Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 GenCon Indy 2012: 25 Years of the Realms

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 09 May 2012 : 02:23:06
Well met, all,

The James brothers and I are hosting the second annual (first formal*) Candlekeep Seminar at GenCon this year to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the Forgotten Realms.

(*This event is a follow-up to our informal Candlekeep seminar from 2011, which took over the entire bar at the Marriott.)

https://registration.gencon.com/events/32627

If that link doesn't do it for you, it's Seminar Event #32627, Thursday, August 16, 8 p.m. - 10 p.m., Crowne Plaza : Victoria Stn A/B (which is apparently where a lot of seminars are being held this year)

The celebrity guest list is still being compiled, but you can rest assured that there will be people there you will want to see. Stories will be told. Secrets unveiled. There might be a dance. Who knows?

Come celebrate the Realms with us authors, designers, and fans!

Cheers
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Wooly Rupert Posted - 22 Aug 2012 : 04:44:25
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

Here's a blog post wherein I tried to capture the 4.5 hour event into a list/discussion of the secrets unveiled. Enjoy!

http://erikscottdebie.com/?p=507

Cheers

It all sounds promising!
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 22 Aug 2012 : 04:12:15
Here's a blog post wherein I tried to capture the 4.5 hour event into a list/discussion of the secrets unveiled. Enjoy!

http://erikscottdebie.com/?p=507

Cheers
Kris the Grey Posted - 22 Aug 2012 : 03:25:55
It was, indeed, a great event. Thank you all for putting it together. I, my wife, and my friends very much enjoyed it.

It was also a pleasure to put a face to a name for the panelists and fellow scribes in attendance. I look forward to seeing you all at future events.

The give away (a very well made, well designed pin) was fantastic. All four of us wore them on our badge lanyards for the rest of the convention!
ericlboyd Posted - 21 Aug 2012 : 18:24:51
quote:
Originally posted by Matt James

Great photo! Thanks for capturing it :)

Great photo. In my defense, I was actually editing something I've been writing on the Realms for fun. Paul looked over my shoulder, so he can attest that is true. ;-)
Matt James Posted - 21 Aug 2012 : 16:52:41
Great photo! Thanks for capturing it :)
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 21 Aug 2012 : 15:53:32
Great picture, Hieronymous!

For reference, that is, from left to right: Brian Cortijo, Ed Greenwood, Jim Lowder, me (Erik Scott de Bie), Matt James, Richard Lee Byers, Eric Boyd, Paul Kemp.

Cheers
Hieronymous Posted - 21 Aug 2012 : 14:49:43
New user to the Forums here. I signed up for this event at Gencon since I've been a frequent visitor to the Realms in books and games (even though I still yearn for Greyhawk occasionally). Here is a picture of the room towards the end of the evening. It was initially scheduled to be a 2 hour event, but it lasted well past that, partially due to the keynote. It was great to see so many contributors show up and talk about the future of the Realms. I ran into Ed throughout the convention, and caught Erik and Brian at the D&D pavillion as well (Erik is even taller than I am).
I captured about a minute of video of Ed talking about one of his amusing encounters with the suits, I'll try to get that up on the YouTubes or some such.
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/_0RMx9BJPxgNGj769s0su-RcE_NI2vhm7FGDi8lRQBE?feat=directlink
Ashe Ravenheart Posted - 21 Aug 2012 : 13:11:00
Also, I'll try not to schedule anything that follows the event, so I don't have to step out before it's over!

(Although, in my defense, it WAS the Glittery Guild Burlesque that I was off too...)
Matt James Posted - 21 Aug 2012 : 12:44:40
Next year we will definitely be doing what we can to record either audio, or audio and video. As this was the inaugural event, it was more of an improvised event. That being said, it was amazing to see so many diehard Realms fans. It was very inspiring.
Hawkins Posted - 20 Aug 2012 : 21:45:02
Thanks, Erik. I wanted to get more of a feel for what was talked about before postulating any questions. I will wait for your forum/blog post and go from there.
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 20 Aug 2012 : 20:31:52
Unfortunately, Hawkins, it was a 4.5 hour event at which there was LOTS of stuff to talk about, and Matt didn't arrive until after the keynote anyway (after 9 p.m.), so a recording didn't get made, and a transcript is really difficult to put together.

