Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Adventuring
 Scorpionfolk Guide P.E.A.C.H.

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Seethyr Posted - 26 Oct 2011 : 01:40:17
I was going to actually dust off this old scroll but then I realized that I would be unfairly taking it in a different direction than the OP wanted.

Basically, for my "Maztica Alive" campaign, I am trying to complete a sourcebook on the scorpionfolk of the realms. Seventeen pages are already complete (first draft) and some truly generous and fantastic artists have already contributed most of what I need to the project.

In the thread that I linked to above, the OP asked for information on the deities of the scorpionfolk and that has been a huge part of what I have done so far. I gathered whatever I could from official material (mostly the blurb on Oaxaptupa from the Underdark sourcebook) and expanded it to create the gods below. This is one part of my first draft and I would be very thankful if anyone could...

1) Constructively destroy or appreciate what has been written.

2) Add other thoughts to either these deities or really anything else to do with realmsian scorpionfolk that they think might be a good idea to include.

Anyway, here goes...I'll put in 2 gods per post to make each one manageable size-wise. Note that there will be names and concepts in the descriptions that you may not recognize, but refer to other parts of the guide. For example, the Opistacanthi, Palophonti, and Imperatonti are all subraces of scorpionfolk I have developed.

Gods and Religion

Life revolves around omen and divination and according to the Tlincalli; all divination comes from the gods. Each day to the scorpionfolk is preordained and they believe their gods know all that has happened and most of what will. They also believe that their deities are always trying to speak to them through even the most mundane of events, imparting their vast wisdom. Great investments in time are spent attempting to interpret these messages.

While practicality is not completely ignored, the scorpionfolk design their hive cities in mystical patterns to allow for more accurate divination. Fully one in five manscorpions is a cleric or belongs to a clan that supports the cleric caste. An almost equal amount of sorcerers exist who are typically just as pious, and both classes are referred to as diviners.

The deities themselves are undeniably strange and most are bloodthirsty and aggressive. They are also quite alien in mentality to a human, but they do share one thing in common with many of the other Maztican deities…a love of sacrifice.

Blood offered upon Tlincalli altars goes directly to the gods’ throats and with eleven gods to feed, sacrifice is an almost constant activity.

The number eleven is the number of immortal beings worshiped by the Tlincalli, but is also appears almost everywhere in their culture and religion. They consider the number sacred, in part due to the number of limbs on a scorpion (8 legs, two pincers and the deadly tail). There are eleven signs of the scorpionfolk Zodiac, six vices and five virtues, etc.

Individual deities and demon lords are described below.

Axipotl
Title(s) Venomlord
Power Level Lesser God
Symbol Stylized Stinger
Alignment Chaotic Evil
Portfolio Venom, Claws, Natural Weaponry
Worshipers Hishnashapers, Poisoners, Opistacanthi
Domains Animal, Planning, Hatred

Axipotl is the patron deity of the opistacanthi scorpionfolk and appears much like one of that tree dwelling offshoot. In fact, the resemblance of both the god and his worshipers to the humans of Maztica is mildly disturbing to the other gods. As the smallest of the gods he is often seen as an outcast, but he is still respected for his unbeatable marksmanship with a shortbow and theft of the strange human magic known as Hishna. When angered, the deity’s eyes glow with a fierce green light.

History/Relationships: Axipotl is somewhat of a loner and avoids contact with the other gods. Historically, he has been subservient to Huoxopica, but since his relatively recent theft of Hishna magic, he has come into his own. The human god Zaltec is furious over the theft of Hishna, however, and actively hunts the small scorpion god.

Much like Zaltec’s enmity to Qotal, Axipotl has grown to despise Pachutalixi and the feathered scorpion’s Pluma magic. The worshipers of each respective god are typically enemies because of this rivalry, though Pachutalixi’s do not frequently initiate any type of combat.

Dogma: Always fight from cover, claw to claw combat is for fools. Poison is a gift from your deity and you honor your god in its use. If you are smaller or physically weaker than others, you must defeat them with your cleverness.

Corantllil
Title(s) The Unceasing
Power Level Intermediate God
Symbol Anvil with attached Stinger
Alignment Neutral Evil
Portfolio Endless Activity, The Forge, Work
Worshipers The Worker Castes of Scorpionfolk
Domains Artifice, Craft, Knowledge

Corantllil plays a huge role in the everyday life of scorpionfolk. Work is considered second only to sacrifice in sating the gods’ appetites and Corantllil is said to be the fountain from which all industriousness flows. He appears as an incredibly large and muscular scorpionfolk with 16 legs instead of eight. His tail is capped with a fine chisel (though it can still inject poison) and one claw has been replaced with a massive iron hammer.

History/Relationships: If friendship can be said to exist among the deities of the scorpionfolk, it is best exemplified by Corantllil’s relationship with Pachutalixi. The two are not brothers, but act as if they are so, and even with their vastly differing outlooks and alignments, are quite overprotective of each other. Together, the scorpionfolk deities encourage their worshipers to create healing potions in massive quantities to counteract the great amounts of bloodletting the other gods demand on a daily basis. Corantllil’s work (and that of his worshipers) forging weapons, tools and shelter are also looked on favorably by Huoxopica, which keeps the worst of their ire from Corantllil’s merciful friend. Malinalxochitl has had fleeting relationships with Corantllil in the past but he often chooses to return to work rather than waste time on such fripperies. This annoys the Seductress to no end.

Dogma: Laziness is the ultimate sin and must be wiped away with blood. Only the scorpionfolk are willing to die in perpetual work, thus they are the only race that deserves life. If you are capable, you must be industrious. If you are not, then you too must make room for another. Use whatever means necessary to continue perpetual motion, for this will bring the scorpionfolk to greatness.
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
MalariaMoon Posted - 31 Dec 2011 : 07:27:13
Hi Seethyr,

These is the last of the scorpionfolk grafts from my original list of proposals ... although if any other good ideas come to mind before the netbook is finished I'll be sure to type them up. I will be sending you a word doc with all the grafts I've created shortly, although at the time of writing hotmail and my computer don't seem to be getting along.

Cheers, and Happy New Year!
MalariaMoon Posted - 31 Dec 2011 : 07:23:54
Fortress Carapace

This scorpionfolk bears an exoskeleton so impregnable it can barely move for the weight of its armoured body.

Graft Prerequesite: Fortified carapace
Graft Location: Torso
Description: This graft takes reinforcement of a scorpionfolk’s natural chitin to an extreme. Its chitin has been toughened, shaped and thickened to such a degree the host is almost lost beneath layers of armoured plates. Only the most powerful opponent could hope to force a weapon through such formidable defences.
Such excessive modification comes at a cost. The scorpionfolk is almost rendered immobile due to the sheer mass of its carapace. As a result, the battlefield utility of such scorpionfolk is limited, as they cannot manoeuvre quickly enough to threaten their opponents. Instead, this graft is often applied to guardians and in particular protectors of religious sites. A temple guardian with a fortress carapace in a narrow corridor can be almost impossible to bypass.
On occasion, the guardians themselves become important parts of the temple iconography, as they rarely venture far. Their carapaces are crafted into geometric patterns, sacred items or potions are hidden in crevices between their chitinous joints and especially large scorpionfolk might even serve as living altars!
There are also tales of powerful scorpionfolk magic users altering themselves in this way, taking advantage of the protection it offers and moving themselves by magic when necessary.
Activation: All benefits and penalties of carapace armour are in constant effect.
Effects: The fortress carapace graft gives its host a further +5 AC bonus which stacks with other natural armour bonuses (including those bestowed by the fortified carapace graft). It increases the fortification ability so that critical hits and sneak attacks have a 50% chance of being ignored.
However, the graft limits the host’s movement severely. As a standard move action, it can only move 5’, and cannot take a 5’ step if engaged in a full round action. It can run or charge 10’ as a full round action. In addition, its armour check penalty increases to -6 (this does not stack with penalty from the fortified carapace graft).

