Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Ed and the next FR

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Patrakis Posted - 05 Jun 2012 : 05:22:22
This article is quite intriguing. I thought i'd share it here.

http://www.wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx?x=dnd/bookwyrms/20120605

It seems Ed will be very involved in the next version of the realms.

Pat
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
see Posted - 10 Jun 2012 : 06:02:01
The egg looks promising, but I'm not going to count my chickens yet.
froglegg Posted - 10 Jun 2012 : 00:48:10
quote:
Originally posted by Soturno

Ed at the helm, of course! But would be nice to have Jeff Grubb as first mate!

AMEN!

John
deserk Posted - 10 Jun 2012 : 00:25:02
A lot of what I liked about the Realms was destroyed in the Spellplague, to the point where I don't really have much confidence nor hope for FR's future. Doubtful that anything short of resurrecting most of the destroyed nations and gods of 4E would really get me interested in this new Realms.

Although would be happy if that bastard Cyric finally got killed...
Matt James Posted - 09 Jun 2012 : 23:07:21
I'm very excited for all of this and more. I hope I can continue to provide for the Realms in some fashion. Ed at the helm is indeed a good thing.
Old Man Harpell Posted - 09 Jun 2012 : 11:34:15
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

*** Markustay doing Otto’s Irresistible Dance *** (don't picture it... its not a pretty a sight)

quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

I'm going to marry this book.
And when your at work, it will be cheating on you with me!!!

Seriously people, 4e is dead, and Ed's being put in charge - why are we still at each other's throats? I feel like Will Smith and Jeff Goldblum a the end of Independence Day - where's my cigar.. I hear the fat lady singing!!!

Lets all meet-up at Gencon and shake our money-makers (or what yur momma gave ya)! Huzzah!!!

Well, I dunno if I'd go that far celebration-wise, but we have a lot to look forward to:

*The Ed Greenwood Presents Elminster's Forgotten Realms tome - seriously, each and every Realms aficionado should be stoked about this. Here will be the Realms as envisioned by Greenwood the Great (if I may borrow a Tolkien-esque location name) himself, free of the hands of others.

*The same Greenwood the Great will have a major say in where the 'official' Realms is going from here. Sure, we may get some stuff from people who 'don't get it', but we can hope that Ed will have some major influence over what gets published. And we can hope that he will be able to do some major repair work on the Realms a la ESdB's thread on the topic. Because Creation knows, it needs it.

My Vestments of the Candlekeep Grognard are still on the hook where I put them after these things were announced - and I will do my very best to leave them there until I see what Wizbro allows Ed to do. I can always put them back on if I don't like what I see, after all.

- OMH
Markustay Posted - 09 Jun 2012 : 05:52:02
*** Markustay doing Otto’s Irresistible Dance *** (don't picture it... its not a pretty a sight)

quote:

And when your at work, it will be cheating on you with me!!!

Seriously people, 4e is dead, and Ed's being put in charge - why are we still at each other's throats? I feel like Will Smith and Jeff Goldblum a the end of Independence Day - where's my cigar.. I hear the fat lady singing!!!

Lets all meet-up at Gencon and shake our money-makers (or what yur momma gave ya)! Huzzah!!!
Jeremy Grenemyer Posted - 09 Jun 2012 : 05:27:45
quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

I think Ed being this involved in the Realms is a good thing. Even though we don't know the full capacity, his book coming out should at least make a lot of people happy.
I'd wager that how well the "Ed Greenwood Presents" sells will have some bearing on his level of involvement on anything else Realmsian.

Over the years WotC has regularly tested the waters with new book designs and content ratios (fluff to crunch) to see what people will buy.

"Maybe", in this case, is good enough reason to both buy the book and to tell a friend to buy the book. Send a clear message to WotC.
Razz Posted - 09 Jun 2012 : 05:27:34
quote:
Originally posted by Eltheron

quote:
Originally posted by Hawkins

*casts Otto’s Irresistible Dance*
Hey, lets remember that this scroll is a celebration of a victory won by the fans of the Realms. And while I value (and even agree with some of) the opinions being voiced, please take it elsewhere.

So you want people to shut up, basically?

Calling this a victory is premature at best. We have no idea how this will play out. It might be referring only to the upcoming pub in October, and maybe nothing else. Until we get some confirmation and their intent is better described, we don't really know anything.

Frankly, I'm tired of promises and teasing. Give me something concrete.

