Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Drow Pics

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Fellfire Posted - 16 Feb 2012 : 09:02:31
I didn't want to clutter up Erik's scroll with discussions of cover art and what we think drow should look like so I thought to start a scroll where people can link to good pics. I've seen a lot out there, ranging from great to horrible. I hear alot of Scribes say that they don't like the "donkey ear" look that is prevalent, but I kind of do. I've seen some good stuff at deviantart. Also drowtales has some good stuff. A lot of it is pretty risque and I wouldn't post it here. Anyway, I'd love to see what everyone thinks a drow "should" look like. Keep em' clean. I'll go through my files and post a few later.
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
BEAST Posted - 24 Feb 2015 : 07:14:00
Droo, droo, droo yer boot
Gently doon th' stream...
Wooly Rupert Posted - 24 Feb 2015 : 05:59:54
quote:
Originally posted by TBeholder

"Drow" should not rhyme with "cow"... but too often does.

Actually, on page 10 of Dragon 142, they did make that official ruling:

quote:
How do you pronounce "drow"?
It rhymes with "cow".

That said, I say it to rhyme with "know". I'm such a rebel.
TBeholder Posted - 24 Feb 2015 : 01:19:55
See also.
quote:
Originally posted by Fellfire

I'd love to see what everyone thinks a drow "should" look like.

"Drow" should not rhyme with "cow"... but too often does.
quote:

What's cooler than a drow? How about a drow with a lightsabre.

Hehehe... Realms already have Chromatic Blade. Which is cooler.
quote:
Originally posted by Lady Shadowflame

It's all fun and games until you hand a glowing sword to someone with severe light sensitivity...

You do realize that many drow wizards are light-adapted even if they don't have business on surface (and well-illuminated planes), right? What's with throwing fire and lightnings and all. IIRC, it was mentioned in "Starlight & Shadows" and somewhere else.
Dennis Posted - 08 Mar 2012 : 04:06:56
quote:
Originally posted by Quale

I don't use drow, here's a few half-drow, this cover of the Black Company could pass up as link

or link, link

The cover art of all the Black Company novels are good. [I haven't read them all yet, and those that I did, I did so out of order.]
Dennis Posted - 08 Mar 2012 : 04:04:52
quote:

Very well, here is another. Halisstra Melarn, no less. And stylishly clad in a bodysuit.

That looks more like Storm.
Quale Posted - 07 Mar 2012 : 14:49:50
Better ask around first about the quality, cause I don't remember anything good from it (except the cover), by far the worst of the series.
Fellfire Posted - 07 Mar 2012 : 14:21:51
More Swanland sweetness there. Good pic, Quale. I'm tempted to read the book based solely on the cover art.
Quale Posted - 07 Mar 2012 : 14:03:29
I don't use drow, here's a few half-drow, this cover of the Black Company could pass up as link

or link, link
Lady Shadowflame Posted - 07 Mar 2012 : 13:58:20
quote:

What's cooler than a drow? How about a drow with a lightsabre. Check out the gallery for other cool pics including Storm Silverhand.

It's all fun and games until you hand a glowing sword to someone with severe light sensitivity...
Fellfire Posted - 07 Mar 2012 : 13:02:43
Very well, here is another. Halisstra Melarn, no less. And stylishly clad in a bodysuit.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 07 Mar 2012 : 04:45:57
And perhaps we can now revisit the topic?
Imp Posted - 07 Mar 2012 : 02:23:48
Yeah, Alystra. Who's the killjoy now?
Dennis Posted - 07 Mar 2012 : 02:03:42
quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

Um, you DO understand he was joking, right? Don't be such a killjoy, imp. It's all in fun.

I suppose Imp's joking, too.
Dennis Posted - 07 Mar 2012 : 02:02:41
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

quote:

What's cooler than a drow? How about a drow with a lightsabre. Check out the gallery for other cool pics including Storm Silverhand.

Lightsabres are children's toys.

Dunno about you, but I'm not letting my kid play with anything that could cut easily cut my car in half.

Toy lightsabres were kinda famous when I was in elementary. I'm not sure if it was because of Star Wars or a bunch of Japanese anime that were so popular that time. Memory of it stuck, though. So when I see a lightsabre, I automatically think of a plastic blinking rod---in short, toy.
Alystra Illianniis Posted - 07 Mar 2012 : 01:09:04
Um, you DO understand he was joking, right? Don't be such a killjoy, imp. It's all in fun.
Imp Posted - 07 Mar 2012 : 00:22:10
Lightsabers are made of plastic.
And sometimes out of metal and glass and other miscellaneous things.
It's hardly going to cut a car in half. And we don't yet have that kind of technology to make plasma swords.

