Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 What do you hope gets a detailed treatment?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Therise Posted - 27 Jan 2012 : 01:46:29
Okay I'm a little 'meh' from the recent trolling and also the threads with irritability or "my idea's better" stuff.

So with that in mind, and forgetting about which way they'll go, what area, region, city, or thing do you hope will get a detailed lore treatment... and why?

Any edition, but please try not to make it about the edition but rather talk about why that area or thing intrigues you.

30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Mumadar Ibn Huzal Posted - 04 Feb 2012 : 16:11:12
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

If they hadn't of messed-up their 'plan' from the beginning, we would have never needed a '4e Realms'. Originally, there were areas left 'blank' (or semi-blank) for DMs, like Sembia & Erlkazar. They existed for that express purpose - a place for DMs to drop-in their own stuff without affecting FR's continuity overmuch.

And that was great, until authors looked at those 'virgin' areas and decided despite what we were promised, they were going to use them up, regardless.

Just don't do that again.

MT, IMHO this is not quite fair criticism towards the designers and WotC... just have a look around this forum and the questions being asked by us as scribes. Their is an enormous amount of hunger for even the smallest details of the Realms, which could even lead to the absurd (e.g. where does Elminster buy his toilet paper).

Even if designers would not have 'developed' the blank spots, our clamoring for lore would have brought more details to these areas anyway.

I, for instance, am glad that Steven and Eric wrote so much on the Lands of Intrigue (including Erlkazar), it provided me with so much more to start games in that area. And I am sure the same goes for other areas, e.g. look at how much is asked on the Border Kingdoms, this was also in the 'blank spots' category...

And having this lore detailed on more and more of the Realms is not a negative thing, certainly now that players have their games in various time periods; what might be a hindrance for a DM with a game in the 1370-ies, can be a boon for one that has a game in the 15th century DR...
Mournblade Posted - 04 Feb 2012 : 15:56:37
OK well it wasn't Erik that answered me but apparently another 4e designer, (forgive me for not knowing your name) that answered my challenge. At least by dipping into DDI I easily got what I what I consider $ 10 (probably more) of useful material.

Many thanks!
Markustay Posted - 04 Feb 2012 : 04:24:46
And as I have said, 'field magic' is just a type of artificially created place magic - something the fey were known for. Fey magic never needed the Weave (since it works outside of Realmspace, it obviously doesn't need it). My hypothesis is that Mythal/Mythalar magic is therefor distantly related to fey Place Magic, and doesn't use the weave, it taps into something more primal (Raw magic).

Ergo, the Weave would have only effected things that used it. However, Arcane Mythals were probably susceptible to the Weave (like the one around Myth Drannor) - they were developed later, as an easier method that didn't use Elven high Magic (which would have been based of Fey magic, as I have said numerous times).

So, its like a massive electrical surge, which would take out everything on the grid. Things that use steam (or light, etc) would not be affected by the surge, because they rely on different sources of power. Magical items are like things on the grid that are in 'off' mode, so they are safe (they aren't 'hanging', as Ed puts it). This would be like how you are supposed to turn off your computer and other delicate electronics during a lightening storm. Even if plugged-in, they are 'dormant'.
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Losing Turmish for that might not be such a bad idea, but Turmish has some canon (even though its had zero impact on the Realms in its entire history).

Zero impact? Akabar bel Akash was Turmish, and he was part of the destruction of Moander and the ascension of Finder. That's a lot more impact than what a lot of other regions can claim.
A don't recall him - for some reason I recall very little from that trilogy, which is weird, because I remember liking it.

But outside of specific individuals, has Turmish (as a nation) impacted the Realms in a big way?

If they leave that area blank (or just leave it as is, with very little), that NPC could have come from whatever country a DM places there.

On the other hand, I would personally prefer a fully-detailed realms, but I know some folks like their empty spots for their own stuff. I don't have a prblem shoving canon around to make my stuff work (but a lot of people do, which is why I suggest that maybe they should leave something low-lore, just for those who want that).

