Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Blackrose Elves

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Shadowlord Posted - 03 Apr 2004 : 08:15:22
I've heard rumors of certain elves called "Blackrose Elves" that were the inhabitants of another elven world such as Faerie. However, I have not managed to find any official information on them. All I have so far is "The origins of the Blackrose Elves are mostly unknown. They were first sighted some 1,000 years ago - only later to disappear and were believed to be extinct, though there have been recent reports of activity and sightings. However, most who meet them never live to tell anyone. They are evil and have sadistic traits that almost rival those of the Drow." Even if they actually don't exist in Realmslore, it might be fun to make them into a new player race...
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
cpthero2 Posted - 23 Feb 2020 : 17:01:49
Great Reader Masked Mage,

That's awesome. I did not know that, as I know very little about Ravenloft. I ran the module back in the day as a kid, and that was pretty much it.

That would be amazing to see Sith, haha.

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by The Masked Mage

I'd say go with Sage's first impulse. Sounds a lot the the Sith from Ravenloft to me.

In fact, this might be perfect... a faction of Sith that managed to escape the Demiplane of Dread during the Reformation, but are forever tainted by the Demiplane and the Shadow Rift.

(For those not up on Ravenloft Lore, the Reformation was a period of upheaval in Ravenloft where the Dark Powers shook things up a bit).

The Masked Mage Posted - 23 Feb 2020 : 01:12:26
I'd say go with Sage's first impulse. Sounds a lot the the Sith from Ravenloft to me.

In fact, this might be perfect... a faction of Sith that managed to escape the Demiplane of Dread during the Reformation, but are forever tainted by the Demiplane and the Shadow Rift.

(For those not up on Ravenloft Lore, the Reformation was a period of upheaval in Ravenloft where the Dark Powers shook things up a bit).

cpthero2 Posted - 15 Feb 2020 : 03:21:48
Master Rupert,

Thank you for that! Right under my nose, and I did not even see it. haha

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by cpthero2

Good evening all!

I was hoping with a bump, someone may know what source Master Shadowlord was referring too regarding the "Blackrose Elves"?

Well, there's this 2004 quote from him, earlier in this discussion...

quote:
Originally posted by Shadowlord

Ah Sage, after a bit of delving I discovered that they are a created race, and not truly "canon," though it is as I expected. Hmmm, might be a nice idea to create the race though... At least this elven subrace doesn't have lightbulbs hanging off their foreheads...

Brimstone Posted - 12 Feb 2020 : 08:01:33
Of course Sage Time(tm) strikes again!!!
Wooly Rupert Posted - 12 Feb 2020 : 04:51:44
quote:

Good evening all!

I was hoping with a bump, someone may know what source Master Shadowlord was referring too regarding the "Blackrose Elves"?

Well, there's this 2004 quote from him, earlier in this discussion...

quote:

Ah Sage, after a bit of delving I discovered that they are a created race, and not truly "canon," though it is as I expected. Hmmm, might be a nice idea to create the race though... At least this elven subrace doesn't have lightbulbs hanging off their foreheads...

cpthero2 Posted - 12 Feb 2020 : 04:44:26
Good evening all!

Best regards,

quote:

Master Shadowlord,

What was your source for this? I would just like to take a look out of curiosity.

Best regards,

quote:

I've heard rumors of certain elves called "Blackrose Elves" that were the inhabitants of another elven world such as Faerie. However, I have not managed to find any official information on them. All I have so far is "The origins of the Blackrose Elves are mostly unknown. They were first sighted some 1,000 years ago - only later to disappear and were believed to be extinct, though there have been recent reports of activity and sightings. However, most who meet them never live to tell anyone. They are evil and have sadistic traits that almost rival those of the Drow." Even if they actually don't exist in Realmslore, it might be fun to make them into a new player race...

cpthero2 Posted - 28 Sep 2018 : 18:35:31
Master Shadowlord,

What was your source for this? I would just like to take a look out of curiosity.

Best regards,

quote:

The Sage Posted - 11 Apr 2004 : 23:22:30
I agree, and it's also something that I started working on, after I posted that last little snippet.

I should have something soon...
Shadowlord Posted - 11 Apr 2004 : 16:00:56
Interesting... I would think that since they are quite an exotic subrace, they might have an exotic weapon proficiency... Whats your opinion?
The Sage Posted - 11 Apr 2004 : 05:04:15
Shadowlord, here's some stats for the new race that I've been tinkering with. Remember that nothing is set yet, and these are just something that we can build upon later -

+2 Dexterity, +2 Charisma, -2 Constitution, -2 Strength

I've also been thinking about some of the abilities for this race, and came up with this -

All [insert race name here] are proficient with the shortbow and the short sword. Like all elves, [insert race name here] revere swordplay and most pick up archery at some point in their lives.

Let's hear what you think
The Sage Posted - 11 Apr 2004 : 04:59:07
There's been unresolved and incessant conflict between the Seelie and Unseelie courts for many millenia. Since the earliest nascent period of the multiverse, the forces of High and Low Fey have battled.

Titania, Queen of All Faerie (even the Low) tried unsuccessfully to bridge the gap between the Seelie and Unseelie courts, but many within here own pantheon (most notably Oberon, the Lord of Beasts) worked behind the scenes to ensure that such a union never came to pass.

One area of still growing conflict between the two sides, is that of the once mortal ranger, known as Fionnghuala. Fionnghuala assisted the sylvan races in their last great battle against the incursions of the Queen of Air and Darkness, and her Unseelie Court. In gratitude for her selfless service in protecting a mortally wounded Oberon Fionn was raised from the dead after the battle and brought to the Seelie Court by the Queen Titania. Once there, she became a demigoddess swore to serve the Seelie, and her Queen as the deity of eternal communication and sorority.

