Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 What is your favorite realms Lore/Mystery?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
jordanz Posted - 07 Apr 2012 : 06:07:17
Mine-

Mystery - Asmodeus and his true nature. I have a whacky theory that he is actually an undercover agent of Good...

Lore - would be the kingdom of Ostoria. I would love to read about the time when Giants ruled all...
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Thauranil Posted - 28 Apr 2012 : 08:25:10
quote:
Originally posted by BEAST

quote:
Originally posted by Thauranil

That makes sense though if Jarlaxle wanted revenge on Artemis he certainly took his time about it, but then he is a patient little mastermind.

Methinks Entreri is just misattributing blame, and misremembering the details of what happened. He's pissed at Jarlaxle for the flute/Calihye/the Kingdom of Vaasa/being forced to realize the tidbits of his sordid past, so Jar makes an easy scapegoat.

But in "The Third Level", Entreri recalls that he ran away from Memnon to go live in Calimport at age 9, while in ROTP we're told that Entreri was sold as a slave by his own mother at age 12. Methinks "TTL" reflects how Entreri's psyche misrembered the truth, allowing him to construct a self-serving fantasy in which he had been the master of his own destiny (intentionally running away vs. being sold away), and idealizing his mother as some sort of saint. But ROTP shows us that he was actually the victim of forces outside his own control. And that is the last thing Artemis Entreri ever wanted to see himself as being.

So it's entirely possible that Entreri is just settling on a convenient explanation for how this condition of servitude came about, without possessing any factual foundation thereto.

Maybe it serves to maintain his feeling of indignation at the way Jarlaxle manipulated him in "The Sellswords". This is just one more thing he can blame Jar for. It easily fits the pattern, in Entreri's mind.

Yes frankly Jarlaxle did not seem interested in Entreri at all in any of the 4E books, he is content with his dwarf buddy Athrogate ( who must a pleasant change from the moody, surly Entreri).

BEAST Posted - 27 Apr 2012 : 23:52:18
quote:

That makes sense though if Jarlaxle wanted revenge on Artemis he certainly took his time about it, but then he is a patient little mastermind.

Methinks Entreri is just misattributing blame, and misremembering the details of what happened. He's pissed at Jarlaxle for the flute/Calihye/the Kingdom of Vaasa/being forced to realize the tidbits of his sordid past, so Jar makes an easy scapegoat.

But in "The Third Level", Entreri recalls that he ran away from Memnon to go live in Calimport at age 9, while in ROTP we're told that Entreri was sold as a slave by his own mother at age 12. Methinks "TTL" reflects how Entreri's psyche misrembered the truth, allowing him to construct a self-serving fantasy in which he had been the master of his own destiny (intentionally running away vs. being sold away), and idealizing his mother as some sort of saint. But ROTP shows us that he was actually the victim of forces outside his own control. And that is the last thing Artemis Entreri ever wanted to see himself as being.

So it's entirely possible that Entreri is just settling on a convenient explanation for how this condition of servitude came about, without possessing any factual foundation thereto.

Maybe it serves to maintain his feeling of indignation at the way Jarlaxle manipulated him in "The Sellswords". This is just one more thing he can blame Jar for. It easily fits the pattern, in Entreri's mind.
Markustay Posted - 27 Apr 2012 : 19:29:51
Alas, I would have to say that would be counter-intuitive, and destroy its intended (and rather clever) purpose. Once its detailed, it can no longer be a 'catch-all' explanation of where new (D&D) stuff comes from.

Maybe just giving us some data on size and such, and why and where it is, etc... and maybe some minor detailing of the area where Laerakond (Returned Abeir) came from. Too much detail, as I said, would ruin it as a tool for change.

You also bring-up an interesting point, and one that ties-in well to my mega-setting approach. What if 'Abeir' is a catch-all itself? Maybe its some ancient (celestial/fiend/creator) term for "parts that where lost". Once again, that makes all other settings 'Abeir'. On the other hand, I still think 'Forgotten Realms' serves that purpose better (and leave Abeir a separate and distinct world).