I agree with this. If they're talking about that one upcoming book, then I don't see that as a victory. Especially if that book is going to do what I think it's going to do --- revisit, once again, Realmslore we have had for an edition or two already. Maybe with a little extra spice, but still the "same old-same old". That's my guess, anyway. I won't know until I get my hands on it and see for myself or hear about it on the forums.

Now if Ed is producing much, much more content than that upcoming book, then I can call that victory.

Honestly, if they can finally cover regions of the Realms that have sorely needed it for years upon years (Lantan, Sossal, Veldorn, Old Empires, Bloodstone Lands, and all the non-Faerunian continents, to name a few) then I can call that a huge victory.

I have to say, and I am sure there are quite a number that will agree, but I am quite sick of the Sword Coast/Waterdeep/Dalelands/Cormyr/Silver Marches/Thay content overload I have been seeing in all the editions of the Realms. Cover something new for once, or hardly covered at all.

So let's hope the Realms that is coming will see a much more expansive world than it is now. Since, as I mentioned before, the Realms feels, and has been written that way it seems, for years as a rather small place considering the amount of material rehashed in the same regions over and over again.
Razz Posted - 09 Jun 2012 : 05:06:44
quote:
Originally posted by Matt James

quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

"...in some ways the Realms has veered away from Ed's original vision."

-And they realized that just now? Oh well, better late than never.

That's not really fair, Dennis . They are acknowledging the issue and are taking steps to correct it. This didn't happen today, or this week.

For the record, I have to disagree. I believe it's a perfectly fair thing to say at this point. Especially after the latest fiasco aka the Spellplague/4E.

If it is not fair to say it now, exactly when would be a good time to point it out?
Dalor Darden Posted - 09 Jun 2012 : 00:58:19
quote:

quote:

You don't read comics?

Alternate Universes are all the buzz ya know.

Not so much, for those very same reasons. Though I am contemplating on picking up the Walking Dead series, as grotesque as that one is. I've been following the show since it began and I'm a pretty big "Zombie" buff, so it make sense. Marvel and DC......yea I'll pass.

I only had a little sarcasm in there.

I used to be a HUGE fan of Thor, Wolverine and such...but they actually started losing me when the Beyonder came along and after that things got a little too complicated.

As for Ed's book...hope you find it useful!
Diffan Posted - 09 Jun 2012 : 00:34:26
quote:

quote:

I think Ed is a Fantastic setting designer and we wouldn't have the wonderful setting we do today without him. But, as preposterous as this sounds, I'm pretty fine with all the RSEs that have taken place in the last 20 years. I was ok with the Time of Troubles, the Return of Bane, the Return of the Archwizards, the reclimation of Myth Drannor, and even the Spellplague. Those are parts of the Realms that I just feel are a part of it's rich history and unique background.

If Ed's book talks about this stuff and the book has a lot of material I can use in my 3E and 4E Realms games, I can see myself buying it. But if it's a divergent book that shows a "what-if?" sort of scenario, i'll just pass.

You don't read comics?

Not so much, for those very same reasons. Though I am contemplating on picking up the Walking Dead series, as grotesque as that one is. I've been following the show since it began and I'm a pretty big "Zombie" buff, so it make sense. Marvel and DC......yea I'll pass.
Eltheron Posted - 09 Jun 2012 : 00:10:51
quote:

Hell...you don't see a book of Realmslore by Ed Greenwood as a victory? Even if he doesn't get another shot for another long period of time, THIS is a victory. It is something folks have been asking for FOR YEARS.

I don't know what it will be. You don't know either.

It could be a book of general lore you can add to any edition. It could be Ed's Realms, an alternate world. It could be an update of old 2e material.

After all the hype, promises, teasers, and all that, I want to see it before I buy anything, Ed being involved or not. The 4e fiasco killed my trust.

Dalor Darden Posted - 09 Jun 2012 : 00:07:33
quote:

I think Ed is a Fantastic setting designer and we wouldn't have the wonderful setting we do today without him. But, as preposterous as this sounds, I'm pretty fine with all the RSEs that have taken place in the last 20 years. I was ok with the Time of Troubles, the Return of Bane, the Return of the Archwizards, the reclimation of Myth Drannor, and even the Spellplague. Those are parts of the Realms that I just feel are a part of it's rich history and unique background.

If Ed's book talks about this stuff and the book has a lot of material I can use in my 3E and 4E Realms games, I can see myself buying it. But if it's a divergent book that shows a "what-if?" sort of scenario, i'll just pass.

You don't read comics?

Diffan Posted - 08 Jun 2012 : 23:48:40
quote:

quote:

Doubt I'll buy it as I'm happy with the way things are but I'm happy for others none the less.

