Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 War !

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Synthalus Posted - 18 Feb 2011 : 12:34:27
If you were going to wage war across fair faerun And you were given the command of one of these choices of units which would you choose?

these choices are completely random and please feel free to conquer the realms with whatever you see fit, but please choose one of these if you think it fits your personality.
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Wooly Rupert Posted - 20 Dec 2014 : 19:50:02
quote:
Originally posted by Gyor

5000 priestesses of Sharess, including a mix of Celebrants of Sharess, Dancers of Sharess, 5e Sharessin Paladins of Sharess, Spelldancers of Sharess, and Mystic Wanders of Sharess and Glorious Servitors of Bast.

People would be happy to be conquoered.

With that particular mix, though, I don't think your army would even make it out of the camp.
Gyor Posted - 20 Dec 2014 : 18:08:45
5000 priestesses of Sharess, including a mix of Celebrants of Sharess, Dancers of Sharess, 5e Sharessin Paladins of Sharess, Spelldancers of Sharess, and Mystic Wanders of Sharess and Glorious Servitors of Bast.

People would be happy to be conquoered.
Omenborn Posted - 19 Dec 2014 : 06:11:12
I think the Purple Dragons mixed in with a Spellfire User or two to counter enemy Magic would be a good team
Eilserus Posted - 18 Dec 2014 : 23:10:57
The Simbul was a powerhouse. In one of Ed's Sage of Shadowdale novels she mentions she doesn't have much useful magic available, unless they actually wanted the entire Hullack Forest blasted apart.
The Arcanamach Posted - 18 Dec 2014 : 22:49:52
Went with 5k seldarine knights just because I think they outclass the purple dragons and red wizards would leave once heavy resistance was met. However, in the Seven Sisters accessory it was stated that the Simbul...ALONE...once destroyed an army of thousands.
Dalor Darden Posted - 09 Jun 2012 : 06:52:43
I'll have to disagree.

The Netherese had the the Nether Scrolls by -3533 DR.

While they may not have started chopping up mountains until -2954 DR, that is still hundreds of years of access to Sarukh magic...and well over a thousand years before Imaskar fell.
Dennis Posted - 09 Jun 2012 : 06:45:57
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

What would have happened if the Empire of Imaskar and the Empire of Netheril existed in the same era?

Didn't they?

No, they didn't. I was referring to the old empires, not Shade and High and Deep Imaskar.

The old Imaskar was founded around -8000s DR, and was turned to ashes around -2000s DR, while Netheril was founded around -2500s. At some point they 'met', but definitely not during the height of their power, which in Netheril's case, was around -2200s DR, the Golden Age. In short, Imaskar was already falling apart by the time Netheril was just starting to become an empire.
Dalor Darden Posted - 09 Jun 2012 : 06:30:47
quote:

What would have happened if the Empire of Imaskar and the Empire of Netheril existed in the same era?

Didn't they?

EDIT:

Checked some dates. Imaskari Empire didn't fall until -2488 DR.

"High Netheril" was founded in -2954 DR with the first Enclave.

The Imaskari and Netherese had hundreds of years at their peak of power to deal with each other.
Dennis Posted - 09 Jun 2012 : 06:26:18

Dalor Darden Posted - 09 Jun 2012 : 06:05:59
quote:
Originally posted by Kiaransalyn

quote:

You guys are still debating this?

Some of us only visit every six months or so, and cherry pick - either the most interesting scrolls or the easiest to add a comment too.

I can understand that...my comment was more tongue in cheek trending toward "My answer is the best answer and you should all just shut up and admit that the Shou Empire would win it all!" sort of thing.
Kiaransalyn Posted - 09 Jun 2012 : 05:42:54
quote:

Some of us only visit every six months or so, and cherry pick - either the most interesting scrolls or the easiest to add a comment too.
Xar Zarath Posted - 08 Jun 2012 : 07:13:03
Hmm the Empire of Netheril at its peak!( Not the Shadovar, the real Empire of Magic please!)
Markustay Posted - 07 Jun 2012 : 19:37:30
This is one of those 'versus' arguments.

