Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 What FR book should I read next?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
jornan Posted - 13 Jan 2012 : 22:14:47
I have fallen behind in my FR book reading of late and have less and less time to read for enjoyment. So I want to weigh in on the best FR book to read next and any possible reasons why.

Thanks
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Thauranil Posted - 16 Jan 2012 : 11:04:44
Cry of the ghostwolf is quite good. Its different from the other novels so i would recomend that. Restless shore is not something you should purchase in my view as its a rather pointless book. a one time read.
Artemas Entreri Posted - 16 Jan 2012 : 03:36:27
quote:
Originally posted by skychrome

I cannot recommend anyone of those because I have not been able to read any of these because 80-90% are not available as eBooks outside the US, therefore I have to spend my money elsewhere.

Try eBay
skychrome Posted - 16 Jan 2012 : 02:34:38
I cannot recommend anyone of those because I have not been able to read any of these because 80-90% are not available as eBooks outside the US, therefore I have to spend my money elsewhere.
jornan Posted - 14 Jan 2012 : 16:47:37
I've read every FR book ever published other than these seven books. So no need to worry if I'll follow the story. I too need to come to grips with reading Shadowbane on my ipad. :(
Artemas Entreri Posted - 14 Jan 2012 : 15:56:47
I haven't read any of these, sorry.
Dennis Posted - 14 Jan 2012 : 13:49:17

Have you read the other 4E novels not on the list? My recommendation is not there. Though I myself would most likely read the Unbroken Chain: Darker Road.
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 14 Jan 2012 : 06:07:22
Aww!

I would recommend you read Downshadow before you read Shadowbane. Not that you really have to (I think it stands on its own), but you might like the chance to get to know the characters a little more. Or maybe read it after?

Cheers
Tyrant Posted - 14 Jan 2012 : 02:56:29
I am reluctant to actually vote for one of these because it is hard to pick one amongst the ones I have read. I myself will be reading Cry of the Ghost Wolf very soon since I have about 50 pages or so of Hand of the Hunter left. I have read Brimstone Angels, Dawnbringer, and Unbroken Chain 2. I'll break down why I think each of these would be good.

Brimstone Angels-I wrote a review of sorts here in the novel section and it should still be in the first 3 pages or so. The writing and characters are excellent. The singular element I disliked was that the Dragonborn character was essentially "gruff, exiled soldier". Now, he was that to a T, so it wasn't that his part was poorly written. I think if anything it's because everyone else in the book is so well written and interesting I found myself thinking "man, what's this guy's story?". He is written as his character type demands, but everyone else is so lively it stands out a little. And that is a very, very minor issue, if it is one at all.

Unbroken Chain-I read this several months ago. I thought it was good. If you liked the first you will like this one. It further explores the main characters of the first book and sees them travel to Toril, specifically Rasheman. So, you also get to see a glimpse of how others view the Shadar Kai.

Dawnbringer-First and foremost, the blurb is way off. This is not Romeo and Juliet meets the Realms. There is an aspect of that, but it is superficial. The main action follows two Devas in their current lives. It gives you an insight into what an endless cycle of death and rebirth might be like and how it might change someone. There is a pretty massive time jump at one point that goes way beyond any current material, but it serves a purpose. I enjoyed the book overall and I would definitely read a follow up if it were to be written.

I haven't read Shadowbane but if Erik's other books are anything to go by I am sure it is a must read. I just need to come to grips with having to read it on my computer.

Edit to add: Here is the review for Brimstone Angels. I believe I kept it relatively spoiler free. The posts after mine may not be so read them at your own risk.
scererar Posted - 14 Jan 2012 : 01:58:03
Shadowbane is the only one I have read of those and it is a most excellent read. The others are in my to read pile. It will be interesting to see the opinions of other scribes on this as I am getting ready to prioritize a very similar list. For the moment, I went for A Dance with Dragons.
The Sage Posted - 14 Jan 2012 : 01:41:31
It really depends on your personal tastes.

My own choice would be Shadowbane. Erik's next creative contribution to Realms fiction. 'Nuff said!

I'd follow that with Sword of the Gods. But I know most here aren't always inclined toward Cordell-fiction, so...

I haven't read Dawnbringer, Brimstone Angels, or the second Unbroken Chain novel.

Cry of the Ghost Wolf still hasn't arrived yet, and The Restless Shore is in my "To-Read" stack.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000