Attributes: Strong transmutation, CL 15th
Creation: Requires Create Scorpionfolk Graft, Stone Shape, 9,500 GP, 760 XP, 15 days
Graft donor: Ankheg chitin
Graft sacrifice: -2 Dexterity, -2 hit points (permanent)
Cost: 19,000 GP
MalariaMoon Posted - 31 Dec 2011 : 07:17:39
Fortified Carapace

The exoskeleton of this scorpionfolk is twice as thick as normal, providing it with formidable natural armour

Graft location: Torso
Description: An unmodified scorpionfolk’s chitin is a resilient material which is as effective as turning away a blade as a chain shirt. With this graft a scorpionfolk’s natural armour is doubled in thickness, providing the equivalent protection of a knight in full plate. A scorpionfolk thus improved can wade into combat with confidence, macas and spears failing to penetrate its skin whilst it deals death to its enemies.
However, the weight of the scorpionfolk’s reinforced carapace is difficult to manage, impairing the freedom of movement of its limbs and reducing its agility. As a result, scorpionfolk bearing the graft are often complete warriors whose only role within their society is battle.
Activation: The fortified carapace graft is a constant state – its benefits and disadvantages are always active.
Effect: The fortified carapace graft grants the host a +4 natural AC bonus which stacks with any existing natural armour bonus the scorpionfolk possesses. It also gives the scorpionfolk light fortification – negating sneak attacks or critical hits 25% of time (these blows inflict normal damage).
Like true armour, a fortified carapace limits its host ability to carry out some skills, causing a -4 armour check penalty. This penalty is in addition to the graft sacrifice below.

Creation: Requires Create Scorpionfolk Graft, Stone Bones*, 9,000 GP, 720 XP, 10 days
Graft donor: Umber Hulk hide
Graft sacrifice: -2 Dexterity, -2 hit points (permanent)
Cost: 18,000 GP

*Magic of Faerun
Wolfhound75 Posted - 27 Dec 2011 : 15:52:58
Seethyr -

Almost finished fleshing out the PrC. Been a little busy over the Christmas holiday so haven't had as much time to work on it as I would have liked. Also, reworking it a bit to fit better with the lore you sent me.

Good Hunting!
MalariaMoon Posted - 26 Dec 2011 : 08:33:42
Metabolism Overdrive

This graft allows a scorpionfolk to fight and move with great speed and ferocity for a limited time.

Description: This powerful graft involves placing the heart of a tiny quickling inside that of the scorpionfolk host. The scorpionfolk can harness the speed of its graft donor to act with lightning speed for a certain amount of time before the quickling heart arrests with the stress of driving such a large body.
Scorpionfolk that go into Metabolism Overdrive can move with incredible speed and attack more rapidly than normal. During this time the scorpionfolk must be sure to defeat its enemies whilst under these effects, for when the heart arrests the scorpionfolk falls into a helpless torpor.
Scorpionfolk with this graft are used as expendable shock troops by tlincalli armies. There are in the vanguard of any attack, causing as much damage as they can whilst under the influence of the overdrive. When their hearts give out most are slain, but some survive as the rest of the scorpionfolk army advances to secure the ground they have taken.
Activation: Starting the Metabolism Overdrive is a standard action.
Effects: The Metabolism Overdrive mimics the effect of the spell haste. The effect lasts for 15+1d10 rounds, but is otherwise identical to the spell.
At the end of the overdrive’s duration, the scorpionfolk immediately falls into torpor. Whilst in a torpor, the scorpionfolk is helpless, and cannot be roused short of wish magic or a raise dead spell. The torpor lasts for at least 3d6 hours, after which the scorpionfolk can be roused on a successful Heal check (DC 10). An attempt to rouse the scorpionfolk can be made each hour. If a tenday passes without any successful attempt to rouse the scorpionfolk, it dies.

Creation: Requires Craft Scorpionfolk Graft, Haste, 5,000 GP, 470 XP, 4 days
Graft donor: A quickling’s heart
Graft sacrifice: -3 hit points (permanent)
Cost: 10,000 GP
MalariaMoon Posted - 26 Dec 2011 : 07:08:45
Luminosity

The thorax of this scorpionfolk glows with bioluminescence, illuminating the darkness around it.

Description: The chitinous plates that armour a scorpionfolk with the Luminosity graft are semi-transparent. They contain small reservoirs of electrically charged liquid, which, when agitated, glows with a soft, blue light. The host can do this at will, and maintain the effect as long as it is conscious.
The scorpionfolk can also intensify this reaction to create a brief, blinding flare of light. However, this effect exhausts the static charge within the liquid, leaving it unable to generate light for several hours afterwards.
This is a useful graft for many subterranean scorpionfolk, particularly scholars and explorers. A scorpionfolk’s darkvision is sufficient to read their own script in the pitch black of the Underdark, but sometimes some extra light is useful is deciphering unknown writings. In colonies where this graft is particularly common, guardian scorpionfolk communicate simple messages to one another by pulsing their bioluminescence on and off.
Activation: Both the light and brightflare functions of this graft can be activated as free actions.
Effects: A scorpionfolk with the luminosity graft can cause its body to glow with the same effect as a light spell at will.
In addition, the scorpionfolk can cause a brightflare effect once per day. This is an instantaneous effect which can dazzle all creatures within a 40’ radius. Creatures must succeed a DC 15 Fortitude save or be dazzled for one minute. Dazzled creatures suffer a -1 penalty to attack rolls, Spot and Search checks. After using a brightflare, a scorpionfolk cannot generate any light at all for 24 hours.
Foes striking a scorpionfolk with piercing or striking weapons whilst it is actively using its illumination are in danger of electrocuting themselves. There is a 1% chance for every point of damage inflicted by a blow that the attacker suffers 1d6 points of electricity damage.

Creation: Requires Create Scorpionfolk Graft, Light, 5,000 GP, 470 XP, 8 days
Graft donor: The juices of ten crushed cibarius
Graft sacrifice: -2 hit points (permanent)
Cost: 10,000 GP
MalariaMoon Posted - 25 Dec 2011 : 08:22:05
Santa brought four new scorpionfolk grafts - Merry Christmas all!

With a couple of days over the festive period I hope to complete my list of grafts within a week or so.
Seethyr - I finally succeeded in downloading the latest revision of the sourcebook, it's looking great! I noticed one inconsistency; the Craft Scorpionfolk Graft feat states graft creation takes a day per 1,000 GP value of the graft. With the grafts I've created, I've varied creation times at whim, largely based on how complicated the grafts appear. Feel free to alter the grafts so they align with your feat.
As for those deity symbols I drew, I'd happily have a go at representing the rest of the pantheon if you liked them. The drawing programme I used was a trial version that just expired, but I was quite happy with it and I'll probably purchase it. I'll keep you posted.