Sossal is another place you could dump whatever you want, but its a bit out of the way.
The Sage Posted - 04 Feb 2012 : 03:21:44
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

Which should have failed, or ceased working, when the Weave collapsed.
Not necessarily.

Remember, the Skulls are said to be the remains of Netherese arcanists who were experimenting with great magicks at the time of the Weave's collapse during the Folly of Karsus. They were absorbed into the mythal-like mantle of the Sargauth Enclave, and later came to share a unique relationship with the "new" mythal-like mantle when the Weave restored itself.

So it's not too much of a stretch to postulate that the Skulls have since learned a secret or three from that time re: the possibility of surviving a second collapse of the Weave. And, thus, eventually risked putting those secrets into practice in order to save both themselves and Skullport, when the Spellplague raged across Toril .

And while Skullport may not have escaped the Spellplague completely unscathed [since the 4e FRCG hints at pockets of corrupted magic in the city and spellscarred critters running across the ruins], the very fact that the city still exists, suggests something of it's former Skull-and-mythal/mantle relationship may have been responsible for keeping it partially intact.
The Sage Posted - 04 Feb 2012 : 03:14:18
quote:

Which should have failed, or ceased working, when the Weave collapsed.
Not necessarily.

Remember, the Skulls are said to be the remains of Netherese arcanists who were experimenting with great magicks at the time of the Weave's collapse during the Folly of Karsus. They were absorbed into the mythal-like mantle of the Sargauth Enclave, and later came to share a unique relationship with the "new" mythal-like mantle when the Weave restored itself.

So it's not too much of a stretch to postulate that the Skulls have since learned a secret or three from that time re: the possibility of surviving a second collapse of the Weave. And, thus, eventually risked putting those secrets into practice in order to save both themselves and Skullport, when the Spellplague raged across Toril .
rjfras Posted - 04 Feb 2012 : 02:49:32
1st) Lapaliiya (each city state and the surrounding areas)
2nd) Tethyr (an update)
Dennis Posted - 04 Feb 2012 : 02:37:33

Which should have failed, or ceased working, when the Weave collapsed. Same goes to the elven mythal-surrounded cities. It just makes sense that during a world-spanning magical disaster, the ones that should feel the brunt of its devastation are the magic-rich realms.
The Sage Posted - 04 Feb 2012 : 02:02:41
quote:

How (and why) did Skullport survive the Spellplague? [Save the "because the SP struck random targets" explanation.]

I still suspect that this is either mainly due to Skullport's "mythal," or because of some unrecognised aspect of the Skulls protecting the city.
Dennis Posted - 03 Feb 2012 : 23:36:18

How (and why) did Skullport survive the Spellplague? [Save the "because the SP struck random targets" explanation.]
Dark Wizard Posted - 03 Feb 2012 : 20:52:50
quote:
Originally posted by Mournblade

Having a clean area is not a deal breaker for me, but I know what made a lot of fans angry in 2nd edition was that Sembia became developed. It was told to readers in 1st edition Sembia would be left alone. So some people, I think rightfully since they were told that, were angry.

As for me, I like to use the Undeveloped continents for my own regions. It seems like there is little point in the publisher developing those.

Clean areas are good for the setting. They should have always remained as such.

Promising a location as central geographically as Sembia probably wasn't the wisest decision.

There are ways to do it well. Other continents are a good way, if a bit far. Another is have fringe areas, like wildernesses with barebones details, a sandbox for PCs to shape.
Mournblade Posted - 03 Feb 2012 : 18:53:51
quote:
Originally posted by Eladrinstar

As a Realmslore junkie, I'm not so enamored with them leaving an area purposefully blank for DM creativity. The Realms are huge, I can change whatever I want for my purposes, I don't want a region to go lore-less for such purposes. If I want my own region, I'll make a homebrew world.

Having a clean area is not a deal breaker for me, but I know what made a lot of fans angry in 2nd edition was that Sembia became developed. It was told to readers in 1st edition Sembia would be left alone. So some people, I think rightfully since they were told that, were angry.

As for me, I like to use the Undeveloped continents for my own regions. It seems like there is little point in the publisher developing those.

