Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Kameron M Franklin

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Alaundo Posted - 12 Feb 2004 : 19:21:07
Well met

This being a collective scroll of any questions the Scribes and visitors of Candlekeep wish to put to a new author of the Realms, namely - Kameron M Franklin, competition winning author of the upcoming Maiden of Pain.

Present your questions herein and check back to see what news may also come forth from the quill of this author.
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Jakk Posted - 10 Dec 2008 : 06:42:02
quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

<snip> As long as you don't propose to destroy anything, you should have a chance <snip>

Heh... after the Spellplague, my logic would run in the opposite direction, but I'd still be interested in more Realms fiction from you, Kameron, even if it is post-Spellplague.
Brian R. James Posted - 05 Dec 2008 : 04:40:05
I surprised to hear this as well. I found Maiden of Pain to be a fantastic read. Best of luck to you Kameron!
Kameron M. Franklin Posted - 04 Dec 2008 : 19:39:23
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

Any information on your current projects?

I post info about current projects, and my thoughts on fantasy fiction in general, on my blog. I'd encourage people interested to visit, rather than go off-topic here.

quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

Man that's too bad. I thought the whole point of the Maiden of Pain competition was to find an Author to write realms novels on a regular basis, not to find a "one hit wonder" so to speak (not saying you are, just saying it seems like that's the way its being handled by Wizards). I for one would definately enjoy another realms novel written by you. Good luck with the unsolicited proposal. As long as you don't propose to destroy anything, you should have a chance (having written Maiden of Pain should help you more than a no name writer I imagine)....maybe if your proposal takes place in a remote location in Abeir you would have a better shot??

Heh, I've reconciled myself to the definite possibility I may in fact be a "one-hit wonder" with regards to the Realms. I appreciate your support.
Alisttair Posted - 04 Dec 2008 : 18:28:20
quote:
Originally posted by Kameron M. Franklin

The answer to both is an unfortunate "no". Wizards has not solicited me for a proposal since they were planning the Dungeons and Citadels series, and the unsolicited proposal I sent them just before the announcement of 4E did not lead to anything. I intend to submit one more unsolicited proposal after I have read through the 4E FR sourcebook, but I won't hold my breath. Because the managing editors plan their lines out a year or more in advance, it's pretty rare that something a work-for-hire author proposes doesn't conflict with directions and contracts already in the pipeline.

In the mean time, I'm working on projects of my own. Thanks for your interest.

Man that's too bad. I thought the whole point of the Maiden of Pain competition was to find an Author to write realms novels on a regular basis, not to find a "one hit wonder" so to speak (not saying you are, just saying it seems like that's the way its being handled by Wizards). I for one would definately enjoy another realms novel written by you. Good luck with the unsolicited proposal. As long as you don't propose to destroy anything, you should have a chance (having written Maiden of Pain should help you more than a no name writer I imagine)....maybe if your proposal takes place in a remote location in Abeir you would have a better shot??
Ashe Ravenheart Posted - 04 Dec 2008 : 18:15:38
Any information on your current projects?
Kameron M. Franklin Posted - 04 Dec 2008 : 16:57:21
The answer to both is an unfortunate "no". Wizards has not solicited me for a proposal since they were planning the Dungeons and Citadels series, and the unsolicited proposal I sent them just before the announcement of 4E did not lead to anything. I intend to submit one more unsolicited proposal after I have read through the 4E FR sourcebook, but I won't hold my breath. Because the managing editors plan their lines out a year or more in advance, it's pretty rare that something a work-for-hire author proposes doesn't conflict with directions and contracts already in the pipeline.

In the mean time, I'm working on projects of my own. Thanks for your interest.
Alisttair Posted - 04 Dec 2008 : 14:20:30
Hey I've been wondering, is Kameron currently writing, or under contract to write, another realms novel??
Zanan Posted - 21 Aug 2007 : 09:47:34
quote:

Good catch, Zanan. Yes, that was the intention and inference.

