful. I happen to have all of those books in order on a shelf near my computer, so it was easy to put together.

I got most of those books as they came out, and after the fire, replacing Realms materials was one of my first priorities.
Hoondatha Posted - 22 Aug 2012 : 15:55:59
Thanks, glad it was useful. I happen to have all of those books in order on a shelf near my computer, so it was easy to put together.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 22 Aug 2012 : 15:28:17
quote:

Good list, Hoondatha. I'm copying this post for future quoting.
HardKano Posted - 22 Aug 2012 : 14:41:28
Thanks for the information
Hoondatha Posted - 22 Aug 2012 : 14:39:15

HardKano Posted - 16 Aug 2012 : 17:02:40
quote:
Originally posted by Clad In Shadows

www.o-love.net has SOME connections and reading orders for certain books, but by no means is it an exhaustive list.

Yes I know that site, for i visit it regulary. But i look for a schema that link novels between them (like the Drizzt Saga is well listed on O-love site)
Clad In Shadows Posted - 16 Aug 2012 : 15:22:08
www.o-love.net has SOME connections and reading orders for certain books, but by no means is it an exhaustive list.
HardKano Posted - 15 Aug 2012 : 17:08:52
Is there a place where all connected books are listed ? Could be useful :)
Wooly Rupert Posted - 15 Aug 2012 : 16:12:22
quote:
Originally posted by Bionic Man

Do these books need to be read in order, or are they self contained?

Each book is self-contained; however, some are sequels of earlier books.

One of my faves from the series is book 5, The Ring of Winter, which is entirely self-contained and has no sequels. Other personal faves from the series include Elaine's books, and Masquerade, which is a sequel to the earlier Finder's Stone trilogy.
Bionic Man Posted - 15 Aug 2012 : 14:31:06
Do these books need to be read in order, or are they self contained?
Dennis Posted - 15 Aug 2012 : 07:24:20

Never heard of this before....

Thanks, Elaine, for the clarification.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 15 Aug 2012 : 04:51:13
quote:

I never read any of the Harpers books. Any good?

Some of them are quite enjoyable, like the ones by Elaine. Others are less enjoyable, and a few are forgettable. Of course, opinions vary on which ones are forgettable and which ones aren't...
HardKano Posted - 15 Aug 2012 : 03:21:09
quote:

I hope too ! I was reading the part in Chelimber Marsh :D (Chapter 7) tonight.

Now time to sleep, will continue tomorrow night :)
HardKano Posted - 15 Aug 2012 : 03:17:42
quote:

I'm on Elfshadow now and it's great ! (Harper #2)

I didn't read Harpers #1 because i read by main author of earlier books with their series
Bionic Man Posted - 15 Aug 2012 : 03:12:29
ElaineCunningham Posted - 15 Aug 2012 : 02:58:59
quote:

That makes a lot more sense. I thought it odd that he would be able to freely share a contracted novel, even if never published.

You may have noticed that Mark Anthony never posted the manuscript for Shores of Dusk online as a free ebook. There are reasons for this.
ElaineCunningham Posted - 15 Aug 2012 : 02:55:39
quote:

Hi,

The Sage Posted - 15 Aug 2012 : 02:16:09
quote:

A lot of people intend to write a book for the Realms. The fact that Mr. Moffat did, and the fact that it was not published, does not make it an "unpublished Realms novel"--at least, not in the sense that it was ever TSR/WotC intention to publish it.

He states that the book was not published as part of the Harper series because WotC discontinued this series. That is true, as far as it goes. But again, the ambiguous wording gives the impression that the book was contracted and then cancelled. I do not know for a fact that this is NOT the case, but from what I do know, it seems unlikely.
While I wasn't aware of the exact details you've noted in your post above, I did indeed imagine that the issue with Rise of the Blade supposedly being part of "The Harpers" series played out somewhat like this. I appreciate the clarification, Elaine.

I'm likely to drop this into my Candlekeep's Guide to Forgotten Realms FAQ, since I do recall this being an issue previously, here.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000