Eladrinstar Posted - 03 Feb 2012 : 16:52:57
As a Realmslore junkie, I'm not so enamored with them leaving an area purposefully blank for DM creativity. The Realms are huge, I can change whatever I want for my purposes, I don't want a region to go lore-less for such purposes. If I want my own region, I'll make a homebrew world.
Tyrant Posted - 03 Feb 2012 : 16:48:23
quote:
Originally posted by Erendriel Durothil

I hope the fey (including Tel-Quessir, especially Sun and Star Elves) get more treatment, as well as the LeShay and the kingdom of Sarifal in the Moonshae Isles.

You may be interested in one of the novels coming out this year, The Rose of Sarifal.
Eilserus Posted - 03 Feb 2012 : 07:22:12
Special treatment: Yulash

I really would like to see some work done on this ruined city. Given a hundred years of time and no update in the 4E campaign guide, this city could have been rebuilt. Or a giant ruin to explore. It has such GREAT history I don't understand why it has been left so long without being touched. And we haven't had a map, that I know of, done of the city since the FR Atlas book from long ago. Yulash could make for an awesome open city-state for DM's to use in their campaigns.

Ancient Yulash was described in the 2E Moonsea book to have once been inhabited by powerful wizards and priests of forgotten gods. And the mountain it sits on is honeycombed with caverns, lairs and chambers full of treasure, populated with all manner of underdwellers, from known species to as yet undiscovered ones. There is also mention of gateways scattered throughout. We also have the history of the cult of Moander being based here in ancient times. Lots of juicy stuff to work with there and could be an awesome area for PC's to explore and adventure within.
Mournblade Posted - 03 Feb 2012 : 05:27:33
Well I haven't bought a supplement or novel set after the spellplague. I would like to give wotc my money again but they will have to significantly support pre spellplague for my interest.

I have hope with novels. When a new one is released I check the in game date. If it is before 1400 I will read it.
Aryalómë Posted - 03 Feb 2012 : 05:21:35
I hope the fey (including Tel-Quessir, especially Sun and Star Elves) get more treatment, as well as the LeShay and the kingdom of Sarifal in the Moonshae Isles.

I'd like some of the devils and demons to get better lore treatmenst (namely Erinyes and Incubi and Succubi or course :P).

I'd also love to get to know the Seldarine, the REAL Eladrin (if they get put back in the old context), Arvandor, the Seldarine's priests and the Drow pantheon's (especially Kiaransalee's) clergy a lot better.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 03 Feb 2012 : 05:15:36
quote:

Losing Turmish for that might not be such a bad idea, but Turmish has some canon (even though its had zero impact on the Realms in its entire history).

Zero impact? Akabar bel Akash was Turmish, and he was part of the destruction of Moander and the ascension of Finder. That's a lot more impact than what a lot of other regions can claim.
Jakk Posted - 03 Feb 2012 : 01:53:33
quote:

If they hadn't of messed-up their 'plan' from the beginning, we would have never needed a '4e Realms'. Originally, there were areas left 'blank' (or semi-blank) for DMs, like Sembia & Erlkazar. They existed for that express purpose - a place for DMs to drop-in their own stuff without affecting FR's continuity overmuch.

And that was great, until authors looked at those 'virgin' areas and decided despite what we were promised, they were going to use them up, regardless.

We can hope that they've learned from their mistakes... and just to be clear, I'm not calling the Spellplague a mistake. I'm calling the events that led up to it, and made them feel that it was needed, a mistake. Also, specific stats for deities and Chosen should never have been printed, as this is what turned everything into an arms race; I think that's been brought up by others as well.

quote:

I WANT an area that is fairly pristine, somewhere slightly out-of-the way, without having to nuke stuff we already had. I kinda felt like Vassa and Damara could have been used for that. If it was just a town or city(state), you could squeeze that in anywhere, but we really didn't have a decent-size area for someone who wanted their own country (Veldorn... but that was really far from the Heartlands). You see, I know this, because I had to do this weird 'stretchy-thing' to the map (adding to the shar mostly), and then juggle some countries around to get what I wanted. I was pretty proud of that first attempt - its what got me started mapping.

