Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Rising Stars

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Dennis Posted - 17 Oct 2011 : 17:07:43

The rising stars of today may be the greats of tomorrow. There have been a number of fairly new fantasists who have proven their worth. Of course, I am not saying those not included in the options haven't proven theirs. As there are only 12 choices, then....

Of all that you've read, who is your favorite?
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Artemas Entreri Posted - 25 Oct 2012 : 14:34:40
quote:
Originally posted by Entromancer

Joe Abercrombie; He doesn't pull his punches and the characters are pretty likeable. Black Dow FTW!

Second up is Tom Lloyd.

Abercrombie's characters are always either likeable or hateable, but they always pull the reader into the story.
Thauranil Posted - 25 Oct 2012 : 14:28:10
I am going with Paul S Kemp. He is one of my favorite authors.
Dennis Posted - 25 Oct 2012 : 06:57:59
quote:
Originally posted by Entromancer

Second up is Tom Lloyd.
Have you finished reading all the books in Twilight Reign series?

I managed to reach Chapter 11 of Stormcaller. Lloyd has potential, yet he lacks 'focus.' And most of his characters are two-dimensional. Isak is very difficult to like. I have yet to find at least one redeeming quality of his. Lord Bahl would have been interesting, if he's given enough 'voice.' I'm not closing my doors for this book, or this series, but it might be awhile till I get back to it again...
Entromancer Posted - 25 Oct 2012 : 00:31:17
Joe Abercrombie; He doesn't pull his punches and the characters are pretty likeable. Black Dow FTW!

Second up is Tom Lloyd.
Artemas Entreri Posted - 24 Oct 2012 : 15:11:37
quote:
Originally posted by Quale

he is a real bastard, tough a lesser evil compared to his enemies

Indeed
Quale Posted - 24 Oct 2012 : 09:42:31
he is a real bastard, tough a lesser evil compared to his enemies
Artemas Entreri Posted - 23 Oct 2012 : 19:54:10
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

Is Bayaz really unsual and cool at the same time? You see, my ex has the tendency to exaggerate.

Bayaz was a pretty interesting character but Logan Ninefingers and Glotka were my favs.
Dennis Posted - 23 Oct 2012 : 18:24:49

Is Bayaz really unsual and cool at the same time? You see, my ex has the tendency to exaggerate.
Artemas Entreri Posted - 23 Oct 2012 : 15:19:38
quote:

I remember about 2 months ago my not-so-recent ex called me, and at some point in that almost 1-hour conversion he recommended me Abercrombie's books. He reads fantasy a lot, but I rarely trust his judgement on his choice of books. So....

Seriously, though, Abercrombie's series has been on my To-Buy list long before that talk.

Abercrombie is great! My favorite thing about his writing is the phenomenal character development. Abercrombie is a master at creating gray characters who are extremely engrossing and he enjoys creating non-traditional roles. In every book that I have read by him it has always been hard to pick 1 favorite character.

Dennis Posted - 23 Oct 2012 : 15:08:08

I remember about 2 months ago my not-so-recent ex called me, and at some point in that almost 1-hour conversion he recommended me Abercrombie's books. He reads fantasy a lot, but I rarely trust his judgement on his choice of books. So....

Seriously, though, Abercrombie's series has been on my To-Buy list long before that talk.
Artemas Entreri Posted - 23 Oct 2012 : 13:52:43
When this poll first came out I voted for Brent Weeks; and while I do love him I would change my vote to Joe Abercrombie if I voted today. Since this poll came out I have read 4 of Abercrombie's books and LOVE them all. I can't recommend him enough to fans of fantasy, especially gritty fantasy.
Dennis Posted - 23 Oct 2012 : 06:20:38

I've heard a lot of good things about his contribution to the phenomenal WoT series. But I myself stopped reading at Book 8. So it'd be awhile, probably, before I can get my hands on Sanderson's 'closing' novels. His Mistborn series is excellent. Well, the original trilogy, that is. [Couldn't stand The Alloy of Law. Talk about needlessly destroying your own creation.]
CorellonsDevout Posted - 23 Oct 2012 : 06:06:00
Wow, tough one. Kemp, Brent Weeks--loved Night Angel trilogy, and Brandon Sanderson. He had a tough job taking over Wheel of Time, and I think he's done fairly well.
Dennis Posted - 23 Oct 2012 : 05:41:36
quote:
Originally posted by Quale

Sanderson, he stepped up with the Way of Kings. I don't know the Wheel of Time cause I stopped reading it.
Rothfuss, he could write well about anything, even what's considered filler.
Stover, I only read the Acts of Caine.

If you haven't yet read it, I recommend his Mistborn series.

Yes, Rothfuss writes well. But I would have been happier if he avoided fillers, which for me have always been [not just in his novels] an unwelcome distraction. That's how I felt the first time I read The Name of the Wind. Either I've warmed to it, or I was just too impatient the first time I read it, because now I don't dislike the fillers anymore. I think they enhance the story more, giving Kvothe more 'backbone,' so to speak.

