Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 The Most Influential Netherese Archwizard

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Dennis Posted - 14 Apr 2012 : 04:40:20

That is, influential to the growth and development of Netheril. We may have different definitions of ‘influential,’ and that’s fine. I would share this, from Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English: adj. having a lot of influence and therefore changing the way people think and behave.
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
LordofBones Posted - 27 Jul 2014 : 19:07:45
The most influential are Telamont and his fellow Shades.

Larloch isn't influential. Larloch is insanely powerful, but he's like the Realms version of Divyath Fyr; whenever something momentous happens he just looks out the window, shrugs, and declares it to be another Tuesday.
The Masked Mage Posted - 27 Jul 2014 : 16:22:01
Also, the list fails to mention Trebbe:

Trebbe
Birth/Death: 1567-1622
Alignment: Chaotic neutral
Class: 28th-level archwizard (mentalist)
Hit Points: 48
Str 11; Dex 14; Con 13; Int 19; Wis 14; Cha 13
The archwizard Trebbe was probably one of the most prolific spell creators of Netheril. His area of expertise, magic that protected the arcanist, permitted spell duels to last beyond the first fleeting moments of concentration as well as increased the life spans of those arcanists who experimented with volatile magic (including Karsus’s experimentation with heavy magic).
In 1592, Trebbe established the enclave of Shadowtop Borough. It was a center for magical research and trade with neighboring humanoids, but it was also the site for the creation of an evil and twisted artifact, the Crown of Horns. A spellcasting accident in 1622 killed Trebbe while he was completing work on the Crown of Horns.

While he was not around very long his influence was this: he is the father of modern protection magic in the realms - the lengths that influence goes to alone is insane to think about. According to the names section he invented the spells: antimagic shell, detect evil, detect invisibility, detect magic, detect scrying, detect undead, globe of invulnerability, identify, know alignment, minor globe of invulnerability, spell turning, weird, and wizard eye. Given that list I would also bet he is the guy who came up with the mantle spell from Secrets of the Magister.

His write up even says it was his work that made Karsus' work possible!

He founded Shadowtop burrough which had a lot special about it you can read more about in the book if you want :)...

He made the crown of horns.... that's right all the stuff that has happened over the years as a result of the crown of horns is influenced by this guy... including the return of Mykrul!

That is quite a resume if you ask me :D Karsus eat your heart out :P
Murmur Maelstrom Posted - 26 Jul 2014 : 08:55:44
Other! If you wanted an individual that was a member of the society, then it should be Ioulaum. BUT... The most influential being was likely the Terraseer, for leading the Netherese around by their noses (not really, but with hints and suggestions).
Drustan Dwnhaedan Posted - 24 Jul 2014 : 09:29:20
Most definitely Larloch.
The Masked Mage Posted - 24 Jul 2014 : 06:53:32
I have to agree with Wooly on this. The most "influential" is likely Larloch or another contemporary we've not heard of who has been working secretly for thousands of years. Think of how often we come across a powerful spellcaster working to achieve amazing ends without ever revealing themselves. That is Larloch and likely ALL of the half dozen or so others who Ed has confirmed exist but has not given any details about. When you look at the timeline of the realms, there is enough open space that a single powerful spellcaster can be a part or even the force behind many major realms changing events... In a similar line of thought, there is no way to know that numerous powerful NPCs we know of were not all just assumed identities of a spellcaster, who picks up all and moves on when things get too rough...
Nicolai Withander Posted - 06 Jan 2014 : 14:28:22
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Gyor

Larloch and the others rule nothing and are simple undead relics, nor do they run schools of magic. While they are around, they are not players on Telamonts level.

And 50+ enclaves divided by as many Archwizards, while Telamont only has two under his control, Sakkors and Shade, but he has a whole bunch of ground cities as well.

None has anywhere near the power or influence politically of Telamont. Telamont is the biggest player on Faerun while, while the others hide in thier crpyts. No contest.

Wow, you must not be familiar with Larloch... Larloch does his own thing, working layers within layers within layers. He is likely the most powerful non-divine entity on all of Toril, and not seeing what he is doing does not mean he's not doing anything.

The others I've named have also been around for centuries. You think they've simply sat on their duffs for all that time? Again, not acting in the open is not proof of inactivity.

Dont forget the Srinshee... I think she could put up a fair fight against Larloch, and were they to battle knowledge, I think her 4200 ish years would come in handy.
Dennis Posted - 05 Jan 2014 : 09:13:39
quote:
Originally posted by charger_ss24

It comes down to Ioulaum, Karsus and Telamont and a strong case can be made for either one. IMO, Ioulaum and Karsus were the most influential in the rise and prosperity (and downfall) of ancient Netheril. Telamont is most influential for the return of present-day Netheril.
This. While I agree with Gyor that Telamont indeed is the most influential Netherese archwizard at the present, those that predated him had done (arguably) far more remarkable things during the rise (and fall) of their empire.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 02 Jan 2014 : 00:04:25
quote:
Originally posted by charger_ss24

It comes down to Ioulaum, Karsus and Telamont and a strong case can be made for either one. IMO, Ioulaum and Karsus were the most influential in the rise and prosperity (and downfall) of ancient Netheril. Telamont is most influential for the return of present-day Netheril.

