Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Brotherhood of the Griffon

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Tarrok of Halruaa Posted - 29 Jun 2011 : 16:01:01
Just thought that I would log my appreciation here of Richard Lee Byer's Brotherhood of the Griffon series. I have just finished volume 3 in the series and am very pleased that volume 4 is on its way in 2012 - although I am a little confused about the title as Amazon.com says one thing, whilst the frontspiece of volume 3 says another...
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Merrith Posted - 15 Aug 2012 : 23:56:02
quote:
Originally posted by Aulduron

If you know the plot of Rogue Dragons, you should assume they succeeded in their quest (as happens in every series of books). That's all you really need to know in order to read tBotG, other than Brimstone was a part of it.

But the way they succeeded has repercussions going forward that Brimstone figures into in BotG series (at least the first 3 books)
Gustafson Posted - 15 Aug 2012 : 21:52:19
I'd even include the Year of Rogue Dragons trilogy as recommended prior reading. Both it and the HL trilogy have tie ins and introduce characters you see later in BotG.
[/quote]

I couldn't manage to read the Rogue Dragons myself, but it is on my list
Aulduron Posted - 15 Aug 2012 : 19:47:13
If you know the plot of Rogue Dragons, you should assume they succeeded in their quest (as happens in every series of books). That's all you really need to know in order to read tBotG, other than Brimstone was a part of it.
Brimstone Posted - 15 Aug 2012 : 18:59:50
quote:
Originally posted by phranctoast

Was there anyone else in Rogue Dragons and BOTG other than Brimstone?

Who, me?
Merrith Posted - 15 Aug 2012 : 16:52:53
quote:
Originally posted by phranctoast

Well only one character in that case...but plenty of the back story as far as the dragons go
Aulduron Posted - 15 Aug 2012 : 16:51:44
Not that I can remember.
phranctoast Posted - 15 Aug 2012 : 14:36:46
Merrith Posted - 15 Aug 2012 : 13:37:22
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

I would like to echo Aulduron's words. No, it's not necessary to read the HL trilogy prior to sinking your teeth into the BotG series. But, it's HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. It's one of FR's best series, and remains as RLB's best to date. Just my opinion, of course.

I'd even include the Year of Rogue Dragons trilogy as recommended prior reading. Both it and the HL trilogy have tie ins and introduce characters you see later in BotG.
Gustafson Posted - 15 Aug 2012 : 09:20:28
quote:
Originally posted by Bionic Man

Do I have to read The Haunted Lands series to enjoy/follow these books?

Thanks

It is not necessary, but if you don't read it, you will miss a fantastic masterpiece. I just couldn't stop it...
Dennis Posted - 15 Aug 2012 : 07:04:18

I would like to echo Aulduron's words. No, it's not necessary to read the HL trilogy prior to sinking your teeth into the BotG series. But, it's HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. It's one of FR's best series, and remains as RLB's best to date. Just my opinion, of course.
Aulduron Posted - 15 Aug 2012 : 04:16:24
It would help greatly, but probably not necessary. Though Haunted Lands is a very good series. I highly recommend it.
Bionic Man Posted - 15 Aug 2012 : 03:31:52
Do I have to read The Haunted Lands series to enjoy/follow these books?

Thanks
Richard Lee Byers Posted - 09 Aug 2012 : 13:53:30
Thank you, Black Wolf! I appreciate it.
Black Wolf Posted - 09 Aug 2012 : 13:17:14
I wanted to get on here and give my appreciation to Mr Richard Lee Byers. I've been stationed over seas for the better part of a year and since being here I found your books at the small book store we have on base. Your books have definitely been a great read and I'm really looking forward to the fifth book in the brotherhood of the griffin series. Take care sir and can't wait to get a hold of your next book and hopefully a few more of your series.
Dennis Posted - 28 Jul 2012 : 08:52:06

