Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Prince of Ravens

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
jornan Posted - 01 Aug 2012 : 03:40:13
Anyone read this yet?
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Simon Phoenix Posted - 01 Dec 2012 : 10:02:54
Raven's Bluff is built atop the old dwarves city of Sarbreen, which in turn was built above the ruin of an ancient drow city. The drow attempted to create thier own version of a mythal, but they were unable to duplicate the high elven magic and were only partially successful. This is why wild magic leaks out and manifests itself in random people living in Raven's Bluff.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 01 Dec 2012 : 06:08:27
quote:
Originally posted by Simon Phoenix

*******spoiler**********

Jack survived by being encysted into the mythal stone because a member of the local wizards school foresaw a great catastrophe as a result of the wild magic and jack (spellplague). Raven's Bluff was supposed to explode in wildfire during the spellplague, but since Jack was the main conduit/release valve for the mythal, that never came to pass.

I liked the book, but I thought it ended suddenly. I'm curious as all hell about Myrkyssa Jelan, need more info about her.

Mythal stone? What, does Raven's Bluff have a mythal now?
Simon Phoenix Posted - 01 Dec 2012 : 01:54:46
*******spoiler**********

Jack survived by being encysted into the mythal stone because a member of the local wizards school foresaw a great catastrophe as a result of the wild magic and jack (spellplague). Raven's Bluff was supposed to explode in wildfire during the spellplague, but since Jack was the main conduit/release valve for the mythal, that never came to pass.

I liked the book, but I thought it ended suddenly. I'm curious as all hell about Myrkyssa Jelan, need more info about her.
Dennis Posted - 05 Sep 2012 : 05:25:36

Plus, the chaotic magic that spread upon the outbreak of the Spellplague granted immortality, or extended lifespan, to random individuals.
The Sage Posted - 04 Sep 2012 : 02:10:49
There is always the elixirs of youth/potions of longevity route, but, as Ed has said:-

"I'd say potions of longevity, elixirs of youth, and similar magical means of extending normal lifespan would be rare, highly-sought-after treasures. Real ones are likely to be well guarded ("in depth," including false potions [probably poisons] nearby for would-be thieves to be led to, instead), and NEVER offered for sale in shops (alchemists and powerful wizards may peddle a single potion, discreetly, to a wealthy buyer approached on a one-to-one basis, usually passing off the potion as "discovered among the treasures of Archwizard X after his unfortunate demise at the hands of Y").

That does not mean longevity magic is unknown to the very wealthy, who often hire wizards to help them cheat death, or among powerful mages who try to devise their own life-extending or -renewing magics. You are right in supposing that at a certain power level its pursuit (and the results, however efficacious or otherwise) becomes common."
Wooly Rupert Posted - 03 Sep 2012 : 22:56:21
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

quote:
Originally posted by coach

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I'm skipping this one. Not just because of the ebook format, or the fact that I've avoided most post-Spellplague fiction, but also because I find it rather unlikely that the main character and his worst enemy both somehow manage to survive the timejump.

I wasn't hugely fond of the original book, either.

why would they NOT survive?

Humans, around thirty years old....100+ year time difference in first novel to this one. When both characters miraculously survive, it makes some people scratch their heads.

That's exactly it, for me.
The Red Walker Posted - 03 Sep 2012 : 21:39:50
quote:
Originally posted by coach

quote:

I'm skipping this one. Not just because of the ebook format, or the fact that I've avoided most post-Spellplague fiction, but also because I find it rather unlikely that the main character and his worst enemy both somehow manage to survive the timejump.

Humans, around thirty years old....100+ year time difference in first novel to this one. When both characters miraculously survive, it makes some people scratch their heads.

Not me though, I'm just playing devils advocate....loved the first book and will read this one at some point.
coach Posted - 03 Sep 2012 : 20:32:02
quote:

phranctoast Posted - 10 Aug 2012 : 17:15:54
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

[quote]
Seriously, now, I don't have anything new to report.

How does the process work? Do you suggest what you'd like to write about and WOTC obliges or is it closer to the opposite?
Aulduron Posted - 09 Aug 2012 : 19:06:44
Now, if I could just punctuate, I might be able to write my own books.
ElaineCunningham Posted - 09 Aug 2012 : 14:06:16
quote:
Originally posted by Aulduron

I can't help but notice you didn't address any possible returns of either of the aforementioned characters to print.

It is gratifying to know that reading comprehension is not a lost art.

Seriously, now, I don't have anything new to report.
Aulduron Posted - 09 Aug 2012 : 03:05:50
I can't help but notice you didn't address any possible returns of either of the aforementioned characters to print.
ElaineCunningham Posted - 08 Aug 2012 : 23:39:29
quote:
Originally posted by phranctoast

Correct. As I was wishing for a new Liriel Novel or trilogy :)

Was I wrong to speculate?