But we are going off-topic, so I'm out.
Fellfire Posted - 06 Mar 2012 : 23:29:08
So, no. Plasma, not plastic, cuts everything in half.
Fellfire Posted - 06 Mar 2012 : 11:52:09
The typical lightsaber hilt consisted of a metal cylinder between twenty and thirty-five centimeters in length. However, the size of individuals hilts varied drastically, as the weapon was tailored to the creator's specific needs and preferences. The lightsaber mechanisms were contained within the hilt. High levels of energy generated by a high-output Diatium power cell was unleashed through a series of focusing lenses and energizers that converted the energy into plasma. The plasma was projected through a set of focusing crystals that lent the blade its properties and allowed for the adjustment of blade length and power output. The ideal number of crystals was three, though only one was required.

Once focused by the crystals, the plasma was sent through a series of field energizers and modulation circuitry within the emitter matrix that further focused it, making it into a coherent beam of energy that was projected from the emitter. The blade typically extended about a meter before being arced by the blade containment field back to a negatively charged fissure ringing the emitter, where it was channeled back to the power cell by a superconductor, completing the circuit.

Wookieepedia
Imp Posted - 06 Mar 2012 : 11:17:48
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

quote:

Dunno about you, but I'm not letting my kid play with anything that could cut easily cut my car in half.

Plastic cuts cars in half?
Wooly Rupert Posted - 06 Mar 2012 : 10:47:08
quote:

quote:

TBeholder Posted - 06 Mar 2012 : 08:27:20
quote:

What's cooler than a drow? How about a drow with a lightsabre.
Eh. I thought about prodding someone to do a FR-canonical thing. That is, with a Chromatic Blade. Besides, it obviously allows to apply much better effects.
Dennis Posted - 06 Mar 2012 : 03:04:59
quote:

Faraer Posted - 05 Mar 2012 : 23:38:41
quote:
Originally posted by TBeholder
But what was the first appearance? I am vaguely sure there was some mention of hidden evil elves rumors, though can't remember where.

Monster Manual (1977) p. 39: 'The "Black Elves," or drow, are only legend . . .'
Fellfire Posted - 05 Mar 2012 : 17:41:34
TBeholder Posted - 03 Mar 2012 : 09:50:10
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Sorry, TBeholder, but that just can't be. Gary wrote the (ancient mythological) drow into the D&D game (in the physical form the game casts them in) long before TSR started any work on any Known World/Mystara products (i.e. long before the first GAZ appeared). I know. I was around an buying all of the stuff as it came out.

Ancient mythological Dark Elves? But what was the first appearance? I am vaguely sure there was some mention of hidden evil elves rumors, though can't remember where.

As to Mystara vs. Greyhawk, you're right, of course. Just checked "Vault of the Drow" (which seems to be the first dedicated material) - it's by Gygax, and it's 1981. I thought it was printed later than this, all that early edition mess (it's AD&D) confused me.
Ha, and the cover already got the snake... er... tentacle whip.
quote:
Originally posted by Zerak-Tul

Sadly there's just such a high ratio of crap drow imagery to good stuff.
If 9:1, it's Sturgeon's Law - that is, pretty much standard for everything.
Alystra Illianniis Posted - 02 Mar 2012 : 21:43:44
Thanks Wooly- He was just the one I thought of first..... Doesn't mean I don't still love ya, you big furry lug, LOL!!
Alystra Illianniis Posted - 02 Mar 2012 : 00:56:55
Ah! One of my favorite subjects, lol! Since we're linking to drow art, here's a personal favorite of mine- okay, I'm biased because a fellow poster on Chosen of Eilistraee did it for me, but other than his skin tone being a bit too light, this is a great rendition of my drow bard Lothir. (who has been lazing about in the inn here for FAR too long, methinks. I do believe he's probably finished off most of their elverquisst stock by now, lol!)

link: Clicky!

Sorry, I'm no good at making links "pretty". Maybe a Mod could help? (hint- looking at you, Sage!)

Edit: I forgot, the link is also in my siggy, in shorter form....

Edit 2: I, too, am a huge fan of both Mavrosh and Cyrza on DV!!

Mod edit: Cast shrinky link. And you were looking at the wrong guy.
Mournblade Posted - 29 Feb 2012 : 01:44:56
quote:
Originally posted by entreri3478

quote:
Originally posted by Marc

There aren't many drow pictures on our computer, a few of them that I like

albino

this

this

albino2

this

Anomander

drow

mount

albino

albino

Some of these are cool but a few look like blatant rip-offs from WOW and Devil May Cry

Or African Spirit Masks.
Artemas Entreri Posted - 29 Feb 2012 : 00:33:35
quote:
Originally posted by Marc

There aren't many drow pictures on our computer, a few of them that I like

albino

this

this

albino2

this

Anomander

drow

mount

albino

albino

Some of these are cool but a few look like blatant rip-offs from WOW and Devil May Cry
Imp Posted - 28 Feb 2012 : 23:37:26
Any drow from Cyzra is how I imagine most of them (most, because in my games drow can have much more diverse skin, hair and eye colors, gray skin, white/silver hair and red eyes being the most common).

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000