Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Erevis Cale and the 2012 Suvudu Cagematch

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
PaulSKemp Posted - 26 Feb 2012 : 20:41:18
And so it is that genre March Madness begins, and the bracket for the 2012 SF/F Suvudu Cagematch is revealed.

http://sf-fantasy.suvudu.com/2012/02/cage-match-2012-the-bracket-revealed.html

There are lots of wonderful authors and wonderful characters participating, but enough about them, let's talk about me. :-)

The Realms are represented this year (I believe Drizz't and Elminster appeared in earlier years) by Erevis Cale, who's in the Hogwarts: Quidditch Pitch division. He's a #6 seed, and in round one squares off against #11 seed Johnny Rico (from Heinlein's Starship Troopers).

I had a blast writing the fiction bit to go along with this, and I'll link to it when it goes up on Suvudu.com. Obviously, it doesn't end well for Johnny Rico, powered armor or no. :-)

Anyway, when voting begins, I'll nag you for your vote. Fair warning. :-) Should be fun.
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
PaulSKemp Posted - 28 Mar 2012 : 18:20:24
quote:
Originally posted by Kilvan

Incredible write up Paul, thank you very much for doing this. It is a shame really that Cale's quest to shut the rift is likely reaching an end.

By the way, were you familiar with all the contestants Cale fought? Cause I sure wasn't. From the commentaries, all your write ups seemed to be spot on for both personality and fighting style.

Thanks, Kilvan. I had a blast doing the write-ups and, to be candid, am surprised Cale made it to the final eight. He's the only character still standing written by a mid-list author. The other characters all come from blockbuster series, so that says something about FR fans and Cale fans. I appreciate the support. And, hey, if he's going out, I'm content with him going out on that write-up. :-)

I was not familiar with any of the characters he faced except Johnny Rico. I just did a little research for the others and tried my best. :-)

Paul
Kilvan Posted - 28 Mar 2012 : 17:32:40
Incredible write up Paul, thank you very much for doing this. It is a shame really that Cale's quest to shut the rift is likely reaching an end.

By the way, were you familiar with all the contestants Cale fought? Cause I sure wasn't. From the commentaries, all your write ups seemed to be spot on for both personality and fighting style.
Fellfire Posted - 27 Mar 2012 : 01:04:19
It was a tough decision, but Cale got my vote.
Kilvan Posted - 27 Mar 2012 : 00:34:01
Hmm, looks like Cale met his match; he's losing by 15%. How tempting it is to vote several times... but gotta play fair (even though both contestors probably will not).

Good luck Cale, good luck.

Aulduron Posted - 26 Mar 2012 : 17:06:21
Avenge Gimli!
PaulSKemp Posted - 26 Mar 2012 : 14:56:37
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Karsus

-Don't know who that character is, but based on the short descriptions on the website itself, it seems like Cale and Kylar Stern are pretty similar.

They both fit the same archetype, that's for sure. :-)
Lord Karsus Posted - 26 Mar 2012 : 14:46:16
-Don't know who that character is, but based on the short descriptions on the website itself, it seems like Cale and Kylar Stern are pretty similar.
PaulSKemp Posted - 26 Mar 2012 : 14:24:20
Round 4 of the cagematch pits Cale v. Kylar Stern. I had a lot of fun with this write up. I hope you'll have a read and then vote. :-) I'd love to take this story all the way to its end.

http://sf-fantasy.suvudu.com/2012/03/cage-match-2012-round-4-erevis-cale-versus-kylar-stern.html
Dennis Posted - 26 Mar 2012 : 01:48:11

I tend to agree. Locally alone, Weeks' novels had been on the Number One spot for months in almost all bookstores when they first came out.
Fellfire Posted - 26 Mar 2012 : 01:11:18
Kylar Stern has a lot of fans out there. I didn't know Rachel Morgan had such a huge following. I think this may be his toughest match yet.
Lord Karsus Posted - 26 Mar 2012 : 00:20:20
quote:
Originally posted by Fellfire

From what I've read it seems as if it's to be soft Jedi Reborn Revan, not Darth Revan. I believe it's Kylar Stern up next.