Wolfhound - I'd be interested to see how the Venom Vintner develops.

Finally, I came across another scorpion-based monster, the chekryan, which can be found in the Sandstorm supplement (in fact it's also on the front cover). I guess there'd be a few in the deserts of Maztica.

MalariaMoon Posted - 25 Dec 2011 : 07:54:15
Poisonous Feelers

The whip feelers of this scorpionfolk drip with venom!

Graft Prerequisite: Whip Feelers
Graft Torso: Torso
Description: The whip feelers of this scorpionfolk are hollow, containing a narrow channel through which poison flows. The tips are pierced, allowing the poison to exit and flow over the chitin of the whip feelers. Although this venom has the same basic nature as that contained within its host’s stinging tail, it is virulent enough that it can be transferred to a victim through mere contact.
However, the graft does not bestow the host with any extra reserves of poison, meaning that it is spread thinly across both whip feelers and the sting. As a result, it is little easier for victims to resist its effects.
Activation: Poison can be transferred with a successful touch attack.
Effects: Opponents struck by Poisonous Feelers must make a successful Fortitude Save or be poisoned as if struck by the scorpionfolk’s tail stinger. However, the toxicity of the poison is slightly reduced; those struck gain a +2 circumstance bonus to their saves. The same rules apply to attacks by the tail stinger.

Creation: Requires Create Scorpionfolk Graft, Poison, 2,000 GP, 160 XP, 3 days
Graft donor: The tentacle of a carrion crawler
Graft sacrifice: -1 hit point (permanent) and weaker poison as explained above.
Cost: 4,000 GP
MalariaMoon Posted - 25 Dec 2011 : 07:50:29
Prehensile Feelers

These whip feelers lack the typical chitinous rigidity. They are surprisingly mobile, having enough flexibility to curl about and grip small objects.

Description: Some whip feelers are developed into weapons, others into sensory organs, but the Prehensile Feelers graft comes close to granting its host another set of functioning hands.
Prehensile Feelers can be used to hold small weapons, items and wands. Although they lack the strength to constrict a foe, they are nimble enough to entangle opponents – tripping them up and wresting weapons from their grasp.
Some magic-using scorpionfolk have such mastery over these grafts they can even use them to form the somatic components of magic spells, allowing them to keep their hands free to grip weapons or other items whilst using magic.
Activation: No activation is needed to use Prehensile Feelers – they’re constantly active. Trip and disarm attempts can be made as per the standard rules.
Effects: Prehensile Feelers can be used to grasp wands, light weapons and items of less than 4 lbs of weight. They lack any manipulative digits and can only grasp things they can coil around – the DM may chose to rule that certain objects cannot be grasped. If the feelers are holding a weapon, they can attack clumsily, with a -2 penalty to attack rolls. This penalty is ignored if the scorpionfolk in question has the Weapon Finesse feat.
Prehensile feelers can also be used to make Trip and Disarm attempts with +2 bonus to opposed rolls.
A scorpionfolk with the Whipform Caster feat can also use the Prehensile Feelers to cast spells (see the Feats chapter in this book).

Creation: Requires Create Scorpionfolk Graft, Greater Mage Hand*, 3,000 GP, 240 XP, 4 days
Graft donor: A tentacle from a roper
Graft sacrifice: -2 hit points (permanent)
Cost: 6,000 GP

*Spell Compendium

New Feat: Whipform Caster

You can use your prehensile feelers graft to form the somatic components of spells

Prerequisities: Prehensile Feeler scorpionfolk graft
Benefit: When casting spells with somatic components, your whip feelers form the required arcane gestures to create spell, leaving your hands free to hold weapons or other items. As a result, you do not risk an attack of opportunity when casting spells in melee combat.
MalariaMoon Posted - 25 Dec 2011 : 07:44:40
Many-Eyed Whips

A half-dozen blank, black compound eyes are scattered randomly along the last foot or so of this scorpionfolk’s whip feelers. Despite their dull sheen, it is clear they are functioning optical organs for the scorpionfolk is constantly moving them to investigate areas and angles it wouldn’t normally be able to see.

Description: Although, the optical sensors clustered around the ends of the whip feelers are not as sophisticated as true eyes, they are nonetheless useful tools. They cannot distinguish colour or analyze fine details, but they vastly improve their host’s spatial awareness. This capability is particularly effective in battle, making it easier to keep track of enemies and coordinate multiple attacks with different limbs.
Eyed feelers are a new innovation in the arcane science of chitincrafting, and they are not without their flaws. On occasion, the multiplied sensory input overwhelms the scorpionfolk’s unmodified brain, creating a momentary blackout. For a few vulnerable moments, all the scorpionfolk’s eyes (both natural and grafted) cease to work.
Activation: The benefits of Eyed Feelers are considered to be in continuous effect. The host requires no circumstance or trigger in order to use them.
Effects: A scorpionfolk with Eyed Feelers gains a +4 bonus to Spot and Search checks. The latter bonus stacks with the +2 bonus granted by the prerequisite Whip Feelers graft.
Furthermore, the Eyed Feelers also assist the scorpionfolk if it is making more than one attack in a single round; lessening the attack roll penalty for secondary attacks by 1 point (the primary attack is unaffected).
Finally, the scorpionfolk gains the All-Around Vision ability (like that enjoyed by a beholder). It cannot be flanked.

Attributes: Strong Transmutation, CL 15th
Construction: Create Scorpionfolk Graft, Clauradience/Clairvoyance, 2,225 GP, 180 XP, 5 days
Graft donor: The eyes of a tojanida
Graft sacrifice: -1 hit point (permanent). If the scorpionfolk finds itself in melee combat with two or more combatants in any given round, it risks temporary blindness. There is a cumulative 2% chance of blindness per foe in melee combat with the scorpionfolk at the start of any given round – blindness lasts for one round. Enterprising PCs may devise ways of blinding a scorpionfolk by creating conditions where it is overloaded with optical information, DMs should reward such creativity.
Cost: 4,500 GP
MalariaMoon Posted - 25 Dec 2011 : 07:40:35
Slashing Feelers

This scorpionfolk has a pair of whip feelers that audibly slice through the air with each rapid twitch. The feelers are flattened into razor-sharp ridges of chitin.

Graft Prerequesite: Whip Feelers
Description: One of the simplest improvements to the whip feelers graft is honing the feelers into formidable reaching blades. With sufficient training, the owner of a pair of slashing feelers can turn them into deadly, lightning-quick weapons.
Scorpionfolk with this graft often take great pride in their martial prowess, demonstrating skills akin to those of an accomplished duellist in the Realms. Some are so secure in their abilities that they abstain from using their stings in battle, utterly confident in the capacity to defeat their foes with slashing feelers alone. Others abandon conventional weapons, attacking with the feelers and wielding a shield in each hand.
Some suggest this tendency does not solely stem from the ego, but from some unforeseen side effect of the grafting process.
Activation: Slashing feelers are considered natural weapons, and are usually considered the default standard attack of a scorpionfolk that possesses them.
Effects: A scorpionfolk with this graft has two slashing feelers, which each inflict 1d8 points of damage of a successful strike, and have a critical threat range of 19-20. The scorpionfolk can attack using both of feelers (and any other weapons and natural attacks it possesses) when making a full attack.
Slashing feelers are considered light weapons and gain the benefits of the Weapon Finesse feat. Many scorpionfolk also take the Weapon Focus and Specialization feats to further heighten their combat capabilities with the feelers, or the Multiattack feat to ensure the feelers can be used effectively with their other attacks.