Anyhow, I would suggest leaving Chult blank, because now we have Maztica (or Laerakond), and we also have jungles in northern Zakhara and southern K-T. It works better for this purpose in its 'island incarnation' we got in 4e (and they can even leave the jungles - just make it 'unknown'). But we need another decent sized northern spot, so I would suggest taking the Bloodstone Lands back (at least partially - maybe leave the pass, and just have Vassa & Damara be tiny little 'dukedoms' or some-such.

That gives us a cold kingdom and a hot kingdom to play with. We just need a more centralized temperate one. Losing Turmish for that might not be such a bad idea, but Turmish has some canon (even though its had zero impact on the Realms in its entire history). Still, its centralized, so it would work well. That would give 3 DM-option areas, with three different climates. Other areas can be left 'light' (like Erlkazar).

They obviously can't do that with the Mainstream Realms, but maybe Ed can do it with his new presentation, Only thing is, knowing ed, he probably filled-in every last crevice on the planet. That's a good thing, if we actually do see an entire product-line come out of it, but it does re-create the problem of us not getting 'a sandbox'.

Of course, if the reboot the mainstream Realms back to 1386 DR (yes - I am pounding that dead horse straight into the ground), then they could easily give us the three areas I just described, without violating canon from any era (the Turmites could have all gone to Abeir... or not... our choice).

The 'mainstream' setting would be the one designed to play in, and Ed's can be... I don't know... some sort of on-going story? I would love to see them separate them into a novel-canon setting and a source-only setting, but then where would novels go? They'd still cause problems in either - UNLESS they kept the stories 'small' (have Elaine explain to them how to write big stories that don't leave too many ripples - most authors write like they are doing canon-balls off the high dive).

Heh... "canon-balls"... I like the pun... or was that just a typo? Either way, I'm reluctant to wipe anything out; I think (some of) the areas that have no canon description as yet should be the areas left for our development, but that doesn't work well if you're wanting to stay in Faerun. Personally, I would love them to go with the alternate timeline idea, retcon the 3E geography, and not shrink the d***ed map! Shrinking down all the distances took away all the empty space people had to work with in 1E and 2E, and contributed to making the Spellplague happen. Regardless of what else they do, unless we get the alternate timeline (and I'm not talking about retconning the Spellplague out of existence; that would be short-sighted and dangerous, imho), I don't think WotC will be getting my money for anything except the "Ed's Realms" product line (and I'm hoping it will be a product line, not just a single title).

Oh... and 1386? That's at least a year too late, Mark; do you mean 1368? Just thought I'd check...
Markustay Posted - 03 Feb 2012 : 01:28:14

I WANT an area that is fairly pristine, somewhere slightly out-of-the way, without having to nuke stuff we already had. I kinda felt like Vassa and Damara could have been used for that. If it was just a town or city(state), you could squeeze that in anywhere, but we really didn't have a decent-size area for someone who wanted their own country (Veldorn... but that was really far from the Heartlands). You see, I know this, because I had to do this weird 'stretchy-thing' to the map (adding to the shar mostly), and then juggle some countries around to get what I wanted. I was pretty proud of that first attempt - its what got me started mapping.

Anyhow, I would suggest leaving Chult blank, because now we have Maztica (or Laerakond), and we also have jungles in northern Zakhara and southern K-T. It works better for this purpose in its 'island incarnation' we got in 4e (and they can even leave the jungles - just make it 'unknown'). But we need another decent sized northern spot, so I would suggest taking the Bloodstone Lands back (at least partially - maybe leave the pass, and just have Vassa & Damara be tiny little 'dukedoms' or some-such.

That gives us a cold kingdom and a hot kingdom to play with. We just need a more centralized temperate one. Losing Turmish for that might not be such a bad idea, but Turmish has some canon (even though its had zero impact on the Realms in its entire history). Still, its centralized, so it would work well. That would give 3 DM-option areas, with three different climates. Other areas can be left 'light' (like Erlkazar).