By the same token, what if something like this occurs all over the cosmos, and not just with Abeir-Toril? We do have some old-school lore regarding this: Ravenloft has been swapping Realms-around since forever. That means a locale on Krynn may wind-up on Abeir, and then eventually on Toril. Same goes for any other settings - parts of them could theoretically get swapped around from time to time.

Which brings me right back to the mega-setting concept (and how new DMs can build their own worlds from modular regional sourcebooks). I know... I should leave that dead horse alone.

Both Marvel and DC have rebooted their continuities a number of times, and things got swapped-around (most prominently during the short-lived Amalgam universe, which combined DC with Marvel... which was also VERY cool). The theory works like this - after a major 'cosmic conflagration', the world gets rebooted, and some things change, and (almost) no-one remembers 'the way it was'. That may seem a bit gimmicky, but if it worked for comics, the same sort of thing could work for us.

In fact, I was sort-of using just that approach with my Nentir Vale conversion. The folks living there don't remember being anywhere else, and the folks outside of the Vale (in The North) kinda remember Nentir Vale always being there... yet strangely, they can't find any written accounts of interaction between the two going back more then a decade or so (and 'old-timers' can't seem to recall specific details about certain things, and start to get angry when questioned too much). I based that bit on the canon lore that Ao can make people forget stuff, and cloud their memories in such a way as to remember them differently (which is also precisely what happens in Ravenloft, when domains get swapped-around).

Which means reality itself is a matter of perception. Change one, and you change the other.

Sorry for the off-topic slant of this post, but I find Abeir fascinating. Not the world itself so much, but rather, what it represents in D&D lore (another realm which may behave in similar ways to Ravenloft).
Jeremy Grenemyer Posted - 27 Apr 2012 : 17:33:41
A mystery I want to learn more about is what’s Abeir like?

If it’s really a twin of Toril and not just one of countless worlds and realities the Realms is (or were) connected to, then what makes it so special?

Are there other continents on Toril that have enjoyed a regular connection to Abeir prior to the Spellplague?
Markustay Posted - 27 Apr 2012 : 17:09:38
Oh geeze, since when did folks start taking ME seriously?

My point was that nothing is written in stone, and you can't say one thing is more powerful then another, because if an author/designer wanted it to turn out differently, it would (even if the outcome was absurd).

I didn't know Erevis originated from Westgate - I only know of him from his first trilogy. Regardless, see my point above - stating-out NPCs is worthless, since levels (and abilities per RAW) are meaningless when writers write. If someone (official) decided a six-year-old could kill Larloch with a rock, then it would happen, end of story.

Which is why all the "who would win..." threads are meaningless. Besides, I like pushing that particular button once in awhile... sorry Dennis.

On Topic:
As for mysteries, I want ED GREENWOOD to write a concise creation of Abeir-Toril for 5e. I want to know how he thinks 'it all went down', form the War of Light & Shadows, to the primordials, to the Sundering, to the Creator races. I think he is the only one capable of seemlessly blending it all together. Thats the mystery I want to learn about - the more 'modern' ones should mostly remain, because they give us juicy plothooks. That ancient stuff doesn't really effect our games (but it might effect the RSE-style novels... which is why I want them NERFED). I'm tired of Faerûn's pre-history changing with each edition.
Bakra Posted - 27 Apr 2012 : 14:45:45
quote:
Originally posted by crazedventurers

quote:
Originally posted by Bakra

I always wondered what the original goddess(?) of Magic looked like. In the days before humans mastered magic, much less roamed the planet, I doubt she looked human.