Theres a good reason why those are banned on this site.

For instance, I'll throw this out there: Pun Pun

There, I win... now close this thread.
Dalor Darden Posted - 06 Jun 2012 : 21:10:31

I'm still for Shou Lung...put me in charge and I'm ruler of the world.

It is my "other" choice and I'm sticking to it.
Dennis Posted - 06 Jun 2012 : 21:09:18

There's a wizard who as able to control a Tarassque. If one mage could do it, others might be able to do so as well.
Delwa Posted - 06 Jun 2012 : 20:47:57
An army of Cloned Tarassques? I mean, if I want to win, and that's all that matters.... :D
But personality wise, I picked Cormyr. I might have to rethink that, but it suited my chaotic mood at the current moment.
Kiaransalyn Posted - 06 Jun 2012 : 20:29:08
5,000 mind-flayers.
Dennis Posted - 31 May 2012 : 07:24:40
quote:
Originally posted by Aes Tryl

I do believe that the Shadovar empire is more Orwellian than not

So with the propaganda, an undying "God-king and his God-princes", most would not rebel now, would they? Especially since this specific individual helped them survive many a terrible fate. Besides slavery and dominion that is, but hey this is Faerun, people are used to slavery and dominion .

Cos if the citizens of Shadovar were going to overthrow a ruler who doesn't engage in random petty cruelties, like say the Red Wizards, then how come the Thayans didn't attempt to kick the RWoT.

The answer is quite simple, servile gratitude and an overwhelming disparity in power .

Good point.

If they think of overthrowing Telamont, who do they want to replace him? Rivalen? Ha! A pretty sight, that. And Brennus would most likely throw a city-wide party, with erinyes as pole dancers.

quote:

Nah Rivalen has come to terms with it, as in the last novel. He has been trying to reconcile his religious obligations with his secular ones for over a millenium. Shar showed him exactly how "empty" that was, emphasis mine. Telamont has been planning for Rivalen for a millenium anyways, he knew that Rivalen murdered Alashar...

Telamont is anything but stupid. Why would he allow his son absorb incredible amount of power and become a demigod/exarch if he had not, beforehand, prepared for it? So to one day relinquish his throne to Rivalen? Quite unlikely.

quote:

As for the ordinary citizens, sure they are divided, but they are also used to being ruled by near omnipotent arcanists who bend reality to their whim. They have seen what the arcanists can do, and most would run rather than revolt.

In the case of the denizens of Thultantar, it's both fear and loyalty that keep them reined. Fear for the wrath of an archwizard who can snuff out their lives with a mere flick of a finger, and loyalty (and awe) to the same archwizard who had won them battles and saved their lives countless times, then and now.

quote:

It's somewhere between fear and servile worship, or a combination of both. Go read up on the history of Shade, how they had to fight the Malaugrym and the depredations of the Plane of Shadow itself, and also the fall of Netheril, with the Shade enclave the only one to come out almost completely intact. Also read the lost empires of faerun and some other sources (a bit fuzzy atm, away from books) to get a feel of how cruel and amoral these arcanists could be and also how they held the entirety of the Netherese empire in their grip through sheer magical prowess. Even if you were to discount their sojourn on the plane of Shadows, you must/should (up to you) realise that Netherese citizens are conditioned to obey their master's whims and fancies.

And you can substitute whatever I said about the Shades with any evil-aligned magocracy and it would work. The only one powerful enough to even compete with the Shadovar are the Red Wizards (pre-civil war) imho. That's the problem with magocracies, their rulers live forever and the power they possess never wanes, not even in "old age" (if it applies), it'd take an unmigitated disaster like Karsus' folly or the spellplague to change this and any society that dependant on magic would probably suffer greatly anyways (without external help that is). In fact, the spellplague is highly likely to have further enhanced the reputation of the Shade Princes and Shar among the populace of Shade, as they have now dodged the bullet twice under Telamont.

