Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Rhauntides and Rhauntides' Tower

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Dalor Darden Posted - 18 Apr 2012 : 01:15:30
Replying in another thread, I was looking at the map of Highmoon and remembered reading about ol' Rhauntides here:

http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=12213&SearchTerms=Rhauntide

However, I would like to compile as much information about the fella as possible...does anyone know of anything beyond the above mentioned thread regarding this wizard?

I'm even willing to accept homebrew information at this point...the less I have to make up for my home campaign now the better!

WOULD REALLY LIKE A MAP OF THE TOWER IF POSSIBLE!

I had thought of making Rhauntides a mentor of the elven group within human lands...and Highmoon is an excellent place for a group of elves to mix with humanity dominated areas...even over Shadowdale.

Thanks for anyone offering any help!
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
The Arcanamach Posted - 02 Oct 2018 : 11:41:33
Resurrecting thread:

GK: I'm running with the idea of Rhauntides being an 'awakened reborn' (one who has their memory...and full abilities...restored). Mystra and Azuth awakened him so that he could retrieve the Belt of Stars and use it for some purpose that I've yet to determine. I'm treating the belt as an anchoring point for the Weave but that's not why it needs to be in his hands. After all, the gods could simply hide it and let it rest unmolested.

Also, in my homebrew, Rhauntides/Thornar is one-quarter elven so his lifespan will be on the longer end for a human (and as a side effect of the Belt, the wearer's aging process is halted while it is worn). For the record, I don't think Rhauntides actually died in the 1370s but faked his death and moved elsewhere. This explains why he didn't leave his property to his wife and why she took the belt and left. Or, if he is 'dead' then he has merged with the belt.

At any rate, some possible ideas for why the Belt of Stars is currently in use:

1. It strengthens the Weave in the area that it is located in. This has a stabilizing effect that makes magic somewhat easier to access in the region. Rhauntides moves on to another area after his 'death' to strengthen the Weave elsewhere.

2. There are evils in the Dales (such as fallen Tsornyl) that the Belt can help combat on some level or otherwise mitigate. At the very least, it's proximity to the area allows Rhauntides to rapidly deploy his power should things go awry in the Dales.

3. Archendale is a bit too aggressive and Mystra desires stability in the region. The belt helps give the Swords of Archendale pause before considering a move against their neighbors. Fallen Sessrendale suffers from a weakened connection to the Weave as a result of the destruction of life in the area by the Archens a century ago. This has the benefit of tying in with option #1 as Rhauntides can covertly go into the area to strengthen the areas' connection. (My current campaign takes place in Sessrendale and the farmland is just now beginning to be restored...though the very few farmers in the area are barely scratching out a living).

Any further lore (canon or not as I don't follow canon 100%) on Rhauntides or the Dales as well as further ideas are welcomed.
Markustay Posted - 18 Apr 2012 : 22:36:43
Hey George, there is an easy work-around for the "reborns can't be wizards" rule.

2e didn't have Sorcerers.

As for his death - that could have been 'greatly exaggerated'. If I wanted him to still be around (and not violate canon), I would just say he and Shaunil faked his death, for whatever reason (perhaps he acquired a powerful enemy?)

The death-faking can be taken however far you want - a better mage (Elminster or Khelben) could have helped him get a clone, and is 'death' could have been real (but temporary). So many ways to play this, really. If you really wanted to tie it all together, connect it to the Monk School somehow (they are gaurdians of some artifact, or have some secret lore, or maybe they are really a front for some evil group the Harpers wanted to keep tabs on, and the place is 'bugged'). Whatever - its your Realms - just make the lore work for you.
Dalor Darden Posted - 18 Apr 2012 : 02:36:14
Excellent! Thanks for that George!
George Krashos Posted - 18 Apr 2012 : 02:17:40
Yes, good old Rhauntides. He was not treated very well by the 3E design team. I did what I could for him but it really grated on me that the reason for his death appeared to simply be that they wanted to show off their new monk school 3E concept. That's a prime example of the "I've got such a good idea, let me staple it onto a 'real' part of the Realms canon to give it some "exposure" schtick ... *sigh*

There is a mention in the "Secrets of the Magister" sourcebook that there was a Reborn living in Highmoon. I latched onto that and thought that Rhauntides was a Wise Reborn (although I do recall that there was some issue with that - something about Reborns not being able to be wizards after their return ... that said, Mystra can do anything she wants so there may be exceptions to the rule. Alternatively, Rhauntides may have been considered to be a wizard due to his Wise Reborn innate spellcasting ability supplemented by a bunch of spellstoring magic items - notably the Sash of Spells detailed in VGttD).

I had conceptualised that he was the Magister Thornar Fleetmoor (reigned 1274DR to 1278DR) reborn and that Thornar had come across one of the greatest secrets of his predecessors: the location of the Sphere of Spells (noted in the write-up of Nelorth "Firefists" Broamshoulder). It was from the Sphere of Spells that Thornar/Rhauntides had obtained the Sash of Spells and after his death, Shaunil Tharm sought to return it there at his direction.

The outcome of Shaunil's mission is one unknown to sages ...

-- George Krashos

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000