Construction: Requires Create Scorpionfolk graft, Inflict Moderate Wounds, 2,000 GP, 160 XP, 2 days
Graft donor: Two legs from a Sword Spider
Graft sacrifice: -1 Wisdom
Cost: 4,000 GP
Seethyr Posted - 19 Dec 2011 : 23:09:52
I really wanted to maintain the synergy of the background we've been developing so I tried to include a room in the adventure that gives a nod to your "extinct" charininti race...

Little Zionyn

This chamber is strewn with gore and the innards of countless creatures. In their own chaotic and disturbingly evil way, the ekolid inhabitants actually consider what they have done here to be a form of art. Intestines and other stringy bits of gore have been woven in such a manner to resemble a grand spider web. From this web, the ekolid emerge.

Ekolid (6) [See Fiendish Codex I: Hordes of the Abyss]

There is no treasure in the chamber, but the players can easily stumble upon a strange corpse that may forever alter scorpionfolk history. The body is of a scorpionfolk that the PCs surely do not recognize. The large sized creature has no tail stinger but instead has long whip-like appendages akin to the feelers of certain cave moths. The creature is also pitch black so it stands out among the colorful gore of the chamber (Search DC 5).

The corpse is in fact the body of a recently dead charininti, a race long thought to be wiped out by their original patron Ek-chua. This bit of evidence proves that they still exist, possibly on Zionyn itself. Their existence, and the fact that they may very well be fully under sway of Obox-ob would be very valuable information to a diviner of Ek-chua.
Seethyr Posted - 15 Dec 2011 : 01:26:50
I'm loving how this is all coming out and the last few ideas should certainly be worked in.

Everything but the scorpionfolk errrr...anatomy lesson!

I just reread through all the posts in this thread, the intial draft and some other notes I had and tried to come up with an overall Table of Contents/Outline for what the final netbook will look like, including pretty much every idea. At the end, I put in a few that could potentially fit into any (a PrC, an item, a feat).

I have bolded items that have yet to be written, and of course please feel free to add!

Claw and Sting: The Scorpionfolk of Maztica

1. Overview

a. Naming Convention: Manscorpion vs. Scorpionfolk?
b. Scorpionfolk Culture
c. Historical Timeline of Scorpionfolk in Maztica

2. Gods and Religion

a. Axipotl the Venomlord
b. Corantllil the Unceasing
c. Ek-Chua the Black Merchant
d. Huoxopica the Scorpionlord
e. Ixtilli the Nest Mother
f. Malinalxochitl the Seductress
g. Nantzintli Coloti (Glau) the Huntress in Darkness
h. Pachutalixi the Feathered Scorpion
i. Vulkoon the Emperor Scorpion
j. Demon Lord: Obox-ob
k. Abyssal Layer 663: Zionyn
l. New Vestige: Rr’ikin’aka
m. The Legend of Chikata
n. Sacrifice (Favored and Preferred)

3. The Subraces

a. Tlincalli
b. Palophonti
c. Imperatonti
d. Opistacanthi
e. The Obyrith-Touched
f. Charininti (Extinct)

4. New Monsters

a. Chitin Golem
b. Cibarius Swarm
c. Crystal Scorpion
d. Feathered Scorpion
e. Hurachnid
f. Obyrith-Touched (Template)
g. Sciorah
h. Scorilla

5. New Spells

a. Adamantine Claws
b. Alter Venom
c. Curtain of Stingers
d. Poison Arrow
e. Read Pattern

6. New Magic Items

a. Waterskimmer
b. Tail-Band of Altered Venom
c. Tail-Band of Impact
d. Tail-Band of Swift Striking
e. Tail-Band of Virulence
f. Graft: Barbed Impaler
g. Graft: Burrowing Claws
h. Graft: Colossus Claw
i. Graft: Manticore Stinger
j. Graft: Maroonmusk Gland
k. Graft: Pincer Claws
l. Graft: Spitting Stinger
m. Graft: Triclaw
n. Graft: Webhurler
o. Graft: Whip Feelers
p. Graft: Poisonous Feelers
q. Graft: Eyed Feelers
r. Graft: Slashing Feelers
s. Graft: Prehensile Feelers
t. Graft: Luminosity
u. Graft: Metabolism Overdrive
v. Graft: Fortified Carapace
w. Graft: Superheavy Carapace

7. New Feats

a. Craft Scorpionfolk Graft [Scorpionfolk]
b. Disease Carrier [Scorpionfolk]
c. Purified Couatl Venom Sting [Exalted, Scorpionfolk]
d. Venom to Ravage [Exalted, Scorpionfolk]
e. Nest Mother [Scorpionfolk]

8. Locations in the Maztican Underdark

a. T’lincal (1,500 pop city of Tlincalli)
b. The Chittering (An unknown abyss)
c. The Fireworms (Lava tubes under Nexal)
d. Vulkholme (primary city of Imperatonti)
e. The Tree-Nest (Gigantic hallowed out tree hive for the opistacanthi)
f. The Serpent Skirt (The hollowed out body of a dead or semi-living goddess, complete with organs a-la Nightmare Keep) Goddess is Coatlique, progenitor of the similarly named Koatlique.
g. Touchstone Sites

9. Prestige Classes

a. Chitincrafter
b. Master of Patterns
c. Venom Vintner of Axipotl

10. Scorpionfolk Characters

11. Den of Scorpions Adventure

Acid Tail Weapon ?
Firebreath Tail Weapon ?

Bolthole Magic Master ?

Wolfhound75 Posted - 12 Dec 2011 : 18:12:18
quote:
Originally posted by MalariaMoon
RE an earlier post – I’ve been pondering some possible prestige classes and had a couple of ideas
- An obese scorpionfolk, with a bloated exoskeleton that barely contains vast reservoirs of different poison that slosh about inside its body. This scorpionfolk experiments alchemically distilling different kinds of venoms, even inventing new variants. It consumes the poisons it creates, storing them in internal body sacks, and sells them to others of its kind – injecting the venom directly into its customers’ tail with its own stinger. Could be a prestige class, or maybe even a new creature.

I'd vote for a prestige class rather than a new creature. Doing a little work and realizing there is still a significant amount left to finish, here is what I've come up with so far:

T'lincalli Venom Vintner

Prerequisite: x-ranks of Alchemy and/or Craft Poison which runs with MM's idea of distilling and inventing new venom variants. Perhaps we can brainstorm a way to tie those skills and select grafts together in a better way to create the PrC.

Graft Prerequisite: The one that comes easily to mind was the tail stinger mod with the three different types of poison but, I'm sure there are others I'm forgetting in this quick response.

PrC Lore: Borrowing some license from classic literature, T'lincalli desiring to become a Venom Vintner must create and imbibe a concoction similar to the idea of the secret forumla, drawn from Dr. Jeckyll and Mr. Hyde, to affect the change to their body. Knowledge of this formula, known only to other Venom Vintners and the gods, is bestowed after a complex ritual which involves ingesting several different types of T'lincalli sacred poisons (initial thoughts were the sacred ritual sacrifice poisons) and praying that their gods bestow upon them the knowledge of the formula. Those found unpure in the god's vision will be slayed by the concotion of ingested poisons. Those who find the favor of the gods will be granted the knowledge of the formula and allowed to attempt to craft the concoction to become a Venom Vintner (Anyone seeing a Brew Potioncheck?). Additional Note/Idea: A T'lincalli Venom Vintner is required to concoct the favored and preferred sacrifice poisons mentioned in earlier posts - which makes this class useful to the religion as a whole and not akin to a mad scientist brewing crazy new concotions in a secret lab.