P.S You will note in the Thayan civil war, there was no "nascent uprising", it was a fight between the most powerful mage vs the rest of his peers (barring a couple of defections back and forth. It was a fight between epic mages, and the local populace had no real role in it, besides helplessly and grudgingly providing fodder and support (often under threat and coercion).

Also go read up on the history of the Shade Enclave, it would give you a better view on why they might even look upon Telamont as a benevolent ruler looking to re-establish the fortunes of Netheril rather than an out-and-out despot.

Excellent point.

Besides, I haven't read anything about Telamont that could have made the populace dislike him utterly. He's not some evil overlord who relishes raping and murdering his subjects indiscriminately. He was once capable of real love. (For his late wife.) Somehow, he might have some semblance of care for his people.
Aes Tryl Posted - 27 Mar 2012 : 02:24:48
@Jeremy

It's somewhere between fear and servile worship, or a combination of both. Go read up on the history of Shade, how they had to fight the Malaugrym and the depredations of the Plane of Shadow itself, and also the fall of Netheril, with the Shade enclave the only one to come out almost completely intact. Also read the lost empires of faerun and some other sources (a bit fuzzy atm, away from books) to get a feel of how cruel and amoral these arcanists could be and also how they held the entirety of the Netherese empire in their grip through sheer magical prowess. Even if you were to discount their sojourn on the plane of Shadows, you must/should (up to you) realise that Netherese citizens are conditioned to obey their master's whims and fancies.

And you can substitute whatever I said about the Shades with any evil-aligned magocracy and it would work. The only one powerful enough to even compete with the Shadovar are the Red Wizards (pre-civil war) imho. That's the problem with magocracies, their rulers live forever and the power they possess never wanes, not even in "old age" (if it applies), it'd take an unmigitated disaster like Karsus' folly or the spellplague to change this and any society that dependant on magic would probably suffer greatly anyways (without external help that is). In fact, the spellplague is highly likely to have further enhanced the reputation of the Shade Princes and Shar among the populace of Shade, as they have now dodged the bullet twice under Telamont.

P.S You will note in the Thayan civil war, there was no "nascent uprising", it was a fight between the most powerful mage vs the rest of his peers (barring a couple of defections back and forth. It was a fight between epic mages, and the local populace had no real role in it, besides helplessly and grudgingly providing fodder and support (often under threat and coercion).

Also go read up on the history of the Shade Enclave, it would give you a better view on why they might even look upon Telamont as a benevolent ruler looking to re-establish the fortunes of Netheril rather than an out-and-out despot.
Jeremy Grenemyer Posted - 26 Mar 2012 : 22:20:56
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, Aes.

I can see where you're coming from and I even agree to the extent that the populace has reason to fear Telamont on some level.

For me, before I go so far as to say the population will move in lock-step out of fear alone, I first need to know more about their history away from Faerūn on the plane of shadow.

This is where I have to admit I don't know much about the history of Shade.
Aes Tryl Posted - 26 Mar 2012 : 21:39:46
@Jeremy

Not saying that he would (He probably wouldn't, not his style imo). I am saying that he CAN. And boy do his populace know that. Especially if they are raised in the heritage of Netheril or if they, as the conquered, see the shocking power of the Shade Princes. And that kind of kills the desire for any sort of uprising by the common folk. Therefore the notion that they wouldn't obey or even consider being passive/aggressive or loyal opposition even is rather unlikely. Most who disagree will probably run away to other enclaves,cities,countries etc. with super-powerful folk who have goals more aligned with their own =P.

Of course the UNCOMMON folk might have a thing or two to say to Telamont. But that is in the realms of heroes and legends (several in this case), not nascent uprisings by the local populace.
Jeremy Grenemyer Posted - 26 Mar 2012 : 21:33:23
For me, I don't see Telamont as likely to fry the populace of Shade (currently).