However, the Unseelie, who had suffered great losses during the last great conflict are believed to have corrupted a sliver of Fionn gentle spirit - the consequences of which, have yet to reveal themselves...
Shadowlord Posted - 11 Apr 2004 : 04:45:28
Yes, and the race we're creating was exiled from Faerie before most of the elves traveled to Faerūn.
Alrunes Sinethal Posted - 11 Apr 2004 : 03:47:29
You know Faerie isn't all good. There are the seelie and unseelie courts. But then again, there is Faerie, and there is FR Faerie. Isn't the FR Faerie almost destroyed due to incessant wars, hence most if not all of the elves left and spread to FR (extrapolate the Multiverse).
Shadowlord Posted - 08 Apr 2004 : 02:33:24
Right then. I await your reply...
The Sage Posted - 08 Apr 2004 : 02:27:57
Yes, that could be one possibility, but I think it has less to do with the unreliability of Hotmail, and more to do with the recent updates that I made to my (homebrew) OS, that I having been creating these last several months.

There's been a series of conflicts in the past between my own OS, and the heavily Microsoft-influenced Hotmail system....

I think I'll stick to my dragonlance.zzn account.
Shadowlord Posted - 08 Apr 2004 : 02:11:56
Ah, in that case I reccommend you send it again. I once had hotmail... Too unreliable for me. Thats why I switched to Comcast...
The Sage Posted - 08 Apr 2004 : 01:55:26
No, I'd sent a second one...Confound it...

That's the last time I use my Hotmail account...
Shadowlord Posted - 08 Apr 2004 : 01:48:15
Really? You had a feeling about Graxx, did you? Ah, I thought I was being secretive... *Sigh*

You sent another e-mail after the first? If so, I did not recieve it. Or mayhaps you are referring to the first one you sent me...
The Sage Posted - 07 Apr 2004 : 05:05:33
Hmmm...I had a lingering feeling about Graxx, it's nice to know that I was right...

I've already received your first email Shadowlord, and, I've sent some suggestions back of my own, in reply. Be sure to let me know what you think...
Graxx Shadowstone Posted - 07 Apr 2004 : 00:10:54
Actually Arivia, I was aware of the NPC race long before the CEP. It was a downloadable hak file at www.nwvault.com, and it was not an "original" CEP race. It's true creator was Robert Burson, look it up at NWVault sometime...

However, I intend to have a player race of a different name, and with a much different background. It will come to seem nothing like the NWN NPC race...

Indeed, Sage. Big fan of Ravenloft here... (Though I try not to say as much when Alaundo is lurking around every corner... ) A setting seems just a bit more realistic when there aren't magic items everywhere, or is it just me....

The "Sith" template would indeed work quite nicely, as you reccommended... I already had a template in mind, but yours seems to fit the description better. I'm thinking that this race of elves was banished from the ancestral home of Faerie, because of their evil, and that has left them bitter and sullen... I'll go into further detail via etheral mail...

Just letting you know, this is my moderator name under the Candlekeep Inn, I posted this before I realized that my "Graxx Shadowstone" account was still active...
*Sigh* My identity is revealed...
The Sage Posted - 06 Apr 2004 : 04:49:33
Oh, I do 'get' what you mean, and that's exactly it... NPCs are an interesting way to see newly created races in action. I know it's a CRPG, but it could generate some intriguing possibilities...
Arivia Posted - 06 Apr 2004 : 04:42:14
No, I'm not sure you get it, Sage...there's a pair of Blackrose Elf NPCs...
The Sage Posted - 06 Apr 2004 : 04:27:30
Ah...that's a great idea Arivia, and also a great resource to draw some ideas from...
Arivia Posted - 06 Apr 2004 : 04:13:29
Shadowlord, I'm not sure what you originally got this idea from, but look at the custom Elvish NPCs when you've got a CEP-enabled NWN module open in the toolset...
The Sage Posted - 06 Apr 2004 : 03:59:13
Hmmm...are you a Ravenloft fan then as well Shadowlord...?
Shadowlord Posted - 05 Apr 2004 : 20:11:47
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

Alright, Sage. I agree. Do you want to handle this by etheral mail or here at Candlekeep?

Until we get a solid basis with which to build upon regarding this new race, I think it would be best if we talk over the ethereal mail service...

I'd considered picking up Bryon Wischstadt's Faeries, but the 'Ravenloft' Van Richten's Guide to the Shadow Fey has plenty of useful material (templates for examples) that we can pillage in order to get started.

That sounds fine. I shall contact you via the Candlekeep Etheral Mail system as soon as I am able... Luckily, I do possess Van Richten's Guide to the Shadow Fey, though I have no access to Bryon Wischstadt's Faeries...
Steven Schend Posted - 05 Apr 2004 : 14:13:48
quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm

Blackrose elves, eh? Sounds like drow flower-children.

Listen to the flower people...or else...

Steven
Who's now stuck with early Spinal Tap songs in his head
The Sage Posted - 05 Apr 2004 : 14:00:06
quote:

Alright, Sage. I agree. Do you want to handle this by etheral mail or here at Candlekeep?

Until we get a solid basis with which to build upon regarding this new race, I think it would be best if we talk over the ethereal mail service...

I'd considered picking up Bryon Wischstadt's Faeries, but the 'Ravenloft' Van Richten's Guide to the Shadow Fey has plenty of useful material (templates for examples) that we can pillage in order to get started.
Bookwyrm Posted - 05 Apr 2004 : 05:35:35
Blackrose elves, eh? Sounds like drow flower-children.
Shadowlord Posted - 04 Apr 2004 : 19:39:12
Nay, Steven, I do not mind at all. Your input is, as always, highly appretiated. As for the tome you mentioned, I do not have one... Mayhaps the Sage of Perth has access to it...

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000