Yes, I mentioned that in a couple of scrolls. As for the other zulkirs: [some spoilers]Szass Tam's spell that polymorphed Nevron into a mane must have expired when Nevron reached the Nine Hells, allowing him to transform himself back to normal and shift back to Faerun. In The Simbul's Gift by Lynn Abbey, the Simbul owed Laurozil a favor. I suppose Laurozil collected that debt moments before he fell out of thin air during their confrontation with Szass Tam---a powerful contingency spell Alassra herself crafted, stored in a ring, and gave to Lauzoril. Mythrellan must have created an illusory dummy days before Szass Tam decided to rid of her; so the lich destroyed the dummy, most likely believing he killed the real Zulkir of Illusion, while she herself teleported to some other civilized city wearing whatever disguise she fancies. And Lallara... well, she must have two teleportation rings.[end of spoiler]
LastStand Posted - 28 Jul 2012 : 08:21:00
** Spoiler Warning **
I always thought Lallara got out alive somehow. She didn't seem like the type (being a Red Wizard and all) to save someone else without a contingency planned for her own well-being?
Also, in another scroll, this also came up and I believe it was Dennis who had an interesting theory: That Yaphyll, being such a powerful Diviner, might have sent a part of her to the future when she cast that spell for Szass Tam. (correct me if I'm wrong Dennis)

Well, to the point, I won't mind or be surprized to see those two surface once again - maybe some of the other Zulkirs as well.

Edit: fixed typo & added spoiler warning.
Dennis Posted - 28 Jul 2012 : 03:25:08

I surely do! If or when they truly 'rise from the dead,' I'd rather have it done by you. Sometimes, when resurrection of some characters are handled by others who didn't create said characters nor at least presented their deaths, we see a couple of problems. Foremost of which is the disconnect between the characters' lives before and after their demise.
Richard Lee Byers Posted - 28 Jul 2012 : 02:48:37
Have we seen the last of the zulkirs? Well, in a fantasy world, death isn't necessarily a career-ending injury. Do people want them to rise from the ashes?
Dennis Posted - 28 Jul 2012 : 01:06:48

For that matter, the rest of the zulkirs whose fates at the end of Unholy are somewhat vague...
jordanz Posted - 27 Jul 2012 : 20:07:44
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lee Byers

Very glad you liked it, Gustafson. As for your question, at this point, let me just assure you that Book 5 continues the story begun in Book 4.

Love your novels Richard. Have we seen the last of Nevron?
Richard Lee Byers Posted - 25 Jul 2012 : 23:49:59
Very glad you liked it, Gustafson. As for your question, at this point, let me just assure you that Book 5 continues the story begun in Book 4.
Gustafson Posted - 25 Jul 2012 : 17:27:03
Almost finished the Masked Witches-another fantastic masterpiece from Mr Byers!!! He and Richard Baker are the best at present in the Realms!!! Can't wait the next volume. Will book 4-5-6 tell us one story as book 1-2-3 did?
Richard Lee Byers Posted - 20 May 2012 : 03:43:52
Not so much.
Dennis Posted - 20 May 2012 : 02:15:27

Are dragons going to play a major (or minor) role in the next book? [Hopefully, this is not NDA.]
Richard Lee Byers Posted - 29 Apr 2012 : 07:10:21
Unfortunately, I don't know how soon you'll see that stuff. I can tell you, though, that I've seen the cover painting, and it's stunning. It truly does remind me of the Frank Frazetta and Roy G. Krenkel art that wowed me as a kid and which, to me, is still the ultimate in heroic-fantasy illustration.
Dennis Posted - 29 Apr 2012 : 03:46:21
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lee Byers

Dennis: I'm writing the book now. It will be out in the first half of 2013.

How soon can we see the sample chapter, blurb, and cover?
Tanthalas Posted - 28 Apr 2012 : 23:00:06
I wish the book was here already!

I've really been enjoying the Brotherhood of the Griffon books.
Richard Lee Byers Posted - 26 Apr 2012 : 14:11:32
Dennis: I'm writing the book now. It will be out in the first half of 2013.

scererar: Glad you're enjoying it.
scererar Posted - 26 Apr 2012 : 03:33:02
Just started reading this series and only a few chapters in, but digging it so far.
Dennis Posted - 26 Apr 2012 : 02:32:30

Any news on the sequel to The Masked Witches?

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000