I drew the idea for the name from the idea of the chief wine maker (vintner) at a vineyard. MM's description of the way he envisions the individual having large storage vats drew the impression of winery's cellar with casks of fine vintages lining the walls. Also, it drew impressions of the way wine makers combine various elements to create new vintages or enhance older ones so, I thought it might work well, especially with the alliteration in the name.

As always, additional thoughts, ideas, and discussion welcome.

Good Hunting!

Edit: Add color/Font Sizing
MalariaMoon Posted - 11 Dec 2011 : 15:31:22
It’s good to know that my lore inputs have some synergy, I’ve been keen to add bits whilst not wanting to hurl anything in which didn’t fit (which might still happen by accident!). Like you, I used the Latin name of a subfamily (Charindinae) of whip scorpions and then played around with it until it didn’t seem too immediately derivative. I also took note of the ‘i’ suffix common to the other scorpionfolk subraces. Latin names are often a good inspiration for names, in particular I tend to use them for familiars, but I always try and change them around a little rather than lift them directly from Latin.

Go ahead with the tail-band item – I think I’ll leave the vinegaroon parallels with the maroonmusk graft to avoid unbalancing the graft rooster in their favour. The halls of Candlekeep might blanch at the thought of scorpionfolk sex (then again, probably not considering some of the threads I’ve seen over the last few months), but the mating habits of true scorpions are quite interesting. Like arachnids and mantises, it can be a tricky business if the female is hungry or not in the mood. The male locks claws with the female and they engage in a kind of shoving match. The male drops a packet of sperm on the ground and basically tries to forcibly manoeuvre the female over it to fertilize her. The claw wrestling is to push her into the correct position, and to keep her far enough at bay that she won’t try to sting him.

RE an earlier post – I’ve been pondering some possible prestige classes and had a couple of ideas
- Some kind of Bolthole Magic Master?
- An obese scorpionfolk, with a bloated exoskeleton that barely contains vast reservoirs of different poison that slosh about inside its body. This scorpionfolk experiments alchemically distilling different kinds of venoms, even inventing new variants. It consumes the poisons it creates, storing them in internal body sacks, and sells them to others of its kind – injecting the venom directly into its customers’ tail with its own stinger. Could be a prestige class, or maybe even a new creature.

I leave with a final icky scorpion fact – their anuses are located on the end of their tails, just above the bard of their stinger.
Seethyr Posted - 09 Dec 2011 : 22:35:58
-On the Whip Feelers:

I love the lore. An entire extinct subspecies of scorpionfolk who were beholden to Obox-ob couldn't be better right now as I need a few ideas for the adventure. Great!

How did you come up with the race's name by the way? Not that it matters, I'm just curious. I've been naming the others based off of the latin names of species of scorpions that I had in mind while creating them. For example, the Imperatonti and the Opistacanthi.

I also really appreciate how you are working within (and expanding on) the homebrew lore that has already been written.

-On the Maroonmusk glands.

I think you went in the best direction with these. Like you said, thank you Wolfhound for the suggestion. Scorpionfolk sex totally creeps me out, but I'm glad you worked it into Malinalxochitl's lore. Love it or hate it, she is the scorpionfolk's Sharess!

Are you going to make a graft based off of WH's Melf's Acid Arrow suggestion? If not, I am going to make a "tail-band" magic item that has a similar ability.

MalariaMoon Posted - 09 Dec 2011 : 16:42:42
Some more scorpionfolk grafts for your consideration. There’ll be more whip feeler grafts upcoming (slashing feelers, eye whips and prehensile feelers). Again, I’ve thrown in a lot of lore – if there’s anything which contradicts what you’ve established feel free to alter it. I’ve also done a take on the vinegaroon (thanks for your suggestions Wolfhound) with added scorpion sex!
MalariaMoon Posted - 09 Dec 2011 : 16:25:12
Maroonmusk Glands

This scorpionfolk has a handful of oozing blisters erupting through the chitin of its thorax. Each blister is the size of a man’s head, and a faint, maroon coloured gas leaks from its centre.

Description: Whip feelers make unlikely but effective natural fans if they disturb the air with enough vigour. This ability has led to one of the most peculiar scorpionfolk grafts – maroonmusk glands.
The blisters bursting through the scorpionfolk’s thorax are swollen with a potent musk which is utterly repellent to almost all creatures with olfactory organs. The musk escapes constantly in small spurts and whisps of tiny droplets which float in the air. A few times a day a scorpionfolk can expel a large cloud of this maroonmusk. By vigorous but precise flailing of its whip feelers, it can direct the horrid cloud to envelop a group of enemies.
Bizarrely, the foul-smelling maroonmusk is actually highly arousing to scorpionfolk. Those possessing maroonmusk glands are often busiest in peacetime, discretely fanning clouds of aphrodisiac at rutting scorpionfolk lords. For this reason, a great many scorpionfolk with this graft belong to the church of Malinalxochitl, where they are hired out to other tlincalli seeking to mate.
Scorpionfolk with maroonmusk glands are not excited by their own perfumes – in fact the graft renders them infertile. It is one of the most physically taxing grafts to possess, and often ruins the health of its host.
Activation: Unleashing a cloud of maroonmusk is considered a full round action.
Effect: The maroonmusk glands allow a scorpionfolk to create an effect akin to a stinking cloud spell 4/day. This is considered an extraordinary spell-like effect. The scorpionfolk’s whip feelers cannot propel the gas very far; the stinking cloud has a range of 30’. It is otherwise identical to the spell as if cast by a caster of 10th level.
Wind can seriously disrupt the efficacy of a maroonmusk cloud. They are useless with a wind force of moderate or stronger. If the wind force is only light, the stinking cloud can still be created, but the cloud is centred on the scorpionfolk (a spell range of 0) and the duration is halved. Of course, weather is rarely a concern in the tunnels the scorpionfolk inhabit.

Attributes: Strong transmutation, faint conjuration, CL 10th
Construction: Requires Create Scorpionfolk Graft, Stinking Cloud, 4,500 GP, 360 XP, 10 days
Graft Donor: Ichor from a dretch
Graft Sacrifice: -4 Constitution
Cost: 9, 000 GP

MalariaMoon Posted - 09 Dec 2011 : 16:10:26
Whip Feelers

This scorpionfolk boasts a pair of jointed, chitinous feelers. Incredibly long, the feelers whip around constantly like antennae.