Well she would like like a unicorn, from Ed's own words

Cheers

Damian
ps below is my third favourite piece of Realmslore

Well met again, all. Your Lady Hooded One returns (thank you for that naming, Wooly Rupert!), with Ed’s latest:

Hi, Wooly Rupert. Well, now: Nobanion and Lurue are, of course, the Lion and the Unicorn of British nursery rhyme fame (with all the meanings that go with that, too; they are among other things the supporters of the royal coat of arms for that country, and in many other coats of arms associated with England).

Yet they’re also MUCH more than that. For me, I have to be able to imagine a deity with some awe, and I often do it by attaching to them emotions evoked by other fiction. So, the Lion is also Aslan the Lion in The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis (Christian allegorical fantasy classics soon to appear in a Disney movie that * might * turn out to be okay, and already on film in any number of BBC adaptations down the years, some of them superb). The Narnia books are hated by some, loved by others, but chock-full of little heart-wrenching scenes regardless, and are among the top-selling English-language fiction books of all time.

I didn’t mean my lion-god to BE Aslan, of course; as you saw in that DRAGON article, a lot of names were placeholders at the time, waiting for Mr. Gygax to round out the “official” (Greyhawk) pantheon. Aslan has that name because he has evoke that “awe” for me. The name “Aslan” is Indian in origin (India, not native North American), and the lion is of course a Christian symbol for ‘the King’ from way back, hence its lavish use in royal heraldry.

So “Aslan” went away the moment TSR decided to publish the Realms (mustn’t lift central characters from other authors, even in homage, though I did unwittingly [i.e. I’d forgotten] sneak one direct homage into the Realms [Aglarond, for Tolkien], and beat another well-known fantasy author to a name by coincidence, coining the name “Ashaba” for the river that runs through Shadowdale years before David Eddings used it in his Malloreon books).

Lurue is my own invented name, but it started almost as the deity’s ‘private’ name, with “Silverymoon” being her popular one (and, yes, the city of the same name was originally envisaged as the root and center of her faith). Not only is Lurue the Unicorn of “the Lion and the Unicorn,” she’s also the mysterious, eponymous unicorn from the children’s book THE LITTLE WHITE HORSE by Elizabeth Goudge, AND she’s also meant to evoke the Unicorn of Amber, in Roger Zelazny’s classic Amber books (where the Unicorn inspires awe even among the jaded royal family who use her as their badge). She was always meant to be mysterious, and there’s very little about her that didn’t go into POWERS & PANTHEONS that doesn’t now contradict the published Realms.

Originally, Lurue WAS magic—before Julia Martin added the name “Weave” to my GenCon explanations of ‘the great web of magic that’s everywhere in Toril, binds Toril together, and IS Toril,’ Lurue was the embodiment of the Weave. As such, she could teleport without error or limit, through all barriers and spells, was immune to all known magical [and psionic] effects, could raise dead, heal, regenerate and restore with the touch of her horn—and also spew silver fire from it—and so on. Her very proximity dispels illusions and curses, purifies and neutralizes poisons and taints, and purges diseases. And on and on. [To the usual chorus of “Look, yet another all-powerful Greenwood munchkin!” I reply: Yes. Of course. This is THE all-powerful goddess, and she’s also whimsical. We can’t understand why she does what she does, so she can’t be controlled, or act like any sort of tyrannical munchkin, any more than a mountain range or an ocean can be.] She tended to be as curious as a newborn babe, utterly fearless, and kind to injured creatures. And yes, I tucked in the “patron of virgins, but can also make barren wombs bear” folklore, too. Only virgins could ride her, and those who did got that silver hair the Chosen who are Mystra’s daughters all share, and ‘wild talent’ innate magical abilities, and were marked for special tasks and achievements all their lives.

The TSR designers quite rightly (given the humanocentric core of that version of AD&D, with its level and power limits on non-humans) wanted human gods to be front and center and of the greatest power and importance, so Mystra (most important to intelligent creatures trying to USE magic) became also the Guardian or Mother of the Weave, and Lurue sort of . . . danced sideways. To become the awe-inspiring mystery she is now.