Well, might easily escape the eye on first read, but as with all good books, a second or third read reveals soooo much more

So hark all those of you who are interested, not only Elminster has daughters running about in the Realms!
Kameron M. Franklin Posted - 20 Aug 2007 : 18:11:19
Good catch, Zanan. Yes, that was the intention and inference.
Zanan Posted - 20 Aug 2007 : 09:24:06
While reviewing that book for a revision, I noted the peculiar mentioning of Yenael's meeting with Aznar Thurl and the timespan which passed since the current events. Was it intentionally, i.e. suggesting that Yenael's affair with Aznar actually resulted in fair Ythnel, a maid that was told she was an orphan?

Thanks, Zanan!
Zanan Posted - 10 Jan 2007 : 11:26:33
Vendui!

DMs and players alike have a special craving for original characters of novels, games and et al. Generally, if you go for a NPC write-up of hers, you'd see dozens of people commenting on her and start to debate all the little (or grand) things she did and whether or not it will be possible with regard to her statblock. Several dozen alternatives will be presented, not least due to the umpteen new books that have seen the light of day after the publishing of Maiden of Pain. Best - some may call it worst - example here is that scimitar-wielding drow no D&D-board can go without. So ... while I'd appreciate the work, you will see no end of discussions about a published character in game terms which so easily create havoc amongst otherwise sensible boarders. Keeping her a bit of a mystery will IMHO suit your cause better, especially if she makes an appearance in any future novel or sourcebook.

Thanks for all the info,

Zanan!
Kameron M. Franklin Posted - 09 Jan 2007 : 16:36:04
Her success against Kaestra Karanok was due mainly to strategic use of her domain powers, a minor protection spell against the abishai and the fact that Kaestra was unarmored. If you'd like, I'll check my notes and provide you with a specific list of spells cast, spell domains and feats used. That's pretty much the extent to which I developed Ythnel from a game mechanics standpoint.
Zanan Posted - 09 Jan 2007 : 09:25:25
quote:

Hi, Zanan. I didn't completely stat out Ythnel, but I put her power level around 3rd or 4th level. As for alignment, she was LN. Thanks for your interest and I hope you liked the book.

Well, I did, and this will obviously reflect in the revision. Regarding the stats, I'd have expected her to be about (at least) twice that level, since she took on the Karanok lass (14th level) and ... well, that would spoil the reading. I have noted a tendency amongst novel authors to view their heroes as being weaker (level-wise) than they c/should be - relative to their novel actions. Well, the WotSQ characters were one exception to that observation. Ahem ... no critique of you or any other author reading along! My entry's villainess had 15 levels to draw upon for in-novel stunts, spells and what have you. But that is of no concern here.

Aluve, Zanan.
Kameron M. Franklin Posted - 09 Jan 2007 : 00:31:12
Hi, Zanan. I didn't completely stat out Ythnel, but I put her power level around 3rd or 4th level. As for alignment, she was LN. Thanks for your interest and I hope you liked the book.
Zanan Posted - 08 Jan 2007 : 23:29:55
Vendui Mr. Franklin!

I'll revise Maiden of Pain for the German DnD-Gate* and would like to ask a few question beforehand ... if I may?

Did you write the book "on the fly" or did you actually have statblocks for some of the main culprits and protagonist (Ythnel) ready at hand? If so, would you share her level with us? (Those of House Karanok have been listed in Lords of Darkness.)

Going by the rules (not that many seem to be interested in this beforehand) Loviatans such as Ythnel could be either LN, LE or NE ... where would you place Ythnel?

Aluve, Zanan!

*http://www.dnd-gate.de/gate3/page/index.php?id=31
Wooly Rupert Posted - 29 Oct 2005 : 17:37:19
Actually, the late Pope John Paul II said he had no problem with the Harry Potter books, because they emphasized good over evil...

The current Pope doesn't seem to like them, though.