Even if we allow that it's possible, it doesn't follow that it's probable.

The guy is a ruler. Who's he going to lord it over if all his subjects are dead?

He doesn't strike me as someone willing to slay the entire population of a city he's ruled for millenia just to make a point.

Maybe when he has several enclaves under his control and rules half of Faerūn. Just not now.

Anyway, just my two coppers. Interesting read so far.
Aes Tryl Posted - 26 Mar 2012 : 21:15:44
@Ayrik

Sorry, I do get what you mean. And I will retract the real world analogy "statment". But comparing a mortal ruler whose rule is largely dependent upon charisma, force of will or a very large army to an archmage who can bend reality like we can bend a straw is highly incongruous. A large enough force of people can deprive a despot of his throne, but would they be willing to do so if the despot can literally fry hundreds and thousands of them without even having to risk his own neck (via spells of course) and is mostly invulnerable to almost all methods of hurting him?

As I said, the citizens of Shade may have their own private ideas, but if they value their skin, and I assume they do, they will march to the beat of Telamont's drums.
Ayrik Posted - 26 Mar 2012 : 21:08:44
There's apparently miscommunication with what I wrote. Rather than argue pedantically I'll just concede the point, sure you can be right, my incredibly nonspecific, vague, ambiguous, generic example was inappropriate.
Aes Tryl Posted - 26 Mar 2012 : 21:01:40
@Ayrik
"Look to the most charismatically, popular and loved leaders in our past and present world, or to the most feared and unquestioned tyrants ... regardless of extremes, you'll always find the loyalty of the citizens remains divided."

This specifically. And no I would not have invoked Godwin's Law, because Szass Tam and Telamont Tanthul and their cadres can do far far more realms-shattering things =P.

The loyalty of citizens may be divided, but unlike in Real World Scenarios, unless you are someone of a certain calibre (highly unlikely given the opposition), it wouldn't matter. So whatever their private thoughts are regarding Telamont and the Princes of Shade (with the possible exception of Rivalen), they will march to the beat of his drums
Ayrik Posted - 26 Mar 2012 : 20:57:46
I actually very deliberately avoided any real world analogies, since that invariably devolves towards an expression Godwin's Law. To which analogies do you refer?
Aes Tryl Posted - 26 Mar 2012 : 20:54:01
@ Ayrik
Nah Rivalen has come to terms with it, as in the last novel. He has been trying to reconcile his religious obligations with his secular ones for over a millenium. Shar showed him exactly how "empty" that was, emphasis mine. Telamont has been planning for Rivalen for a millenium anyways, he knew that Rivalen murdered Alashar. So now that is a confrontation just waiting to happen (and the one relevant threat to his rule, seeing how the other princes of Shade are also divided along religious lines and besides Brennus are ignorant of Rivalen's matricide).

As for the ordinary citizens, sure they are divided, but they are also used to being ruled by near omnipotent arcanists who bend reality to their whim. They have seen what the arcanists can do, and most would run rather than revolt.

Please try not to use real world analogues, cos if that was the case Thay, Zhentarim and most of drow society would be unsustainable. These are societies ruled through fear and power, power which is not reliant on popularity or force of personality. Aka the most charismatic, brilliant general would be nothing, or at least nothing significant, without his soldiers. A lvl 40 mage can snuff out hundreds of lives with a gesture, word and a thought. The citizens of Shadovar will obey, for the same reasons the citizens of Thay will obey. Or the citizens of any magocracy in Faerun at that. (Please don't bring up the Arcane brotherhood of Luskan, they are small beans compared to any proper magocracy in Faerun)

Ayrik Posted - 26 Mar 2012 : 20:43:29
In gaming terms, Telamont's stats certainly exceed those of anybody else in Shade (assuming you overlook the fact that one of his sons is now a demigod). He was inventing an entire school of magic in Netheril centuries before any of his sons were born.