Now, as for the Knights of the Unicorn, I do have more, but dare not pass it on right now for fear of trampling on something another creative person is already working on, in the Realms. That’s one rule I’m going to be very careful not to break, no matter how much we all want to delve into lore and secrets of the Realms. So: sorry, and I hope you’ll understand.

Ahh, I thought the original poster meant underneath WotC rule. But I would support the idea of making her the magic diety in the 5E Realms.

Thauranil Posted - 27 Apr 2012 : 08:58:11
quote:
Originally posted by BEAST

quote:

I would like to know how exactly Artemis ended up enslaved to a jumped up half devil shade commander.

In his mind, Jarlaxle betrayed him and arranged for it. We're also told that the blade turned on him.

So maybe Jar had a little convo with the blade and enticed it to turn on Entreri, thereby making him a sitting duck for the Shadovar to come in and claim him?

BEAST Posted - 25 Apr 2012 : 22:59:24
quote:

I would like to know how exactly Artemis ended up enslaved to a jumped up half devil shade commander.

In his mind, Jarlaxle betrayed him and arranged for it. We're also told that the blade turned on him.

So maybe Jar had a little convo with the blade and enticed it to turn on Entreri, thereby making him a sitting duck for the Shadovar to come in and claim him?
Dennis Posted - 25 Apr 2012 : 13:15:51
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

The Sojourner could have taken down Shade by himself, and Everis Cale made the Sojournor his b****, and Everis was from Sembia...

Which is why novels shouldn't be canon.

Novel characters trump EVERYTHING - just feel fortunate RAS has not decided to turn Drizzt loose on the Shade, otherwise we'd see The Thousand Shadovar.

The only reason Cale was able to kill Vhostym was because he was ready to die...His incurable disease was eating him inside out, and there's no reason for him to fight back because he's fulfilled his dream---casting the Rain of Fire. Even the lowliest inhabitant of shade (kitchen maid, if you want) could have killed The Sojourner at that exact moment. Were Vhostym on the height of his powers during their confrontation, he could have pulverized Cale without even lifting a finger.
Thauranil Posted - 25 Apr 2012 : 13:08:53
BEAST Posted - 25 Apr 2012 : 04:54:04
quote:

Novel characters trump EVERYTHING - just feel fortunate RAS has not decided to turn Drizzt loose on the Shade, otherwise we'd see The Thousand Shadovar.

Hee hee!

I am reminded of that scene from the first Austin Powers in which Dr. Evil announces his ransom and initially quotes far too low of a price, only to be corrected, and to then pull out something more appropriate-sounding for a criminal mastermind for this day and age.

quote:
"So yeah, I've just about finished my manuscript for the next Drizzt book, and it was a blast writing it. We're calling it The Thousand Shadovar.

*Ahem* *Psst* "Bob--er, um . . ."

"Wha'? What did I say?"

Editor subtly points thumb up and pumps hand upward, indicating Bob should raise the number a bit.

Bob doesn't get it.

"OK, look here, Bob. That's already been done before, right? The Thousand Orcs ring a bell? So you gotta go bigger, this time."

"Alright. Ten Thousand Shadovar?"

The thumb gesture flashes again.

"What?! Ten Thousand and One Shadovar? Why are you hassling me on this, man?"

The thumb flails erratically, barely perceptible with its wild thrusting.

"Fine! The Bazillion Shadovar! Are you happy, now?!"

The extended thumb is joined by the other fingers on the hand, and the editor's face is promptly planted squarely into the palm.

Lord Karsus Posted - 25 Apr 2012 : 04:51:40
-Yeah. Throughout the course of most of the book, his Slaadi servants were more than a match for Cale & Co.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 25 Apr 2012 : 04:02:32
quote:

The Sojourner could have taken down Shade by himself, and Everis Cale made the Sojournor his b****, and Everis was from Sembia...