BLASPHEMER!

Seriously...you wouldn't want to have this book?

Dalor Darden Posted - 08 Jun 2012 : 23:41:33
quote:

Doubt I'll buy it as I'm happy with the way things are but I'm happy for others none the less.

BLASPHEMER!

Seriously...you wouldn't want to have this book?

Diffan Posted - 08 Jun 2012 : 23:36:25
I think Ed being this involved in the Realms is a good thing. Even though we don't know the full capacity, his book coming out should at least make a lot of people happy. Whether or not it has any "official" elements, such as reversing anything, or if it's just his own version he's sharing with us I hope it gives people direction and idea for their own campaign. Doubt I'll buy it as I'm happy with the way things are but I'm happy for others none the less.
Dalor Darden Posted - 08 Jun 2012 : 23:28:44
quote:
Originally posted by Eltheron

quote:

Hey, lets remember that this scroll is a celebration of a victory won by the fans of the Realms. And while I value (and even agree with some of) the opinions being voiced, please take it elsewhere.

Calling this a victory is premature at best. We have no idea how this will play out. It might be referring only to the upcoming pub in October, and maybe nothing else. Until we get some confirmation and their intent is better described, we don't really know anything.

Hell...you don't see a book of Realmslore by Ed Greenwood as a victory? Even if he doesn't get another shot for another long period of time, THIS is a victory. It is something folks have been asking for FOR YEARS.

Nobody said a war had been won...victory is gained one battle at a time...one victory at a time.
Eltheron Posted - 08 Jun 2012 : 22:46:42
quote:

Brimstone Posted - 08 Jun 2012 : 20:36:22
quote:

Faraer Posted - 08 Jun 2012 : 20:34:45
Celebration is good, but it also seems to me that what it will mean if 'the Realms [having] veered away from Ed's original vision' is corrected and he's moved back to the rudder (not just part of the team as he's generally been), what the effect will be and how we'll tell the difference, is directly on point for this thread.
Dalor Darden Posted - 08 Jun 2012 : 19:21:45
What in the sam-hell happened here?

Ed at the Helm...even if he isn't the sole member of the ships crew, damnation he is at least there!

Buncha damnable s around here some days!

Lock the damn thing down so it isn't watered to hateful oblivion!
Hawkins Posted - 08 Jun 2012 : 18:52:59
Jeremy Grenemyer Posted - 08 Jun 2012 : 18:41:29
quote:
Originally posted by Therise

Jeremy, you are always ready to support designers, new or old, from any edition.
I think that’s as close as I will ever get to a compliment from you.

Thank you.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 08 Jun 2012 : 18:26:57
quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Grenemyer

When it comes to new game designers, I’m just as tempted as any other longtime fan to review with a critical eye anything written by a game designer whose name I don’t readily know.

It’s easy to look at anything new-to-the-Realms that new designers write and conclude “Oh this guy just doesn’t get it/Ed would have done it better/this is new stuff by a new guy so it must be wrong.”

The problem with this is it clouds your judgment before you even have a chance to decide if you like what you just read.

When we as fans automatically separate out new designers from old, we get away from the fact that one of the Realms’ greatest strengths is having multiple creative hands in the pot.

Instead of pigeonholing new game designers as interested in only looking for by-lines, I think it’s better to remember most of the older, seasoned game designers were once new guys; they probably wanted their by-lines too and they had corporate bosses every bit as interested in making a profit as game designers have to deal with nowadays, but they still managed to do great work because they were passionate about the Realms.

I think the trick to doing that great work lay in mixing experienced freelance designers who “get” the Realms with in-house designers who have new ideas *and* are passionate about the Realms.

Ed should be a part of this team, of course, but the vision should be a shared one and not something emanating from one person.

If they do that for 5E, I think the Realms will be on the right track.

RE: the Halaster character theme: this theme disappointed me because it seemed to reduce Halaster’s fate to a footnote for the sake of character creation.

The concept of multiple clones and minds riding other minds can be found all throughout Ed’s novels, so it’s not un-Realmsian, but I think the Halaster concept could have been cleaned up to make it a lot less clunky/convoluted in terms of its backstory.

I think you do us a disservice by saying we're dismissing the efforts of unknown designers out of hand. I think it safe to say that most people here will look at designers the same way I do: see what they produce for the Realms, and then decide how they regard that person's work.