Description: The charininti are a subrace of scorpionfolk five centuries extinct from the lands of Maztica. They were created by the god Ek-Chua as servants to the tlincalli, a specialised race of bureaucrats charged with endlessly cataloguing the treasuries of their lords. To better equip them in their inventories, and to ensure their remained servile to their masters, the charininti had no tail stingers. Instead, Ek-Chua gave them long whip-like feelers attached either in pairs beside their legs or in a bundle four, five or six sprouting from the base of their thorax. The feelers darted this way and that, counting and counting the wealth of the tlincalli.
Over many, many years, Ek-Chua’s interest in mercantile pursuits waned in favour of warfare, and his interest in the charininti also dwindled. Neglected by their god, the charininti fell under the sway of Obox-Ob. With his encouragement, the charininti began to quietly hide away significant measures of their masters’ riches. However, their deceit was discovered, and Ek-Chua was outraged. The auguries of the tlincalli diviners were unanimous in their message: annihilate the charininti. The genocide was immediate and total.
Despite the charininti’s betrayal, their legacy remains with the scorpionfolk in the form of whip feeler grafts. The variety and usefulness of these appendages overcome any negative associations they might carry – in fact the Temples of Ek-Chua still contain great storerooms stacked with desiccated, severed charininti feelers. These are the required donors for the graft’s creation, and the faithful of the Black Merchant profit from their sale.
Basic whip feelers in themselves are of limited value, but they are a prerequisite for a number of more advanced and useful grafts.
Scorpionfolk with this graft are often considered sneaky and weak by others of their kind. Perhaps they remember the charininti’s betrayal, or perhaps it is because the addition of yet another set of limbs to the scorpionfolk’s multi-legged torso does somewhat sap the host creature’s strength.
Activation: Whip Feelers can be used to make a normal touch attack.
Effects: Whip feelers have a tremendous reach of 15’. They can be used to deliver touch attacks and as a result are a popular graft amongst spellcasting scorpionfolk. Although too stiff to grasp or carry anything, they can be used to trigger traps from a distance, or to feel around in dark, inaccessible crevices. A scorpionfolk with this graft gains a +2 bonus to Search checks.

Construction: Requires Create Scorpionfolk Graft, Giant Vermin, 1,750 GP, 100 XP, 3 days
Graft Donor: Desiccated feeler from a charininti.
Graft Sacrifice: -1 Strength
Cost: 2,500 GP
WHIP FEELERS AND THE PALOPHONTI: The sea-dwelling palophonti already have a whip-like appendage in place of their stinger which they use to infect their enemies with a disease known as the slimy doom. Theoretically, a whip feeler graft could replace a palophonti’s tail, but they are loathe to sacrifice their slimy doom attack. The few palophonti that use the whip feelers graft them directly to their torso.
Seethyr Posted - 07 Dec 2011 : 22:04:48
I'm going to defer to you guys on that particular graft but I will say either or both will be great. I can't wait to see how they work out!

I finally found the Utalan mangrove and you were right it is south of Far Payit.

As far as the adventure goes, I edited the DMs Background a bit to fix its awkward grammar and I have also created a map and begun detailing rooms. Here is the Players background as well. Its a bit vanilla (the whole caravan guard thing) but it gets PCs into the action pretty quickly.

Den of Scorpions Map

Player’s Background:

Cordell knows quite well that Maztica is a dangerous land but losing two supply caravans in one tenday cannot be a coincidence. Something or someone has caused the disappearance of a fortune in goods that were on their way to the Golden Legion’s Kultakan allies.

With little to spare in the way of manpower, Cordell looks to outside help and is offering 1,000 gp in Amnian gold for good information, or 10,000 gp for an actual solution to the problem. This is a difficult offer for any adventurer, native or foreign, to refuse.

If the PCs don’t come up with a viable plan of their own, and are at a loss for a ways to investigate the disappearances, Cordell suggests they spend a brief period as caravan guards. One is due in Helmsport within the next tenday, and by the time the PCs reach it (if they leave immediately, Cordell warns), it should be arriving at the point where the last two caravans disappeared. Cordell gives them a letter of introduction for the caravan master, who he claims is an aspiring eagle knight known as Tapochitl.

Also, any thoughts on PrCs? All I could think of is the Chitincrafter MM mentioned and some type of diviner that has a knack for reading patterns in the world around him or her. I can't even think of a name for it yet. Master of Mosaics? Pattern Reader? I'd like to work with that concept because their existence plays right into the canon material from the Oaxaptupa description.
Wolfhound75 Posted - 07 Dec 2011 : 18:51:35
quote:
Originally posted by Seethyr
Check out the mention of its "vinegar-smelling spray" as well. There is potential in that!

Science geek time!

It occurs to me that poison may not be the right 'element' for the graft because vinegar IRL is a weak acid.

Brainstorming for ways to make it an acid attack, I came up with the following:
1. Effect similar to Melf's Acid Arrow in use, meaning some sort of damage-over-time.
2. Possibly creates a Sunder-like effect - degrades AC due to softening of metals/hides - which wears off after x-rounds (initial thought 1d4 rounds). I envision use of this being an attack-from-ambush to, quite literally, 'soften up' the target while he closes into range.
3. Possible acid grenade-type effect. Target takes x-damage, adjacent squares take 1/2(x) damage.

Drawing on the '...smelling spray' idea:
1. Effects similar to Stinking Cloud spell on target (edit: target area).
2. Target Sickened 1d4 rounds
3. Confirmed Critical: Target Nauseated

Thanks to all for sharing the great ideas! I greatly appreciate this discussion as I was planning on including scorpion-folk races in the campaign I'm building. Obviously I have some refinement to do on these ideas, saves, DCs, etc. but that is what discussion is for. I can only do so much from work...

Good Hunting!
Wolfhound
MalariaMoon Posted - 07 Dec 2011 : 13:20:49
The adventure set-up looks great. Suitably epic but also suitably accessible for different adventuring parties.

I don't have any lore on the Utalan Mangrove. The inspiration for the Colossus Claw came from fiddler crabs, which live in mangroves. I wanted to tie them to an existing Maztican location, so I found the poster map and searched around until I found a suitable looking march. The Utalan marsh presented itself - somewhere below Payit if memory serves.

I'm familiar with the vinegaroon - this is one of the true whip scorpions, whereas the one that I showed you a called tailless in order to distinguish them. I'm duly inspired, I'll include some kind of poison gas graft to the the whip feeler roster.
Seethyr Posted - 06 Dec 2011 : 07:33:36
quote:

I too enjoy the lore more, so I’ve tried to pad the crunch with some good fluff. I hope it doesn’t contradict anything you’ve already written.

The lore is definitely so much more fun to write. I dread the stat part.

Speaking of lore, do you have more info on this Utalan Mangrove you mentioned? Sounds interesting!
quote:
Next on my hit list are grafts based on the whip-scorpion feeler.

I know you spent a lot of time with some nasty little critters in Peru, but have you seen these things??? Nasty buggers, but maybe this image could help inspire you a bit for the next set of grafts. Check out the mention of its "vinegar-smelling spray" as well. There is potential in that!
Seethyr Posted - 04 Dec 2011 : 01:44:02
That is some bad@$$ stuff man. I'm in love with the Colossus Claw in particular and I'm thinking of dropping my current character to play an imperatonti plumaweaver of Pachutaloxi soon. I'd love to give him one of those!

I have made a little progress with the adventure "Den of Scorpions." Here is the DMs background and I am wondering what you think. Its unedited so be merciful on the grammar lol.

“When Trikata’ten foresaw the coming of the Amnians decades ago she despaired. She cared not for the welfare of the upperworld, but rather that her god would not smite the intruders. Huoxopica had grown complacent and it was time she sought out a new, more powerful patron.”