They obviously can't do that with the Mainstream Realms, but maybe Ed can do it with his new presentation, Only thing is, knowing ed, he probably filled-in every last crevice on the planet. That's a good thing, if we actually do see an entire product-line come out of it, but it does re-create the problem of us not getting 'a sandbox'.

Of course, if the reboot the mainstream Realms back to 1386 DR (yes - I am pounding that dead horse straight into the ground), then they could easily give us the three areas I just described, without violating canon from any era (the Turmites could have all gone to Abeir... or not... our choice).

The 'mainstream' setting would be the one designed to play in, and Ed's can be... I don't know... some sort of on-going story? I would love to see them separate them into a novel-canon setting and a source-only setting, but then where would novels go? They'd still cause problems in either - UNLESS they kept the stories 'small' (have Elaine explain to them how to write big stories that don't leave too many ripples - most authors write like they are doing canon-balls off the high dive).
Dennis Posted - 03 Feb 2012 : 01:22:47

I wouldn't say most of Shar's secrets are revealed. She cloaks each secret with a dozen more. A cover-up. If some get revealed, I'd say that's just understandable. She's not all-powerful in the first place. If she were, she would have replaced Ao long time ago.
Dark Wizard Posted - 03 Feb 2012 : 00:50:06
I wouldn't count Cyric out yet. All that hoopla about killing Mystra and imprisonment and he's still around, when to really clean house, as one of the more active gods, he should have gotten the axe.

He has stuck around despite many people voicing dislike of him (not enough perhaps). Maybe someone higher up believes the character serves some purpose. Or he's just someone's pet character.

The wacky hijinks of Cyric (despite somewhat fitting his portfolio) is one of the contributors to the perception of a zany soap opera pantheon.

I think they were aiming for a mix between Loki and a sociopath serial killer. They did not accomplish the cosmic vibe of Loki nor the danger of a believable serial killer, or even a TV police procedural serial killer. He ends up this oddly amorphous entity thinking he's more powerful than he is and more powerful than he knows what to do with. Given good handlers this could have been interesting, but it comes off as unbelievably lucky and Gary Stu-ish.

Shar is another deity I know far too much about (hint to WotC, stop piling detailing about the actual gods themselves and maybe people wouldn't complain about the pantheon). For a goddess of secrets, she has way too many of her plans exposed. Yet they've used her portfolio of secrets to trump all others. Everything kept secret she knows about, even divine ones. I'm not looking for divine tragedies, that leads to perceptions of pantheon soap operas. I want gods solely for my characters to roleplay as the clergy or or interact in some way. I don't actually need the gods themselves.

Al this might be fine if she herself was kept mysterious and ambiguous. If she's so powerful, the crystal sphere should be returned to primordial darkness long ago. Just as the absolute of Mystra or good deities is stifling, Shar's nigh omnipotence and untouchability does cut off many avenues of plot and conflict.
Dennis Posted - 03 Feb 2012 : 00:39:52

They didn't allow a crazy but genius mortal (Karsus) to ascend, only a mad and stupid one (Cyric). Sounds great.
Bladewind Posted - 03 Feb 2012 : 00:23:11
Cyric already is reduced in significance. It would be quite the heist if he manages to escape his 1000 year imprisonment. And his clergy was always practically doomed if you think about it. The Mad God loved the internal strife he caused in his clergy by sending his followers mixed messages. I can only see Cyrics mental condition going worse by his incarceration on his own throne, and so the clergy is poised to destroy itself if they are devoutly blind enough. Long before Cyric imprisonment is over one effective hostile takeover from another rival evil priesthood could end Cyrics currently mighty priesthood.

But overall, Cyrics story is tragic, thats why I like it. Most fledgling gods can be snuffed out or burn away in madness. Cyric did actually both. Ascending should no always go over well.
Ayrik Posted - 03 Feb 2012 : 00:20:47
Well, I don't mind keeping Cyric around as the God of Fools. For all those Evil-aligned Volo fops out there who don't want to worship Tymora.
Dennis Posted - 02 Feb 2012 : 23:40:58
quote:
Originally posted by ZeshinX

I'd like to see Cyric reduced in significance/power or his outright destruction and the return of Myrkul and Bhaal.