I haven't read Stover's Acts of Caine, but I would in the very future [because I loved his Test of Metal.]

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by entreri3478

I have only read the 1st book in the Legends of the Riftwar series (not sure if i remembered the title correctly) and like you I have had Jimmy the Hand for awhile without reading it.

Honored Enemy, Book 1 of the Legends of the Riftwar, is good. But I recommend you start with Magician, the very first book of the Riftwar Cycle. It has been expanded into two books, Magician: Apprentice and Magician: Master. Then you can proceed to Silverthorn and A Darkness in Sethanon. That's Feist's first epic trilogy. In this series there are also assassins [which I gather you like?]. Though the assassins, calling themselves Nighthawks, didn't have much screen time until The Darkwar Saga, which is a great trilogy as well.

Correction: Magician was split by the publisher into two smaller chunks, Magician: Apprentice and Magician: Master. It wasn't expanded until they released Magician: The Author's Preferred Edition, considerably later. Some of what was in The Author's Preferred Edition was excised original material, but there were some additions, as well.

I read those non-expanded versions so many times that when I now read the Preferred Edition, I can still pick out the parts that weren't in the original release.
You have the right of it. I used the wrong word: not expanded, but split. I've also read and re-read the Author's Preferred Edition, quite as often as the original.

quote:
Originally posted by Entreri3478

I have actually read Brian Ruckley's first book, Winterbirth. Was not too impressed.
Hehe. Thought so. It was probably good for a one time (I'm-a-bit-curious) read only. Everything about that book is, well, mediocre. Though there were moments when I found the main 'hero' likeable.
Quale Posted - 22 Oct 2011 : 14:36:50
Abercrombie, he is now my favorite fantasy writer, before it was GRRM, who has a similar style. And these new (?) authors have potential

Sanderson, he stepped up with the Way of Kings. I don't know the Wheel of Time cause I stopped reading it.
Rothfuss, he could write well about anything, even what's considered filler.
Lynch, the pirates in his last book ruined everything.
Bakker, has a fantastic world, but needs to speed up the plot and breaks the suspension of disbelief too much.
Stover, I only read the Acts of Caine

Can't say that I was impressed with Ruckley or Weeks.
Artemas Entreri Posted - 20 Oct 2011 : 13:51:07
I have actually read Brian Ruckley's first book, Winterbirth. Was not too impressed.
The Sage Posted - 20 Oct 2011 : 05:12:37
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I have only read the 1st book in the Legends of the Riftwar series (not sure if i remembered the title correctly) and like you I have had Jimmy the Hand for awhile without reading it.

Honored Enemy, Book 1 of the Legends of the Riftwar, is good. But I recommend you start with Magician, the very first book of the Riftwar Cycle. It has been expanded into two books, Magician: Apprentice and Magician: Master. Then you can proceed to Silverthorn and A Darkness in Sethanon. That's Feist's first epic trilogy. In this series there are also assassins [which I gather you like?]. Though the assassins, calling themselves Nighthawks, didn't have much screen time until The Darkwar Saga, which is a great trilogy as well.

LOL, i should have clarified. I have read everything that Feist has written except for 2nd & 3rd books of the Legends of the Rift War.

I have also yet to read the 3 books he wrote with Janny Wurts, even though i own them

Oops. My mistake, too. I tend to overtalk when it comes to Feist's novels.

I haven't yet read the Empire Trilogy either. I'll get to it soon. I suppose it's a great series as well, given some references to Mara of the Acoma in The Darkwar Saga.

Yeah it will probably be a good series, but i was always more interested in what was happening on Midkemia

Ditto, but the Empire Trilogy is really good. It's more political intrigue than anything else, but I still very much enjoy the books. It gives a great view of Tsurani politics, and we see it transformed throughout the trilogy. You also learn more about the cho-ja. And one of my favorite parts is seeing Milamber's destruction of the Imperial Games from another angle.

I really need to read the "Empire Trilogy," [That's the one that starts with Daughter of the Empire, right?] because I've got a Feist-fan work colleague who is always pestering me about reading it.
Tyrant Posted - 20 Oct 2011 : 04:09:18
I voted for Paul because I haven't read anything by any of the other authors. Having said that, I have read some of Paul's FR and SW books and the others would have to be quite good for me to choose them over Paul.
Nilus Reynard Posted - 20 Oct 2011 : 03:28:41
quote:

quote:

I've not heard of most of the authors on this poll. Some of the ones I have heard of, I've not read anything by.

This poll also seems rather subjective, with the "proven their worth" bit. What defines that? The results may also be skewed by including an FR author and asking the question on an FR forum (no disrespect to Mr. Kemp; just pointing out that it's like walking into an Apple store and asking which is better, Apple or Microsoft?).