However, this is going a bit off-topic.
khorne Posted - 29 Oct 2005 : 10:24:16
quote:
Originally posted by Braveheart

Yeah, it's just the first book I've (knowingly) encountered. Considering, that the Catholic Church is publicly condemning fantasy as a form of witchcraft (as for example is the case with the Harry Potter books), it's hard to believe WotC didn't get any complaints from some religious fanatics.
And yes, it does fit and enhances the feeling of being in a medieval environment a lot I think (especially with the Old Englisch words on it, that's quite fun if you live in Austria and someone tries to read the back cover whilest your reading the book, they get quite confused after a few seconds ). I was just astonished, that's all.

Harry Potter condemnded by the catholic church? Are you serious?
Braveheart Posted - 29 Oct 2005 : 10:01:14
Yeah, it's just the first book I've (knowingly) encountered. Considering, that the Catholic Church is publicly condemning fantasy as a form of witchcraft (as for example is the case with the Harry Potter books), it's hard to believe WotC didn't get any complaints from some religious fanatics.
And yes, it does fit and enhances the feeling of being in a medieval environment a lot I think (especially with the Old Englisch words on it, that's quite fun if you live in Austria and someone tries to read the back cover whilest your reading the book, they get quite confused after a few seconds ). I was just astonished, that's all.
Kameron M. Franklin Posted - 29 Oct 2005 : 01:02:04
It's actually quite fitting if you look at the context of the passage (which comes from Jeremiah, not Psalms--my mistake), not to mention that the King James vocabulary has a nice, archaic lilt to it.

Kajehase Posted - 28 Oct 2005 : 22:16:23
Not weirder than on any other (non-religious) piece of literature. I've more than one fantasy-book that starts off with a poem by Kipling, is that any less weird, for instance?
Braveheart Posted - 28 Oct 2005 : 21:14:10
Sounds quite weird actually, having Psalms on the back cover of a fantasy novel..
Kameron M. Franklin Posted - 28 Oct 2005 : 15:14:30
Yeah, someone at WotC chose that particular quote from Psalms for the back cover blurb.
Paec_djinn Posted - 28 Oct 2005 : 15:01:02
I think it WotC who did it. All the Priest novels have some sort of verses at the back which seem like poetry.
Braveheart Posted - 28 Oct 2005 : 10:25:13
Hi Kameron,

I have a question about the text written on the back of "Maiden of Pain".
I was wondering if you chose that bible-quotation or if someone at WotC chose it,
and if you chose it: Why that particular quote?

Cheers ;)
Kameron M. Franklin Posted - 09 Aug 2005 : 03:51:44
Heh, yeah, and I only found out recently that the events folks at Borders made a major goof on their end of the promotion. They listed it on their website and in the local papers for July instead of June.
Xysma Posted - 09 Aug 2005 : 03:01:43
quote:

I've posted a video clip of my book signing this last Saturday. If you're interested, check it out on my blog.

Quality over quantity, eh? Seriously, it looks like a good time was had by all.
Kameron M. Franklin Posted - 21 Jun 2005 : 19:17:39
I've posted a video clip of my book signing this last Saturday. If you're interested, check it out on my blog.
SiriusBlack Posted - 06 Jun 2005 : 11:23:16
WOTC has just posted Author Profile: Kameron M. Franklin for those interested.
Malaug Posted - 06 Jun 2005 : 01:20:47
I would just like to tell the folks that the book is also out here in Australia, Melbourne and any good book store should have it. That basically counts out any major chain book store for at least 3 months.

Try Mind Games, Minotaur or the new store Science and Swords in Lonsdale Street.

Personally I have just started reading it and am finding it quite entertaining.
Xysma Posted - 27 May 2005 : 15:46:30
Finished it late last night, I just couldn't go to sleep until I found out what happened. I loved the book, the characters were excellent. I like that there are a lot of loose ends for you to tie up later on (hopefully)

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000