Other Princes have demonstrated that they can operate mythallars without Telamont's assistance. Many of them actually exceed Telamont's abilities within their own focussed areas of specialization. It's unclear whether Telamont alone is responsible for planeshifting his entire enclave, but I suspect it could be done without him, and I doubt the power would ever be used again anyhow except in the most desperately catastrophic circumstances. In short, Telamont's survival and cooperation are no longer essentially linked to the survival and prosperity of Shade; he is not technically indispensible.

It's obvious that Telamont rules through fear more than through love, he is concerned enough about Rivalen's religious popularity to plot contingencies against a coup. In fact in the novels he is paranoid to the point of policing every action his Princes perform, they are under constant threat of surveillance, and they are all highly motivated to avoid displeasing him with anything less than maximum success. I suspect that Rivalen is sufficiently powerful to defy Telamont, yet he is actually shackled by loyalty and his faith that Telamont's agenda serves Shar ... but this might change at any moment, and Rivalen is definitely capable of patricide. It's possible that the other Princes could topple Telamont and his regime if they collectively conspired to do so - really the biggest thing keeping them in check is their mutually competitive uncertainty about trust and loyalty among themselves, a factor which Telamont continually manipulates to his advantage. The situation is so Machiavellian that nobody dares to pick the assassin's dagger from Telamont's outstretched hand, for fear that it's poisoned or their erstwhile-allies will attack while their gaze is momentarily diverted.

Shade has thousands of citizens. It's realistically impossible for thousands of people to unanimously support anything, let alone support a leader who rules through force and fear, especially when such a leader falters for even a single moment. I would actually be quite surprised if there haven't defectors, traitors, and spies working against the Shadovar's manifest destiny. This can only get worse over time as individual Shadovar gradually form more bonds with Sembians and other outsiders, Telamont would have to be increasingly careful about how much he can pull against such bonds unless he wants them to snap and recoil against Shade. Look to the most charismatically, popular and loved leaders in our past and present world, or to the most feared and unquestioned tyrants ... regardless of extremes, you'll always find the loyalty of the citizens remains divided.

In summary: Telamont's position as leader of an evil city is precarious and requires constant attention (even sacrifice) to maintain. It's not at all impossible for the Shadovar agenda to change over time.
Aes Tryl Posted - 26 Mar 2012 : 19:33:19
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

They might, as a people, be content with the firm foothold they've already secured in the Realms, it might be sufficient to restore lost Netheril.

No. Telamont explicitly stated he meant to conquer the world, a Netherese dream that should have been fulfilled a long time ago. His word is law, so the populace really have no choice on the mattter. Unless they want to die an instant death, of course.

Of course. They can't leave, or work against him in a passive-agressive way, or actively oppose him, or anything like that. No options at all.

None at all. Because in the first place, to them, he is THE hero. He saved them countless times from near deaths, starting from the Fall of Netheril, to the ceaseless attacks of the Malaugrym and other malevolent creatures in the Plane of Shadow. Since then, they have always trusted in him, and treated his word as law.

And out of thousands of individuals, not one would break the law? Right.... When did they all start worshipping Torm?

I do believe that the Shadovar empire is more Orwellian than not

So with the propaganda, an undying "God-king and his God-princes", most would not rebel now, would they? Especially since this specific individual helped them survive many a terrible fate. Besides slavery and dominion that is, but hey this is Faerun, people are used to slavery and dominion .

Cos if the citizens of Shadovar were going to overthrow a ruler who doesn't engage in random petty cruelties, like say the Red Wizards, then how come the Thayans didn't attempt to kick the RWoT.

The answer is quite simple, servile gratitude and an overwhelming disparity in power .
Jeremy Grenemyer Posted - 26 Mar 2012 : 19:07:09
I went with the War Priests of Garagos. Those guys would be fun (and they'd have a blast, methinks), even if they didn't win, for all the havoc and bloody slaughter they'd cause and probably enjoy doing.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000