I can agree that he is certainly the most influential in Netheril, now.
charger_ss24 Posted - 01 Jan 2014 : 17:37:55
Wooly Rupert Posted - 01 Jan 2014 : 17:26:27
quote:

Larloch and the others rule nothing and are simple undead relics, nor do they run schools of magic. While they are around, they are not players on Telamonts level.

And 50+ enclaves divided by as many Archwizards, while Telamont only has two under his control, Sakkors and Shade, but he has a whole bunch of ground cities as well.

None has anywhere near the power or influence politically of Telamont. Telamont is the biggest player on Faerun while, while the others hide in thier crpyts. No contest.

Wow, you must not be familiar with Larloch... Larloch does his own thing, working layers within layers within layers. He is likely the most powerful non-divine entity on all of Toril, and not seeing what he is doing does not mean he's not doing anything.

The others I've named have also been around for centuries. You think they've simply sat on their duffs for all that time? Again, not acting in the open is not proof of inactivity.
Gyor Posted - 01 Jan 2014 : 16:52:27

Wooly Rupert Posted - 01 Jan 2014 : 02:33:17
quote:

Telamont. The rest or dead or undead molding in thier tombs, while Telmont rules all of Netheril except Selunarra, and guides the research of that entire Empire. He's reasonable directly or indirectly for all Post Spellplague Post Netherese wizardly magic. An entire art redefined. And he's one of the ones whose adapting Netherese wizardy to the weave rewoven post Sundering.

He is a master of the Arcane and Shadow magic, probably the single most powerful current politician in Faerun running Shade, the Netherese ground cities, Sembia, a couple of dales, Gloomwrought and who knows how many other places, in multiple planes.

Also the City of Shade survived, the rest, except Selunnara did not.

The others were of great influence, in the distant past, only Telamont is a current player.

I just don't see any real competition for Telamont here, Telamont wins on staying power, politics, multiple magical power sources, keeping his people and culture alive, for current influence on the current Netherese magical tradition, and so much more.

Ioulaum, Larloch, and Aumvor are all still around. Are they not current players? We also know that there are other Netherese still around, ones who -- unlike Telly -- actually stuck around and remained in the Realms.

As for all of Netheril, it was once 50+ enclaves. Now it's 3. That's hardly all that remarkable.

I'm not trying to knock Telamont, but I do think his influence is being overestimated, here.
Gyor Posted - 31 Dec 2013 : 23:21:03
Telamont. The rest or dead or undead molding in thier tombs, while Telmont rules all of Netheril except Selunarra, and guides the research of that entire Empire. He's reasonable directly or indirectly for all Post Spellplague Post Netherese wizardly magic. An entire art redefined. And he's one of the ones whose adapting Netherese wizardy to the weave rewoven post Sundering.

He is a master of the Arcane and Shadow magic, probably the single most powerful current politician in Faerun running Shade, the Netherese ground cities, Sembia, a couple of dales, Gloomwrought and who knows how many other places, in multiple planes.

Also the City of Shade survived, the rest, except Selunnara did not.

The others were of great influence, in the distant past, only Telamont is a current player.

I just don't see any real competition for Telamont here, Telamont wins on staying power, politics, multiple magical power sources, keeping his people and culture alive, for current influence on the current Netherese magical tradition, and so much more.

Wooly Rupert Posted - 31 Dec 2013 : 14:29:09
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

Perhaps a tie between Ioulaum and Karsus. While Ioulaum is the man who "started it all," Karsus considerably set the bars so high for any archwizards. He was (arguably) the most powerful archwizard, and the most brilliant. He provided external motivation for any archwizards to keep improving on their spellcraft--to outdo him.

And destroyed all of Netheril, which no other archwizard did, and certainly influenced the nation.
Dennis Posted - 31 Dec 2013 : 12:17:46

Perhaps a tie between Ioulaum and Karsus. While Ioulaum is the man who "started it all," Karsus considerably set the bars so high for any archwizards. He was (arguably) the most powerful archwizard, and the most brilliant. He provided external motivation for any archwizards to keep improving on their spellcraft--to outdo him.
George Krashos Posted - 31 Dec 2013 : 04:05:29
In the published sources, I would agree with you.