Erevis hailed from Westgate, before Sembia, as I recall. And by the time Erevis took on the Sojourner, Soji had already accomplished his goal and was on the way out. It's not much of a fight when one participant is dying and doesn't fight back.
Markustay Posted - 24 Apr 2012 : 22:19:24

Dennis Posted - 24 Apr 2012 : 07:37:37
quote:

However, using the RW as a base, that only works for so long. Eventually people are going to realize who/what the real threat is, and put-aside their hatreds.

And when they realize that, it'd be too late, as Shade must have nearly drained them of their resources. That's what happened to Sembia.
George Krashos Posted - 21 Apr 2012 : 05:58:50
quote:
Originally posted by EltonJ
Number 1: How is Magratha the Mad important to the realms and why was she so mad? There's a story there. :)

Auguthra?

-- George Krashos
Markustay Posted - 20 Apr 2012 : 18:31:50
You answered your own question: Mystra can cut Cyric off from the Weave. We are talking about a narcissistic megalomaniac - he cannot abide ANYONE 'lording it over him' (even Ao).

Also, he must have finally realized he didn't need the Weave - there were alternatives.

I will agree with the wanting to know more about Auguthra. There are at least three other 'mad' NPCs I'd love to learn more about.

Maybe there are some things mortal minds were not meant to handle?
EltonJ Posted - 20 Apr 2012 : 17:25:26
My favorite mystery is this.

Number 1: How is Magratha the Mad important to the realms and why was she so mad? There's a story there. :)

Number 2: How come the Deities act impatiently and completely without rhyme or reason? For instance, Cyric slaying Mystra. There is no reason for that to happen. Cyric hates Mystra, but Mystra can cut Cyric off from the Weave.
Markustay Posted - 20 Apr 2012 : 15:53:04
So what you are saying is that if they try to use their power overtly, they will galvanize normally contentions factions into allying to be rid of them. They can take on anyone, but not everyone at once.

I suppose that makes sense - keep your neighbors squabbling while you drain their resources. Hmmmm... I am once-again reminded of a certain RW nation...

However, using the RW as a base, that only works for so long. Eventually people are going to realize who/what the real threat is, and put-aside their hatreds.

Hopefully I will be able to pull more from the series - right now I am thinking of the Shades as a bit two-dimensional, which they probably aren't. I am still hoping the Drow will give them a run for their money in the upcoming RotU arc - I think two evil monolithic powers clashing is far more interesting then the old & tired 'good vs evil' thing.

Dennis Posted - 19 Apr 2012 : 21:53:07
@ MT:

Not entirely separate. If one wishes to keep something mysterious, he writes about it as sparsely as possible, and let others 'guess.'

Almost everyone is at odds with Shade, not just Larloch. That's why Telamont chooses his action very carefully. He doesn't want to draw the attention every powerful being and realm in the world. That's the reason he ordered his son, Rivalen, to stop the Shadowstorm (something no stupid lich or realm could have ignored) as swiftly as possible.

Lord Karsus Posted - 19 Apr 2012 : 21:26:23
quote:

Shades make no-sense. They are either monolithic, or they are not - you can't have it both ways.

-Why? Two things:

(A) There are plenty of Shades (creature race), but they all aren't Shadovar (Netherese citizenship), so you'll run into plenty of Shades who have nothing to do with Netheril. Artemis Entreri, for example (though he's not fully a Shade).

(B) Are the residents of T'u Lung a monolithic entity? You can have a bunch of people pledging allegiance to whoever, but scheming and doing their own thing on the side, that may or may not conflict with what the person/people they're pledging allegiance to has in mind.
Markustay Posted - 19 Apr 2012 : 16:25:47
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

quote:

3e) I want to know how Larloch feels about the return of Netheril (and the 'new' Netherese), AND 4e) how he feels about the Emminance of Araunt, and any clashes they may have had.