Agreed. Anything that takes Cyric out of the picture is fine with me.
Eilserus Posted - 02 Feb 2012 : 23:03:16
You know, I was thinking. If the point of the Spellplague was to free up space for DM's to insert their own cities and kingdoms into known lands and the Realms, it really could have been obtained with just using a timeline jump, without all nuking that took place. The 4E campaign guide has major cities and areas noted, but there is alot of free space now where a person can drop their own kingdom in somewhere without feeling like you are messing up canon or moving into the realm of the unbelievable. If that was the intent, it was a good idea, it just didn't pan out right.

Giving DM's their own sandbox within the known Realms would maybe be better served by using Faerun's past, like when men were first settling the Moonsea and Cormyr and Sembia were fledging nations. There's a lot you can work with there and still have that Realms feel and that's only one period and aside from some historical footnotes, is wide open for development. Really, they could take their entire Points of Light setting and morph it into the past for all sorts of new and creative lore. Not all of it, but there are some good bits that could easily be used. Some players like sandbox play, I know I do, this would be a way to give it to them. I'd love to see the Land Under Shadows, Tuir Stonebeard's realm and the fall of Mount Grimmerfang, the Shoon Imperium, etc etc.

If pockets of Spellplague are really bits of the leftover weave, maybe it will get stitched back together in one form or another. Would repairing the Weave bring back the lands that disappeared in the south? Maybe not totally, but you could probably stick portions of Mulhorand and Unther back if there's some sort of odd crossover again or whatever other changes that should be "fixed". Repair the Weave and stitch back the Realms, I'm sure the various resident scribes and designers could easily make this happen and work in a believable way. I'm not saying remove all aspects of 4E changes, but smoothing out the rough edges and a bit of mending will go a long way to getting back on the path we've all known for the last few decades.

Personally, I'm OK with alot of the changes to the Realms after the Spellplague, in concept. Cormyr is still the same nation, but it's a totally new place to explore and learn about now. At the same time, some things did go too far. The annihilation of the Zhentarim, Thay and the Red Wizards as we know them are gone and who knows what happened to all the gods. But these things are all fixable. Relocate Manshoon to Darkhold or work out of Mulmaster. Szass Tam could have been training and setting up the next generation of Red Wizards we all know and love, just that he is still the overlord of Thay. Many of the gods may have been trapped in the elemental chaos when the planes exploded or dispersed and are now finally reawakening after decades of silence.

All of us who love the Realms, whether 1E, 2E, 3E or 4th should be working together to make something we all want. Frankly, WotC should tell us what their plans are for the Realms, whether reboot, retcon or moving on after the Spellplague. If we know this, we can start making it the Realms we all want. If WotC is so into seeking input from us all this time, let's help fill the holes or let them know what we think IS and ISN'T working. Sure they might screw the pooch on 5E, but I'm sailing through the storm or going down with the ship.

I don't know if we can influence the design of 5E, or help with changes and lore or however you want to put it, but there are scores of scribes on Candlekeep and that means we can bounce hundreds of ideas around the boards here. Maybe the designers will want to take some of these and implement them? If they want input for a 5E Realms, let's give it to them.
Old Man Harpell Posted - 02 Feb 2012 : 21:13:56
quote:
Originally posted by Mournblade
If forgotten Realms is good, I will play 5e D&D along with Pathfinder. If Forgotten Realms reflects too much like the plague realms I will continue to play Pathfinder only.

This is me in a nutshell as well. Although I will go on the record as saying I expect awesomeness from Ed's Mighty Pen, provided the professors at Wizbro keep their grubby mitts off his work beyond page count requirements. Even then, I would shell out the cash for a Dungeon World-size tome.