DM’s Background:

Though they have no love, nor even sympathy for the realms of man, Cordell’s invasion of the aboveground nations left many scorpionfolk furious and seething for revenge. Diviners cried out to their gods and begged for guidance. Huoxopica, however, had long foreseen the coming of the Amnians. Ages ago he divined the coming of the Golden Legion to the day and when they arrived, he sought council among his pantheon.

The warlike gods Ek-Chua and Vulkoon were the most verbal in destroying the intruders. Like the mortal scorpionfolk of the present day, they saw the plundering of the surface world as an affront to all scorpionfolk. Vulkoon was concerned that the new breed of mankind might actually be a threat to scorpionfolk, but he wisely kept his opinion to himself. Pachutalixi and Axipotl, typically bitter rivals in all things, oddly agreed on leaving the interlopers be. Pachutalixi never sought senseless violence and Axipotl knew that as a surface race, his devoted opistacanthi would suffer the most losses should it come to war. Malinalxochitl, Ixtilli and Corantllil had little to say either way, but if it came to a vote, the seductress remarked that she would choose the route that brought to her the greatest amount of sacrifices. On the other hand Corantllil, in deference to his ally Pachutalixi, would have voted against war. Ixtilli is the only deity other than Huoxopica himself that would truly have abstained. In her eyes, taking any one side would make her equal to the other gods and therefore subservient to her husband.

With a deadlocked vote, Huoxopica’s decision would come to rely on the one remaining deity, Nantzintli Coloti. This was a fortunate circumstance because of the entire pantheon; she had the greatest knowledge of the foreigners and her views could indeed be considered the wisest. Only she, in her guise as Glau, had interacted with the foreigners and their gods and knew what they were capable of.

Glau had in fact suspected even before Huoxopica’s divination that there would come a time when the True World and the faraway land of Faerun would come to conflict.

Ek-chua claimed that Glau was a coward, but she had made her decision. The scorpionfolk would not interfere. Survival was not cowardice, and there were more subtle ways to make the newcomers suffer.

As they were ever-trusting of their deities, the vast majority of scorpionfolk abided by the decision of their gods. Followers of the dreaded obyrith lord Obox-ob, however, had other plans. Huoxopica has always had a blind spot in his otherwise flawless vision when it comes to the machinations of this once great lord of vermin. It could be willful ignorance or a remnant of Obox-ob’s once vast power, but Huoxopica was incapable of divining the betrayal. Scorpionfolk who follow the demon refused to obey Huoxopica’s decree. In fact, the decision was so enraging to them that many turned their backs on the scorpionfolk pantheon forever.

When the legionnaires completed their conquest of the True World, the tlincalli sank even deeper into the worship of their demonic patron. Though they had existed for decades, the malformed and madness inducing scorpionfolk known as the obyrith-touched grew in prominence. Obox-ob gave his faithful servants a ritual to transport over one-thousand manscorpions to Amn and found the underground realm of Oaxaptupa. Few know however that those faithful left behind have been planning their own act of revenge to make the remaining humans pay for their transgression.

Obox-ob has given this small sect of tlincalli yet another gift to help accomplish this dark vengeance. A powerful tlincalli diviner known as Trikata’ten was formerly devoted to Huoxopica. His “betrayal” led her to despise the deity and turn to the obyrith lord. She dreamed a ritual, sent by Obox-ob, which would open a gate directly into the realm of Zionyn on the 663rd level of the Abyss. From this gate thousands of the insectoid obyrith known as ekolid will pour forth and rein destruction upon the men of Helmsport.

What the diviner does not know is that the ekolid will destroy more than just Helmsport. The ekolid will swarm over all the True World, whether it includes the men of Amn, native Mazticans or even the manscorpions themselves! Obox-ob is an ancient evil and cares little for his mortal worshipers.

If Trikata’ten’s ritual is not stopped, the entirety of the True World could be in danger.
MalariaMoon Posted - 03 Dec 2011 : 16:35:38
A whole new raft of grafts Seethyr. I’ve also added some extra lore to the barbed impaler graft and changed the spell used in its construction. Being lazy, I’ve not used the numerous useful sources your thread pointed me too and instead made rough comparisons with similar canon grafts. Feel free to adjust matters if my prices seem off.

I too enjoy the lore more, so I’ve tried to pad the crunch with some good fluff. I hope it doesn’t contradict anything you’ve already written.

Next on my hit list are grafts based on the whip-scorpion feeler.
MalariaMoon Posted - 03 Dec 2011 : 16:23:19
Burrowing Claws

The tines of the scorpionfolk’s pincer claws are fused together, transforming a pair of dangerous natural weapons into an excellent pair of chitinous spades.

Graft Prerequisite: Pincer Claws
Graft location: Both pincer claws
Description: This graft sacrifices the combat utility of the pincer claws graft for a formidable burrowing ability. The majority of the scorpionfolk are subterranean, and although they often inhabit the abandoned ruins of other races they are themselves an industrious people. Scorpionfolk with burrowing claws are often great engineers, and at the vanguard of the tlincalli’s efforts to shape their physical environment. At the direction of their diviners, they demolish and dig, creating the sacred geometry so representative of a scorpionfolk settlement. They also carve out tiered sequences of tunnels that allow the scorpionfolk to take the best advantage of their bolthole magic.
Activation: Burrowing claws are used as a part of a move action.
Effect: A scorpionfolk with burrowing claws gains a 20’ burrow speed. It can still use its burrowing claws as weapons, but they cannot be used to make a grapple attack and only inflict 1d6 damage.

Construction: Requires Create Scorpionfolk Graft, Burrow*, 3,000 GP, 240 XP, 5 days
Graft Donor: Delver slime (to meld the pincers into a spade like limb)
Graft Sacrifice: 2 hit points (permanent)
Cost: 6,000 GP

* Spell Compendium
MalariaMoon Posted - 03 Dec 2011 : 16:18:10
Colossus Claw

One of the grafted pincers is of massive size, some three times larger than its matching claw.

Graft prerequisite: Pincer Claws
Graft location: One pincer claw
Description: One of the most extreme of the scorpionfolk’s grafts is the colossus claw. Perhaps inspired by the extreme asymmetry of the tiny fiddler crabs that inhabit the mangroves of Utalan, one pincer claw is vastly bigger than the other. The colossus claw is a devastating weapon, causing great damage in melee and it is even strong enough to tear down buildings. It can also be used as a shield, its size and hardness ideal for blocking the blows of its enemies.
Although most popular amongst the imperatonti, the cost and skill needed to create a colossus claw means it is not a common graft. Those scorpionfolk that carry it are often revered by their communities, and in fact their attitude can sometimes be quite contradictory, for whilst these scorpionfolk are formidable weapons they are also expensive to replace if slain.
Colossus claws are usually decorated with paints or designs carved directly into the chitin. The workmanship that goes into these designs is often beautiful and quite at odds with gruesome task the claw serves. Common motifs are the symbols of the deities the scorpionfolk holds fealty too, the arms of the city it calls home or figures intended to instil fear in its foes.
The sheer size of the colossus claw graft radically unbalances its bearer. As such, despite its power its attacks are quite clumsy. Furthermore, the grafting is lengthy, torturous and draining for the host. A scorpionfolk can only ever possess a single colossus claw.
Activation: The colossus claw is considered a normal natural weapon. Its armour class bonus is considered equivalent to a shield and the bonus does not apply against touch attacks or if the scorpionfolk is flatfooted.
Effect: The colossus claw is treated just as a pincer claw graft except for the following differences. It is considered to have a Strength score equal to its scorpionfolk host +10. The subsequent bonuses apply to only to attack rolls, damage and grapple checks using the colossus claw, all other attacks use the scorpionfolk’s base strength. The claw’s base damage is 3d8 whether as a standard or crush attack, and it can grapple creatures up to one size category larger than the scorpionfolk.
The colossus claw also provides a +3 shield bonus to AC but incurs a -2 armour check penalty.