Larloch is one of the 'big guns' of the setting, and I think both editions dropped the ball by not addressing these concerns.

Because it looks like they intend to continue treating Larloch and his myriad of nefarious schemes a mystery.
Keeping Larloch 'mysterious', and telling us how he feels about the return of the Shade Enclave (and their rather delusional belief that THEY are the Netherese Empire) are two separate things.

Part of his (canon) background tells us he is greatly interested in - and acquiring - any Netherese artifacts uncovered. The Shades believe they are the rightful 'heirs to all things Netheril' - thats a direct conflict of interest. Throw in the fact that two other uber-(Netherese)Liches feel the same way, and that at least two other groups of 'baddies' (Thay and the Zhents) also feel that way - that Netherese artifacts should be their property - you would think that most of the evil-types would have sided with the 'good guys' to get rid of the Shades long ago. ESPECIALLY in light of how quickly and easily they dispatched the Zhents (who stood toe-to-toe with the Red Wizards for decades in trying to run Sembia).

They are too big a threat to EVERYONE to have simply been ignored. On the other hand, if they are that powerful - enough to keep the whole world at bay - then why haven't they done more in the past century?

Shades make no-sense. They are either monolithic, or they are not - you can't have it both ways. I have started reading the RotAW trilogy finally, so hopefully at least some of my questions will be answered.

And to be honest, I am actually MORE interested in how Larloch feels about the Eminence of Araunt - they are even more directly at-odds (since he controls so many liches, and wishes to control all of Toril's portals - thats a double conflict right there).
Dennis Posted - 19 Apr 2012 : 12:18:17
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

3e) I want to know how Larloch feels about the return of Netheril (and the 'new' Netherese), AND 4e) how he feels about the Emminance of Araunt, and any clashes they may have had.

Larloch is one of the 'big guns' of the setting, and I think both editions dropped the ball by not addressing these concerns.

quote:

Can the goddess of Luck run out of luck? She has, during the Dawn cataclysm. She had to double-down.

How to murder the god of murder? First you get a incompetent pissant thief, give him a sword thats really the gods of thieves...

Where is Ao now? Rolling over in his grave, or on the beach in Maui - take your pick. Either way, he's given-up on the Realms (I guess that makes Ao a grognard).

Pretty sure Ed address Larloch's thoughts on Shade, but I don't have that file handy -- still at work.

Yes. They're scattered in the archives. A quick search reveals some pertinent tidbits.

Haven't found them. What year?

I'd like to think some of the surviving Netherese archwizards, Larloch included, are plotting to put an end to Shade's ambition...
Dennis Posted - 19 Apr 2012 : 12:15:31
quote:

Because it looks like they intend to continue treating Larloch and his myriad of nefarious schemes a mystery.
The Sage Posted - 19 Apr 2012 : 01:05:49
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

quote:

Can the goddess of Luck run out of luck? She has, during the Dawn cataclysm. She had to double-down.

How to murder the god of murder? First you get a incompetent pissant thief, give him a sword thats really the gods of thieves...

Where is Ao now? Rolling over in his grave, or on the beach in Maui - take your pick. Either way, he's given-up on the Realms (I guess that makes Ao a grognard).

Pretty sure Ed address Larloch's thoughts on Shade, but I don't have that file handy -- still at work.

Yes. They're scattered in the archives. A quick search reveals some pertinent tidbits.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 18 Apr 2012 : 23:59:46
quote:

quote:

Veritas Posted - 18 Apr 2012 : 23:57:57
What does Elminster really keep in his beard?
Markustay Posted - 18 Apr 2012 : 23:12:05

quote:

Thrasymachus Posted - 15 Apr 2012 : 04:30:13
What side of the river Daggerford is on.
Dennis Posted - 15 Apr 2012 : 02:09:27

Can the goddess of Luck run out of luck?

How to murder the god of murder?

Where is Ao now?

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000