I am going to buy the work, as someone said previously, 'sight unseen'. The differences between it and the canonical Realms, even stretching back to the OGB, are purportedly great enough that one can figure out that it is not the same world that gave birth to the Shattered Realms. That is sufficiently 'alternate timeline' enough for me, though I will certainly not complain if they also create a divergent timeline at 1375 DR (or whatever). This looks to be an 'everyone wins' scenario.
Mournblade Posted - 02 Feb 2012 : 18:28:13
quote:
Originally posted by Dark Wizard
That long post with which I fully agree.

Very well said!

Mournblade Posted - 02 Feb 2012 : 18:25:42
quote:

Hmmmm... like usual, I seem to have lost my point inside a bunch of random gibberish (my gibberish).

My point is that if they reset the clock to before the Spellplague (pick any date), and don't even talk about the Spellplague at all, will that still offend people?

Because them ignoring it before 1385DR does NOT invalidate the Spellplague at all. We have to be prepared for that possibility.

If they do precisely that - not even talk about the Spellplague one way or the other - its a great way to keep the 4e fans happy (because one could assume its still intact) and also keep the pre-plague fans happy.

But would that really make YOU happy, Therise, if they took no official stand on it one way or the other? Do they have to actually admonish/abolish 4e's existence for people to buy pre-plague material?

Their exact wording thus far has been "We plan to support all editions in 5e". That implies 4e lore remains in-place, weather they cater to the 4e crowd or not.

I guess what I'm driving at is, will it take hurting the 4e fans to make some of the folks around here happy? Will it really make a difference if they take no official stance on the Spellplague?

I don't really want to see 4e fans hurt. I like them.

Yet nobody asked the older fans how much they would hate if everything THEY liked was taken away, in fact very often people would just say GOOD, the old realms were too hard to play in anyway.

I don't want any fan to be hurt. My money however is good. I will not pay my money to get 4e realms support. If they ditch it I will be happy. All WOTC worried about was making new fans happy and they lost that bet. Well as an older fan I will be happy if 4e plague realms is left alone, not decanonized, but not mentioned ever again.

The 4e Forgotten Realms guide happened to be the perfect thickness to stop my dryer from wobbling. It has lived as a prop under my dryer for the last 3 years. I will not pay money for 50% 4e realms material.

I am more vocal about this now, because with the announcement of a new edition I feel like WOTC got smart and started listening to the people that stopped buying their product. I am just saying what will get me to start buying theirs again, nothing more.

If forgotten Realms is good, I will play 5e D&D along with Pathfinder. If Forgotten Realms reflects too much like the plague realms I will continue to play Pathfinder only.
Mournblade Posted - 02 Feb 2012 : 18:14:46
quote:
Originally posted by Jakk

Not at all... but "taking no official stance on the Spellplague" to me means "giving us another canonical option"... not simply a reboot to some earlier time so we can live in the past. The megamodule trilogy could have established a precedent allowing the PCs (and published adventures) to set the course for the Realms, instead of novels and RSEs. And really, they can make this work for the novels as well; novels set in the non-Spellplagued Realms can reference the 4E canon Realms through dreams, magic, and other such devices to let the Realms know that "this is what could have happened to us"... but it's all a moot point for me at this time; I'm waiting to see what happens in the next Elminster novel and what we get in the forthcoming Realms title at the end of the year. Honestly, the more I hear about what's going on, the more excited I am to see the new stuff... and hopefully I hear back regarding this 5e playtest soon.

This is pretty much my stance. I played through the last 3 modules and prevented the prophecy. Then it happened anyway, and they killed gods arbitrarily with no rhyme or reason other than the Realms as written could not have worked with the 4e ruleset.

If they want to keep the spellplague that's fine. Just offer an alternate canon. I am convinced one reason 4e was not so well received was the destruction of the forgotten realms. Hopefully enough voices will speak up to get WOTC to change the realms. I THINK it worked to spark an edition change, maybe it can work for a realms change.

Honestly though if they supported 4e plague realms but the majority of support went to pre 1385 realms I could still be onboard. I might even subscribe to DDI, to get that. I have to get my money's worth though, and half 4e material means my money is worth half as much as it should.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000