I am with you on this one. Also: I love the Forgotten Realms books and authors, but even the best ones can't compare to the epic 500+ page decade spanning independant fantasy series that are out there.

Same here.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 19 Oct 2011 : 22:22:45
quote:

Speaking of the cho-ja, I remember, in Wrath of a Mad God, Miranda warned them of Kelewan's destruction and advised them to take the portals [that Pug opened] to another habitable world. But their Queen declined, saying that they were part of Kelewan, that whatever fate it would face---growth or destruction---they would embrace it, too. In the Empire Trilogy, was there an in-depth elucidation to this rather bizarre view of the cho-ja?

I don't recall... It's quite literally been years since I've read those books.
Dennis Posted - 19 Oct 2011 : 20:02:31
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

LOL, i should have clarified. I have read everything that Feist has written except for 2nd & 3rd books of the Legends of the Rift War.

I have also yet to read the 3 books he wrote with Janny Wurts, even though i own them

I haven't yet read the Empire Trilogy either. I'll get to it soon. I suppose it's a great series as well, given some references to Mara of the Acoma in The Darkwar Saga.

Yeah it will probably be a good series, but i was always more interested in what was happening on Midkemia

Ditto, but the Empire Trilogy is really good. It's more political intrigue than anything else, but I still very much enjoy the books. It gives a great view of Tsurani politics, and we see it transformed throughout the trilogy. You also learn more about the cho-ja. And one of my favorite parts is seeing Milamber's destruction of the Imperial Games from another angle.

Speaking of the cho-ja, I remember, in Wrath of a Mad God, Miranda warned them of Kelewan's destruction and advised them to take the portals [that Pug opened] to another habitable world. But their Queen declined, saying that they were part of Kelewan, that whatever fate it would face---growth or destruction---they would embrace it, too. In the Empire Trilogy, was there an in-depth elucidation to this rather bizarre view of the cho-ja?
Wooly Rupert Posted - 19 Oct 2011 : 19:25:54
quote:

quote:

Correction: Magician was split by the publisher into two smaller chunks, Magician: Apprentice and Magician: Master. It wasn't expanded until they released Magician: The Author's Preferred Edition, considerably later. Some of what was in The Author's Preferred Edition was excised original material, but there were some additions, as well.

I read those non-expanded versions so many times that when I now read the Preferred Edition, I can still pick out the parts that weren't in the original release.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 19 Oct 2011 : 19:21:38
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Artemas Entreri Posted - 19 Oct 2011 : 18:13:00
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Dennis Posted - 19 Oct 2011 : 16:48:50
quote:

quote:

quote:

Artemas Entreri Posted - 19 Oct 2011 : 16:36:51
quote:

quote:

Dennis Posted - 19 Oct 2011 : 16:33:11
quote:

Artemas Entreri Posted - 19 Oct 2011 : 16:16:54
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Dennis- have you read books from all of the authors on this poll?

Yes, except Abercrombie.

I know you are partial to magic-users, but do any of those authors write about assassins?

There are assassins in Scott Lynch's “The Lies of Locke Lamora” and “Red Seas Under Red Skies.” But the focus given to them aren't the same with those in Weeks's novels.

The hero, Locke, is a thief---almost as good as Jimmy The Hand from Feist's books.

Did you read Feist's Jimmy the Hand book? If so, did you enjoy it? Haven't read this one yet

Not yet, though I bought it a long time ago. Whenever I am inclined to read it, another book steals my attention. But I read almost all of Feist's novels, including those where Jimmy had a considerable "screen time." He's one of the very few non-wizard characters I like. His rise from a mere thief to the Duke of Krondor is such an interesting story. He never actually severed the ties to his former "occupation."

If you wish to know more about Jimmy and his self-titled novel, I suggest you also ask Wooly. Jimmy has been his long-time favorite.

Dennis Posted - 19 Oct 2011 : 15:55:33
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yes, except Abercrombie.

I know you are partial to magic-users, but do any of those authors write about assassins?

There are assassins in Scott Lynch's “The Lies of Locke Lamora” and “Red Seas Under Red Skies.” But the focus given to them aren't the same with those in Weeks's novels.

The hero, Locke, is a thief---almost as good as Jimmy The Hand from Feist's books.

Did you read Feist's Jimmy the Hand book? If so, did you enjoy it? Haven't read this one yet

Not yet, though I bought it a long time ago. Whenever I am inclined to read it, another book steals my attention. But I read almost all of Feist's novels, including those where Jimmy had a considerable "screen time." He's one of the very few non-wizard characters I like. His rise from a mere thief to the Duke of Krondor is such an interesting story. He never actually severed the ties to his former "occupation."

If you wish to know more about Jimmy and his self-titled novel, I suggest you also ask Wooly. Jimmy has been his long-time favorite.
Artemas Entreri Posted - 19 Oct 2011 : 15:44:24
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yes, except Abercrombie.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000