I am, however, endeavoring to formulate a "what was addressed" piece, which should appear here on Candlekeep within a couple of days. I currently have it out to other panelists for input, and I'll let you know when it arrives.

Possibly, I'll post it on my website, because it's currently 7.5 single spaced pages long, and I expect it to get longer.

For now, I'd happily answer questions.

Cheers
Hawkins Posted - 20 Aug 2012 : 19:06:34
Hi. I know I asked this last week, but I am hoping that now that some of the dust has settled, that someone got audio/video/transcript of this seminar and can upload/post a link to it.

Thanks,
Hawkins
Arcanus Posted - 17 Aug 2012 : 23:53:07
quote:
Originally posted by Delwa

quote:
Originally posted by Hawkins

quote:

Edit
According to the D&D twitter feed, you can watch last night's announcements here:
www.twitch.tv/wotc_dnd/b/328881758
Thanks, I was having trouble getting the video to work at my work, so I downloaded the audio version on The Tome Show. I was specifically hoping for audio/video of "25 Years of the Realms" since there was a rumor that Matt James might record it a couple of month's back.

Thanks for that so much! My phone won't play the video (or I don't have the patience for the thing to buffer,) but I can download this mp3.
It is much appreciated.

+1 for that.

Ed really does have a really good voice, it gives him great presence on stage.
Delwa Posted - 17 Aug 2012 : 21:34:44
quote:

quote:

Edit
According to the D&D twitter feed, you can watch last night's announcements here:
Thanks, I was having trouble getting the video to work at my work, so I downloaded the audio version on The Tome Show. I was specifically hoping for audio/video of "25 Years of the Realms" since there was a rumor that Matt James might record it a couple of month's back.

Thanks for that so much! My phone won't play the video (or I don't have the patience for the thing to buffer,) but I can download this mp3.
It is much appreciated.
Hawkins Posted - 17 Aug 2012 : 20:55:51
quote:

Edit
The Red Walker Posted - 17 Aug 2012 : 20:25:42
And there were "decision makers" for wotc who joined the candlekeep seminar and soaked it in.

We were asked if the was any interest in a product that was fiction or a sourcebook. Just a book full of facts and goodies about the world of Faerun. No mechanics, no rules, just juicy bits.

Everyhand in the room raised I believe. So that's exciting. Truely, everything is on the table.
Delwa Posted - 17 Aug 2012 : 19:48:13
quote:

Did anyone film/record this? I would love to either watch or listen to it.

Hear hear! I tried watching the live stream, but neither Panera's wifi nor my phone's 3G could keep an understandable audio going once Ed came onstage.

Edit
Hawkins Posted - 17 Aug 2012 : 19:24:05
Did anyone film/record this? I would love to either watch or listen to it.
Irennan Posted - 17 Aug 2012 : 17:49:34
Oh, thank you.
The Red Walker Posted - 17 Aug 2012 : 17:28:01
quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

So, if I may ask, what did you talk about, how was the meeting?

I posted most everything I could remember in the live update scroll....

http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16818
Irennan Posted - 17 Aug 2012 : 09:42:14
So, if I may ask, what did you talk about, how was the meeting?
The Red Walker Posted - 16 Aug 2012 : 14:44:38
quote:
Originally posted by Garen Thal

quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Tyrant
Who all is planning on going to the keynote anyway? When I saw the announcement for it I signed up. Does anyone who is going know the best route over to the Candlekeep get together?
It's a pretty straight shot. The keynote is in the Indiana Roof Ballroom, which is entered through (on top of?) the Indiana Repertory Theatre--on West Washington between Capitol and Illinois Avenues. The Candlekeep Presents seminar is at the Crowne Plaza, on West Louisiana Street, between those same avenues. So either one works, really, as a quick route (it's three quite-long blocks, so one can make it in less than 10 minutes).