Not wrong at all. Without speculation, what would any of us do on the internet?

The wording of your post made me wonder if Elaith had broken into some other writer's novel. It would be like him.
phranctoast Posted - 08 Aug 2012 : 18:25:09
Correct. As I was wishing for a new Liriel Novel or trilogy :)

Was I wrong to speculate?
Wooly Rupert Posted - 08 Aug 2012 : 18:15:00
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

I'm curious why you would say "Elaith is coming back." Is someone else writing a book about him?

My guess is that he's referring to the long-awaited The Serpent's Daughter, which will, assumably, feature Elaith.
ElaineCunningham Posted - 08 Aug 2012 : 14:39:28
I'm curious why you would say "Elaith is coming back." Is someone else writing a book about him?

Thauranil Posted - 03 Aug 2012 : 19:32:03
Yeah i just read whatever i get my hands on. After all its a bit difficult to get fantasy books in India so I got into the habit of reading whatever was at hand..
phranctoast Posted - 03 Aug 2012 : 13:47:57
I also don't read anything other than trilogies in the proper order. Not really by conscience choice, but by release date with newer books, and the certainty that older books are out of my chronological order.
Dennis Posted - 03 Aug 2012 : 02:19:35
quote:
Originally posted by Thauranil

I don't often bother with reading novels in the proper order

Neither do I. Whatever is available at the moment is what I read. So I end up reading in random at times; though I often re-read them in proper order when I get all the books in the series.
Thauranil Posted - 02 Aug 2012 : 14:23:55
quote:
Originally posted by jornan

Stardeep isn't so much a prequel as it came out before the Abolethic Sovereignty. Darkvison also introduces the sword that Kane uses in that series.

Yes well i meant it gives you some background info and stuff.
Anyway i read it after the Sovereignty trilogy . I don't often bother with reading novels in the proper order
jornan Posted - 02 Aug 2012 : 03:53:32
Stardeep isn't so much a prequel as it came out before the Abolethic Sovereignty. Darkvison also introduces the sword that Kane uses in that series.

As for Prince of Ravens...I thought it was entertaining, however it didn't quite live up to the hype that I have been giving it for the past ten years. I found that while Baker did a decent job of making sense of how Jack was able to survive the hundred year lapse, the book became bogged down in the explainations of the events of the last book and the spellplague and so on and so forth. I also thought the plot and characters other than Jack were a little lazy. Much rehash and revisting. His old theiving partner was too old now, but his son looked/acted just like him. I couldn't help wondering if Richard finishing this book after his position at Wizards was terminated had anything to do with it.

I really like Richard Baker as an author, I loved the Blades of the Moonsea and the original Jack Ravenwild novel is one of my all time favs. Now that Jacks storyline has moved into the new century and the old loose ends are tied up I would love to see his character placed in a new plot with new intrigues. I really hope Richard keeps writing realms fiction.
The Sage Posted - 02 Aug 2012 : 02:06:40
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

quote:

Was Raidon Kane in any other novels other than the Abolethic Sovereignty?

Maybe in Stardeep. I haven't read that book, so I'm not certain.

You're right. Stardeep according to description does have Raidon Kane. I'll likely check that out.

You might also want to look into Darkvision, written is by Bruce Cordell as well. It's kind of spiritual-thematic precursor to the entire Abolethic Sovereignty saga.
Thauranil Posted - 01 Aug 2012 : 20:15:17
quote:

quote:

quote:

You're right. Stardeep according to description does have Raidon Kane. I'll likely check that out.

It does indeed have Kane. Its like a prequel and its quite a decent read.
Dennis Posted - 01 Aug 2012 : 19:44:33

I hope so. Though I have a feeling we'll instead see Drizzt all over the place.
phranctoast Posted - 01 Aug 2012 : 19:17:08
Ok.. Lets go Wizards of the Coast.. Make it possible ;)

Given what they're doing right now with the Rise of the Underdark, she instead of Elaith makes a batter case for coming back at this time.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 01 Aug 2012 : 19:10:30
quote:

I'm ready for Liriel to make a comeback. Please make it possible EC!!! Elaith will be coming back... I'd like to see how Liriel fared post SP.

That's up to WotC, not Elaine.
phranctoast Posted - 01 Aug 2012 : 18:55:48
quote:

quote:

Dennis Posted - 01 Aug 2012 : 18:43:57
quote:

phranctoast Posted - 01 Aug 2012 : 18:41:54
I'm ready for Liriel to make a comeback. Please make it possible EC!!! Elaith will be coming back... I'd like to see how Liriel fared post SP.
phranctoast Posted - 01 Aug 2012 : 18:39:05

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000