Construction: Requires Create Scorpionfolk Graft, Bigby’s Crushing Fist (known as Axipotl’s Crushing Claw amongst the scorpionfolk), 8,500 GP, 680 XP, 20 days
Graft donor: The claw of a Monstrous Scorpion of huge size.
Graft sacrifice: -2 penalty to all attack rolls, 6 hit points (permanent)
Cost: 17,000 GP
MalariaMoon Posted - 03 Dec 2011 : 16:12:15
Tri-Claw

One of the scorpionfolk’s grafted pincers had not two but three interlocking tines.

Graft prerequisite: Pincer Claws
Graft location: One pincer claw
Description: A pincer claw graft can be upgraded with the addition of an extra tine. The three tines lock together when snapped shut, making the claw a more effective grappling tool.
This modification is one of the least taxing to a scorpionfolk’s physiology, as it only involves reworking the chitin of the pincer claw and some minor rerouting of tendons and nerve endings. The graft can be taken twice if the scorpionfolk wishes to possess a pair of tri-claws.
Activation: The tri-claw is considered a normal natural weapon.
Effect: A tri-claw does 1d10 points of damage with a normal attack or a crush attack. It is especially effective at grappling; all grapple attempts and opposed checks are made with a +2 bonus. In all other respects, follow the rules for the pincer claws graft above.

Attributes: Moderate transmutation, CL 10th
Construction: Requires Create Scorpionfolk Graft, Greater Magic Fang, 1,500 GP, 120 XP, 5 days
Graft donor: The claw of Monstrous Scorpion of large size.
Graft sacrifice: 2 hit points (permanent)
Price: 3,000 GP
MalariaMoon Posted - 03 Dec 2011 : 16:08:00
Pincer Claws

The scorpionfolk’s foremost pair of legs have been removed and replaced with two heavy pincers resembling the foremost limbs of standard scorpions.

Graft location: Foremost walking legs
Description: Most strains of scorpionfolk have lost the pincers of their forebears in favour of manipulative claws which allow them to grasp weapons and tools, or to perform the dextrous somatic gestures of spellcasting. However, despite their crudeness, pincer claws make formidable natural weapons. It is no surprise that the earliest experiments by the scorpionfolk in reshaping their own bodies resulted in these grafts, and they remain the most common grafts seen amongst the tlincalli.
Although on rare occasions scorpionfolk opt to sacrifice their manipulative claws in favour of pincers, the majority graft them in place of the foremost pair of their eight walking legs. Obviously, scorpionfolk with this graft move slightly slower than their nestmates.
Activation: Pincer claws are considered normal natural weapons.
Effect: A scorpionfolk with this graft gains two pincer claw attacks in addition to its standard claws, Each claw does 1d8 points of damage. When making a full attack, a scorpionfolk can use its stinger, pincer claws and standard claws (or a weapon grasped within them). In most cases, the scorpionfolk elects to use its stinger as the primary weapon, thus the other claw attacks incur a -5 penalty to their attack rolls. Many scorpionfolk take the Multiattack feat in order to overcome this deficiency.
A pincer claw can also be used to grapple opponents of equal or smaller size to the scorpionfolk. IF it strikes with either pincer claw, it may start a grapple without provoking an attack of opportunity. If it’s successful, it can crush the grappled opponent for 1d8 damage. On subsequent rounds, the scorpionfolk can elect to crush a grappled opponent in its claw (automatically causing 1d8 damage) or attack using its stinger (the victim gains no dexterity bonus to AC, and furthermore the scorpionfolk gains a +4to attack rolls). A creature grappled in a pincer claw can only attack opponents in adjacent squares and can only cast spells following a successful concentration check (DC 15). Attack rolls and skill checks incur -4 penalties.
To grapple a foe of equal size to the scorpionfolk it must make a successful grapple attempt with both pincers. With regards to creatures smaller than scorpionfolk, only a single pincer is needed. Thus, in theory a scorpionfolk can simultaneously grapple a smaller creature in each claw.

Construction: Requires Create Scorpionfolk Graft, Magic Fang, 3,000 GP, 240 XP, 5 days
Graft donor: Claws from a Monstrous Scorpion of large size.
Graft sacrifice: -5’ to speed.
Price: 6,000 GP
MalariaMoon Posted - 03 Dec 2011 : 16:01:12
Spitting Stinger

The barb of the scorpionfolk’s stinger has been transformed into a hollow nozzle which can spit poison at its enemies.

Graft location: Tail Stinger
Description: This stinger graft replaces the scorpionfolk’s barb with a thin cylinder of transparent chitin. The bulb is startlingly distended with three separate sacks of different coloured poison – purple, amber and crimson. A complicated network of tubings connect these venom sacks with the nozzle, these pipes are stretched throughout the scorpionfolk’s tail. By rapid flexing of its tail, the scorpionfolk can generate enough pressure within the tubes to shoot spurts of poison at its enemies.
The different coloured poisons have correspondingly different effects, all of which take effect upon contact with the skin. The purple poison is simply a less viscous variant of the standard scorpionfolk venom. The amber poison is directed at the eyes of opponents, and causes a blindness that can last several days. The crimson poison has hallucinogenic properties, sowing confusion amongst those it contacts. This final type is considered sacred to the scorpionfolk, who ingest small amounts to experience short, intense visions. It is also mildly addictive, and scorpionfolk with this graft often become hooked on their own juices. On rare occasions, the dependence becomes so grave the scorpionfolk does nothing but imbibe its poison, making it useless to the wider communities it serves. When this happens, the chitincrafters forcible reclaim the valuable stinger graft (invariably leading to the death of the host).
Activation: Using the spitting stinger is a full round action.
Effect: The spitting stinger has a range of 20’ and can be used against one target per round. The scorpionfolk makes a ranged attack to strike its target.
The purple poison is identical to its host’s normal stinger venom.
The amber poison is only effective if directed into the eyes of a foe. Obviously this requires greater accuracy from the scorpionfolk, who suffers a penalty to his attack roll. Consider -4 to be the standard penalty, but the DM may opt to increase this penalty if the target’s eyes are especially well protected. If the target is struck and fails a DC 15 Fortitude save he is blinded for 1d4 days.
The crimson, hallucinogenic poison can be resisted with a DC 18 Will save. Those who fail their save are considered under the effects of confusion (as per the spell, although this is a nonmagical effect) for 3d4 rounds.
Each poison sack of the spitting stinger contains enough venom to be used three times per day (thus it can make a total of nine attacks per day). The stinger itself is too weak to be used in melee.

Construction: Requires Create Scorpionfolk Graft, Blindness/Deafness, Confusion, 480 XP, 6,000 GP, 10 days
Graft donor: Glands from a Giant Bombardier Beetle.
Graft sacrifice: -2 Wisdom (permanent).
Price: 12,000 GP

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000