-Then Erevis Cale it is.
Dennis Posted - 25 Mar 2012 : 00:27:47
quote:
Originally posted by Fellfire

I believe it's Kylar Stern up next.

Now that's a tough one.
Fellfire Posted - 24 Mar 2012 : 17:34:00
From what I've read it seems as if it's to be soft Jedi Reborn Revan, not Darth Revan. I believe it's Kylar Stern up next.
Lord Karsus Posted - 24 Mar 2012 : 14:52:50
quote:
Originally posted by Hawkins

Hmm, looking at the line-up, the only time I will have a hard decision is if Cale eventually ends up opposite Revan.

-Depends on if it's the canon, official Revan, who became a Jedi softy, or my Revan, who reclaimed his title, took Bastila as his dark apprentice, slew the Jedi who conspired to steal his memories, slew his former apprentice who tried to challenge him, and went on to conquer the galaxy.
Fellfire Posted - 24 Mar 2012 : 07:26:23
Ha ha. Victory is sweet. Can't wait for the next one, Paul.
Hawkins Posted - 22 Mar 2012 : 16:32:59
Hmm, looking at the line-up, the only time I will have a hard decision is if Cale eventually ends up opposite Revan.
Dennis Posted - 22 Mar 2012 : 10:59:22

It's a rather strange match. I don't read Harrison. And, needless to say, I cast my vote for Cale.

[Anyone read Harrison?]
PaulSKemp Posted - 22 Mar 2012 : 10:36:56
As I mentioned on my FB page: It's unfortunate when folks behave that way, but (and I suspect this could go without saying) please do not respond in kind on Cale's behalf. And I mean that very seriously. This is supposed to be a fun little deal, exposing folks to new characters and writers, scratching the X v. Y itch, etc. And that's it. It is not, in any way, shape, or form, a big deal.
Aulduron Posted - 22 Mar 2012 : 04:55:09
Assure us Cale will be back, and I'll go give him 100 votes! lol
The Sage Posted - 22 Mar 2012 : 04:16:03
I've kind of lost track of recent updates, unfortunately.

I think I was involved back when Revan was gaining ground.
Fellfire Posted - 22 Mar 2012 : 04:00:22
I do hope you cast your vote, Sage.
Lord Karsus Posted - 22 Mar 2012 : 02:39:02
-What is wrong with people?

-The lengths that people will go to on the internet to "get their way" is something that comes as no surprise to me, sadly, based on things I've seen people do.
Aes Tryl Posted - 22 Mar 2012 : 01:24:51
Argh I fear the Rachel fans are exploiting the system.

I read the comments. Apparently Rachel fans have been exploiting a bug which allows them to vote multiple times. They clear history, open up private browsers or proxy servers, and cast multiple votes. I was skeptical at first, so I tried it once. It, unfortunately, works. Cale was 400 votes clear of winning barely an hour and a half ago.

The lengths rabid fangirls will go to =(
PaulSKemp Posted - 21 Mar 2012 : 14:41:32
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

-I don't even know who half of these people are...

Well, Erevis Cale is a rather popular character appearing in most of Paul Kemp's FR novels...

I want a "like" button for Wooly's post. Well played, sir. Well played. :-)
Lord Karsus Posted - 21 Mar 2012 : 13:44:19
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Well, Erevis Cale is a rather popular character appearing in most of Paul Kemp's FR novels...

-That's the half I do know.
Yoss Posted - 21 Mar 2012 : 13:09:25
Cale seems to have regained the lead. Go Cale, go! Much rather see him up against Kylar than the this Rachel chick.
Fellfire Posted - 20 Mar 2012 : 18:46:53
It's neck and neck with both characters at 50%.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 20 Mar 2012 : 17:37:53
quote:

Lord Karsus Posted - 20 Mar 2012 : 17:00:20
Hawkins Posted - 20 Mar 2012 : 15:20:37
Damn it all, this one is turning into a real nail-biter.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000