There are designers whose work I don't like, and it's based solely on what they've done for or to the Realms. And at least one (I'm not naming names) has been around since 2E.
Diffan Posted - 08 Jun 2012 : 18:22:54
Oh FFS it's just a game. No one's forcing you to use it (if you even do use 4E material) and if you do, no one is forcing you to apply it to your games. No wonder a lot of people shy away from the Realms, because everythign has to be so GD melodramatic.

I'm out.
Therise Posted - 08 Jun 2012 : 18:20:19
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

...I like Ice cream and I like Fish, but I don't want fish Ice cream...

What if it's special Spellplagued Fish Ice Cream? It floats, and has tiny aberrations in it, yum!

Therise Posted - 08 Jun 2012 : 18:17:28
quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Grenemyer

When it comes to new game designers, I’m just as tempted as any other longtime fan to review with a critical eye anything written by a game designer whose name I don’t readily know.

Jeremy, you are always ready to support designers, new or old, from any edition. I would probably die of shock if you ever said anything negative about a specific designer.

quote:
It’s easy to look at anything new-to-the-Realms that new designers write and conclude “Oh this guy just doesn’t get it/Ed would have done it better/this is new stuff by a new guy so it must be wrong.”

The problem with this is it clouds your judgment before you even have a chance to decide if you like what you just read.

Wrong. Having a critical eye is important. As it so happens, I think Erik Scott de Bie is someone who totally gets the Realms. And he's one of the younger set.

Many other new designers can (and have) published things that are relatively average and at least don't hurt the Realms. But that's not the same as really getting it.

Markustay Posted - 08 Jun 2012 : 18:10:52
Its not so much the new guys that bothers many of us, but rather the new flavors some of them bring to the table.

Not saying those flavors are bad. I like Ice cream and I like Fish, but I don't want fish Ice cream. Everything has its place, and FR shouldn't be 'the place for everything'.

This also isn't a '4e thing' - a lot of this began in 3e. A major part of the problem was diverging from the original (and game-friendly) "uncertain third person" presentation, to the very dry, factoid style 3e was done in.

When looking for specific lore, I often find myself going to 3e sources, but when just grabbing something to read in the john I'll grab a Volo's Guide (or just about any other pre-3e source) every time. 1e/2e books read more like a story, and that was part of The Realms' charm. By getting rid of that, they cut-out a very large portion of FR's fanbase - the non(P&P)-gamers.
Jeremy Grenemyer Posted - 08 Jun 2012 : 18:02:31

When we as fans automatically separate out new designers from old, we get away from the fact that one of the Realms’ greatest strengths is having multiple creative hands in the pot.

Instead of pigeonholing new game designers as interested in only looking for by-lines, I think it’s better to remember most of the older, seasoned game designers were once new guys; they probably wanted their by-lines too and they had corporate bosses every bit as interested in making a profit as game designers have to deal with nowadays, but they still managed to do great work because they were passionate about the Realms.

I think the trick to doing that great work lay in mixing experienced freelance designers who “get” the Realms with in-house designers who have new ideas *and* are passionate about the Realms.

Ed should be a part of this team, of course, but the vision should be a shared one and not something emanating from one person.

If they do that for 5E, I think the Realms will be on the right track.

RE: the Halaster character theme: this theme disappointed me because it seemed to reduce Halaster’s fate to a footnote for the sake of character creation.

The concept of multiple clones and minds riding other minds can be found all throughout Ed’s novels, so it’s not un-Realmsian, but I think the Halaster concept could have been cleaned up to make it a lot less clunky/convoluted in terms of its backstory.
Therise Posted - 08 Jun 2012 : 17:56:37
By "powergamers" I wasn't talking about the abilities specific to this theme, I was talking about the way powergamers think and what they strive to be.

It's no longer interesting enough to be a human adventurer, with personal reasons for taking up swords or spells. Lately, you have to be an angel, deva, dragon(born), or the scion of some deity.

Here, you aren't just related to Halaster in some convoluted way. You ARE Halaster, the mad archmage himself! The Archmage of Archmages, who might've been the left hand of Mystra! Who is to say that you won't have access to all sorts of weird and overpowered magics with time, really? Heck, you might even fully become Halaster - or maybe you're a blend of Bhaal and Halaster, muahahah!!! Even mo'betta, you might be a blend of fallen Azuth and Halaster, with powerz extreme someday! Isn't that kewl?!?!?!

No, it's not. It's one step away from some clown at WotC deciding it'd be great as a novel, and then before you know it you've got canon. It's freaking ridiculous. It's only Realmsian on the surface. It's the Realms multiplied by {obnoxious} and given a hefty jolt of Spellplague, the Plot Device to end all plot devices.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000