-- George Krashos
The Arcanamach Posted - 30 Dec 2013 : 15:28:40
Iolaum, honestly, is there anyone else on the list that even comes close to his influence? Through him we actually get the rise of magic all over the Realms for millennia to come.
Dennis Posted - 15 Jun 2012 : 07:41:31
quote:
Originally posted by Xar Zarath

That is exactly what they did in Evereskas, Khelben, Storm and hmm was there also Alustriel(this one i am not so sure) unleashed their silver fire everytime it recharged and directed it into the Mythal, which provided it with a magical boost and helped to shore up its defenses, mainly allowing it to fire meteor swarms at Phaerimm still in Evereska.

Oops, I must have missed that part. Well, in that series, I tend to forget the parts where the Shadovar and the phaerimm were not featured.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 13 Jun 2012 : 14:30:18
quote:

That is exactly what they did in Evereskas, Khelben, Storm and hmm was there also Alustriel(this one i am not so sure) unleashed their silver fire everytime it recharged and directed it into the Mythal, which provided it with a magical boost and helped to shore up its defenses, mainly allowing it to fire meteor swarms at Phaerimm still in Evereska.

My mistake, then. I've not read those books in quite some time, because I rather dislike them.
Xar Zarath Posted - 13 Jun 2012 : 13:45:54
Wooly Rupert Posted - 13 Jun 2012 : 04:45:30
quote:

Ah, but hadn't he and Elminster used silverfire in rebuilding the City of Hope? They blended their magic with several other people's Weave-based magic, including those who once were their foes. Granted it's not a mythal...But the mythal itself mainly taps magic filtered from the Weave. So if other Weave-based magic can blend with silverfire, why can't the mythal?

My point is that perhaps a mythal requires delicate magics, not the flood of raw power represented by silverfire.
Dennis Posted - 13 Jun 2012 : 04:11:48

Ah, but hadn't he and Elminster used silverfire in rebuilding the City of Hope? They blended their magic with several other people's Weave-based magic, including those who once were their foes. Granted it's not a mythal...But the mythal itself mainly taps magic filtered from the Weave. So if other Weave-based magic can blend with silverfire, why can't the mythal?
Wooly Rupert Posted - 13 Jun 2012 : 04:02:46
quote:

Looking back, shouldn't have Khelben, as a token of friendship, shared even a dollop of his silverfire during the reconstruction of Evareska's mythal?

Do we even know how silverfire and a mythal would interact? The two may not interact well with each other... If I want a drink of water, a water fountain gives me exactly what I need. A firehose would also give me water, but it's not in a format I can readily use.
Dennis Posted - 13 Jun 2012 : 03:18:52

He's proven himself a good friend to the elves so many times the elves have lost count. Besides, he has elven blood in him. So, no, I wouldn't think it an insult. What they should have considered an insult is Galaeron's shadow magic---the very type of magic that partly caused the collapse of their mythal.
Sightless Posted - 13 Jun 2012 : 03:03:21
Wouldn't such a gift insault the one being given to, as it says that you can't do it on your own. I'm not sure, I've never sure on how much of a near eastern feel they are going for here. They've captured it in some senses but not in others.
Dennis Posted - 13 Jun 2012 : 01:48:11

Looking back, shouldn't have Khelben, as a token of friendship, shared even a dollop of his silverfire during the reconstruction of Evareska's mythal?
Xar Zarath Posted - 06 Jun 2012 : 11:23:33
Well in the Last Mythal series all that is mentioned is that their mythal is still weak from the phaerimm and shades, but other than that im not so sure what has happen since the Spellplague...maybe its much more healthier now?
Dennis Posted - 06 Jun 2012 : 07:22:30

Has there been any reference to Galaeron's "small" contribution in rebuilding their mythal in any recent elfish novels? Does the Evareskan mythal now function as good as it did before the phaerimm attack, or better? [You see, I don't normally read elfish stuff, so...]
Xar Zarath Posted - 06 Jun 2012 : 06:08:51
True and perhaps with whatever knowledge he has of shadow magic thanks to Melegaunt, he could have help shore up the defenses of the mythal
Dennis Posted - 31 May 2012 : 05:51:20
quote:

They certainly would have hidden many of Evereska's treasures. Still the possibility of using another shadowshell on Evereska would be useless. Galaeron helped with reconstructing the mythal so now it bears a part of the shadow weave, if they used a shadowshell, the mythal would probably keep on chugging since it can presumable draw shadow energy too...

It's a possibility, as I said in my above post. However, Galearon is just one. And a Shadowshell is constructed by several archwizards. The Shadowsell might as well weaken the Weave-based magic of the Evareskan mythal while at the same time picking the shreds of shadow magic that Galaeron cast on the mythal and have it join/link to the shell itself.

On the other hand, I recall that Galaeron saw for himself how the Shadover created the Shadowshell, so maybe he'd learned a way or two about its weakness, and applied that knowledge when he helped reconstruct their mythal.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000