On the other hand, one could cross the street to the Hyatt, take the escalator up to the second floor, take the sky bridge to the convention center, walk along to the other bridge, and cross into the Crowne Plaza that way, but it adds a couple of minutes. Then again, those are mostly air conditioned minutes, so one buys what one can with one's hours...

Is the Candlekeep seminar on the second floor of the crowne plaza? I'm not familiar with that hotel.

I think someone here said Victoria station a &b ?

Victoria station A/B is on the first floor. That's where the seminar will be.

Thanks and see you there.........if it's as chilly as the room for Ed's Spin a Yarn was a few years back....you won't want to forget the hot tea
Garen Thal Posted - 16 Aug 2012 : 13:54:52
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

quote:

quote:
Who all is planning on going to the keynote anyway? When I saw the announcement for it I signed up. Does anyone who is going know the best route over to the Candlekeep get together?
It's a pretty straight shot. The keynote is in the Indiana Roof Ballroom, which is entered through (on top of?) the Indiana Repertory Theatre--on West Washington between Capitol and Illinois Avenues. The Candlekeep Presents seminar is at the Crowne Plaza, on West Louisiana Street, between those same avenues. So either one works, really, as a quick route (it's three quite-long blocks, so one can make it in less than 10 minutes).

On the other hand, one could cross the street to the Hyatt, take the escalator up to the second floor, take the sky bridge to the convention center, walk along to the other bridge, and cross into the Crowne Plaza that way, but it adds a couple of minutes. Then again, those are mostly air conditioned minutes, so one buys what one can with one's hours...

Is the Candlekeep seminar on the second floor of the crowne plaza? I'm not familiar with that hotel.

Victoria station A/B is on the first floor. That's where the seminar will be.
The Red Walker Posted - 16 Aug 2012 : 00:22:50
quote:

quote:

Faraer Posted - 15 Aug 2012 : 23:16:31
To all at the Candlekeep seminar, I wish you well! Thank you to those organizing and presenting it with their own time. A bit of me will be there as I observe across the sundering sea. Drink one for me.
Bakra Posted - 15 Aug 2012 : 14:47:24
quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

^ What HE said!!!

What they said!

Kris the Grey Posted - 15 Aug 2012 : 13:15:59
As I bundle up my varied gaming and costume junk (and my wife and another of my gamers and their junk!) into the SUV for the 14 hour drive from Connecticut to Indiana, I want to take one last opportunity to remind my fellow Candlekeepers of the Realms game I will be running at the convention:

My little adventuring opportunity: RPG1238454 Play Yourself Adventures (in Faerun) (https://registration.gencon.com/events/38454). It is Saturday night from 6 to whenever (midnight at the earliest).

Please take a peek and give it some consideration. I'll be in the crowd watching the Candlekeep event for certain, so if you have any questions, please do ask me when you see me (I'll make it a point to be obvious, think 'what would a cross between Raistlin and Manshoon dress like?' and you'll find me. Lol) I'd love to meet some of the august scribes hereabouts.

See you at the Con!
Alystra Illianniis Posted - 14 Aug 2012 : 21:42:08
^ What HE said!!!
Arcanus Posted - 14 Aug 2012 : 20:08:18
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

I am currently participating in some key discussions about the coming announcements, and I assure you, you WANT TO BE AT THIS SEMINAR.

That is all.

Cheers

I think I can safely speak for everyone when I say we all want to be there Erik lol.
Markustay Posted - 14 Aug 2012 : 19:49:17
Looks like I am going to have to re-purchase some novels just so I have stuff for folks to sign.

quote:
Originally posted by Matt James

Um... I just saw the final result of what we're giving away to you all. It... is... epic...

Turned out way better than my mind imagined.

Can't wait to see you all there!
If its what I think it is (which I have a mere inkling of), then yeah... "blown away" is an understatement.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000